Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Jones, Lingard, Young and Rashford get the callup for the World Cup :D

No Smalling.

Was looking at the squad there, is it just me or did he select 5CB and 5FB but only 2 natural CM(and Dier)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

astradave wrote: »
    Was looking at the squad there, is it just me or did he select 5CB and 5FB but only 2 natural CM(and Dier)

He did,the squad is absolute dirt and completely lopsided.

It's the worst squad I can remember them sending to a tournament.

bangkok wrote: »
    Bellerin
    Johnny Evans
    Toni Kroos
    Seri

I don’t think we were actually linked to Evans though were we? We’re we not just discussing it as a potential as he was only 3m, don’t think anyone linked us.. Kroos and Seri yeah, dunno how I forgot Seri as I was only talking about him in work :D

When were we linked to Bellerin

yabadabado wrote: »

Basically Dier and Henderson for every game with RLC as a back up? If there is injuries there he’s absolutely ****ered, he’s still playing 352? With 2 CM and one number 10 isn’t he? Don’t know what he was thinking tbh..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

9 defenders 6 mid and 5 strikers

They playing a 3 5 2 formation so looks a decent squad. No "superstars" as such

9 defenders 6 mid and 5 strikers

They playing a 3 5 2 formation so looks a decent squad. No "superstars" as such

5 mid.. Dier Henderson RLC Lingard Alli. So one DM, 2 CM and 2 AM

Basically Dier and Henderson for every game with RLC as a back up? If there is injuries there he’s absolutely ****ered, he’s still playing 352? With 2 CM and one number 10 isn’t he? Don’t know what he was thinking tbh..

Delph is there as well.

Basically be

Butland

Walker stones cahill

Tripper dier henderson rose

Sterling kane welbeck

Delph is there as well.

Basically be

Butland

Walker stones cahill

Sterling kane welbeck

So first you say he will play 352 and then proceed to put up a 343 line up ha.. Delph is listed under the defenders, though yeah he could be a back up LB and CM

I’d say he might go for the opening game

Pickford
    Stones Maguire Cahill
    Walker henderson Dier Rose
    Alli
    Kane Sterling

So first you say he will play 352 and then proceed to put up a 343 line up ha.. Delph is listed under the defenders, though yeah he could be a back up LB and CM

Pickford
    Stones Maguire Cahill
    Alli
    Kane Sterling

Totally forgot alli. He was using walker in the back 3 for his pace. Trippier be rb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

Pickford
    Stones Maguire Cahill
    Alli
    Kane Sterling

he has welbeck in the starting line up his opinion isn't relevant, seriously though that midfield is gonna get destroyed they get out of the group given how easy it should be, bar belgium destroying them imo

• Advertisement

Delph is there as well.

Basically be

Butland

Walker stones cahill

Sterling kane welbeck

Thats still very poor .They have a huge lack of quality in the squad.

chips1234 wrote: »
    he has welbeck in the starting line up his opinion isn't relevant, seriously though that midfield is gonna get destroyed they get out of the group given how easy it should be, bar belgium destroying them imo

Don’t let Bangkok hear you saying anything untoward about Dizzy Welbz :D

I agree, the only reason I could see him picking that is to bypass it going forward and using a more direct counter attacking style and leave the midfield to help out the defence without the ball. Defence>Alli/Sterling>Kane/shot

Ali in place of webeck. I said i forgot about him.

Anyway welbeck has 15 goals in 37 caps for england a very good record

Ali in place of webeck. I said i forgot about him.

Anyway welbeck has 15 goals in 37 caps for england a very good record

it was a joke, still the fact welbeck is even being considered shows a huge lack of depth in the england squad imo, also the fact cahill gets picked over smalling is worrying for me as a united fan.

Don’t let Bangkok hear you saying anything untoward about Dizzy Welbz :D

I agree, the only reason I could see him picking that is to bypass it going forward and using a more direct counter attacking style and leave the midfield to help out the defence without the ball. Defence>Alli/Sterling>Kane/shot

yeah this is most likely it, it wont work but that will be the gameplan, disappointing but doesnt matter, semis are gonna be brazil/germany/belgium/france either way(not looked if they have to play each other before that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

it was a joke, still the fact welbeck is even being considered shows a huge lack of depth in the england squad imo, also the fact cahill gets picked over smalling is worrying for me as a united fan.

Well Southgate did come out with this a few months ago...
    Asked if he felt Smalling struggles to play the ball out from the back, Southgate replied: "No, I think he can. We have players like Stones and (Eric) Dier and Maguire who are even better.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12016/11110783/gareth-southgate-questions-chris-smallings-passing-ability

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭IBrows89

yabadabado wrote: »

I genuinely don't think it's too bad, there's fairly strong cover for most positions as well. 5-4-1, formation not actually showing on the post

Butland
    Walker Stones Jones/Maguire
    Trippier Delph
    Dier Henderson
    Alli Sterling
    Kane

Can see that team putting a pretty decent performance against most teams.

Welbeck has proven though he is good enough for england. Good work rate, pace and tactical awarness. Smalling is poor though. His passing is awful

FatherTed wrote: »

yeah this is what worries me about him, he is just not good enough at the level we want to be at. in saying that do we trust southgates ability to recognize this tho ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

IBrows89 wrote: »
    I genuinely don't think it's too bad, there's fairly strong cover for most positions as well.

Butland
    Walker Stones Jones/Maguire
    Trippier Delph
    Dier Henderson
    Alli Sterling
    Kane

Can see that team putting a pretty decent performance against most teams.
    much as I am loathe to discuss the england team in detail, in a united thread...

the problem is central midfield. The creativity, speed of pass and ability to bring it through the lines just isn't there, and that is what will do for them. They need a composed passer of the ball in there, and they don't have it, imo. Wilshere is the closest they could get ajd they are not bringing him

much as I am loathe to discuss the england team in detail, in a united thread...

the problem is central midfield. The creativity, speed of pass and ability to bring it through the lines just isn't there, and that is what will do for them. They need a composed passer of the ball in there, and they don't have it, imo. Wilshere is the closest they could get ajd they are not bringing him

Liverpools midfield doesnt look up to much either but it is good as a unit. Well drilled

Welbeck has proven though he is good enough for england. Good work rate, pace and tactical awarness. Smalling is poor though. His passing is awful

i agree re: smalling but, welbeck being good enough for england ? i cant agree with that at all im sorry, he just isnt doesnt start regularly for arsenal atm and imo should not even be considered for england, in saying that if you asked me who else should take his place i really dont know what name id say, and that is where the depth in that english team lacks they just arent producing enough younger players to compete in these tournaments, look at the people brazil left out of their squad germany left out gotze etc they need to do more work producing players or they have no chance of ever competing in international tournaments imo

Liverpools midfield doesnt look up to much either but it is good as a unit. Well drilled

Henderson backing Can and AOC is a different kettle of fish though, imo. And I think Klopp is better at building an attacking side than Southgate, and Klopp had a lot more time than Southgate will have.

Also, one less defender in the side makes a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Wouldn't be surprised to see them doing well enough all things considered.

If they can replicate some club form into the World Cup they will do alright. The attack is pretty good, the midfield is solid (Although expect Dier might get found out again) and the defence is being shaped to accommodate it's strengths.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭IBrows89

Just looking at TFM's instagram, he has a few video's up from this season. He looks so quick in some of them, would there be much difference between him and Valencia. Valencia's strongest attribute is speed and that will be decreasing now with his age, a like for like replacement for this season?

• Advertisement

IBrows89 wrote: »
    Just looking at TFM's instagram, he has a few video's up from this season. He looks so quick in some of them, would there be much difference between him and Valencia. Valencia's strongest attribute is speed and that will be decreasing now with his age, a like for like replacement for this season?

He’s deceptively quick but I don’t think he is good enough with the ball going forward or tactically aware in attack to be first Choice, reckon we will get a new Rb with Val being back up(if he wants) and if TFM wants to fight for a spot he can be a squad player who can cover a few positions(RB,CB&DM)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

If we don't see 3 signings by lunchtime tomorrow that's it..Jose out!! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

La Stampa: Alex Sandro on verge of finalising move to United for €50m, Official confirmation could come in next few days (but not before FA Cup final), Darmian will be allowed to go to Juve in a separate transfer (football-italia.net)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Not bad for 50million euro if true

Would be a nice start to the summer.

Shorter window, World Cup year - I can see a lot of clubs looking to get business done before the wold cup starts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

jayo26 wrote: »
    Not bad for 50million euro if true

Especially if we sell them Darmian to knock some of that off. Wonder if we'll get 10m for Darmian though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

La Stampa: Alex Sandro on verge of finalising move to United for €50m, Official confirmation could come in next few days (but not before FA Cup final), Darmian will be allowed to go to Juve in a separate transfer (football-italia.net)

Ties in with my post from earlier. per that Transfer Market website he's valued at 50m so that's about a good price. Thought he was younger... will be 28 in January but looked if we get LB sorted out for a couple of years bring it on. We've not had a solid dependable LB since Uncle Paddy left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Especially if we sell them Darmian to knock some of that off. Wonder if we'll get 10m for Darmian though....

Darmian going the opposite way but in a separate deal

What would be a reasonable fee for Darmian?
    He's surplus to requirements at the club so 10m probably best that can be hoped for.

Just realised Sandro wasn't picked for Brazilian squad.A nice easy summer for him and should be one of the first back for preseason.

I think this is the key to any deal, Juve will love getting an Italian international into their squad at a reduced price. I’m sure we have been in touch with his reps a long time now and just had to gett the deal sorted with Juve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Surprised Shelvey didn't make that squad. Can be a little fiery at times but is an excellent passer in a position where they don't have that many options

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Would be a nice start to the summer.

Shorter window, World Cup year - I can see a lot of clubs looking to get business done before the wold cup starts.

Agreed I feel like this could be a busy month for transfers. Im guessing 4 signings, at least 3 starters. A full back, Centre back, right and central midfielder would be nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I really hope all our signings are first 11 signings.

I’d like to see at least 4 possibly 5 but 4 at push is probably as much as we can hope for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Why is everyone repeating the “want to get things done early” cliché? There has never been any Summer transfer window either during a World Cup/European Cup or otherwise that United have not wanted to get things done early. This is the sort of talk that exaggerates the frustration when nothing happens for long periods.

Stop repeating the obvious please, and stop winding yourselves up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Also no Smalling in the England squad, although expected is still a bit of a joke.

GSPfan wrote: »
    Why is everyone repeating the “want to get things done early” cliché? There has never been any Summer transfer window either during a World Cup/European Cup or otherwise that United have not wanted to get things done early. This is the sort of talk that exaggerates the frustration when nothing happens for long periods.

So your basically saying no discussion in a discussion forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

tenor.gif?itemid=4945781

636024614400689882-798755374_tumblr_mzxbqmyzHj1r32wujo2_400.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

my kingdom for Griezmann

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,883 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Drumpot wrote: »
    Agreed I feel like this could be a busy month for transfers. Im guessing 4 signings, at least 3 starters. A full back, Centre back, right and central midfielder would be nice

I say forget all this and blow the whole budget on Griezman!:P (possibly because I'm watching the Europa League final ATM...)

I say forget all this and blow the whole budget on Griezman!:P (possibly because I'm watching the Europa League final ATM...)

Saul niguez brilliant player as well

Exactly. Especially from you. You hear me?

I’m trying to get everyone to stop discussing things and I’m trying to get it done early. If I don’t get it done by next Wednesday I’m gonna go mental. I picked Wednesday out of thin air but I’ve decided that’s the deadline for my expectations to be met or I wreck up the place.

adox wrote: »
    Also no Smalling in the England squad, although expected is still a bit of a joke.

With all due respect from an Irish person in a Utd forum...... so what!

Saul niguez brilliant player as well

Weren't we linked to him in the past ?
    A really good player who would be a nice addition .Covers plenty of positions across the midfield.

• Advertisement

With all due respect from an Irish person in a Utd forum...... so what!

I'd actually like to see them do well to be fair. Not many would agree with me but I'm not afraid to say it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement