Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

astradave wrote: »
    Sounds like something that would belong in After Hours :pac:

Giggity

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Anyone know anything bout Dembele at Barca?

Seeing reports he's being shopped round since Griezmann is inbound there, and the Barca fans on Reddit don't seem happy. Young, RW, and was talked about as heir to Messi....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

That's Martial likely gone for me.

He's better then plenty of the wide players picked in that squad and while players tend to blame everyone else bar themselves, he's got a pretty good case sighting this manager and environment as a stunt to his development.

Lord TSC wrote: »

Seeing reports he's being shopped round since Griezmann is inbound there, and the Barca fans on Reddit don't seem happy. Young, RW, and was talked about as heir to Messi....

Tough to say. He had a bad injury that kept him out for plenty of the season but wasn't particularly impressive on his return, but fair enough first season in Barca and suffered a bad injury.

Heir to Messi is an extremely overblown sentiment with no grounds in reality. He had one decent season with Dortmund and went for a ludicrous fee. Granted this is just my view on it, but if you hadn't a dicky on Dembele, us signing Memphis was a much bigger deal than Barca signing Dembele in relation to where they were at, and what they were doing for their clubs.

Considering Barca would want to recoup some of that outlay, I don't think it's a sensible purchase what so ever unless they are going to take a massive loss on him. And then you have to question why they are shifting him after a season. Explains in itself why that Messi statement a bit silly from wherever it came from.

Fair enough Barca board are rubbish and they are cash strapped but its a very odd situation.

But then this is the market, very few quality RW options out there. Personally I think if we are blowing $$$ on it, just go try get Bale, and everything after that is pretty much in the same bracket of ability/potential/age profile/play style.

Lord TSC wrote: »

He is a very good but still raw. Would be a massive improvement to our team but would cost around 80m

bangkok wrote: »
    He is a very good but still raw. Would be a massive improvement to our team but would cost around 80m

We should probably also factor in the manager here. Jose can't get a tune out of Rashford or Martial and their developement has stalled.

Dembele is potentially more raw and a blanker canvas, and are we really going to believe the manager is going to stump for another player of this profile considering how he has gone with players of category already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

TheDoc wrote: »

He's better then plenty of the wide players picked in that squad and while players tend to blame everyone else bar themselves, he's got a pretty good case sighting this manager and environment as a stunt to his development.

Deshamps said himself and Lacazette haven’t showed as much with the team as others selected, he has played something like 70 mins in the qualifiers so it’s not really a shock
    They were good against Germany (in November 2017), but that was only one match. That aside, there were a bit less (good). It is a total analysis regarding what they could have done in certain situations, and in terms of what role they might have had in the squad. I consider Giroud, Griezmann, Fékir and Mbappé as central attackers. Kylian and Antoine can play in other positions. Kylian is more central, that is where he is best.

• Advertisement

There are reports today that Madrid wants Navas to stay but their priority target is Alisson. Hopefully no dragged out Saga looking for DeGea now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,187 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Knew Deschamps decision would somehow be Jose's fault. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The Mirror.

"Manchester United 'set to begin talks with Monaco' over transfer of Djibril Sidibe".

I think if we arent chasing Martins and taking advantage of Sportings Meltdown we are some gobshítes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭BenK

Not having that, he's been generally poor and has looked disinterested and so only has himself to blame.

Did anyone post the tweet this morning about Fellaini back in talks about staying at United?

Did anyone post the tweet this morning about Fellaini back in talks about staying at United?

Nope, didn’t want another meltdown :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

have also seen eleswhere that no only are United not in talks with Sandro... that left back isn't a position we are currently looking at! (Hopefully the person saying it has been informed incorrectly).

Fellaini staying and young at left back? EEEFFFFFFFFFF THAT.

Nope, didn’t want another meltdown :D

Maybe a referendum will be the calmest way to sort it.
    Bangkok votes No. :)

• Advertisement

Very little hype for the Final tomorrow.

Confirmed squad members:

David de Gea, Sergio Romero, Joel Pereira, Matteo Darmian, Antonio Valencia, Eric Bailly, Victor Lindelof, Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, Marcos Rojo, Daley Blind, Luke Shaw, Ashley Young, Ander Herrera, Scott McTominay, Marouane Fellaini, Nemanja Matic, Paul Pogba, Juan Mata, Jesse Lingard, Alexis Sanchez, Romelu Lukaku, Anthony Martial, Marcus Rashford

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Delighted Jones got into the England squad, only fear is he'll pick up a knock if he's out there throwing his body on the line for his country.

I know it shocked many that Smalling didn't go, but Southgate has never hidden his love of Jones as a player. Gave a hint saying he was very much in his plans but last season was calling him one of their best defender. One attribute he highlighted was his aggressiveness in defending, something Southgate said he loves in defenders.

For now our players going to the world cup, confirmed are:

Phil Jones (England)
    Ashley Young (England)
    Jesse Lingard (England)
    Marcus Rashford (England)
    Sergio Romero (Argentina)
    Marcos Rojo (Argentina)
    Victor Lindelof (Sweden)
    Paul Pogba (France)

But more will follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

have also seen eleswhere that no only are United not in talks with Sandro... that left back isn't a position we are currently looking at! (Hopefully the person saying it has been informed incorrectly).

If the LB position isn't one that's being looked at then United already playing for 2nd place.
    Has to be BS.

yabadabado wrote: »
    If the LB position isn't one that's being looked at then United already playing for 2nd place.
    Has to be BS.

I'm hoping so. It should be a priority.

Play fellaini at left back :)

Any links?

• Advertisement

Any links?

Nope, it's not publicly reported spec. Just a fella on another forum that has some footie links at United and Spurs.

I'm hoping his contact is bs'ing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

TheDoc wrote:
    But then this is the market, very few quality RW options out there. Personally I think if we are blowing $$$ on it, just go try get Bale, and everything after that is pretty much in the same bracket of ability/potential/age profile/play style.

True, but considering Mourinho is our manager, I'd rather we just went for Mahrez or Willian. Not stars but suit our team and how we play far better than trying to find a star and fitting him in somewhere. Willian is probably Jose's ideal signing tbh.

Was thinking about it last night and I wouldn't mind if all of

Smalling, Rojo, Blind, Darmian, Shaw, Fellaini and Mata were gone in the summer.

Replace them with a mixture of youth players stepping up and players that actually suit the team and make us better.

Alex Sandro to replace Shaw and start at LB.
    Sime Vrsaljko to replace Darmian and start at RB.
    Alderweireld to replace Smalling and start at CB. With Jones, Bailly and Lindelof fighting for the other spot and TFM taking a backup role.
    Willian to replace Mata and start at RW.
    Fabinho/Neves to replace Fellaini and start in a midfield 3. Frees up Pogba to get more involved going forward then.

I think we'd be much stronger and balanced as a team then rather just signing Bale, Dembele, Savic etc.

Even if we can't get some of them, plenty of alternatives there that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg and would be vast improvements on what we have.

Guys I haven't seen mentioned much but think would be good additions would be

Amavi
    Bertrand
    Wendell
    Pavard
    Skriniar
    Ndidi
    Kondogbia
    Martins

Wouldn't even be against having a look at some out of contract guys like Wilshere, Ki (old but think he'd be a nice backup to Matic), Max Meyer and maybe even Chiellini.

Wow, Max Meyer is out of contract? What's happened there, he's a very tidy midfielder.

Wow, Max Meyer is out of contract? What's happened there, he's a very tidy midfielder.

Hes had a big falling out with the heirarchy afaik. Accused them of bullying him.

Wouldn't be keen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Play fellaini at left back :)

left back on the bench :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

pjohnson wrote: »
    Hes had a big falling out with the heirarchy afaik. Accused them of bullying him.

Wouldn't be keen.

Still not a bad player if got at the right price but he is another attacking midfielder i think we are covered there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

jayo26 wrote:
    Still not a bad player if got at the right price but he is another attacking midfielder i think we are covered there.

He's been playing as a holding midfielder when in the team this year, and was doing very well. Would be similar to a lesser Kroos or Busquets in keeping the ball moving from defence to attack. Arsenal are linked to him as a replacement for Cazorla in that position.

That type of player is what I think we need alongside Matic and to free Pogba up for a more attacking role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭xtal191

Straight and to the point from Lampard, but has elements of truth. Lampard knows the CM position and how to score from it, had a great relationship with Jose which will give him good insight...

Lampard, speaking at a William Hill sponsored Football Writers Association Live event, fears the penny hasn’t dropped for Pogba.

“I don’t know what Pogba is,” said Lampard. “He makes bad decisions but then does fantastic things which must wreck Jose’s head.

Mourinho tried to embarrass him out of it and I worry Pogba did not get it.

“Pogba is naturally more talented than I was, he would run all over me and has better feet, but there’s no point dribbling in your own half.

“All that ‘flick and roll of the studs’, I’m not an advocate of that. A lot of young players see it on YouTube and think it’s amazing but I don’t like it.

“He has delved to that side too much. His numbers are not good enough, he progressed at Juve but there’s another progression he has to do.

“He should be getting 15 goals a season and dominating games, because he has everything.”

Edit: Xtal beat me to it. But sure there are the quotes for anyone who can't see the Twitter link.

Lampards dead right.

[Matteo Pedrosi] Manchester United ready to go on the offense for Alex Sandro, the Brazilian fullback is Mourinho's no.1 priority. PSG, Chelsea and City also interested. United looking to speed up the transfer. Ajax interested in signing Blind, but there isn’t offer yet. Inter and Roma also asked info to Man Utd.

Great points by Lampard there tbf to him.

Also how are City interested in Sandro that'd be 200+ million on fbs in 2 summers if they signed him

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Great points by Lampard there tbf to him.

Also how are City interested in Sandro that'd be 200+ million on fbs in 2 summers if they signed him

City had no fullbacks this time last year as pep was left Clichy,zabaleta and kolorav all way past their best. He got rid of them and had to replace them . He had to buy fullbacks in an inflated market mourinho will be doing the same this year. Utd currently have more fullbacks than city.

City had no fullbacks this time last year as pep was left Clichy,zabaleta and kolorav all way past their best. He got rid of them and had to replace them . He had to buy fullbacks in an inflated market mourinho will be doing the same this year. Utd currently have more fullbacks than city.

I don’t agree with that.. not proper fullbacks anyways

We have Darmian & Shaw.. young is a winger, Valencia is a winger, Blind was bought as a DM, Rojo is a CB, TFM is a natural CB. So who are these fullbacks that United have?

A fb being past there best doesnt count as no fbs, and if your counting our converted wingers as fb I hope your including Delph in citys.

Any which way no matter the market 200+ mill on fbs is fairly astronomical I''d be shocked if anyone comes near that at any other club (Although city havent spent that yet I'm meerly specualting)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I don’t agree with that.. not proper fullbacks anyways

We have Darmian & Shaw.. young is a winger, Valencia is a winger, Blind was bought as a DM, Rojo is a CB, TFM is a natural CB. So who are these fullbacks that United have?

Valencia is surely a fb at this stage. He is as good a rb as there has been in the league the past few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭paulbok

pjohnson wrote: »
    Lampards dead right.

What's he at nowadays?
    Could he be the new #2, who's previously worked with Jose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

paulbok wrote: »
    What's he at nowadays?
    Could he be the new #2, who's previously worked with Jose?

Mainly doing the BT pundit stuff i think, i imagine he's on the way to getting his badges. Would be an excellent number two id wreckon in the ilk of arteta at city, was a quality CM in his day and has a lot of knowledge to pass down.

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Mainly doing the BT pundit stuff i think, i imagine he's on the way to getting his badges. Would be an excellent number two id wreckon in the ilk of arteta at city, was a quality CM in his day and has a lot of knowledge to pass down.

So would scholes.

Would rather him than lampard

So would scholes.

I get he feeling Jose doesn't want the clas of 92 anywhere near the club while he's there, and given how they constantly sought to undermine Van Gaal in a bid to get Giggs the managerial set, I can't say I blame him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Lampard seems like an intelligent guy who thought and thinks about the game also good relationship with mourinho and he's been out of the league long enough he wouldn't be seen as a peer by the players. Think he could be a decent option.

So would scholes.

I probably should of made my post more clear, it was meant as he'd make a great number 2 in any of the top clubs, not specifically united. But it does come across now i read it again it reads united.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Jose does have a point; Neville made the leap from pundit to manager and was an abject failure. I’d have to agree with the sentiment that some of the Class of 92 have a little too much to say for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

FA Cup Final Mash-Up on BT is very well done. On again at 7am so people can record if they have BT at home.

• Advertisement

FA Cup Final Mash-Up on BT is very well done. On again at 7am so people can record if they have BT at home.

I was watching alright, some serious goals in it. I'll be in town watching it 2mrw with lads who are both united and chelsea fans.
    Hoping its a cracker of a game.
    Lingard a certain to score, he loves these games :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement