Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

People get way too caught up in the short term varience of a cup competition especially looking at it over one season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

People get way too caught up in the short term varience of a cup competition especially looking at it over one season

Exactly you can pull out countless teams that have got to finals of European competitions and went on to do **** all afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Drumpot wrote: »
    You see that logic can be applied both ways but the question is really who do you trust ? Why would any United fan trust the players ? What have the players done over the last 5 seasons to deserve such a defence? Jose has won more English league titles in the last 5 years then any United player during that term so why shouldn't we trust he knows more about setting teams up to win then players who haven't proven anything in the 5 years ?

I was talking about a Champions fixture, not a premier league game. What defence am I giving to the players? I just said I doubt that over a period of 6 or 7 matches where they showed a winning, big game mentality that they just cherry picked the two Champions league games to have a bad attitude in and just stroll around. I don't know why you're talking about trust at all.
    To be frank I trust that Jose is rooting out chancers and player simply not up to the challenge of winning leagues or champions leagues. Its unsettling players who have coasted along and been given a very easy ride by fans like yourself who default to blaming coaches if things aren't working out. Jose's standards are simply higher then yours when it comes to what he expects from a player.

What a ridiculous thing to say. I don't default to blaming coaches, but I don't completely absolve them of any blame when they've been in charge of a side that they've invested hundreds of million in for almost 2 years. How am I giving the players a free ride? I was lambasted for daring to criticise Lukaku earlier in the season. I've been questioning the effectiveness of Mata for years, and I've criticised Sanchez on a number of occasions too. I don't have much time for Fellaini either, but as we've seen from the treatment of bangkok, criticising him is frowned upon also. The shortcomings of, and need to replace the likes of Valencia, Young and Small goes without saying. I give plenty of criticism to the players, maybe just not the players you and others want me to criticise.
    In terms of Liverpool getting to a champions league final I am not sure why that is relevant in this discussion. They beat Man City on the way to that final and we all know they aren't better then city, its just the nature of cup competitions. Very similar to giant killings in FA cup and surprise finalists that do happen , even in Europe. Of course avoiding the biggest Euro powerhouses Barca, Madrid, PSG and Juventus and getting a few dodgy decisions go you way helps but this is the nature of cup football.

They were certainly better than City over the two legs in that Champions League game. Yeah maybe they got favourable draws, but so did we with Sevilla. They had a few dodgy decisions go against them also, just like we had a few dodgy decisions go our way when we played Liverpool and City recently. That's football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Apparently Rooney is sniffing out a move to the MLS, he probably should have gone straight there but was a help with the Lukaku deal so thankfully he didn't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I think both the players and Jose have to take her blame for those CL games. It was a pathetic effort. It was obvious that Jose had taken a very cautious approach which ultimately cost is the tie. It was the first time this season that I had serious reservations about the manager and backing him. It was pure cowardice on his part

Now the players don’t get away scot free. Despite the negative tactics, they were utterly abysmal, couldn’t pass a ball 5 yards, couldn’t press the ball, I could go on. It’s like they toook the tactics and instructions as a get out of jail to not try.
    This group have shown time and time again that they can sleep walk through a game and do the bare minimum if they can. It’s like they are under a collective spell and the sloppiness and lack of effort and application is like a contagion. Uttterly characterless group.

I have to say I’m more in Jose’s camp than the players. Despite the utter dross we have been served up numerous times this season(and those near unforgivable CL ties) we are in the quite surreal position of finishing second with a healthy points total and an FA cup final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭xtal191

Away jersey leaked

manchester-united-18-19-away-kit-2.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

RNC saying Real are after Allison of Roma, and not DDG :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Lord TSC wrote:
    RNC saying Real are after Allison of Roma, and not DDG

I'm good with that ....
    Plus I heard the noisy scousers want him too so double happiness

I'd have nothing against Ashley Young being a squad player next season, but talk of Young having 50 games/appearances in 2018/19 doesn't fill me with confidence...

Jose Mourinho feels Ashley Young has improved significantly at full-back in the last two seasons and will be a key member of his Manchester United squad once again next term.

The versatile Englishman could make his 200th appearance for the club in all competitions, since arriving at Old Trafford in 2011, when the Reds make the trip to the London Stadium to face West Ham United on Thursday.
    Operating mainly at left-back, Young has been an integral figure this term. He has played 36 times so far, scoring twice – against his former club Watford in November – and registering seven assists.

Speaking to MUTV’s Stewart Gardner ahead of the game, Mourinho praised the former Aston Villa man, who turns 33 in July, for overcoming a series of injury setbacks and taking his game to another level since the boss took charge in the summer of 2016.

“When I arrived, he was playing a few matches per season,” said Jose. “For the last couple of seasons, lots of injuries, lots of doubts, lots of question marks about his future at the highest level.

“In two years, we managed to have him, even with the important injury he had at the end of last season, but we had him for lots of matches, being important, probably going to the World Cup [with Gareth Southgate's England].

“I think he’s better now than he was two years ago. That’s the way I see things and, next year again, he will be an important member of our squad. If he’s now on 200, I hope, next season, he goes into the 250s.”

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2018/May/Jose-Mourinho-praises-Ashley-Young-ahead-of-his-200th-manchester-united-appearance.aspx

Been a moderate fan/defender of he and Valencia at various points, but if we're relying on them as first choice full backs once again next season I fear for the next step in the club's progression.

I take some promise in the fact that Jose said that Young will be an important member of our 'squad' next year. And that maybe the '250s' talk is just Jose offering Young something to think about as we go into a Summer window where Young will likely consider his future at the club once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

God help us if Ashley Young is first choice next season.

Part of Manchester City’s success is the mobility and dynamism of their fullbacks.

It should be a key focus this summer.

• Advertisement

Part of Manchester City’s success is the mobility and dynamism of their fullbacks.

Ah here Fabian Delph and Oleksandr Zinchenko were the LB's for most of the season FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Think he is playing up Young just in case he doesn’t land his First choice left back..

astradave wrote: »
    Think he is playing up Young just in case he doesn’t land his First choice left back..

Hopefully so. If I’d to replace only one of the full backs it would be Valencia but I think both need to be upgraded.

pjohnson wrote: »

Ah here Fabian Delph and Oleksandr Zinchenko were the LB's for most of the season FFS.

Mendy and Walker are first choice, with the former injured for a good chunk of the season admittedly.

As much as I can appreciate both Valencia and young for their professionalism, I might cry if they are our fbs next season

He says "important part of our squad".

Given his performance, I'd imagine Jose seems him as a squad player next season. Not a starter but a good back up option to have. Same as Valencia, I'd imagine. Neither should be first choice but if they are happy with squad roles, they will still get games.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    He says "important part of our squad".

Given his performance, I'd imagine Jose seems him as a squad player next season. Not a starter but a good back up option to have. Same as Valencia, I'd imagine. Neither should be first choice but if they are happy with squad roles, they will still get games.

It’s the part about getting him from 200 to 250 that has me worried; that’s regular starter territory.

It’s the part about getting him from 200 to 250 that has me worried; that’s regular starter territory.

I'd take it as hyperbole to make a player feel happy.

Plus, he could get 50 games off coming off the bench if the number was what he was after.

Those matches could be 5 mins 10 mins etc etc.. coming on for a bit of stability, I’d say he will be used as a bench player and I’m hoping that if we buy new fullbacks we will have them moving up and down the pitch, they will be essential to the attack so they might tire, that’s where a good back up will be essential too, bringing on Young/Valencia with 10 mins to go will allow us to stick with the same plan for 90 mins

How long is Youngs contract? If its a two year deal thats nothing.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    How long is Youngs contract? If its a two year deal thats nothing.

Think he got a one year extension on his contract last year that would bring him up to next summer.. not 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Surprised to see Young has 7 assists this season. Didn't he go 18 months or so without 1 not too long ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Young is fine as a squad option but it would be madness if he is first choice next season.

Fergie out of ICU bit will remain in hospital according to Sky News :D

Really am so happy for him even tho none of us know.him personally he has co tributes so much joy to all of our lives.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Really am so happy for him even tho none of us know.him personally he has co tributes so much joy to all of our lives.

Exactly my thoughts, so many people are grateful for what he has done with Aberdeen, United and with other coaches, he definitely deserves a long retirement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Was lucky enough to chat to Sir Alex when I was a young lad going over with a local supporters club, the first time he announced he was going to retire. There were a few of us younger fans with the group and he stood with us chatting after we presented him with some nice whiskey. Absolute gentleman. Was honestly shook when I heard the news on Saturday that he was in the ICU, delighted he's on the mend. That crafty Scot will outlive us all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Jayo largely answered in the same way I would have. So I won't repeat his sentiments.

I'd ask you though (and I mean you, not others). Would you like to see Jose sacked?

Despite the fact we achieved second, and had pur best league statistics by far this season, you seem to suggest you have no faith that we can build and improve this summer. So would you then feel you would like to see Jose run out the door, despite coming second in the league?

For what it's worth, I disagree about Your point on Klopp there. As mentioned earlier, there's a blueprint to beat his teams now, and I'd large say the same about him as you said about Jose. He will have a more expensive team but tbh I don't think he has it in him tomkick on another level and push ahead of either us or City next season. His weaknesses have been there for years and he hasn't addressed them, and I don't think he will change his tactical game plan next season either....

Sorry, I didn't mean to seemingly ignore this.

I wanted Jose when SAF left, when Moyes left and when LVG left - i was fully behind him from the start.

But, I would be happy to see him sacked in the morning if I am being honest. I think he has underachieved in terms of performance for the last 2 seasons and I don't see evidence of that changing. His approach to games is consistenly flawed and a large part of why we are so far off the pace. City have had a fantastic season and I honestly don't think anyone could have beaten them to the league, but the squad of players we have is good enough for it still to be an issue now, not settled weeks ago.

He isn't getting the best out of Lukaku, Sanchez, Martial, Rashford or Pogba - and on paper that is as good as anyone has in the league, but City have scored 40 goals more than us.

The matches we play, for the most part, are utterly boring to watch. I honestly feel 2nd place is flatering to the side and the performances this season.

I don't understand what he is actually trying to acheive with the teams he plays.

We are slow to move the ball forward, we don't try to stretch the oppostion in any direction - we don't play wide and we don't try to push in behind them. Our entire attacking plan appears to be everyone run into the centre and hope *something* happens. We congest the middle so the opposition can set deep and central giving no space to Pogba, to Lukaku, to Sanchez or anyone else. Everything is attempted in a tight space in the middle of the pitch and becomes much easier to defend against.

I don't see the method in what he is trying to bring us towards - i can only see him looking to buy players to play in the same role he currently has out on the pitch, just hoping they do it better than the current player - when fundementally I think the style of play is a massive part of the problem.

If Jose was to go in the morning, I don't think the list of managers that we could look at, who could at least do no worse in terms of performance, is that small. I don't think getting the same (at least) or more out of Lukaku, Pogba, Sanchez, Martial, Rashford is that difficult a task.

Looking at the two seasons we have had, looking at the progression in the style of football and performances in matches, I don't see enough forward progress to assume things will be better with a couple of tweaks going in to next season. We will spend another fortune in the summer, we will go into the new season with some renewed hope - but right now I would put money on us being basically the same side, with the same performance levels, for more money.

And I know people point to second place and fa cup final - and they point to that as progress - and evidentially it is, I can't argue against those stats. But, I will always look to performances over results as I believe that long term consistently great performances will get us great results - while dour mediocre performances will lead to mediocre results. If United don't significantly improve the style of play and level of performance, on a consistent basis next season then (1) we absolutely will not win the league (2) absolutely not win the CL (3) or possibly not even match the results of this season.

My firm belief is the performances, on a consistent basis, are fundementally not good enough, by a long stretch and I do not have faith in Mourinho to change his approach or fix the issues in the current squad. And while I think there are big issues with the squad itself, I honestly don't think it matters who we bring in this summer because while Jose won't change we won't get the best out of our squad, no matter who makes it up.

• Advertisement

Thats fair enough.

There's not much I can say in reply other than I disagree totally with your viewpoint on pretty much every level....

Bloody Chelsea, ruining our hopes of Pool coming fifth :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I wanted Jose when SAF left, when Moyes left and when LVG left - i was fully behind him from the start.

But, I would be happy to see him sacked in the morning if I am being honest. I think he has underachieved in terms of performance for the last 2 seasons and I don't see evidence of that changing. His approach to games is consistenly flawed and a large part of why we are so far off the pace. City have had a fantastic season and I honestly don't think anyone could have beaten them to the league, but the squad of players we have is good enough for it still to be an issue now, not settled weeks ago.

He isn't getting the best out of Lukaku, Sanchez, Martial, Rashford or Pogba - and on paper that is as good as anyone has in the league, but City have scored 40 goals more than us.

The matches we play, for the most part, are utterly boring to watch. I honestly feel 2nd place is flatering to the side and the performances this season.

I don't understand what he is actually trying to acheive with the teams he plays.

We are slow to move the ball forward, we don't try to stretch the oppostion in any direction - we don't play wide and we don't try to push in behind them. Our entire attacking plan appears to be everyone run into the centre and hope *something* happens. We congest the middle so the opposition can set deep and central giving no space to Pogba, to Lukaku, to Sanchez or anyone else. Everything is attempted in a tight space in the middle of the pitch and becomes much easier to defend against.

I don't see the method in what he is trying to bring us towards - i can only see him looking to buy players to play in the same role he currently has out on the pitch, just hoping they do it better than the current player - when fundementally I think the style of play is a massive part of the problem.

If Jose was to go in the morning, I don't think the list of managers that we could look at, who could at least do no worse in terms of performance, is that small. I don't think getting the same (at least) or more out of Lukaku, Pogba, Sanchez, Martial, Rashford is that difficult a task.

Looking at the two seasons we have had, looking at the progression in the style of football and performances in matches, I don't see enough forward progress to assume things will be better with a couple of tweaks going in to next season. We will spend another fortune in the summer, we will go into the new season with some renewed hope - but right now I would put money on us being basically the same side, with the same performance levels, for more money.

And I know people point to second place and fa cup final - and they point to that as progress - and evidentially it is, I can't argue against those stats. But, I will always look to performances over results as I believe that long term consistently great performances will get us great results - while dour mediocre performances will lead to mediocre results. If United don't significantly improve the style of play and level of performance, on a consistent basis next season then (1) we absolutely will not win the league (2) absolutely not win the CL (3) or possibly not even match the results of this season.

My firm belief is the performances, on a consistent basis, are fundementally not good enough, by a long stretch and I do not have faith in Mourinho to change his approach or fix the issues in the current squad. And while I think there are big issues with the squad itself, I honestly don't think it matters who we bring in this summer because while Jose won't change we won't get the best out of our squad, no matter who makes it up.

Great post.

Ha, better from Chelsea as I post that.

I know I always seem to have a go at you sometime Mitch and I do disagree with you when you talk about evidence but that post was excellent and you got your points across and I understand where most of what you say and where your coming from.

People in this thread get accused of ganging up on people with a negative or different opinion but that's not true it's just they don't actually try to explain why they feel that way they just come out with the same generic one liners all the time.

I don't need to explain in detail why I feel optimistic about next year it's mostly because I feel the team are letting themselves down because the league was over early but they have put in excellent results and performances against the top teams this year.

I think the summer we get some key signings in lift the squad and renewed challenge and start again will sorry that out but I do agree if they play the same way next year we won't win anything and the manager deserves to go.

Anyway good post mate.

Personally I think the most telling thing is the likes of Mitch’s view on Mourinho, whether you agree with it or not isn’t really an “out there” opinion and one that is easy to understand why he holds that view.

That’s really at Jose’s door when it comes down to it, that the idea that he has somewhat failed and it will not get any better is easily palletable and understandable whether you agree with it or not.

Whatever end of the spectrum you lie at, lm sure most would agree that next season is make or break for Jose.

• Advertisement

Did we not start this season like a train, and knock in four goals a few times, with Martial doing particularly well?

I blame the players for the malaise (if it’s even fair to call 2nd and a possible FA Cup win that).

How can Jose be blamed for international stars butchering relatively mundane tasks on the pitch?

Did we not start this season like a train, and knock in four goals a few times, with Martial doing particularly well?

I blame the players for the malaise (if it’s even fair to call 2nd and a possible FA Cup win that).

How can Jose be blamed for international stars butchering relatively mundane tasks on the pitch?

Have a read of Mitch’s post again. It’s all there. Whether you agree with it or not is another thing but all the reasons why he wants Mourinho gone and why he holds him ultimately accountable are in that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

He can be blamed because he trains them, he picks the team, ill say it again if Pep was in charge of this united team we would have more points and more goals this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

United started the season very well. The point where that changed was the Liverpool game in Anfield. Liverpool were awful at that stage and playing very poorly but Jose set you up extremely negatively and it was like the players didn't know what to do. After that game it never seemed that the team got its mojo back. They ground out results and got plenty of wins but it wasn't like the start of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Great post, pretty much sums up my feelings as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,201 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Players like Young getting goals and assists are the reason we are 2nd and not 5th or 7th this season, it may not be pretty but it has gotten us to the best position since Fergies retirement.

If Mourinho is doing such a bad job, then why have we gone from disaster under Moyes and Van Gaal to potentially three trophies in two years and 2nd place?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

If Mourinho is doing such a bad job, then why have we gone from disaster under Moyes and Van Gaal to potentially three trophies in two years and 2nd place?

Since Fergie left we have finished 22, 17, 15, 24, and currently 20 points behind first place, we’re as far from winning the league as ever and the football is bloody awful, if we were finishing second and within 7 or 8 point then fine thats progress, as someone else said earlier, it’s going to be another summer of spending crazy money for not much gain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

If you can't see improvement under Mourinho you just don't want to see it.

Under Moyes and Van Gaal we were a laughing stock. Teams that hadn't won at OT in decades were beating us and all kinds of horrendous records were being set.

Under Jose we're back dominating possession and while our attacking play isn't quite there yet, we've come a long way from opposition fans singing about us not sacking our manager they were so bad.

(Skittles joke about how everything Moyes touched went to sh1t etc)

Next season we all hope we can kick on again and if we don't, questions will be asked.

Two years in, year 2 an improvement on year 1. People need to watch back some of the Moyes, Van Gaal matches- it was a joke.

shane. wrote: »
    Since Fergie left we have finished 22, 17, 15, 24, and currently 20 points behind first place, we’re as far from winning the league as ever and the football is bloody awful, if we were finishing second and within 7 or 8 point then fine thats progress, as someone else said earlier, it’s going to be another summer of spending crazy money for not much gain

3 of those years we finished outside the champions league spots, we are currently in 2nd and made the champions league places comfortably enough. You cant say we arent making progress based on how many points we are behind first as city are (most likely) having an outlier of a year.

If you want to say we are as far from winning the league as we have been those other years then youd be closer to being correct, we were still best of the rest though.

Jose is the manager we needed after the two big failures that were moyes and lvg he has improved the squad and got us back into the champions league even if it was through the uefa cup last year. Next season he does need to be making a meaningful challenge at the league and improve in the champions league.

He deserves the chance for what he has done even if its the minimum thats been required of him. Next year if things are still the same and no further progress has been made then his job can be looked at but not before then imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

"Think he's going to be here next season."

"Club doesn't want to sell."

"In this moment, he's staying."

anigif_sub-buzz-25972-1479741401-2.gif

shane. wrote: »
    And our worst league positon was the time we were 15 points behind Leicester. Great metric to use altogether :pac:

Some new comments from Jose about Pogba and the quality of the squad...
    Jose wrote:

On Pogba staying...

"I think he's going to be here next season...that's my feeling. In this moment, for me, he's staying, yes."

"I can give the guarantee that I don't want him to leave, that the club doesn't want to sell him, and I can give you the guarantee that we don't have any approach from him or his agent or from any club."

On the squad...

"I trust some more than others that can bridge that gap," "Some of the players I am totally convinced are going to make it, some others I have good hopes that they are going to make it, and some others I don't believe they are going to make it,"

Unless there is a perfect squad, where if you buy one goalkeeper you don't like, you buy another one. You buy a central defender you don't like, you buy another one.

Unless you can do that, you have to keep players you don't love - when I say love, I say it 'footballistically' - and players you don't totally believe have the level of the squad.

If you go to the Premier League managers, I don't say every one, but I say the majority of them will tell you the same. In my squad, I have some players where I would like to have better than what I have. That's basic."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Originally Posted by Jose

Unless there is a perfect squad, where if you buy one goalkeeper you don't like, you buy another one. You buy a central defender you don't like, you buy another one.

Wonder who hes talking about there :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement