Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

bangkok wrote: »
    Well he didnt exactly turn into zidane the following seasons. His passing is poor and for a player who was once considered a forward by van gaal his goalscoring record is awful

Van Gaal who played him on the left of a 3 man midfield the majority of the time?

He's scored important goals in big games when playing from midfield for United.

He can cover all 3 midfield positions to a better standard than anyone at the club, happy enough to come off the bench and get the odd start and always gives 100%. Capable of putting in performances at DM, CM and AM when needed which in a long season with 4 competitions is quite valuable with injuries and suspension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Liam O wrote: »
    Van Gaal who played him on the left of a 3 man midfield the majority of the time?

He's scored important goals in big games when playing from midfield for United.

He can cover all 3 midfield positions to a better standard than anyone at the club, happy enough to come off the bench and get the odd start and always gives 100%. Capable of putting in performances at DM, CM and AM when needed which in a long season with 4 competitions is quite valuable with injuries and suspension.

When you say cover the 3 midfield positions better than anyone, who are you excluding from that?

Pogba, Herrera and Matic?

Arguably you are correct, but that is down to the next on the list being McTominay and points to the massive problem we have had in central midfield for 6 years or so.

We used to have a poor midfield group in total, imo, and tried to fix it with Herrera, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger etc - I think we have a good first choice 3 now but beyond that we lack quality and Fellaini is a part of that lack of quality, imo.

Unless we have someone on the books that is good enough and that the manager trusts we are going to have to spend decent money just to buy them on top of whatever wages.

Given we already need 3-4 first team players it might be stretching the transfer budget too far

And if we want to win titles, it is what we are going to have to do. We need to ship out the dross and bring in players of the right quality and mentality.

It is a huge job, sure. One I am not sure Jose is up to either, or the club willing to go through.

IMO we need at least a left back, centre back, central midfielder and right sided attacker (right footed please...) and a right back is probably a big need too (maybe TFM?) and a second CM signing.

Its a huge job alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

astradave wrote: »
    Ahh so it’s not about his passing now? It’s about him being clumsy..

I, like TSC, bid you adieu my good friend. Keep fighting.

The passing goalposts are so 5 minutes ago

And if we want to win titles, it is what we are going to have to do. We need to ship out the dross and bring in players of the right quality and mentality.

It is a huge job, sure. One I am not sure Jose is up to either, or the club willing to go through.

IMO we need at least a left back, centre back, central midfielder and right sided attacker (right footed please...) and a right back is probably a big need too (maybe TFM?) and a second CM signing.

Its a huge job alright.

I agree with you alright im just not sure if it can all be done this season and if signing Fellaini lets us concentrated on the areas you talk about then im more then happy to keep him.

We have Matic, herrera, fellaini, mctominay and pogba even if we sign another midfielder we shouldn't really be going into next season with less then that.

When you say cover the 3 midfield positions better than anyone, who are you excluding from that?

Pogba, Herrera and Matic?

Arguably you are correct, but that is down to the next on the list being McTominay and points to the massive problem we have had in central midfield for 6 years or so.

We used to have a poor midfield group in total, imo, and tried to fix it with Herrera, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger etc - I think we have a good first choice 3 now but beyond that we lack quality and Fellaini is a part of that lack of quality, imo.

I mean if you play Pogba or Herrera at DM, Fellaini is better. Matic or Herrera at AM, Fellaini is better. Negligible difference between Herrera and Fellaini as the 2nd midfielder but I prefer Fellaini. For someone happy happy to be on the bench a lot being able to provide cover for those 3 positions is great to have.

This is not correct.

I asked if he was just, simply, blind.
    Nah mate, this is blind

958F6C7C5E1640DEBECB88C5BF439AAB.ashx?w=240&h=311&rgn=0,53,2000,2646

pjohnson wrote: »
    Nah mate, this is blind

958F6C7C5E1640DEBECB88C5BF439AAB.ashx?w=240&h=311&rgn=0,53,2000,2646

Nah, thats Blind. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Ohh grammar nazi alert :pac: Jayo beware :D

Liam O wrote: »
    I mean if you play Pogba or Herrera at DM, Fellaini is better. Matic or Herrera at AM, Fellaini is better. Negligible difference between Herrera and Fellaini as the 2nd midfielder but I prefer Fellaini. For someone happy happy to be on the bench a lot being able to provide cover for those 3 positions is great to have.

I'd have Herrera ahead of Fellaini at DM and CM2. Quicker, better control, better tackler, better anticipation.

In the deeper role at DM his better quality on the ball gets the ball from defence into midfield quicker and better than Fellaini. Its not even close between them imo.

The only thing Fellaini has over Herrera is physical stature.

At AM Fellaini offers a good outlet/target ball but offers nothing creatively - so I would go with Herrera here too - and would also look at playing Mata and Lingard in that role ahead of him too. I don't want plan A to be a long ball to fellaini, which is the only reason I would pick Fellaini at AM ahead of them.

• Advertisement

Nah, thats Blind. :P

tumblr_oie8ovihAn1rc955to1_500.gif

(I'll never tire of this gif of Sergio :P)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Rooney has agreed a move to DC United.

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/994546065520185344

Fred is headed to Manchester,will he Fred the red or a blue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Ohh grammar nazi alert :pac: Jayo beware :D

Think they have already given up on me mate.

Was very surprised when Everton took him last season.

Nah, that's Blind. :P

FYP

So what is fred a dm an am a mc a dmc or a amc? :P

But seriously where would he play

I'd have Herrera ahead of Fellaini at DM and CM2. Quicker, better control, better tackler, better anticipation.

In the deeper role at DM his better quality on the ball gets the ball from defence into midfield quicker and better than Fellaini. Its not even close between them imo.

The only thing Fellaini has over Herrera is physical stature.

At AM Fellaini offers a good outlet/target ball but offers nothing creatively - so I would go with Herrera here too - and would also look at playing Mata and Lingard in that role ahead of him too. I don't want plan A to be a long ball to fellaini, which is the only reason I would pick Fellaini at AM ahead of them.

I believe Fellaini to have been far better than Herrera in his time at United. I said there was a negligible difference between them above because I rate Herrera's ability and believe that he has played below himself at United. Fellaini is miles better at pressing and tackling than him and I would actually put him ahead in terms of anticipation too. Herrera either lets players brush by him or lashes out while Fellaini will at least make an attempt at the ball before he could the majority of the time.

It's purely down to perception of the players rather than what has actually happened on the pitch that you could rate Herrera better at those aspects of defending imo. Fellaini is a great tackler, Herrera isn't very good at it at all though he has had some good indicidual games where he has done well, but sure so did Scholes.

I'm not advocating playing him as an AM but I believe that he provides cover there and for a bench player to provide cover in all 3 positions is valuable.

Also Herrera plays 2 or 3 games in 4 months and is suddenly undisputed first choice? He gets off very easily from fans imo. I love his attitude but he has continuously failed to produce on the pitch and has been dropped for periods of every season at the club.

Midfield :P

• Advertisement

Was very surprised when Everton took him last season.

I was delighted. His time at the top level had passed 3 years ago.
    In fairness, he'll do well in the MLS. Schweinsteiger is starring over there.

Box to box, very good defensively and good going forward.. great engine, I’d presume the right side of a midfield 3 if it happened, could also stand in for Matic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

He's a reverse inside trequartista, with a splash of lemon.

J. Marston wrote: »

Can he do double pivots that's the main question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I presume sanchez back in the team tonight?

I presume sanchez back in the team tonight?

Fellaini and Lukaku only 2 injuries I think Jose said, think that’s along with Romero

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Was very surprised grateful when Everton took him last season.

Fyp :D

After the performance at the weekend, and Jose's comments, it will be interesting to see what team we play.

De Gea
    Valencia-Jones-Bailly-Young
    Matic
    Herrera-Pogba
    Lingard
    Sanchez
    Martial

Maybe Martial out for Rashford or Mata.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Oh so is it final position that matters now not points gap?

That was a reply to a comment, take the time to have a proper read fella

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

J. Marston wrote: »

I think I had that on a pizza once. Prefer pineapple though.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I think I had that on a pizza once. Prefer pineapple though.

I'm having hoisin duck pizza this evening.
    It'll probably be more interesting than the football if the Brighton game was anything to go by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Hon to fcuk, our boss is going nowhere!

32089790_10156382965257277_2649714209943715840_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=ac2ff44107c248ffd9c2337b98bbf5e6&oe=5B8480A3

giphy.gif

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/994575599615336448

"From Italy: Reasons why Mourinho wants Martial out of Man United, and one of them is Nabil Fekir.http://sportwitness.co.uk/reasons-mourinho-wants-martial-man-united-one-nabil-fekir/ … #mufc"

"From Italy: Reasons why Mourinho wants Martial out of Man United, and one of them is Nabil Fekir.http://sportwitness.co.uk/reasons-mourinho-wants-martial-man-united-one-nabil-fekir/ … #mufc"

Are liverpool not meant to be signing Fekir?

They only monitoring him I think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Is Fekir not an attacking mid? What's he got to do with Martial and why would we be after him if we keep Pogba?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

His father came out and denied it this morning. Club denied it too. Silly season coming early this year with the transfer window opening earlier....1 week to go...

Is Fekir not an attacking mid? What's he got to do with Martial and why would we be after him if we keep Pogba?

Yeah or a CF, he has played some matches before on the RW I’m certain, can’t see us going for him unless we are moving to 442 diamond and he could cover AM and CF..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Isn't Fekir an attacking cm ?Another player who would seem unlikely to solve RW or CM problems.

Fekir was at his best playing as a second striker off Lacazette, wasn't he. Mourinho could be looking at someone to play that type of role (sanchez??)

• Advertisement

I’ve been informed by the Lyon fan in work that he tends to drift to the right in most matches. Maybe that’s where I’m remembering him playing on the RW from

I’ve been informed by the Lyon fan in work that he tends to drift to the right in most matches. Maybe that’s where I’m remembering him playing on the RW from

Drifts to the RIGHT.
    According to WhoScored his crossing is VERY STRONG.

SOLD - GET HIM IN!

I'd love a straight forward right winger fed up of starting right and drifting in or starting in and drifting right just work the bloody wing.

For all of Ashley young faults he is probably the best player at the club for actually working the wing.

jayo26 wrote: »
    I'd love a straight forward right winger fed up of starting right and drifting in or starting in and drifting right just work the bloody wing.

For all of Ashley young faults he is probably the best player at the club for actually working the wing.

The problem with Young is that he's predominantly played on the left and ends up constantly cutting back onto his right foot to cross a ball.

jayo26 wrote: »

It wouldn't be as big an issue if Valencia could deliver from the many attacking positions he gets put in to. Having a player that will play from the right (Fekir could possibly do that) but comes to the inside channel) giving space to the right back to attack into could still be very good. The fact (?) Fekir is a quality crosser, is right footed, comfortable on that side would be an imediate change to Mata out there.

I hate this XG stat that started but I'd reckon if you looked up the stats for Valencia on the right in space it'd simply give you a result of "You're having a laugh mate".

The problem with Young is that he's predominantly played on the left and ends up constantly cutting back onto his right foot to cross a ball.

That wouldn't be a problem if he could actually get the ball in accurately.

Jaysus Everton are apparently getting 12m for Rooney :O

I hate this XG stat that started but I'd reckon if you looked up the stats for Valencia on the right in space it'd simply give you a result of "You're having a laugh mate".

:pac::D

Just looked at his stats for the league for this season.

30 games. 3 goals. 1 assist. 0.4 crosses per game. 0.7 key passes.

Assists
    Walker - 6.
    Bellerin - 3.
    Trippier - 5.

Crosses
    Walker - 0.2.
    Bellerin - 0.3.
    Trippier - 1.

Key Passes
    Walker - 0.9.
    Bellerin - 1.
    Trippier - 1.7.

• Advertisement

:pac::D

Just looked at his stats for the league for this season.

30 games. 3 goals. 1 assist. 0.4 crosses per game. 0.7 key passes.

Assists
    Walker - 6.
    Bellerin - 3.
    Trippier - 5.

Crosses
    Walker - 0.2.
    Bellerin - 0.3.
    Trippier - 1.

Key Passes
    Walker - 0.9.
    Bellerin - 1.
    Trippier - 1.7.

All 3 of the above play in teams that are set up more to attack. Id say Valencia has a better tackle % than most of them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement