Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Drumpot wrote: »
    Any future signings worth 100mil plus are potentially big egos. You have to factor in players who will have certain expectations that Spurs players do not. Lets say United tries to sign any top player that has won trophies at other big clubs and are used to getting things their way. Say we got Neymar ? Spurs will not and have not made any of these kinds of signings.

Neymar is in the same bracket as Ronaldo and Messi ego wise.

Players like them are almost managed from the very top down, they go above the manager directly to the ceo it they have issues.

Look at Neymar even at PSG, he wanted to take penos and free kicks so PSG paid Cavani more not to take them. Ridiculous carry on. Neymar also seems to do what he likes at training by all reports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,397 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

astradave wrote: »
    It’s more about becoming United manager than what he is doing with Spurs, they are totally different machines. No one is saying he has done a bad job with Spurs, more does he have what it takes to be United manager.

I personally am not trying to belittle his achievement of getting Spurs higher up the table and qualifying for the CL, I am questioning his mentality as a winner, and so far we have seen very little of that mentality which is mainly down to himself.

Its a fair criticism.

I'd be a fan of him, and I don't think he would do a worse job of mounting a title challenge than Jose - but I have also stated openly that I couldn't understand why Spurs would not be going all out for the FA Cup and League Cup, as winning breads winning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I think the big questions over poch and the reason why I feel it is right to ask questions is his team's obvious lack of mental strength.

Yes he is working on a smaller budget but he has had his team in position to win silverware and they bottled it and it was obvious in the build up to the fa cup that he feels this is an issue too people can play down the importance of fa cups and league cups all they want but it's all about winning and winning mentality and he has failed to instill that in his team.

If we sacked Jose in the morning yes he would be a candidate but he would be a massive gamble.

jayo26 wrote: »
    I think the big questions over poch and the reason why I feel it is right to ask questions is his team's obvious lack of mental strength.

Yes he is working on a smaller budget but he has had his team in position to win silverware and they bottled it and it was obvious in the build up to the fa cup that he feels this is an issue too people can play down the importance of fa cups and league cups all they want but it's all about winning and winning mentality and he has failed to instill that in his team.

If we sacked Jose in the morning yes he would be a candidate but he would be a massive gamble.

why then when this is thrown at united players, jose gets a free pass??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

José is here to stay for now and it will depend on how next season goes in regards to how much longer he stays. I do believe Poch will be a strong candidate when the time comes but I don't expect it to come up for a good while. Mourinho is steadying the ship and the idea is that when he does move away we will be back at the top, setting up a platform for whoever takes over next.
    He's on his way to this.

Will be very interesting how the transfers go this year. I'm at the point where just have one eye on next season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

And this, ultimately, is why I'm still firmly in the pro-Jose camp going into the summer.

We can't really afford to go gambling AGAIN, changing manager and playstyle and restarting the whole project AGAIN, especially after we've just achieved our best league standing in years.

Doing a drastic switch would lead us once again into instability at a time when we should be building upon the strengths of this season.

Mind, Jose has set the bar this season, and I'd imagine I won't be as forgiving if next year we're still playing the same way and not mounting a proper title challenge.

bangkok wrote: »
    why then when this is thrown at united players, jose gets a free pass??

Because United are winning trophies and he is only at the club 2 years Poch is with spurs alot longer and failed to get them over the line many times I would of thought it's pretty obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Because United are winning trophies and he is only at the club 2 years Poch is with spurs alot longer and failed to get them over the line many times I would of thought it's pretty obvious.

He must not have read the rest of your post tbf, thought you were pretty clear explaining it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,603 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Alternative league table ahoy,thanks Lawro for giving me a laugh on this wet morning.

https://twitter.com/keith1878/status/862791414727536640

That's 2017 man. I'll spare you the obvious :p

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

i feel that this summer and ultimately this season will be a defining one for Jose.

next season the goal MUST BE a proper title challenge and a good run in the champions league, anything less and its curtains.

There can be no excuses next season

That's 2017 man. I'll spare you the obvious :p

he still has them unbeaten in 2018 :pac:

Yep, and has City United and Spurs all with 1 loss, guess who against :D

+/- DENOTE POSITION DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LAWRO'S TABLE AND ACTUAL POSITION
    POS TEAM P W D L PTS +/-
    1 Man City 38 31 6 1 99 0
    2 Man Utd 38 30 7 1 97 0
    3 Tottenham38 30 7 1 97 0
    4 Liverpool 38 23 15 0 84 0
    5 Chelsea 38 24 9 5 81 0
    6 Arsenal 38 19 13 6 68 0
    7 Leicester 38 16 8 14 56 +2

See a manager I'm a big fan of is being linked with Dortmund.
    Andre Villas-Boas. Hope he goes there and does brilliantly. See a lot of Spurs fans slating him online and wishing Dortmund good luck. Kind of like they forgot at the time he had broken their highest every tally for points in the PL and was also had the highest win percent out of all their Premier League managers at the time.

Looking back I'm sure he's livid he chose to stay with Spurs rather than moving on after the first season. Claims even Madrid had enquired about him. Losing Bale made life difficult for him.

I really hope he goes to Dortmund and can prove his ability at a high level. Said before but I really wanted him to join us over Moyes at the time. He may be a possibility down the line in a couple of years if he gets back to his best, helps he has worked with Mourinho before so transition shouldn't be difficult. But then again Chelsea fans would laugh at that notion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

i feel that this summer and ultimately this season will be a defining one for Jose.

next season the goal MUST BE a proper title challenge and a good run in the champions league, anything less and its curtains.

I think you could be right on this, but I would be curious to know how fans will respond if the football improves but we still don't win a League or champions league. What if we finish second but just a bit closer ? What if we get knocked out in same stage of champions league against a stronger team then Seville ?

I have to ask the question again, why should we expect United to overtake City in the league ? They consistently comfortably outspend united so what is a reasonable expectation for next season for any United manager ?

And then in the champions league, what would be an acceptable sign of progress there ? This season being in it was progress from last season and while the manner they went out to Seville was awful it was still progress.

The champions league is also a funny competition. City are clearly head and shoulders better then every English club over a season. But in a one to one contest Liverpool have the edge. Chelsea and Liverpool both won the champions league while finishing 5th (Liverpool could technically do that this season) which shows that being the best team on paper is not always enough to win it.

This isn't rocket science to be fair I think you will find everyone even the Jose fans feel the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

That's a given tbf.

Even Jose's most ardent defenders, myself included, would agree that its shyt or get off the pot.

He has spent £350 odd million since coming in.

He will likely spend at least another £150 - £200 million in the summer.

Being adrift of the league for as long as we have been will not be accepted next year, like wise, a similar humbling exit from the CL will not be accepted.

Spending half a billion demands results. We aren't like City that have a bottomless pit of blood money to take from. United is a business and that kind of outlay will require a pay off at the end of it.

The second tier trophies are nice to win and all that but are not good enough in the long term for a club the size and stature of United.

I think you could be right on this, but I would be curious to know how fans will respond if the football improves but we still don't win a League or champions league. What if we finish second but just a bit closer ? What if we get knocked out in same stage of champions league against a stronger team then Seville ?

I have to ask the question again, why should we expect United to overtake City in the league ? They consistently comfortably outspend united so what is a reasonable expectation for next season for any United manager ?

And then in the champions league, what would be an acceptable sign of progress there ? This season being in it was progress from last season and while the manner they went out to Seville was awful it was still progress.

The champions league is also a funny competition. City are clearly head and shoulders better then every English club over a season. But in a one to one contest Liverpool have the edge. Chelsea and Liverpool both won the champions league while finishing 5th (Liverpool could technically do that this season) which shows that being the best team on paper is not always enough to win it.

Champions league at the end of the day is a cup competition, if you get a bit of luck over 2 legs it plays a huge part, Madrid were blessed against Bayern, any other day and Bayern would have hammered them, missing 6 first team players as well.

in the league city will be the benchmark, but we need to go out in all the other games and just blow teams out of the water like we used to do under ferguson, take the shackles off a bit and be a bit more adventurous. the players look nervous and afraid to try anything.

even last night when shaw got forward and hit the post, jose was giving him a bollocking on the way back, not really sure what that was about.

but if we go out and play against city the way we did at old trafford this year or sevilla in champions league is just not acceptable given the money and resources we have

I can't speak for all but if the football improves and we narrow the gap to City, and then get knocked out of CL losing to one of the top teams I reckon most would be content with the progress being made.

Obviously it will depend but I think the main problem most have is the performance of the team. I firmly believe when a team is performing well it gives most fans hope, whether this is actually true or not, that things are improving. At the beginning when the football improves fans seem more understanding of falling short of winning the league or cups. You can see it with Spurs and Liverpool for example. Arsenal are a prime example where playing good football but failing to capitalise will only keep the fans content for so long before they begin to turn.

Anyway, we all have different expectations. But for me if we came 2nd again next season but closed the gap to City significantly, got knocked out while putting up a fight against the likes of Barca/Madrid/Munich, and saw the football improve on the pitch I would be content with the progress. Different people will have different expectations though.

Champions league at the end of the day is a cup competition, if you get a bit of luck over 2 legs it plays a huge part, Madrid were blessed against Bayern, any other day and Bayern would have hammered them, missing 6 first team players as well.

in the league city will be the benchmark, but we need to go out in all the other games and just blow teams out of the water like we used to do under ferguson, take the shackles off a bit and be a bit more adventurous. the players look nervous and afraid to try anything.

even last night when shaw got forward and hit the post, jose was giving him a bollocking on the way back, not really sure what that was about.

but if we go out and play against city the way we did at old trafford this year or sevilla in champions league is just not acceptable given the money and resources we have

Cant disagree with any of that tbf and its a good point about the players looking nervous, almost as if they were afraid to make a mistake.

The over riding thing that Im taking from this season is that as poor as we have been we have still finished second. No parades needed but overall we have improved our league position which, other than actually winning the league, is all you can expect in the league. The team does have the ability to blow other teams out of the water, we have beaten all of the top 6 rivals in the last few months with mostly controlled performances.

The current squad clearly has the technical ability to beat anyone in the league. A couple of more additions in key positions - please, please, please, a right winger - then we should be challenging for the title this time next year.

Whether Jose can get the players playing that way all/most the time remains to be seen.

I was half listening to off the ball some of the evenings and who ever was on it remarked on how we started the league, we were beautiful to watch but then the game at Anfield and the puck ugly performance in that came along and the whole lot went to pot.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I can't speak for all but if the football improves and we narrow the gap to City, and then get knocked out of CL losing to one of the top teams I reckon most would be content with the progress being made.

Obviously it will depend but I think the main problem most have is the performance of the team. I firmly believe when a team is performing well it gives most fans hope, whether this is actually true or not, that things are improving. At the beginning when the football improves fans seem more understanding of falling short of winning the league or cups. You can see it with Spurs and Liverpool for example. Arsenal are a prime example where playing good football but failing to capitalise will only keep the fans content for so long before they begin to turn.

Anyway, we all have different expectations. But for me if we came 2nd again next season but closed the gap to City significantly, got knocked out while putting up a fight against the likes of Barca/Madrid/Munich, and saw the football improve on the pitch I would be content with the progress. Different people will have different expectations though.

i just want to enjoy watching Man Utd again, free flowing attacking football and challenge for the big trophies

• Advertisement

Even last night when shaw got forward and hit the post, jose was giving him a bollocking on the way back, not really sure what that was about.

He missed ;)

In fairness though I think it was cause he could have squared it inside easy enough to a United player unless I’m mistaken..

Anyways good post and I do agree we need to push on. I personally feel that getting proper FB’s and another CM like Pogba/Savic will allow us to fulfill that. If we don’t push on next season Jose will be rightly under Pressure and the fans, including me and most Jose fans, won’t accept that.

i just want to enjoy watching Man Utd again, free flowing attacking football and challenge for the big trophies

This is more a general question and not aimed at you by the way Bangkok. Just your post has me thinking.

Do people not class the FA cup as a big trophy anymore? Personally I love the FA cup, and I love when we are challenging for it. To make the final this year has me on a high for the end of the season. I really can’t wait for it, I’ll be nervous and excited all rolled into one.

Then I’ll probably get hangry at the result and order a pineappleless pizza :D

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Just a personal view, but I would prefer a decade of freeflowing football with ten 4th place finishes plus one or two Champions Leagues and the odd FA Cup versus a few dog-in-the-manger league titles playing toxic football.

This is more a general question and not aimed at you by the way Bangkok. Just your post has me thinking.

Do people not class the FA cup as a big trophy anymore? Personally I love the FA cup, and I love when we are challenging for it. To make the final this year has me on a high for the end of the season. I really can’t wait for it, I’ll be nervous and excited all rolled into one.

Its lost some of its lustre, no doubt, but personally speaking I love to see the team winning trophies, doesn't matter what they are. It can only do good things for the squad, gives players a taste of that winning feeling, gives players that dont play in the final an impetus to improve and strive to be better players the following year.

It would be 4th on the totem in terms of bragging rights but its a nice competition to win.

not really, FA cup has lost a lot of its magic, the amount of money in football now and especially in the premier league and champions league means for the majority of games teams are putting out 2nd string teams in the fa cup, be still great to win it and finish the season on a high but when United were not in it in 2000 it lost a lot of its value.

still hope we batter chelsea in the final though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Just a personal view, but I would prefer a decade of freeflowing football with ten 4th place finishes plus one or two Champions Leagues and the odd FA Cup versus a few dog-in-the-manger league titles playing toxic football.

What’s your Beef Andrew? You are in here defending Mourinho one minute and then this?

If you’re averaging 4th place over a decade you probably won’t be winning 2 CLs no matter how free flowing your football is.

Arsenal under Graham. Liverpool under Rafa and houllier . Chelsea or Madrid under Jose. Fans don’t care when they are winning. When they are playing nice football they love to preach to the rest but the truth is that most fans would accept putrid football to win a league or champions league.

If united won the league next season it won’t be because Jose has changed his style it will simply mean he has made the team more effective. United might score more goals and win more games but it will effectively be the same tactics being played by a squad capable of following a top coach’s instructions.

Its lost some of its lustre, no doubt, but personally speaking I love to see the team winning trophies, doesn't matter what they are. It can only do good things for the squad, gives players a taste of that winning feeling, gives players that dont play in the final an impetus to improve and strive to be better players the following year.

It would be 4th on the totem in terms of bragging rights but its a nice competition to win.

Agreed.

Remember United’s league cup win in 2006. Sort of felt like it started momentum upwards for the club and felt like Sir Alex had stopped the rot.

I also think Liverpool and Porto winning the UEFA cup helped them both win the champions league the next season.

Sure we may aswell as just have Wenger in charge by sounds of it.

Arsenal under Graham. Liverpool under Rafa and houllier . Chelsea or Madrid under Jose. Fans don’t care when they are winning. When they are playing nice football they love to preach to the rest but the truth is that most fans would accept putrid football to win a league or champions league.

If united won the league next season it won’t be because Jose has changed his style it will simply mean he has made the team more effective. United might score more goals and win more games but it will effectively be the same tactics being played by a squad capable of following a top coach’s instructions.

you wont win a league playing putrid football though, there would have to be some sort of quality there

• Advertisement

you wont win a league playing putrid football though, there would have to be some sort of quality there

You must not of been around for George Grahams Arsenal league win !! One popular chant about Arsenal before Wenger was "boring boring Arsenal"!!!

Of course when I used the word Putrid, I mean from an entertainment point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

What’s your Beef Andrew? You are in here defending Mourinho one minute and then this?

If you’re averaging 4th place over a decade you probably won’t be winning 2 CLs no matter how free flowing your football is.

I am a staunch defender of Mourinho and I believe that he will deliver real success for us. I’m just making the point that, for me, with 20 league titles in the bag but “only” three European Cups, the focus is the Champions League.

You must not of been around for George Grahams Arsenal league win !! One popular chant about Arsenal before Wenger was "boring boring Arsenal"!!!

Of course when I used the word Putrid, I mean from an entertainment point of view.

that george graham team still only lost 1 game all season and scored 78 goals.

they only chanted boring arsenal as they won a lot of games 1-0 and had a really good defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

How much quality did Ranieri's Leicester have?

that george graham team still only lost 1 game all season and scored 78 goals.

they only chanted boring arsenal as they won a lot of games 1-0 and had a really good defence.

Are you suggesting that the George Graham 1990-91 league winning team were objectively entertaining to watch ?

pjohnson wrote: »

Going forward they attacked with speed and incision, with some great play from Vardy and Mahrez.

They certainly played counter attacking football, but when they broke on the counter they did so with speed and determination.

United don't do that.

pjohnson wrote: »

you must have missed it when the won the league so.

Mahrez, Vardy, Kante, Schmeichel, Drinkwater all quality that season

Going forward they attacked with speed and incision, with some great play from Vardy and Mahrez.

They certainly played counter attacking football, but when they broke on the counter they did so with speed and determination.

United don't do that.

That was something that bugged the hell out of me last night too actually. The number of times we won the ball in our third, got it to the second and then Val killed the counter and let everyone settle back into defence was so frustrating.

I'm really hoping new full backs will help that side of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It was hardly exciting attacking football. Outside of Mahrez they rarely beat any opposition player. Drinkwater with long balls onto the sprinting Vardy or Albrighton whipping in crosses. They were devastatingly effective more than any flair.

• Advertisement

United don't do that.

In all fairness there were a couple of things that were going for them that season.

One was no Euro Football . I think they had the same league starting team for the majority of the season.

Two, it was definitely a one off season where all the top sides were under performing

Three - The momentum gathered was once in a lifetime and was helped with less pressure from the usual suspects challenging for league

Four - They didn't suffer the same issue most top sides have which is coming up against defencive sides outside the top 5. As such their counter attacking play was as effective in their league winning season as it was innefective the next season when sides tightened up against them as league champions.

Five - Asides from kante, I cant think of many other players who joined bigger teams. This suggests it was more a quality unit then quality individuals.

Six - effective counter attacking football can be exciting to watch but its terrible if both teams are trying it!!!

In all fairness there were a couple of things that were going for them that season.

One was no Euro Football . I think they had the same league starting team for the majority of the season.

Two, it was definitely a one off season where all the top sides were under performing

Three - The momentum gathered was once in a lifetime and was helped with less pressure from the usual suspects challenging for league

Four - They didn't suffer the same issue most top sides have which is coming up against defencive sides outside the top 5. As such their counter attacking play was as effective in their league winning season as it was innefective the next season when sides tightened up against them as league champions.

Five - Asides from kante, I cant think of many other players who joined bigger teams. This suggests it was more a quality unit then quality individuals.

Six - effective counter attacking football can be exciting to watch but its terrible if both teams are trying it!!!

I think a lot of teams didn't pay them the respect they deserved - they attacked and left space for them like they wouldn't have done vs (this season's) Liverpool, for example.

That isn't saying they got lucky or something, they got what they deserved, but I do think they capitalised on a lack of respect.

Saw a rumour this evening that we have made an approach to Dortmund about a possible Martial & cash deal for Pulisic.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Saw a rumour this evening that we have made an approach to Dortmund about a possible Martial & cash deal for Pulisic.

That’s been going around the last few days, coming from an absolute nobody in the Daily Mail tbh. There is also Rumours that Juve want him.

Anyone see the newly released football leaks document... alexis sanchez is paid 390,000k a week AND 75k extra bonus for every game he starts, he also gets an annual 1.1m for every year he is at united... other bonus included 2m for 40 goals and assists combined!!!

Aubumayang at arsenal also got himself 18m in signing on bonuses

Crazy money

I much prefer a goal and assists bonus. But ya crazy money

• Advertisement

Anyone see the newly released football leaks document... alexis sanchez is paid 390,000k a week AND 75k extra bonus for every game he starts, he also gets an annual 1.1m for every year he is at united... other bonus included 2m for 40 goals and assists combined!!!

Aubumayang at arsenal also got himself 18m in signing on bonuses

Crazy money

his weekly wage is apparently £275k excluding image rights.

The dailymail who are reporting it included his image rights in the figure. Basically 350k a week if he starts every game. Which isn’t all that bad seeing as we didn’t pay a fee.

Think another thing that came out was we reduced Zlatan down to 40/50k this season after his injury.

Mkhi supposedly going to get a massive increase off Arsenal for next season too, bringing him up to about240k I think..

I love the leaks :D some great reads on their pages

Edit: oh and Morata is on about 2m more a year than Lukaku

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

That’s been going around the last few days, coming from an absolute nobody in the Daily Mail tbh. There is also Rumours that Juve want him.

We’ll take Dyballa and a cm please

his weekly wage is apparently £275k excluding image rights.

The dailymail who are reporting it included his image rights in the figure. Basically 350k a week if he starts every game. Which isn’t all that bad seeing as we didn’t pay a fee.

Think another thing that came out was we reduced Zlatan down to 40/50k this season after his injury.

Mkhi supposedly going to get a massive increase off Arsenal for next season too, bringing him up to about240k I think..

I love the leaks :D some great reads on their pages

Edit: oh and Morata is on about 2m more a year than Lukaku

They said its a guaranteed 390k a week plus 75k if he starts?

Ugh, I hate no football on a Saturday.

Worse, I hate that the league ends this weekend :( I've very little interest in the World Cup, so I'll be relying on transfer muppetry once the Cup final goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Ugh, I hate no football on a Saturday.

Worse, I hate that the league ends this weekend :( I've very little interest in the World Cup, so I'll be relying on transfer muppetry once the Cup final goes.

I'd take the WC any day over "rumour has it Neymar is in talks with Lingards gardener" or "a source I know tells me Kluivert is in love with the receptionist at Carrington"

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement