Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Anyway, now that sh1te is out of the way we can get on to TRANSFER SEASON. LET'S GO WIN IT BOYS!

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

More of the same, wait until the opposition have taken the lead and then start playing. Never should've taken Lingard off he had the right attitude towards the game, Martial has no interest any longer and offered nothing.
    Chelsea's confidence has been on the floor all season, they were there for the taking.
    Fair play to Chelsea, they out Mourinhoed Mourinho.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

It's gonna be a long summer

Need Real to do us a favour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Not going to lie I expected Chelsea to win.

Awful game to watch and sums up our season of just not being good enough really. Not sure if the “Progress” tag still applies when you finish a season with no trophies but sure who cares now.

Roll on the clear out that so many are saying will happen. I personally don’t think it will happen but fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Jose will be under serious pressure next season.

Again it’s not just the defeat, it’s the manner of it.

I’m still astonished we finished second.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Nope and building the team around him given his disinterest would kill us. More trouble than he is worth.

Can see neymar to Madrid, pogba to psg and savic to United.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I wouldn't say it before but he's been a waste of 90mil so far and doesn't look like changing for whatever reason.

He's a player who needs to be indulged and who needs the rest of the team working properly around him.

We don't have that luxury, both because Jose expects every player to put in a shift, and the rest of the team isn't capable of carrying things forward.

Think it was Adox who said that Pogba is the player you buy when everything else is settled and working, and it's true in hindsight. If Pogba went to a PSG or Barca, where the rest of the team around him is a class up and he can saunter round the field, he'd look amazing.

But put him as THE playmaker of the game, THE man you're relying on to be special, and the reality is he can't handle that pressure.

Honest to god, if we offloaded him to PSG, I wouldn't care. We're not strong enough to build round him, and probably won't be so long as we continue to indulge him. Switching to a 3 man mid was meant to "free" him, and he's still be the same old consistantly **** player....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

adox wrote: »

I preferred this when it said 'undead'. Much more accurate.

Jose will be undead serious pressure next season.

This is what I was arguing last week. Its not the results, it's the performances.

I don't see the progression in performances like others seem to. Until we play more effective football it's a toss up on scoring through brute force. And that won't win us the big trophies.

Jose needs to deliver something different next season, and nothing I've seen in the last two years indicates him capable of it.

• Advertisement

Said the other day, he's set the bar high himself now, so either needs to win the league, or second playing a far, FAR more caviler brand of football. Fans will not settle for grinding out a boring second and zero trophies next season.

Anyway, now that sh1te is out of the way we can get on to TRANSFER SEASON. LET'S GO WIN IT BOYS!

You can sign only defenders, who do you sign?

Realistical transfers only.

Fosu Mensah - New CB - New Alderweireld - New LB

Realistically though we ain't gonna sign **** and next season our back 4 will be the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Hococop wrote: »
    Gotta do a city and spend £150 million on defense

I thought our spend was similar over all? No?

Never mind money, get players who want to be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

You're delighted you could trot that out.

Oh yea im delighted we lost. **** off.

Another **** perfotmance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Is Sneijder free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Anyway I'm off to get Chinese and finish these beers if I talk anymore about this I'll only be on an even bigger downer! Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lord TSC wrote: »
    He's a player who needs to be indulged and who needs the rest of the team working properly around him.

We don't have that luxury, both because Jose expects every player to put in a shift, and the rest of the team isn't capable of carrying things forward.

Think it was Adox who said that Pogba is the player you buy when everything else is settled and working, and it's true in hindsight. If Pogba went to a PSG or Barca, where the rest of the team around him is a class up and he can saunter round the field, he'd look amazing.

But put him as THE playmaker of the game, THE man you're relying on to be special, and the reality is he can't handle that pressure.

Honest to god, if we offloaded him to PSG, I wouldn't care. We're not strong enough to build round him, and probably won't be so long as we continue to indulge him. Switching to a 3 man mid was meant to "free" him, and he's still be the same old consistantly **** player....

The switch to a three also hindered Lingard. And as much as people say Sanchez has hindered our attack by affecting Rashford/Martial they were at their best when we had the 4-2-3-1 at the start of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

TallGlass wrote: »

Think someone said they spent 120-130 million more than us

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Said the other day, he's set the bar high himself now, so either needs to win the league, or second playing a far, FAR more caviler brand of football. Fans will not settle for grinding out a boring second and zero trophies next season.

I think the club will stick by Jose, baring a catastrophe. A few limp seconds, thirds and a cup will keep him there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

bangkok wrote: »
    Oh yea im delighted we lost. **** off.

Another **** perfotmance

It just appears your favourite hashtag is all I was noting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Fair enoght. How much does the glue cost in that figure?

• Advertisement

Ha. Jose are you having a laugh? Deserved to win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Rossi IRL wrote:
    Fosu Mensah - New CB - New Alderweireld - New LB

Fosu Mensah is nor a RB imo. He's a CB who can okay there.

To me, it should be

Vrsaljko, Bailly, Alderweireld, Alex Sandro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

This is what I was arguing last week. Its not the results, it's the performances.

I don't see the progression in performances like others seem to. Until we play more effective football it's a toss up on scoring through brute force. And that won't win us the big trophies.

Jose needs to deliver something different next season, and nothing I've seen in the last two years indicates him capable of it.

he doesn't seem to have a plan b for attacking. Plan b looks to be throw on attackers for defenders and keep playing the same style. Pass alot until it gets out wide and then either lump in the ball aimlessly or play it backwards. At times the play is like an over 50's walking football game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

30% was the figure that was frequently brought up as an excuse for why City are almost 20 points ahead of us.

TallGlass wrote: »

Overall since when?

City spent 215m sterling on thier defence this season including the goalkeeper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

It just appears your favourite hashtag is all I was noting.

Id say thats the 2nd time ive used it

titan18 wrote: »
    To me, it should be

Vrsaljko, Bailly, Alderweireld, Alex Sandro.

Your picks are fair good.

Can't really rely on Bailly which is a shame cause I like him..

What about going after De Ligt, I haven't seen much of him but he is rated very highly although he is very young

Conte doesn't wear a wig then..

I’m fascinated by what Arsenal are doing with Arteta. If that turns out to be a master stroke I’ll be equally sick and delighted for them as it would be easy for them to go for Ancellotti or Allegri which is exactly what we would do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Ha. Jose are you having a laugh? Deserved to win?

Yeah, they did. Chelsea were camped out in front of their goal for the second half. United were the better team. We were poor, but still better.

• Advertisement

Conte doesn't wear a wig then..

Was there ever a doubt?

I’d say he has one of those old school hair transplants where they take a huge lump of flesh out of the back of his head. I’d say he has a huge scar at the back. It’s worked well for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭Sand

GSPfan wrote: »
    Roll on the clear out that so many are saying will happen. I personally don’t think it will happen but fingers crossed.

Another clear-out after only two seasons? Is it impossible that Mourinho might craft a functioning attack from the raw material of Pogba, Sanchez, Lukaku and any one of Martial, Rashford or Mata?

We're 19 points behind City. Either we buy 22 new players in the next 2 months or we get more out of what we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Your picks are fair good.

Can't really rely on Bailly which is a shame cause I like him..

What about going after De Ligt, I haven't seen much of him but he is rated very highly although he is very young

City have apparently bid €60 million for him.

As much as I hate them,the one thing they did was build from a position of strength,United let everything go to shit and are building from a low base.
    Having 3 managers since Ferguson who are more worried about the opposition than they should be of us isn't the way forward.

Rossi IRL wrote:

Can't see Mourinho going for him and based off cost, I don't see why go for him over Alderweireld who's proven PL quality. Koulibaby is probably the best player out there but reckon we'd be outbid by Real or Barcelona.

Get a proven guy and then allow Lindelof, Bailly, Fosu Mensah battle for the other spot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

There's more heart in a can of dog food than that whole squad.

Notorious wrote: »
    Yeah, they did. Chelsea were camped out in front of their goal for the second half. United were the better team. We were poor, but still better.

I don’t think we deserved to win. Chelsea got the lead and defended it comfortably for most of the game.

I thought we were a shambles.

Sand wrote:
    Another clear-out after only two seasons? Is it impossible that Mourinho might craft a functioning attack from the raw material of Pogba, Sanchez, Lukaku and any one of Martial, Rashford or Mata?

I think he can with Lukaku definitely, and one of Rashford/Martial. Pogba, Sanchez and Mata are a nope though. Lingard is probably our best after Lukaku tbh which says a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

The switch to a three also hindered Lingard. And as much as people say Sanchez has hindered our attack by affecting Rashford/Martial they were at their best when we had the 4-2-3-1 at the start of the year.
    Completely agree. Jose must have been sure that he could mould Pogba to play in a 2 in midfield, and from the sound of it Pogba wanted to prove he could be an all round midfielder too. It wasn't working so Jose is forced into playing a midfield 3 but it doesn't suit the rest of the team. On current evidence Pogba is not worth building a team around, not even close.

That and I think Jose has installed a poisonous atmosphere in the dressing room, what with telling the players they are going to lose and are not good enough. He's lost it in terms of his man management skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I don’t think we deserved to win. Chelsea got the lead and defended it comfortably for most of the game.

A man who introduced "parking the bus" unable to unlock a team that did it to him today. FFS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Yeah they were totally comfortable, under no real pressure and never really looked like they would slip up.

It was up to United to break them down, not Chelsea to open up and potentially let the game go. They got their goal and defended it well and deserved the victory.

Jones and his inevitable moment of madness cost the match but at this stage we know what we will get with him so can't really be that shocked. He plays well for a bit and then gets injured or makes a huge mistake. It's never going to be any different.

We'll see what the summer brings. Still plenty of work for Jose to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I think that’s too harsh. I think we only started playing in the second half, (typical of United this season) but we got forward and saw a lot of possession.

We didn’t make the most of some good opportunities and we were poor in front of goal. We had too many corners and did very little with them. Crossing was very weak.

I don’t think Chelsea were any better than us. A mate is a Chelsea fan and he’s convinced they’ll put up a good challenge against City. I see no evidence of that today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I think he can with Lukaku definitely, and one of Rashford/Martial. Pogba, Sanchez and Mata are a nope though. Lingard is probably our best after Lukaku tbh which says a lot.

Mourinho signed Pogba and Sanchez and Lukaku. If only one of those three marquee signings are a success, its not a good sign that Mourinho should be given further funds to spend on players he cant get good performance from and/or falls out with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Wenger is available.

He knows the United way

Anyone hoping for Jose to change what he does is insane. Best bet is to go all in on his type of football and hope it’s the perfect solution for an ever increasing focus on attacking pressing football. It’ll be horrible to watch but successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Notorious wrote: »
    I think that’s too harsh. I think we only started playing in the second half, (typical of United this season) but we got forward and saw a lot of possession.

We didn’t make the most of some good opportunities and we were poor in front of goal. We had too many corners and did very little with them. Crossing was very weak.

I don’t think Chelsea were any better than us. A mate is a Chelsea fan and he’s convinced they’ll put up a good challenge against City. I see no evidence of that today.

Very little between todays performance(and a lot of other recent ones) and the lvg teams. Lots of possession but hesitant, safe and toothless passing, no creativity, no speed

• Advertisement

Very little between todays performance(and a lot of other recent ones) and the lvg teams. Lots of possession but hesitant, safe and toothless passing, no creativity, no speed

I have to believe that the common point there is our full backs, and that if we can move better players in there, you'll see a massive improvement.

Valencia offers NOTHING on the right, and as much as Young busts his gut, his crosses weren't great today. Especially when a team parks the bus like Chelsea did today, you need more out wide that we actually have.

Sand wrote:
    Mourinho signed Pogba and Sanchez and Lukaku. If only one of those three marquee signings are a success, its not a good sign that Mourinho should be given further funds to spend on players he cant get good performance from and/or falls out with.

I'd agree. Mourinho takes a lot of blame there. You'd probably be better off allowing redcafe vote on signings than what we're getting atm

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

United huffed and puffed in the second half but ultimately got nowhere. Pogba did nothing; Sanchez was poor; Rashford is still only a kid; Lingard was average; Matic was decent; Herrera was average. It was all very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭BenK

Why are those the choices though? We're not exactly lacking in resources that those are what we should be hoping for or content with. We can outspend any team in the world and are in the top 2 biggest clubs in the world. You wouldn't think that based on how we play though

I only meant it in the context of the match today, Chelsea finished outside top 4 and won the FA cup and United won nothing but finished 2nd. Who had the better season? It's depressing that finishing in the top 4 is seen as the better season generally.

I agree with you that United should be at the very least competing for the top prizes but are nowhere near at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Sand wrote: »

He signed Bailly and Lindelof too. Neither of them started today and Lindelof didn't even make the bench.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement