Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Nalz wrote: »
    I'd take the WC any day over "rumour has it Neymar is in talks with Lingards gardener" or "a source I know tells me Kluivert is in love with the receptionist at Carrington"

NOOOO, I don't understand how people don't buy into the whole nonsense. I love it all. I take none of it seriously, mind, but I find it so exciting and fascinating to see the rumours, discuss the players and links, work out teamsheets and where they'd fit in. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

bangkok wrote: »
    They said its a guaranteed 390k a week plus 75k if he starts?

That’s including image rights, football leaks have it as 275k base Salary and 75k on top per start.. his image rights are massive. It’s the only player that the reports are including the image rights on salary as they know it will generate clicks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Lord TSC wrote: »
    NOOOO, I don't understand how people don't buy into the whole nonsense. I love it all. I take none of it seriously, mind, but I find it so exciting and fascinating to see the rumours, discuss the players and links, work out teamsheets and where they'd fit in. :p

Once the full time whistle goes tomorrow I’m tasking you with the job of listing EVERY player we are linked with on the thread, then each time there’s a new one add it to your previous list, would be fairly large by the end of the summer I’d say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Nalz wrote: »
    "rumour has it Neymar is in talks with Lingards gardener"

If the Madrid rumors are true he probably is going to need a new Gardner this summer. Good call.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Is it one more year we have to subside Rooneys mega salary? Getting that off the books will be a nice positive.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Once the full time whistle goes tomorrow I’m tasking you with the job of listing EVERY player we are linked with on the thread, then each time there’s a new one add it to your previous list, would be fairly large by the end of the summer I’d say

Jaysus Mac, I do actually have a semblance of a life you know. What you're proposing there is a full time job :P
    S.M.B. wrote: »
    Is it one more year we have to subside Rooneys mega salary? Getting that off the books will be a nice positive.

I wonder would a transfer end that arrangement as well. We agreed to pay Everton, but would we still be paying if he moved to another team?

Jaysus Mac, I do actually have a semblance of a life you know. What you're proposing there is a full time job :P

I wonder would a transfer end that arrangement as well. We agreed to pay Everton, but would we still be paying if he moved to another team?

I thought we just gave him a pay off, but it was to be paid over the 2 years so we weren’t actually subsidising thru Everton..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Ugh, I hate no football on a Saturday.

Worse, I hate that the league ends this weekend :( I've very little interest in the World Cup, so I'll be relying on transfer muppetry once the Cup final goes.

I love the world cup and can't wait for it to start.
    Just a pity we didn't get there. Be brilliant to be heading over to Russia next month for a few weeks.

Ugh, I hate no football on a Saturday.

Worse, I hate that the league ends this weekend :( I've very little interest in the World Cup, so I'll be relying on transfer muppetry once the Cup final goes.

Championship play off Middlesbrough v villa at 5.15 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Fai junior cup in the Aviva stadium my local team are playing come on North End

20180512_141228.jpgimage hosting free

https://www.facebook.com/booters321/posts/10156420792684661

;););)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

jayo26 wrote: »
    Fai junior cup in the Aviva stadium my local team are playing come on North End

20180512_141228.jpgimage hosting free

https://www.facebook.com/booters321/posts/10156420792684661

;););)

Go way out that. Hon pike 😂😂

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    Go way out that. Hon pike 😂😂

Hahaha good game to be fair to both of them. North End were best team first half but pike doing well second half.

;););)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

;););)

Haha I was only messing. I’m a boro man. No interest in pike.

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    Haha I was only messing. I’m a boro man. No interest in pike.

Haha it's all good :) delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/995351754714832899

Rui leaving at the end of the season

Oh wow. Thats unexpected, isnt it? They've worked together for ages!

Arsenal job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Lukekul wrote: »

I wonder how he'll do at Arsenal.

May not be a bad move to shake the staff up just shows the managers class that he didn't send him on paid leave when he found out.......

• Advertisement

Rui Faria has been like Jose's shadow, through thick and thin with him, pretty much since the start of Jose's successes. It will be interesting to see who Jose brings in, and how Faria does as a manager.

“17 years… in Leiria, Porto, London, Milan, Madrid, London again and Manchester. Training, playing, travelling, studying, laughing and also a few tears of happiness.

“17 years and the kid is now a man. The intelligent student is now a football expert, ready for a successful career as a manager.

“I will miss my friend and that is the hardest thing for me, but his happiness is more important and, of course, I respect his decision, especially because I know that we will always be together. Be happy, brother!”

All the best to Rui.

I'm taking this as a positive. Change among the coaching personnel could be a good thing.

Won't happen, but ideally I'd like to see Rene Muelensteen come back. He seems too outspoken though, I reckon he and Jose would mix like oil and water.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Carrick take the assistant spot.

VW 1 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Carrick take the assistant spot.

He will be an "assistant" jose aluded to it last weekend I don't know how loosely he used that term tho.

McKenna, the u18s manager, seems to be the name being thrown around as a replacement.

Apparently he plays some good football with the kids so be interested to see if he brings that with him to the first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

It be great if Jose gets someone in who might improve the attacking set up.

Stephen Howson, who I'm generally indifferent to, posted the news about Faria this morning. He said that he had several solid sources, but still took a wave of shít on Twitter/Youtube/Reddit.

Turns out he was right. With that in mind, Howson reckons that the U18 coach Kieran McKenna is set to take the assistant's job.

I know fúck all about McKenna myself, apart from the fact that he's done well with the U18s this season.

• Advertisement

Be nice to have an Irishman involved in the first team

astradave wrote: »
    Be nice to have an Irishman involved in the first team

I assumed that with a name like Kieran McKenna, he was Irish. According to the club website, he is Northern Irish.

What you said is fine with me Dave, but you might have just insulted the chap :D

Edit: I got that info from an interview he did with the website last Summer. It's not a bad article for flicking through to get some insight on the man.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Exclusive-Interviews/2017/Jul/kieran-mckenna-full-exclusive-summer-interview-with-manchester-united-under-18s-coach.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Lukekul wrote: »

Delighted to see him leave. Jose's backroom team needs a good shake up. For all the **** mike phelan got rui seems to have gotten a free ride

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43898708

Interesting take on spend value....

Drumpot wrote: »
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43898708

Interesting take on spend value....

Might be intresting but not for good reasons why don't they do costs per silverware or trophies won? Hmmmmmm because it don't fit the narative.

Here's to another 3 months of netspend tables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

May not be a bad move to shake the staff up just shows the managers class that he didn't send him on paid leave when he found out.......
    Thought that as well when it was rumoured he may be leaving.
    What's Mullensteen at these days?😀

paulbok wrote: »
    Thought that as well when it was rumoured he may be leaving.
    What's Mullensteen at these days?😀

No thanks he is a very good coach but loves himself too much since he was given a voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Alright lads, getting to that quite part of the season so i was thinking,

Since the start of this years league, who have you been most impressed with in the united team. Rank it 1st 2nd 3rd. Give a description why those 3 if you feel like

Christmas signings wouldnt count clearly.

Only rule,
    When someone throw's down their 3, none of this "ah, what you on about my pick better than yours" or anything like that. Keep it till results are counted.

Give it till 8pm tomorrow and the votes will be counted then.

Think it could generate a decent discussion and what people think of individual players.

Feel free not to get in on it, but would be an insight to some posters opinions.

All in good fun lads so guess i'll go first

1: Lukaku
    2: Matic
    3: Young

Lukaku has taken this team to his his own, great start had a bad slump over xmas but bounced back immensly. Plays for the badge more than anything else imo.

Matic was superb the start of the season and through the xmas period. Has probably more minutes than most this season and is a real general. Looked fatigued towards the end, but still gives it his all.

Young for me has done very well this season, recieves a bit if stick here, defensivley doesnt always get his judgement right, had the highest goal scorer in his pocket, going forward he's a threat and hasn't lost that touch of a cross, ehich wev'e lackes right side. Honestly thought he's been very good through the season.

Also no DDG every man and his dog knows he's immense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

1. Jesse Lingard
    2. Ashley Young
    3. Romelu Lukaku

Lingard completely exceeded my wildest expectations this year and went from squad player to one of the first names on the team.

Young became one of the best performing LB's in the Premier League this season

Lukaku has really provided us with a focal point for our attacks and shown he is MUCH more than just a targetman

You really should wait till after the match today, thread will become a clusterfūck and you will have trouble counting the votes.

Fully agree lads. Great idea but if we run this Monday evening it’ll be easier

We on TV lads?

We on TV lads?

Not on Uk I don’t think.. I’ll be able to get it on my IPTv though thankfully :D

astradave wrote: »
    Not on Uk I don’t think.. I’ll be able to get it on my IPTv though thankfully :D

Ah bugger, really? I can get it easy enough myself on my ipad, but its more for the parents I was asking :(

EDIT: Whelp, my usual source is down too. Ok, Plan C I guess...

Here the list of channels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Just watching the Sunday Supplement; it’s great that we’re not part of the Wayne Rooney circus anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Linked with Neymar again, Neymar disappointed with the competitiveness of the French league, United prepared to pay a world record fee and Neymar’s father wants him at United as it is now claimed the father is a United fan...

Meanwhile things on the Alex Sandro front are said to be advanced and it’s looking good.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Linked with Neymar again, Neymar disappointed with the competitiveness of the French league, United prepared to pay a world record fee and Neymar’s father wants him at United as it is now claimed the father is a United fan...

Meanwhile things on the Alex Sandro front are said to be advanced and it’s looking good.

Just can't see Neymar to United at all. He's more likely using us to leverage a better contract with Madrid.

NOW, I do think there could be a cycle caused by Neymar to Real; I wouldn't be shocked to see the usual Ronaldo and Bale rumours kicking off again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,397 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Wonder if United could look at Pogba plus cash for Neymar. I doubt, strongly, that we have any actual interest in him - if we wanted to sign him why would we go for him this summer at a (probably) higher price than we could have got him for last summer? Just makes no sense. We didn't make a move for him last summer (which greatly annoyed me) so I don't see why we would make a move this summer.

Hopefully it doesn't become part of a merry-go-round of transfers that sees either Ronaldo or Bale to United.

Also, even if we gave up pogba tp sign Neymar, the money involved would mean it probably doesn't make sense for United - from a squad building point of view. You'd be looking at 80million or more on top of Pogba, I would guess. So you'd be looking at 50millon on Sandro (possibly), 80million+ on Neymar so we have spent between 130 and 150million and we still need to sign two central midfielders? another 120million on Fred and Savic? 270million? Do we see United spending that kind of money - and STILL we are left with basically the same arguably poor defence (plus Sandro) we finished this season with?

Fck it Woodward, get 300m+ spent so we can play:

De Gea
    Fosu-Mensah - Bailly - Alderwield - Sandro
    Fred--Matic---Savic
    --Sanchez
    Lukaku
    Neymar

Rasford
    Mata
    Lingard
    Herrera
    Valencia
    Lindelof
    Romero

Wonder if United could look at Pogba plus cash for Neymar. I doubt, strongly, that we have any actual interest in him - if we wanted to sign him why would we go for him this summer at a (probably) higher price than we could have got him for last summer? Just makes no sense. We didn't make a move for him last summer (which greatly annoyed me) so I don't see why we would make a move this summer.

The reports, which quoted Neymar's father iirc, was we moved for him 2 years ago, had a deal ready to go, and then the player messed us round. So maybe we just opted against the whole circus this time round?

Strikes me he's wanted to go to Real since last year anyway, but knew Barca wouldn't sell him directly to them, so has used PSG as a gap year to help facilitate that move.

The reports, which quoted Neymar's father iirc, was we moved for him 2 years ago, had a deal ready to go, and then the player messed us round. So maybe we just opted against the whole circus this time round?

Strikes me he's wanted to go to Real since last year anyway, but knew Barca wouldn't sell him directly to them, so has used PSG as a gap year to help facilitate that move.

Neymar feels like Di Maria 2 in the making. I know he is class but I’m not convinced these sort of characters will thrive in Manchester!

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Neymar would be a farcical signing; he’s the personification of style over substance. Beware of anyone whose entourage is bigger than his trophy cabinet. We’d be far better working with what we have and layering in Willian, a top-class midfielder, Vertonghen, and at least one top-class fullback. Going after the likes of Neymar is chasing unicorns in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,397 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Quite possibly - on the Real Madrid front - though i would be surprised if PSG allowed themselves to be used like that.

I do think he will end up at Madrid - which will see Ronaldo and Bale moving on (imo).

I would love him at United. Maybe it wouldn't work out, but its fecking Neymar. If you have a chance to find out why would you not want to?

As said though, however much I would love to see United sign him - I just don't see it. We didn't move last summer, he likely wants Madrid, we need an expensive overhaul in a few positions... I just don't see the money being there.

the little devil in me though.... Martial, Pogba and some (relatively small) cash for him? meaning funds are still there for a few other positions?

Neymar would be a farcical signing; he’s the personification of style over substance. Beware of anyone whose entourage is bigger than his trophy cabinet. We’d be far better working with what we have and layering in Willian, a top-class midfielder, Vertonghen, and at least one top-class fullback. Going after the likes of Neymar is chasing unicorns in my view.

And look at what city have been doing. Spending more then united but not on one big signing. Strengthening the team and squad which is what I think Jose would prefer if I am honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'd prefer we got Zaha/Willian over Neymar.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement