Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

pjohnson wrote: »
    And our worst league positon was the time we were 15 points behind Leicester. Great metric to use altogether :pac:
    Finished 5th that season, 6th last season, progress alrite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

shane. wrote: »
    Finished 5th that season, 6th last season, progress alrite

Oh so is it final position that matters now not points gap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Lukaku the type of fella who's instinctive and better off not having time to think

https://twitter.com/utdreport/status/994191355818725376?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Lukaku the type of fella who's instinctive and better off not having time to think

No it just means he is more instinctive then most other players not that he is better off not having time to think about it.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Oh so is it final position that matters now not points gap?

Family_Guy_-_Brian_Foot.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

How do they even come up with that stat?

bangkok wrote: »
    How do they even come up with that stat?

If they can come up with expected goals and actually use it as a serious stat then goals when under pressure is a peace of cake.

Poll on sky sports. 78% dont want to see fellaini at united next season.

And as le Tissier says "Manchester United should be better than having 'throw on the big lad' as their plan B"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

And as le Tissier says "Manchester United should be better than having 'throw on the big lad' as their plan B"

Did you disagree with Fergies Plan B? Cause that was his too? The revisionism is crazy, most teams when chasing a win/draw will throw a big man up top..

I do hope we upgrade on him tbf but that’s not the reason why..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

There might be a moment, ten minutes from the end of the CL final when Liverpool wished they had a plan B.

Not too bothered if he stays or goes, but he has a role and fulfills it well.

And f#ck Le Tissier.
    Would like to be a fly on the wall when he looks back over his career and sees diddly squat.
    I'd say there's more silverware in Fellanis bathroom than in LeTissiers trophy cabinet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

astradave wrote: »
    Did you disagree with Fergies Plan B? Cause that was his too? The revisionism is crazy, most teams when chasing a win/draw will throw a big man up top..

Yeh, people always remember 1999 period. I would argue that the 2006-2013 period of success was way more counter attacking orientated and pragmatic like Jose then it was closer to the 1999 style that everybody remembers.

Jose signing Veron was when he started to shift tactics. I think it was after the defeat to Madrid in 2000. For all the fond memories United were able to ship goals in important games. That team in 2000 was, IMO, stronger then the one the season we won in 1999!!!

When you are winning titiles you don’t care or notice the brand of football as much. Up until this season Jose’s Chelsea has scored the most amount of goals in one season with the exact same brand of football he is playing with united.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Fergie didn't have a player whose sole job was that though, did he? Maybe Dion Dublin for a time after his injury?

Fergie would put one of the CBs up top if needed.

The only reason to keep Fellaini is for that plan B option, which we could potentially use other players for and change Fellaini out for a player that will be of more use to Plan A.

Fergie didn't have a player whose sole job was that though, did he? Maybe Dion Dublin for a time after his injury?

The only reason to keep Fellaini is for that plan B option, which we could potentially use other players for and change Fellaini out for a player that will be of more use to Plan A.

This makes me think of Steve Bruce X 2 versus Sheffield Wednesday!!!

I think though you need a CB who has a decent head on them....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I've always had a problem believing more than 22% of people know what's good for themselves alright.

What, bringing on fellaini??

Fergies plan b was a change in tactics, 3 even 4 strikers in some games, bringing on ole gunnar for years, teddy sheringham, tevez. Skillfull players, even macheda got a chance!!

• Advertisement

Possibly Sheringham, but he was great with the ball at his feet too.

I’m not arguing the second point, I would prefer an upgrade too, I’m just stating that LeTissier’s point is bull****, as thru the years United have always thrown a a big man up front as a Plan B when chasing a game,

Drumpot wrote: »
    Yeh, people always remember 1999 period. I would argue that the 2006-2013 period of success was way more counter attacking orientated and pragmatic like Jose then it was closer to the 1999 style that everybody remembers.

Jose signing Veron was when he started to shift tactics. I think it was after the defeat to Madrid in 2000. For all the fond memories United were able to ship goals in important games. That team in 2000 was, IMO, stronger then the one the season we won in 1999!!!

When you are winning titiles you don’t care or notice the brand of football as much. Up until this season Jose’s Chelsea has scored the most amount of goals in one season with the exact same brand of football he is playing with united.

Jose never signed veron ;)

Raneri signed him the year before Jose came in, didn’t he

Possibly Sheringham, but he was great with the ball at his feet too.

I’m not arguing the second point, I would prefer an upgrade too, I’m just stating that LeTissier’s point is bull****, as thru the years United have always thrown a a big man up front as a Plan B when chasing a game,

We havent always thrown a big man up front when chasing a game. That is nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Drumpot wrote: »

fergie you mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

The revisionism is crazy, most teams when chasing a win/draw will throw a big man up top..

Only this season we have seen Van Dijk up top for liverpool, kompany for city and cahill for chelsea. Who doesnt do this at some point when chasing a game?

VW 1 wrote: »
    Only this season we have seen Van Dijk up top for liverpool, kompany for city and cahill for chelsea. Who doesnt do this at some point when chasing a game?

Yea i agree with that, dont agree that fergie did it all the time and that was our plan B. We do it a lot with fellaini and we should be better than that

VW 1 wrote: »

Seemingly it's better to do it with a defender then to do it with someone that's proven they can do it time and again.

Imagine saying after the Liverpool game this season that ohh I wish we had a big lump of a defender in the squad then fellain who came on and turned the game for us and it wasn't to long ball got and hope to him either he gave us presence in a midfield that was been over run..

It's a joke.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Seemingly it's better to do it with a defender then to do it with someone that's proven they can do it time and again.

Imagine saying after the Liverpool game this season that ohh I wish we had a big lump of a defender in the squad then fellain who came on and turned the game for us and it wasn't to long ball got and hope to him either he gave us presence in a midfield that was been over run..

It's a joke.

I think the word your looking for is “agenda”

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

jayo26 wrote: »
    It's a joke.

Fellaini was bought by a manager who everyone hated, so he remains the personification of that reign. On top of that, he doesn't play "attractive" football like Pool and Spurs do. So he's an easy target. :/

So it doesn't matter how dedicated he can be, how he busts a gut and multiple managers love him for that. He will always be despised because of "what he represents".

Meanwhile, Martial, Shaw, kids who don't look bothered 75% of the time, are lauded as amazing talents and people get horrified at the prospect of losing them....

Priorities, for me, should be in having players willing to die on the pitch, for the team, for the manager and for the club. Fellaini shouldn't be a Plan A, or even a Plan B, but when a Plan C is needed, he's great to have.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    fergie you mean?
    Jose never signed veron ;)

Was just seeing if you were paying attention ! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/994518044805337088

Tuttosport are so convinced Mino Raiola has fallen out with Man United, they say the agent is set to push Justin Kluivert to Everton.http://sportwitness.co.uk/italy-agent-will-make-player-sign-everton-manchester-united/

Raiola has too much influence,I reckon it was him that was the instigator of the "Pogba is unhappy,etc etc etc" rumours. He's basically just on the lookout for another chunk of a massive transfer fee.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Fellaini was bought by a manager who everyone hated, so he remains the personification of that reign. On top of that, he doesn't play "attractive" football like Pool and Spurs do. So he's an easy target. :/

So it doesn't matter how dedicated he can be, how he busts a gut and multiple managers love him for that. He will always be despised because of "what he represents".

Meanwhile, Martial, Shaw, kids who don't look bothered 75% of the time, are lauded as amazing talents and people get horrified at the prospect of losing them....

Priorities, for me, should be in having players willing to die on the pitch, for the team, for the manager and for the club. Fellaini shouldn't be a Plan A, or even a Plan B, but when a Plan C is needed, he's great to have.

And he was absolutely awful in his first season at united and turned into a laughing stock

And he was absolutely awful in his first season at united and turned into a laughing stock

Thanks for proving my point. You're holding how he played four years ago against him as a reason to dislike him? You've chosen to ignore all the rest of my post, to confirm that you're issue is how he preformed in his first season under a manager that made everyone look ****.

That stigma didn't seem to follow anyone else. I can't think of another player who "was awful" over a season and still gets booed and hated nearly four years later for it.

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/994518044805337088

Tuttosport are so convinced Mino Raiola has fallen out with Man United, they say the agent is set to push Justin Kluivert to Everton.http://sportwitness.co.uk/italy-agent-will-make-player-sign-everton-manchester-united/

Raiola has too much influence,I reckon it was him that was the instigator of the "Pogba is unhappy,etc etc etc" rumours. He's basically just on the lookout for another chunk of a massive transfer fee.

I’d say he is absolutely smarting that Lukaku left him too..

• Advertisement

Thanks for proving my point. You're holding how he played four years ago against him as a reason to dislike him? You've chosen to ignore all the rest of my post, to confirm that you're issue is how he preformed in his first season under a manager that made everyone look ****.

That stigma didn't seem to follow anyone else. I can't think of another player who "was awful" over a season and still gets booed and hated nearly four years later for it.

Well he didnt exactly turn into zidane the following seasons. His passing is poor and for a player who was once considered a forward by van gaal his goalscoring record is awful

Well he didnt exactly turn into zidane the following seasons. His passing is poor and for a player who was once considered a forward by van gaal his goalscoring record is awful

Did anyone under Moyes turn into Zidane afterwards? Is that the bar you're setting? Is there any other player who gets treated to a chorus of boos like Fellaini because they underpreformed under Moyes and didn't suddenly become world class afterwards?

And now you're trying to paint that Van Gaal turned him into a forward too, which is hilarious, if not because, again, did ANY goal scorer thrive under Van Gaal? Its not that LVG presented a system where we were scoring for fun, but somehow Fellaini was underpreforming.

Again, that strikes me as an epic tactical screw up from a manager, not a reason to so viciously dislike the player. At the end of the day, if LVG made the call you suggest he did to consider Fellaini a forward, all I can expect from Fellaini at that point is to go "Ok, boss, I'll try".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I’d say he is absolutely smarting that Lukaku left him too..

Did he? I hadnt heard that

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Did he? I hadnt heard that

Lukaku apparently switched over to JayZ's new management firm a few weeks back. There was talks Pogba was heavily considering it too.

The analysis of that move was that JayZ would have zero contacts for any player who'd be considering a move, but would be amazing for a player happy at his club and wanting to push himself more for sponsorship and such. Which was good news for fans of Lukaku.

For a man who loves to use stats here’s one for ya..

Fellaini pass completion % 2016/17 : 86%
    Pogba pass completion % 2016/17 : 85%

Did anyone under Moyes turn into Zidane afterwards? Is that the bar you're setting? Is there any other player who gets treated to a chorus of boos like Fellaini because they underpreformed under Moyes and didn't suddenly become world class afterwards?

And now you're trying to paint that Van Gaal turned him into a forward too, which is hilarious, if not because, again, did ANY goal scorer thrive under Van Gaal? Its not that LVG presented a system where we were scoring for fun, but somehow Fellaini was underpreforming.

Again, that strikes me as an epic tactical screw up from a manager, not a reason to so viciously dislike the player. At the end of the day, if LVG made the call you suggest he did to consider Fellaini a forward, all I can expect from Fellaini at that point is to go "Ok, boss, I'll try".

He has had a few decent games at united but the large majority of it he has been poor.

Even his last game v brighton, he passed the ball directly to a brighton player 5 yards ahead of him on more than one occassion. someone even asked at the time is fellaini colour blind...

Who can forget this "composure"

https://youtu.be/WJC0EmrK4vQ

Yea he is must be better than pogba so...

What about goals and assists for same season?

He has had a few decent games at united but the large majority of it he has been poor.

Even his last game v brighton, he passed the ball directly to a brighton player 5 yards ahead of him on more than one occassion. someone even asked at the time is fellaini colour blind...

I'm going out now, so can't respond much more for a few hours, but this is a hilarious counter arguement, especially from someone who won't hear a word against Pogba despite him doing that sort of thing regularly as well.

You won't find a midfielder who doesn't have a Youtube compilation of poor passes. Trying to pick a single moment like that is a brilliant attempt to get away from a general discussion about a player. Its typical of your attempt to shift the goalposts too, since at no stage have I ever argued he's a brilliant passer of the ball, or even a brilliant player in general.

Every time I try to pin you down on why you dislike Fellaini, and try to get you to expand, you run quickly to an utterly different point to hit him from a new angle, rather than actually discuss the issues raised. So good luck to you on that.

At least he seen a Player and not an advertising hoarding eh

Now my point isn’t that Pogba is terrible, it’s that nearly every player out there has done something brutal in a match.. the fact that you use that to back up your point is exactly what TSC is talking about.. that happened during Moyes reign..

• Advertisement

I hate pass completion stats.

Pogba attempts play switches, through balls and high risk passes a lot.

Fellaini is FAR more likely to ignore a risky pass and play it safe. It is actually the biggest reason I hate seeing him in midfield, not only will there be a lack of creativity to his passing but attacks will slow and stop with him as he dumps the ball back towards our own goal.

I'm going out now, so can't respond much more for a few hours, but this is a hilarious counter arguement, especially from someone who won't hear a word against Pogba despite him doing that sort of thing regularly as well.

You won't find a midfielder who doesn't have a Youtube compilation of poor passes. Trying to pick a single moment like that is a brilliant attempt to get away from a general discussion about a player. Its typical of your attempt to shift the goalposts too, since at no stage have I ever argued he's a brilliant passer of the ball, or even a brilliant player in general.

Every time I try to pin you down on why you dislike Fellaini, and try to get you to expand, you run quickly to an utterly different point to hit him from a new angle, rather than actually discuss the issues raised. So good luck to you on that.

As i have said a million times in here... i dont dislike fellaini but he is nowhere near good enough to be a Manchester United player just like David Moyes wasnt good enough to be Manchester United manager

Yea he is must be better than pogba so...

What about goals and assists for same season?

tenor.gif?itemid=8654562

I hate pass completion stats.

Pogba attempts play switches, through balls and high risk passes a lot.

Fellaini is FAR more likely to ignore a risky pass and play it safe. It is actually the biggest reason I hate seeing him in midfield, not only will there be a lack of creativity to his passing but attacks will slow and stop with him as he dumps the ball back towards our own goal.

It was more a point at Bangkok that using stats like what I put there can be extremely misleading without backing up.. I’m in no way saying that Fellaini is a better passer than Pogba ;)

At least he seen a Player and not an advertising hoarding eh

Now my point isn’t that Pogba is terrible, it’s that nearly every player out there has done something brutal in a match.. the fact that you use that to back up your point is exactly what TSC is talking about.. that happened during Moyes reign..

What about fellaini coming on against everton, 2 min later he gives away a peno probably costing us a top 4, or his headbutt on aguero, he is just too clumsy and needs replacing

What about fellaini coming on against everton, 2 min later he gives away a peno probably costing us a top 4, or his headbutt on aguero, he is just too clumsy and needs replacing

Ahh so it’s not about his passing now? It’s about him being clumsy..

I, like TSC, bid you adieu my good friend. Keep fighting.

• Advertisement

someone even asked at the time is fellaini colour blind...

This is not correct.

I asked if he was just, simply, blind.

This is not correct.

I asked if he was just, simply, blind.

:)

I actually don't mind Fellaini that much, and at various times he has proven himself to be an important squad player.

My issue at this point is that I don't think his talent or performance levels dictate renewing his contract at the numbers that we are seeing being spoken about.

EDIT:

Beyond his use as a target man, I don't think his ability in any aspect of a midfielder (passing, tackling, pressuring, controlling, dictating, shooting, dribbling etc) are good enough to play central midfield for United, in any role of a 2 man or 3 man midfield, not as first choice and even as a back up coming in from the start of a match his talents just aren't good enough.

We lose impetus in attack when he starts in midfield and we don't gain enough defensively either - I think Herrera is a better defensive player in midfield.

I also think McTominay (and I've made my thoughts on him known) can fulfill the role of Fellaini.

United can do better than Fellaini and if we want to win the title or the CL, I think we need to.

I actually don't mind Fellaini that much, and at various times he has proven himself to be an important squad player.

My issue at this point is that I don't think his talent or performance levels dictate renewing his contract at the numbers that we are seeing being spoken about.

Unless we have someone on the books that is good enough and that the manager trusts we are going to have to spend decent money just to buy them on top of whatever wages.

Given we already need 3-4 first team players it might be stretching the transfer budget too far

Unless we have someone on the books that is good enough and that the manager trusts we are going to have to spend decent money just to buy them on top of whatever wages.

Given we already need 3-4 first team players it might be stretching the transfer budget too far

Mctominay is more than good enough

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement