Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,470 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

astradave wrote: »
    And yet he would still be an upgrade on every one of our midfielders bar an in form Pogba

Its a bit worrying that our reported targets seem to be in the 30+ region.

Willian first and now Dembele.

If his head has been turned by the Chinese money already then let him off I'd say - unless we can get him at very reasonable price. But that's doubtful.

We need more energy in midfield, its been far too sluggish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

And yet he would still be an upgrade on every one of our midfielders bar an in form Pogba

One of my favourite non Utd players in Premier League. I remember us being linked when he was at Fulham and disappointed that it never materialised.
    His display away to Juve alone this season would show how he could instantly improve that area for us.
    But like others said he seems to pick up a lot of niggle little injuries which given his age isn't likely to get any better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭xtal191

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Its a bit worrying that our reported targets seem to be in the 30+ region.

Willian first and now Dembele.

If his head has been turned by the Chinese money already then let him off I'd say - unless we can get him at very reasonable price. But that's doubtful.

We need more energy in midfield, its been far too sluggish

Eh Sessegnon 17, Savic 23, Fred 25, Jorginho 26, Sandro 27, Alderweireld 29 etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭bassy

Away from all the rubbish transfer talks and endless speculation what do United fans think of Brian kidd?.and you know what I mean before any smart felllas comment.

Seems to love the glory train has no alligences it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

bassy wrote: »
    Away from all the rubbish transfer talks and endless speculation what do United fans think of Brian kidd?.and you know what I mean before any smart felllas comment.

Seems to love the glory train has no alligences it seems.

Had he not fallen out with Ferguson, would probably still be at the club in some capacity.
    Loves the club, but has to put food on the table, so good luck to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Had he not fallen out with Ferguson, would probably still be at the club in some capacity.
    Loves the club, but has to put food on the table, so good luck to him.

What happened with him and Sir Alex?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

MrMac84 wrote: »

Kidd took the Blackburn job without telling Fergie and he got the hump over it.

I've no problems at all with kidd he is a United legend won the biggest trophies of his career with United as a player and played for city too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

MrMac84 wrote: »

Dont think much happened when they were together, he was a bit of a moaner, kidd wanted to be a manager himself and fergie wanted a new no2.

In fergies book though he said he wasnt cut out to be a manager and he questioned everything. Wanted fergie to sign john hartson instead of dwight yorke as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Transfer window opens on Thursday.
    Closes on 9 August.

Jose has said that he wants business done early,well we only have two days to wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,398 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Closes on 9 August.

Jose has said that he wants business done early,well we only have two days to wait.

Stupid FA Cup final getting in the way of important transfer business.

Stupid FA Cup final getting in the way of important transfer business.

The way United and Chelsea are playing you don't realise how on the mark you could be.

Chelsea lining up Poch if he leaves spurs this week

bangkok wrote: »

Transfer thread.....you zerked it. ;):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Bangkok when reading the news this morning :D

raining_david_tennant.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Souness was angry, hopefully it's the beginning of the end for him

http://www.football365.com/news/souness-storms-off-sky-sports-set-in-angry-tirade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Saw the video of Deadpool taking over United. Best thing the club did was starting their own YouTube channel..

I normally find football club stuff like that absolute cringe, but found myself laughing a few times in the Deadpool one.

****, I've turned from fan to customer

Closes on 9 August.

I won't be surprised to see Alderweireld join quickly. Linked so heavily and while obviously plenty of people are after him, we look to be a front runner.

Hate dealing with Totenham though, imagine he will be £50m+ for whoever gets him : /

Ed's been on fire last while, hopefully another good summer where the manager gets what he wants.

The new window dates start this summer right? Where we can sell players abroad during August but the registration and signing date is start of August before league kicks off? With World Cup, and a new transfer window deadlne, this could be a mental summer in terms of costs and the likes. England are so ****ing stupid when it comes to things like this

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I reckon Poch will stay but will come down to his talks with Spurs.

He's made it pretty clear in his recent interview with the press that he wants Spurs to move forward in terms of competing and he thinks he needs more financial backing to do so. He mentioned something about sometimes people think his plans are too ambitious.

To be fair to him he has finished 2nd and 3rd with Spurs despite the fact that in terms of spending they would be 5th or 6th during last two years in the league, so he does have a point.

Can't see him leaving though, and wouldn't want him to as I think it lowers chances in the future of getting him, as we have no interest in him now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Souness was angry, hopefully it's the beginning of the end for him

http://www.football365.com/news/souness-storms-off-sky-sports-set-in-angry-tirade

No loss if Sky cut him loose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

TheDoc wrote: »
    I won't be surprised to see Alderweireld join quickly. Linked so heavily and while obviously plenty of people are after him, we look to be a front runner.

Hate dealing with Totenham though, imagine he will be £50m+ for whoever gets him : /

Ed's been on fire last while, hopefully another good summer where the manager gets what he wants.

The new window dates start this summer right? Where we can sell players abroad during August but the registration and signing date is start of August before league kicks off? With World Cup, and a new transfer window deadlne, this could be a mental summer in terms of costs and the likes. England are so ****ing stupid when it comes to things like this

The first bit of business Ed should be doing, is getting DeGea on a new contract.
    If he joins up with the Real players at the WC without one, they will be pouring poison in his ear all summer to join them. Possibly even jersey shenanigans a'la Barcelona and Fabregas.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/sjstandardsport/status/996339615173955584

£40 million for Alderweireld, that's taking the piss.
    Spurs to replace him with De Ligt.

Id be happy with 40m for him.Hes arguably the best CB in the league and a realistic signing. If it wasnt for the contract situation he would be a lot dearer.
    40m for him and recoup some of the fee by selling Smalling/Jones.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Id be happy with 40m for him.Hes arguably the best CB in the league and a realistic signing. If it wasnt for the contract situation he would be a lot dearer.
    40m for him and recoup some of the fee by selling Smalling/Jones.

Yeah thats a good shout. If we sign a new CB, one at a min is going, and we need to start being a bit more ruthless with our business and the fees we take.

We've been a bit of a charity shop over the years selling quality players on the cheap. All our CB's would command £20m at a minimum in todays market, nevermind the fact like Smalling and Jones realistically should be in the £30-40m range as experienced players at a high level, and both as PL title winners.

If Martial does go, he should be £40m at an absolute minimum. We were brave enough to take the punt and he's the real deal, so we arguably should break even at worst on him, anything less is poor business.

I'd imagine this summer will very much be "don't worry about the cost" and just get the players the manager feels we need and move on. WC summers I imagine are the worst for clubs, nevermind a shortened window

TheDoc wrote: »
    Yeah thats a good shout. If we sign a new CB, one at a min is going, and we need to start being a bit more ruthless with our business and the fees we take.

We've been a bit of a charity shop over the years selling quality players on the cheap. All our CB's would command £20m at a minimum in todays market, nevermind the fact like Smalling and Jones realistically should be in the £30-40m range as experienced players at a high level, and both as PL title winners.

If Martial does go, he should be £40m at an absolute minimum. We were brave enough to take the punt and he's the real deal, so we arguably should break even at worst on him, anything less is poor business.

I'd imagine this summer will very much be "don't worry about the cost" and just get the players the manager feels we need and move on. WC summers I imagine are the worst for clubs, nevermind a shortened window

Martial will sell for easily 60-70m imo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Martial will sell for easily 60-70m imo

He won't, "easily".

He's a fringe player at a top club who looks to want out and who the manager wants rid of too. He has, what, two years left on his contract, and being honest, his performances for the last two years haven't been stellar. Now, fans of his will dismiss that as managerial problems, but reality is that buying teams will be far more cynical of the risk involved.

That said, could see him used in a swap deal quite easily, ala Mkhi where we don't get a proper valuation.

But straight cash? Best case would be €40m + some add ons if he achieves his potential.

Castles saying we want up to 2 CM and as many as 4 defenders

https://twitter.com/duncancastles/status/996374245440737281?s=21

2 cm and 4 defenders... where are the attackers?!

Lord TSC wrote: »
    He won't, "easily".

He's a fringe player at a top club who looks to want out and who the manager wants rid of too. He has, what, two years left on his contract, and being honest, his performances for the last two years haven't been stellar. Now, fans of his will dismiss that as managerial problems, but reality is that buying teams will be far more cynical of the risk involved.

That said, could see him used in a swap deal quite easily, ala Mkhi where we don't get a proper valuation.

But straight cash? Best case would be €40m + some add ons if he achieves his potential.

He is also 22, a french international, has shown what he can do at top level. Couldnt see utd selling for that cheap

Seems about right,3 defenders and 2 cms wouldn't be excessive. Hopefully a RW is signed as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Crazy to think that Martial hasn't hit any of his bonus clause targets and even if he stays this summer he is unlikely to hit 2 out of the 3. Monaco were surely expecting another ~£15 million out of that deal.

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    He won't, "easily".

Well Bangkok said in his opinion.

I imagine he's going by the fact Martial's current market value is apparently £57 million (€65million). So he must be assuming the value is correct and in a market where we see team overpaying that we can expect more than his value.

It's interpretations and can't really get much out of it. Would rather we held onto him.

Considering however that we initially paid £36m (which potentially could have been more like £58m now), and since we have bought him he's become a French international (18 caps) and despite many believing he is only a fringe player has still gone on to play over 100 games for us, scoring around 40 goals, and picking up individual club and league awards on during this time.

He has another year left and we have an option I think of extending that to two years. I personally wouldn't be impressed if we sold him for £35m (€40m), already a loss at what we paid upfront but also a big loss to what we apparently ended up paying for him [edit: this may be wrong]. He stills is extremely talented and young. If we can't get a fair price for him I'd rather we held onto him.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Crazy to think that Martial hasn't hit any of his bonus clause targets and even if he stays this summer he is unlikely to hit 2 out of the 3. Monaco were surely expecting another ~£15 million out of that deal.

Sorry only saw after.

Any details on the bonuses?

It's in euros so it would actually be a lot more if he were to trigger them now.

e10m for 25 PL goals before Jan 19
    e10m for 25 caps for France while at United before Jan 19
    e10m for winning the Ballon d'Or before Jan 20

S.M.B. wrote: »
    It's in euros so it would actually be a lot more if he were to trigger them now.

So pretty much some we may end up forking out for.
    e10m for 25 PL goals before Jan 19 (on 24 goals)
    e10m for 25 caps for France while at United before Jan 19 (on 18 goals)
    e10m for winning the Ballon d'Or before Jan 20 (......eh)

So basically looks like one so is set in stone the other is unlikely but who knows, world cup coming up, and the final is ...eh yeah.

Wonder if that has been on the boards mind if they plan on selling him due to not wanting to pay out the bonuses for a player not playing regularly as part of Josés plan.

2 cm and 4 defenders... where are the attackers?!

Well unless one of the attackers leaves, we won’t be signing one, Jose’s been saying that for months.. so if Martial moves on we will replace him, probably with a RW

If we sign better fullbacks that will allow the attackers to operate better..

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Well Bangkok said in his opinion.

I imagine he's going by the fact Martial's current market value is apparently £57 million (€65million). So he must be assuming the value is correct and in a market where we see team overpaying that we can expect more than his value.

It's interpretations and can't really get much out of it. Would rather we held onto him.

Considering however that we initially paid £36m (which potentially could have been more like £58m now), and since we have bought him he's become a French international (18 caps) and despite many believing he is only a fringe player has still gone on to play over 100 games for us, scoring around 40 goals, and picking up individual club and league awards on during this time.

He has another year left and we have an option I think of extending that to two years. I personally wouldn't be impressed if we sold him for £35m (€40m), already a loss at what we paid upfront but also a big loss to what we apparently ended up paying for him [edit: this may be wrong]. He stills is extremely talented and young. If we can't get a fair price for him I'd rather we held onto him.

Who calculated this and how?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,187 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

TFM is gone I guess. If we do sign Alderweireld I would definitely let Lindelöf join Wolves.

So pretty much some we may end up forking out for.

So basically looks like one so is set in stone the other is unlikely but who knows, world cup coming up, and the final is ...eh yeah.

Wonder if that has been on the boards mind if they plan on selling him due to not wanting to pay out the bonuses for a player not playing regularly as part of Josés plan.
    Yeah, so e10m would be closer to £9m now compared to £7m 3 years ago.

There was quite a bit of talk around this in January as he approached 25 goals. It has to factor into the decision to keep/sell in some small way.

Can't see him making the WC squad let alone the 25 caps he'd need.

• Advertisement

Who calculated this and how?
    Probably someone like transfermarkt. Not sure if their valuation takes all factors into the equation or not.

I know the site well but I definitely wouldn’t use their market value as any sort of gauge to real figures that would be used.

Like even look at the top two there, while it would be in the opposite direction, Messi and Neymar. £162m.. teams would get no where offering that for either. Neymar went last year for £200m(e220)

I know the site well but I definitely wouldn’t use their market value as any sort of gauge to real figures that would be used.

Like even look at the top two there, while it would be in the opposite direction, Messi and Neymar. £162m.. teams would get no where offering that for either. Neymar went last year for £200m(e220)

Your post actually backs up my point :pac:

It is becoming the norm for us to see teams now pay above the market value calculations from sites like transfermarkt. So I said if they have him valued at £57m I can understand people speculating that we could sell him for between £60-£80m. This obviously will come down to the demand out there for him too though.

Neymar went for 222m and that figure is only because of world cup qatar 2022.

Your post actually backs up my point :pac:

It is becoming the norm for us to see teams now pay above the market value calculations from sites like transfermarkt. So I said if they have him valued at £57m I can understand people speculating that we could sell him for between £60-£80m. This obviously will come down to the demand out there for him too though.

But it works both ways because sites like that don’t really take into account club factors and the like. They only really use hard stats. So taking into account the circumstances around Martial, while his statistical market value is 57m his true market value could be considerably lower. Personally think he will go for between 45/50m. I’d be very surprised (in a good way)if we got between 60-80m gbp for him

Neymar went for 222m and that figure is only because of world cup qatar 2022.

So do you think Barcelona would have accepted a bid of £162m.. I don’t think they would have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Well that site is worth shag all use...
    De gea 4th most valuable keeper
    Neuer 8th most valuable....

And i stopped right there.....

pjohnson wrote: »
    TFM is gone I guess. If we do sign Alderweireld I would definitely let Lindelöf join Wolves.

Played right back a decent amount - could be used there as a first entry to the first team.

I would be selling form jones/smalling/rojo before TFM if we get Alderwield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

So do you think Barcelona would have accepted a bid of £162m.. I don’t think they would have.

:rolleyes:

Really mate, don't raise to the bait, you're better than this....
    You know where this ends up....

moving-goalpost-argument-football-field-gif-9264828

a bit more than half the price of VVD, less than Stones, Laporte, not much more than Arsenal spent on Shkodran Mustafi. In todays market, I would reckon that is a good deal for him. Not a bargain, but good value. How much do you think he should go for, why do you think it is taking the piss?

Played right back a decent amount - could be used there as a first entry to the first team.

I would be selling form jones/smalling/rojo before TFM if we get Alderwield.

I do think Jose is going to look at Fullbacks who can cross the ball with accuracy, and quickly. TFM imo is more suited to CB or playing RB in a more defensive minded team. I don’t think he would have a good enough skill set to be there for us even as back up mainly because my hope would be a new RB then Valencia can be back up

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement