Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,398 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

jayo26 wrote: »
    I'd have him ahead of smalling and Jones on recent form tho.

I'd go with Jones, reluctantly.

Rojo at his best would be in the conversation too - poor season for him. Was probably bailly and Rojo earmarked as first choice imo.

I'm hoping we get alderwield this summer. Him and bailly with lindelof next up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I'd go with Jones, reluctantly.

Rojo at his best would be in the conversation too - poor season for him. Was probably bailly and Rojo earmarked as first choice imo.

I'm hoping we get alderwield this summer. Him and bailly with lindelof next up.

Yeah I'd be disappointed if we don't get a new central defender in to be honest.

With Carrick the last of the 08 side to go, I can only think ddg of the current side would make that starting 11.

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Will actually feel sorry to see the back of Blind this summer. A tidy player and his passing his biggest strength. Just doesnt suit us at the moment. Will do well where ever he goes

There seemed to be an air of him being given a 'farewell lap' today alright.

I know he's among the first on the list of rumoured players who will likely leave this Summer, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him still here next season.

Blind's most recent words about his playing situation seemed to have him wholly content with his place in the squad and the fact that he must fight for a spot in the team like everyone else.

He has a good attitude in fairness, is what you'd call a good squad player, and was effective for us in our strong start to the season.

If he goes, so be it, but I don't take it as a given that Blind won't be here next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Post match quotes

Mourinho on Martial: "He was injured [knee]. He was injured in Friday's training session and couldn't train yesterday. [Fit for final?] I don't know. I know Romelu will be back for Tuesday, but Anthony I have to wait for."

Jose Mourinho confirms no direct replacement for Rui Faria: "No number two. I will reorganise my coaching staff in a way assistant manager doesn't exist."

Mourinho on his assistant coach: “I think it will be Michael Carrick in the future, when he has his badges. I have nobody in the world of football to be my assistant. I prefer to educate people. Naturally when Michael has the pro license, I think it will be for him.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭limnam

With Carrick the last of the 08 side to go, I can only think ddg of the current side would make that starting 11.

Yeah it's hard to see someone like matic/pogba get in front of

park/gibson/fletcher/anderson/hargreaves

You're right, Times are hard when 10 years later you still can't get someone better than Johnny Evans.

You're starting to come across bit bankokky.

It's not a good look.

limnam wrote: »
    Yeah it's hard to see someone like matic/pogba get in front of

park/gibson/fletcher/anderson/hargreaves

You're right, Times are hard when 10 years later you still can't get someone better than Johnny Evans.

You're starting to come across bit bankokky.

It's not a good look.

Was the 08 midfield not Hargreaves, Carrick and Scholes, with Ronaldo, tevez and Rooney up front? I don't see any of them being dropped for our current lot.

Defence of vidic, rio and evra, certainties. Neville was still RB then wasn't he, but i remember brown starting the final. Would pick brown in 08 over valencia.

Ddg is better than VDS.

Which of the 08 first choice 11 would you drop and who would you bring in?

Was the 08 midfield not Hargreaves, Carrick and Scholes, with Ronaldo, tevez and Rooney up front? I don't see any of them being dropped for our current lot.

Defence of vidic, rio and evra, certainties. Neville was still RB then wasn't he, but i remember brown starting the final. Would pick brown in 08 over valencia.

yeah we just played with the same 11 players every match for 90 minutes for the whole year.

• Advertisement

yeah we just played with the same 11 players every match for 90 minutes for the whole year.

I said starting 11 which I thought would be understandable as first choice. Of course players from the current squad would make the first team squad. To say otherwise is insane. But the 08 first choice would get 9 or 10 spots in a combined first 11 imo, which is what I was saying ("starting 11").

I said starting 11 which I thought would be understandable as first choice. Of course players from the current squad would make the first team squad. To say otherwise is insane. But the 08 first choice would get 9 or 10 spots in a combined first 11 imo, which is what I was saying ("starting 11").

It's not the 1980's first 11 has little to no meaning anymore.

If you're in the starting 11 away to Liverpool You're "first choice" in my book.

Park/Fletcher/Heargreaves/Anderson all at different points started big games.

I'd have Matic/Pogba instead of any of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

There seemed to be an air of him being given a 'farewell lap' today alright.

I know he's among the first on the list of rumoured players who will likely leave this Summer, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him still here next season.

Blind's most recent words about his playing situation seemed to have him wholly content with his place in the squad and the fact that he must fight for a spot in the team like everyone else.

He has a good attitude in fairness, is what you'd call a good squad player, and was effective for us in our strong start to the season.

If he goes, so be it, but I don't take it as a given that Blind won't be here next season.

Realisctally will he get in the squad, espeicially if we add to the midfield this summer. Midfield is his best position imo.
    Would actually be one of the players id be happy to see go juat for the fact id like to see him play more football

It's not the 1980's first 11 has little to no meaning anymore.

If you're in the starting 11 away to Liverpool You're "first choice" in my book.

Park/Fletcher/Heargreaves/Anderson all at different points started big games.

I'd have Matic/Pogba instead of any of them

Pogba for Hargreaves is the only outfield one I'd look at.

All other outfield spots would be 08 first choice imo. Maybe an indictment of the current side, but that 08 side was an incredible group.

but that 08 side was an incredible group.

There's no doubt about it.

But it was managed at that stage by the same person for the 22 years previous to 08.

We're comparing it to a team that's had someone manage it for two years.

Players from 3 different managers before him.

If you want to make a comparison look at Fergie's start.

3 years to get his first bit of silverware. (FA cup)

6 years for his first league win.

5 years for his first league cup

12 years for his first CL.

Bit of perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Post match quotes

Mourinho on Martial: "He was injured [knee]. He was injured in Friday's training session and couldn't train yesterday. [Fit for final?] I don't know. I know Romelu will be back for Tuesday, but Anthony I have to wait for."

Jose Mourinho confirms no direct replacement for Rui Faria: "No number two. I will reorganise my coaching staff in a way assistant manager doesn't exist."

Mourinho on his assistant coach: “I think it will be Michael Carrick in the future, when he has his badges. I have nobody in the world of football to be my assistant. I prefer to educate people. Naturally when Michael has the pro license, I think it will be for him.”

Jose seems to really like Carrick as a coach anyways and the embrace when Carrick came off said it all. Think they will have a great relationship as I don’t see Carrick as a yes man. Supposedly Rui was the same, and he wasn’t afraid to tell Jose what was what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,187 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Michael Carrick, another player who will only truly be appreciated now he has retired

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Best wishes to Michael Carrick; a fantastic player and a gent by all accounts.

Looking forward to next season, I can’t wait to see Alexis Sanchez hit the ground running. Lest we forget, Vidic and Evra joined mid-season and didn’t look too hot; it’s hard to do, but the upside is that the player is properly bedded in come the start of the next season; I expect big things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Econ_

Does anyone here trust Mourinho to overhaul City? I think a change in direction is needed.

Allegri would be a no brainer if he can be prized away. A left of field choice would be Brendan Rodgers; he's done superb work at Celtic, is young and has a modern/vibrant/attractive management style. Pochettino has given strong hints that he's prepared to leave Spurs. Another no brainer given the alternative is another season of Mourinho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Swap for Pep?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Econ_ wrote: »
    Does anyone here trust Mourinho to overhaul City? I think a change in direction is needed.

Allegri would be a no brainer if he can be prized away. A left of field choice would be Brendan Rodgers; he's done superb work at Celtic, is young and has a modern/vibrant/attractive management style. Pochettino has given strong hints that he's prepared to leave Spurs. Another no brainer given the alternative is another season of Mourinho.

Lol, so much wrong with this post

Brendan Rodgers to replace Jose Mourinho?

Just when I thought that I’d heard everything!

Mother of God.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

astradave wrote: »
    giphy.gif

I see your Michael Jackson eating popcorn gif, and raise with this.

dgbg.gif

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Hahahaha
    Fine attempt at something I’m not allowed say.....
    pity you won’t get the reaction you want

Let's run through the managers mentioned, Allegri, possibly staying at Juventus, or next Arsenal boss, who knows, so unlikely.

Brendan Rodgers, due to the Liverpool connection, NOT A FCUKING CHANCE, also Rodgers doing good work at Celtic, easy when the Scottish League is **** and they've no real challengers, they've won their League, 7 times on the bounce or something like that.

Pochettino, also as unlikely, as he'll probably stay at Spurs another season, then swan off to Real Madrid, when & if they come calling.

My Granny could manage Celtic to the Scottish League title...and she died in 2010.

• Advertisement

Anyone could manage Celtic, not exactly a challenging job..

brinty wrote: »
    Hahahaha
    Fine attempt at something I’m not allowed say.....
    pity you won’t get the reaction you want

So much ****housery, it'd make Ander proud.

• Honestly lads, stop feeding it, lads coming out of the woodwork and only have one mission in mind :pac::D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Don't think this was posted. Jose teaches Jack Whitehall how to drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

My Granny could manage Celtic to the Scottish League title...and she died in 2010.

what a weird post that is.

MD1990 wrote: »

what a weird post that is.

You’re easily shocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Don't think this was posted. Jose teaches Jack Whitehall how to drive.

Love Jose, and he's ours, the handsome trolling barsteward

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Wonder if bailly did enough to get back into Jose's good books (according to supposed informed speculation) or the cup final team.

I'd be far happier to see him at the back over everyone else.

Mourinho said he is hasn't been playing Baily because he doesn't have the WC this year, and is given WC players game time (Rojo, Smalling, etc). I'd expect Baily to start with Smalling partnering him.

Anything to be said about bringing back Ben Amos :D

https://twitter.com/mbgoalkeeping/status/995737197931266049?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Mourinho said he is hasn't been playing Baily because he doesn't have the WC this year, and is given WC players game time (Rojo, Smalling, etc). I'd expect Baily to start with Smalling partnering him.

Sanchez doesnt have world cup either and martial didnt see much game time so that excuse doesnt add up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

You’re easily shocked.

I'm not shocked just a weird post to make.

bangkok wrote: »
    Sanchez doesnt have world cup either and martial didnt see much game time so that excuse doesnt add up

Its all a big conspiracy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

“My granny would have scored that...”
    Fairly common phrase.

MD1990 wrote: »
    You’re easily shocked.

I'm not shocked just a weird post to make.

What’s weird about it?

sheroman01 wrote: »

As bangkok said, that excuse doesn't add up when you look at martial and rashford fir example.

Its more likely Jose was lying and dropped bailly out of the side for some other reason - such as crying off ill before West brom. Jose likes his players playing through issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Fairly indicative of my feelings this season. Just realised when I was climbing into the leaba that I had MOTD recorded. Hesitated for a second then went to bed. I'm a lad who took every scrap of Info from top to bottom on the club all my life but lately it's just been so meh. Can't summon the optimism that he can galvanize the players he has or the new players he's going to buy.

Was so upbeat after the semi final, had just got back to the hotel after running the London marathon, actually thought they'd turned a corner and we'd see some positive football from then on but it's been muck since that day. Here's Hoping we can get over the line next week cos Chelsea aren't a whole lot better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Having just got around too watching the full match on MUTV.Sanchez once again put in a very underwhelming showing.He's been for a very large part ****e,since he's arrived.

17 apps so far and he's registered a measly 3 goals and 3 assists. It's fair too say we're witnessing a player on a rapid decline.

Onto the cup final on Saturday and not confident in this side,that they'll beat Chelsea. I just hope we give them a good game.I'd be happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Thinking about something this morning and how silly it was playing most of the season without a pacy right winger when given how well Salah did it was clearly a position that could be exploited. I thought Sanchez was being bought to play that role and yet he is playing some sort of undefined inside deep left position. He has proven time and again he is horrid in possession and his strengths are in the box but is still being allowed to play where he wants it seems.

Maybe a rest and a team better at carrying the ball forward next season will help as it's something that's been lacking since Pogba has moved from the deeper midfield position. All too static and predictable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Liam O wrote: »
    Thinking about something this morning and how silly it was playing most of the season without a pacy right winger when given how well Salah did it was clearly a position that could be exploited. I thought Sanchez was being bought to play that role and yet he is playing some sort of undefined inside deep left position. He has proven time and again he is horrid in possession and his strengths are in the box but is still being allowed to play where he wants it seems.

Maybe a rest and a team better at carrying the ball forward next season will help as it's something that's been lacking since Pogba has moved from the deeper midfield position. All too static and predictable.

Totally agree Liam on all points I said when Sanchez was signing unless we were signing him to fill the right side midfield problem he won't change the team at all and a midfield signing in January would be more helpful.

Sanchez has been pointless since arriving. I was 90% sure he was gunna go RW when he signed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement