Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,397 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Drumpot wrote: »
    And look at what city have been doing. Spending more then united but not on one big signing. Strengthening the team and squad which is what I think Jose would prefer if I am honest.

Yeah, just broke the world record for defenders 3 times in the last 12 months, and was Ederson a record for a keeper or does Buffon still hold that?

They spent big on aguero when 40million was still big enough money.

The Sterling and KDB fees were big when they were spent too - the market has gone insane since then, especially last summer, which they didn't get caught in cause they weren't looking at attacking signings. Though the 60million they were looking to spend on Sanchez, with a year on his contract, feels like a big attempted fee.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

the little devil in me though.... Martial, Pogba and some (relatively small) cash for him? meaning funds are still there for a few other positions?

Yeah.

On the one hand, he's very obviously a world class player, and so much younger than Ronnie and Messi too. The way he talks, I think he wants to be the very best in the world, and that would be the type of character I think we'd need. He'd be incredible to have.

On the other though....should we splash so much on another LWer? Would we be a stronger unit if we invested in other areas?

Losing Martial wouldn't bother me, and I nearly feel buying Neymar would require losing Pogba, as both are players you build around and I think you'd need them in different teams. But for instance, with what you outline there transfer wise....
    Lukaku
    Neymar - Sanchez - (Pulisic)
    Matic - (Fred)

Two in brackets there could be different players, but point is, if we lost Pogba and got someone ala Nemyar, moved Sanchez into a #10....

**** sake, Mitch, I know I said I loved transfer muppetry yesterday but this feels a bit too much for me :P

pjohnson wrote: »
    I'd prefer we got Zaha/Willian over Neymar.

Player vs Player I am going for Neymar over the pair. More talented than both, much younger than Willian.

both.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Player vs Player I am going for Neymar over the pair. More talented than both, much younger than Willian.

More talented yeah but unless we are putting him LB or RW we will still have the same problems as this year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

dafuq

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Yeah, just broke the world record for defenders 3 times in the last 12 months, and was Ederson a record for a keeper or does Buffon still hold that?

They spent big on aguero when 40million was still big enough money.

The Sterling and KDB fees were big when they were spent too - the market has gone insane since then, especially last summer, which they didn't get caught in cause they weren't looking at attacking signings. Though the 60million they were looking to spend on Sanchez, with a year on his contract, feels like a big attempted fee.

I was talking about since Pep took over. You can hardly argue they made any marquee signings. Lukaku and Pogba were massive signings, lukaku in particular was bought at the right time cause I think a few months later would of cost an extra 50mil!

And I’m constantly beating the city spending drum here which people ignore. City have been spending massive amounts above united for a decade which is one of the reasons why they don’t need marquee signings under pep. People should remember that when quoting the money that Jose has had to spend...

dafuq

I'm guessing he means from a positional sense, in terms of a RW being a priority over LW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Neymar on one leg playing right wing would be better then zaha or wilian ;)

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I'm guessing he means from a positional sense, in terms of a RW being a priority over LW.

I would have thought it was obvious tbh. Not much put signing all the world class players if we still have the same deficencies in the team. If we sign Neymar grand. But I'd hope we'd only pursue such a deal AFTER a LB, CM & RW. A new LW (regardless of talent) would be a "luxury" in the sense that we dont need a new LW. We have more important needs that NEED adressing before we start improving the area's that are already solid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

And would Zaha even be interested in coming back to United after his time there previously...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Here the list of channels

Off to the Middle East for the afternoon :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

If we were to sign Neymar I would have no doubt Sanchez would be out on the right.. no doubts whatsoever.

Anyways not happening :D

yabadabado wrote: »
    Off to the Middle East for the afternoon :cool:

You mean you arent from Slovenia?

Neymar is world class ,definitely top 5 in the world but the money it would cost would be better spent fixing the massive problems in the side.
    Spend the money on Sandro and a RB. Fred and a RW winger.
    United would get all 4 for similar money to what Neymar is likely to cost and be a better side at the end of it.
    If the side only needed minor tweaking then a Neymar signing would be brilliant but too many areas need an overhaul to be spending big on one player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Drumpot wrote: »
    Neymar feels like Di Maria 2 in the making. I know he is class but I’m not convinced these sort of characters will thrive in Manchester!

My thoughts exactly. I’d go as far as to guarantee he would want out fairly sharpish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Cannot for the life of me see us signing neymar and to be honest his position is probably our strongest position apart from keeper in our squad so makes zero sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Ah another left winger

No thanks, only way to get Neymar into the team would be to sell Sanchez and Martial.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

I do not subscribe to the view that Neymar is one of top players in the world. We’re forever being told how great he is and he has an entourage the size of the 82nd Airborne, but I’m not convinced. I believe that he’d be a toxic and poisonous presence at Old Trafford; Angel Di Maria Mark II, only more damaging from a financial perspective.

I do not subscribe to the view that Neymar is one of top players in the world. We’re forever being told how great he is and he has an entourage the size of the 82nd Airborne, but I’m not convinced. I believe that he’d be a toxic and poisonous presence at Old Trafford; Angel Di Maria Mark II, only more damaging from a financial perspective.

After ronaldo messi, there is no question that he is in the next bracket of players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

i hope the neymar rumors are false tbh... would much prefer to strengthen the team overall

bangkok wrote: »

After ronaldo messi, there is no question that he is in the next bracket of players.

We are all entitled to our opinion, and mine is that he’s an overrated show-pony and mercenary who we should run a mile from.

I’d much prefer us to spend the summer getting Willian, Jorginho, Vertonghen, and a fullback.

And someone else who might just be available and worth looking at...proven Premier League pedigree, not really working out for him right now, but controversial given his background: Coutinho. Imagine the reception he’d get at Anfield?!

i hope the neymar rumors are false tbh... would much prefer to strengthen the team overall

IF we went for Neymar, he would not be the only buy. We would be buying others too.

If.

See Castles is saying Sandro is pretty much done and will be announced shortly after the FA Cup.

We are all entitled to our opinion, and mine is that he’s an overrated show-pony and mercenary who we should run a mile from.

I’d much prefer us to spend the summer getting Willian, Jorginho, Vertonghen, and a fullback.

And someone else who might just be available and worth looking at...proven Premier League pedigree, not really working out for him right now, but controversial given his background: Coutinho. Imagine the reception he’d get at Anfield?!

Honestly, if you think neymar is an over rated show pony, you havent seen him play too much over his career.

I’ll take that as confirmation so..

Dunno how anyone could turn their nose up at a front three of

Neymar - Lukaku - Sanchez

Then Sandro in behind Neymar, that’s the stuff of dreams :pac: and bring in Fred too and a nice little Brazilian version of the 3 amigos :D

https://twitter.com/RobDawsonESPN/status/995647427574104064
    Mourinho said Anthony Martial would play today but he's not in the squad. No reason given yet. He was at Old Trafford about 12pm but drove away.

He's not in the squad according to ESPN.

astradave wrote: »
    I’ll take that as confirmation so..

Dunno how anyone could turn their nose up at a front three of

Neymar - Lukaku - Sanchez

Then Sandro in behind Neymar, that’s the stuff of dreams :pac: and bring in Fred too and a nice little Brazilian version of the 3 amigos :D

My thoughts though would be that if we'd play Sanchez on the right, why aren't we already doing so?

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Either he was told be was not in the squad or he is being sold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Or you know he might be sick or injured ??

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/RobDawsonESPN/status/995647427574104064

He's not in the squad according to ESPN.

He gone

bangkok wrote: »

Honestly, if you think neymar is an over rated show pony, you havent seen him play too much over his career.

I have seen him play many many times, and in the flesh. Clearly I’m not saying he’s rubbish, but I do not believe that he is anywhere close to the top echelons (Ronaldo and Messi) or in that second tier you describe. Going to PSG sets of alarm bells for me also and suggest “mercenary”. I genuinely believe that he would be the worst signing in the history of the club. Ours is not a place for a spoofer with his cap on backwards and an entourage of 50.

He gone

That's the conclusion I've come to as well :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,471 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Neymar this week, Ronaldo next week.
    The season of bullsh1t has begun. World cup year transfer windows are clusterfvcks, very little business done early doors and the rags peddle the BS for months on end.

Glazers Out!

nullzero wrote: »
    Neymar this week, Ronaldo next week.
    The season of bullsh1t has begun. World cup year transfer windows are clusterfvcks, very little business done early doors and the rags peddle the BS for months on end.
    Lukaku
    Ronaldo - Neymar - Sanchez
    Messi - Savic
    Sandro - Bailly - Alderwield - TFM
    DDG

My thoughts though would be that if we'd play Sanchez on the right, why aren't we already doing so?

I think it all comes back to the LB position, he doesn’t trust the lads to work as hard as Sanchez does out there to help Young out. Sanchez works his bollox off really

• Advertisement

Young on the wing or 3 at the back?

Awful looking side with no young lads on the bench either. Meh to this.

United XI vs Watford: Romero, Darmian, Young, Blind, Rojo, Bailly, Carrick, McTominay, Mata, Sanchez, Rashford.

Nothing exciting about that line up. Can't see that side producing anything enjoyable to watch. MUTV saying a midfield three of Blind, Carric, McTominay. ABSOLUTELY RUBBISH MIDFIELD.

Well no Fantasy Premier League points with De Gea then..

I have seen him play many many times, and in the flesh. Clearly I’m not saying he’s rubbish, but I do not believe that he is anywhere close to the top echelons (Ronaldo and Messi) or in that second tier you describe. Going to PSG sets of alarm bells for me also and suggest “mercenary”. I genuinely believe that he would be the worst signing in the history of the club. Ours is not a place for a spoofer with his cap on backwards and an entourage of 50.

Neymar is an exceptional player and would get into any team in the world right now.He may have a huge entourage and his attitude may not be the best but he is without doubt a top class player.
    I get you may not want him at United for several reasons but from a purely footballing side of things he is without question a huge addition to any team.To call him a Spoofer is ridiculous.

Young on the wing or 3 at the back?

Awful looking side with no young lads on the bench either. Meh to this.

Seen that, no Chong or Gomes etc

I was going to find a dodgy stream but not going to bother now.

What a horrible team. Why play players in a nothing game who won't be here next year when you could play young lads who might be here for years to come.

• Advertisement

United XI vs Watford: Romero, Darmian, Young, Blind, Rojo, Bailly, Carrick, McTominay, Mata, Sanchez, Rashford.

Nothing exciting about that line up. Can't see that side producing anything enjoyable to watch. MUTV saying a midfield three of Blind, Carric, McTominay. ABSOLUTELY RUBBISH MIDFIELD.

Thats a desperate looking side.

I also hope this isn't Jose giving Romero minutes before the cup final -DDG needs to be picked for the Cup Final (though I said the same for the EL final and I was pissed when Romero played that one too)

Ffs end of season game, 2nd secured and nothing to look forward to with that line up.

Could have given Gomes, Chong or Greenwood a look in today. But nope. Could have been an exciting day. Could have gone for an attacking line up... but plays THREE DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDERS AT HOME TO WATFORD.

Flat back 5 at home in a nothing game

I mean seriously... THREE DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDERS.

THREE GOD DAMNED DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDERS.

WHAT THE HELL.

Could have given Gomes, Chong or Greenwood a look in today. But nope. Could have been an exciting day. Could have gone for an attacking line up... but plays THREE DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDERS AT HOME TO WATFORD.

He could have given all 3 a good run out.Especially Chong on RW when we are crying out for someone there.
    Why bother playing Blind ?Give Lindelof another 90mins ffs.

Well no Fantasy Premier League points with De Gea then..

He said during the week he wouldnt be playing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

I think thats a shop window line up. Trying to clear out a few of them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

MUTV saying Martial is injured

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement