Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Reports that Griezmann has turned down Barca now.

Playing a blinder with his contract negotiations.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Like I said, people don't even understand the compliment they are paying Poch that they use not winning trophies.....for Spurs....as a stick to beat him with.

Spurs through good transfers, planning and or luck have what most/some people believe is a more talented team/squad then Uniteds, so Poch not winning any thing especially in times when, city, united, arsenal all at times havent been at thier best (im talking over the course of 3 seasons) so no it isnt a compliment he hasnt won anything if you look at it logically

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭rob316

bangkok wrote: »
    so you blame woodward??!

also what you said about pogba isnt true. if he was signed a season later he would have cost potentially another 50m more

Lad I don't post in here much but everytime I do your on here defending Pogba. He's an absolute fraud steal a living just admit it that you were wrong. United were the only ones stupid enough to pay that for him and Juventus were only happy to sell. Pogba worth 140m? Your dreaming

And on Woodward, Liverpool took their managing director out of the recruitment process and it has vastly improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Cotts72

part of me still hopes United have some kind of unofficial agreement with him from last year,cracking player

GSPfan wrote: »
    Playing a blinder with his contract negotiations.

On a scale of one to Hazard, I'd give him a Pogba.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

You have to temper it with the term "if he stays fit", but if Bale stays fit he is the best player we could relaistically buy in the world right now. Instant impact, and I would have no concerns about him fitting the system or whatever, he would hit the ground running such is his quality.

All that being said, he is a sick note. You'd be hoping he does a Van Persie and have a couple of injury free years. Every other player I see suggested is risky in that they are still establishing themselves in the footballing world and I feel like we have had an awful record over the last few years.

The same could have been said of Sanchez, and he's been sh*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

rob316 wrote: »
    Lad I don't post in here much but everytime I do your on here defending Pogba. He's an absolute fraud steal a living just admit it that you were wrong. United were the only ones stupid enough to pay that for him and Juventus were only happy to sell. Pogba worth 140m? Your dreaming

he is no where near as bad as you are making out.

7 goals and 11 assists this season isnt bad for a player who is "an absolute fraud steal a living" playing in midfield for man utd and winning Europa league player of the year last year

also what has liverpool got to do with the job woodward is doing? he is delivering on players for jose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

And on Woodward, Liverpool took their managing director out of the recruitment process and it has vastly improved.

giphy_1.gifimage ru

The same could have been said of Sanchez, and he's been sh*t.

He's been mostly disappointing, true. I can't fault his effort or attitude though, there's hope.

At the time he was signed in January, before a ball was kicked for United, a few of us in here said that he was a great 'head-start' signing on the Summer and next season.

Now, none of us would have expected him to be just so underwhelming and I don't excuse some terrible performances, but next season is when I'll honestly be judging him.

It will be interesting to see his performances when he is part of a United team who are fighting for the league, not one who were well out of it by the time he signed.

We were lucky in a way with Sanchez, we/the team/Jose had those few months to give him to make those mistakes and bed in. Next season is a different story, we'll need not only him to hit the ground running, but any Summer signings too.

In relation to that - Alderweireld has apparently wanted out for months now at Spurs, it would have been great to get him in January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭rob316

he is no where near as bad as you are making out.

7 goals and 11 assists this season isnt bad for a player who is "an absolute fraud steal a living" playing in midfield for man utd and winning Europa league player of the year last year

also what has liverpool got to do with the job woodward is doing? he is delivering on players for jose

He's the midfield balotelli, buckets of talent but just lazy and turns up when he feels like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,601 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Griezmann on the right *drools*

He's been mostly disappointing, true. I can't fault his effort or attitude though, there's hope.

At the time he was signed in January, before a ball was kicked for United, a few of us in here said that he was a great 'head-start' signing on the Summer and next season.

Now, none of us would have expected him to be just so underwhelming and I don't excuse some terrible performances, but next season is when I'll honestly be judging him.

It will be interesting to see his performances when he is part of a United team who are fighting for the league, not one who were well out of it by the time he signed.

We were lucky in a way with Sanchez, we/the team/Jose had those few months to give him to make those mistakes and bed in. Next season is a different story, we'll need not only him to hit the ground running, but any Summer signings too.

In relation to that - Alderweireld has apparently wanted out for months now at Spurs, it would have been great to get him in January.

Sign him now at whatever cost,monster of a CB and instantly improves us

In fairness, The reports earlier were that Messi had called him and “invited him to join Barca” then there were reports that Messi gave an interview welcoming him basically. So doubt he is going anywhere else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

+1 for a proven trusted centre back. And if we have to break the bank so be it.

We need a CB who can slot straight into this side and make immediate improvement.

Many of us scoffed at the price Liverpool paid for Van Dijk.

I'd rather have 70 million worth of one CB starting most games and significantly improving the defence - than 60 million of CB signings on the bench that rarely contribute.

The longshot approach on Lindelof and Bailly sadly didnt work.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

What exactly has happened with Bailly? He was our first choice centre-half; then he got injured and since then he’s always on the bench. Bailly plus Alderweireld would be a superb pairing.

• Advertisement

Zeek12 wrote: »
    +1 for a proven trusted centre back. And if we have to break the bank so be it.

We need a CB who can slot straight into this side and make immediate improvement.

Many of us scoffed at the price Liverpool paid for Van Dijk.

I'd rather have 70 million worth of one CB starting most games and significantly improving the defence - than 60 million of CB signings on the bench that rarely contribute.

The longshot approach on Lindelof and Bailly sadly didnt work.

agree 100% and I think a player like him would work wonders for Bailly. its a similar setup to the rio and vidic dynamic,one is comfortable on the ball with good awareness while the other is tough and gets stuck in. decent pace for CB's also.

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Sign him now at whatever cost,monster of a CB and instantly improves us

As I said an another post there - I'd be worried that signing Willian would push Martial/Rashford closer to the exit door, but we do need that proven talent in the position if next season is Jose's 'make or break' season.

However, with the back-line, I have no such worry. The sooner the likes of Alderweireld arrives and pushes out some of that deadwood, the better.

I know it's all only rumours and potentially bullshít, but I'd be hoping and expecting Willian and Alderweireld to be done and dusted in the next 2 weeks.

Alderweireld has been unsettled and destined for the exit door for months by now.

Willian left Wembley asap on Saturday once the FA Cup was presented (Full Time Devils recorded this by accident when they were doing their own video outside Wembley). Plus, Willian has since posted a picture of the team and staff celebrating on his Instagram, but with Conte blanked out by trophy emojis.

Two unsettled, talented, PL proven players.

Get them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

What exactly has happened with Bailly? He was our first choice centre-half; then he got injured and since then he’s always on the bench. Bailly plus Alderweireld would be a superb pairing.

I think either its a case of Jose didn't want any response to his injury and seeing was end of the season he gave him a break.

Or it could be a case he might see him as a bit wreck less to quick to dive into things and needs to mature as a player.

It wouldn't surprise me at all though to see him as one the first names on the team sheet come pre season.

He's the midfield balotelli, buckets of talent but just lazy and turns up when he feels like it.

I’ve been a huge critic of Pogba this season but the only thing lazy here is your analysis of the player. I do think you are only looking for a nibble so I’ll leave it as that and move on.

That has the making of a Rio/Vidic.. Bailly the crazy fecker and Alderweirald the ball player

• Advertisement

I love Bailey and Rojo but they have fallen out of favour. Much like many others.

astradave wrote: »

That has the making of a Rio/Vidic.. Bailly the crazy fecker and Alderweirald the ball player

Coleman Bailly Alderweirald Shaw

Coleman Bailly Alderweirald Shaw

Sidibe Bailly Alderweirald Sandro

The time for Coleman has passed. Also it’s never going to work out for Shaw. He’ll end up out on loan I’d bet with an option to buy. Everton might be an option. Wouldn’t have to move home.

We need to just get 2 all action full backs from somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

As I said an another post there - I'd be worried that signing Willian would push Martial/Rashford closer to the exit door, but we do need that proven talent in the position if next season is Jose's 'make or break' season.

However, with the back-line, I have no such worry. The sooner the likes of Alderweireld arrives and pushes out some of that deadwood, the better.

I know it's all only rumours and potentially bullshít, but I'd be hoping and expecting Willian and Alderweireld to be done and dusted in the next 2 weeks.

Alderweireld has been unsettled and destined for the exit door for months by now.

Willian left Wembley asap on Saturday once the FA Cup was presented (Full Time Devils recorded this by accident when they were doing their own video outside Wembley). Plus, Willian has since posted a picture of the team and staff celebrating on his Instagram, but with Conte blanked out by trophy emojis.

Two unsettled, talented, PL proven players.

Get them.

Not sure if this is the best strategy. We've signed a few players in recent years because they happened to be available more so than because they were the right fit for the team. Whilst it may be too early to write off Sanchez, he has been disappointing so far. Di Maria was a disaster, Schweinsteiger very disappointing also. Could even argue Mata was one of those type signings as well. Moyes definitely needed a statement signing and the whole club needed a boost at the time. He ticked those boxes. He has been a good player for us, but he's never been a key player which we were able to build a team around.

We need to identify and sign players that are the right fit for whatever way Mourinho wants to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Pretty ****ing ****ty what Willian did with that photo.

He always came across as a decent and humble guy in any interviews I saw with him but this is just ****ing childish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

If Seamus Coleman wasn’t Irish, I bet he’d never be mentioned as a potential United signing. We need to be aiming much higher.

looking like Emery will be the new Arsenal manager

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

looking like Emery will be the new Arsenal manager

And this is relevant to Manchester United how exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lithium93_ wrote: »

I assume hes better than Jose.

• Advertisement

a rival for next season perhaps?

a rival for next season perhaps?

I doubt it, not even Emery & Mourinho would be able to revive that dying rivalry.

I doubt it, not even Emery & Mourinho would be able to revive that dying rivalry.

considering we have only finished ahead on them once in the past 5 seasons and they have a new manager on board who is very good, they will be a big threat to us next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Something odd there alright.

If he's fully fit - and we have to assume he was, because Lindelof and Rojo were other sub options but were'nt even on the bench - then surely he has to start the Cup final?

Did anyone really feel secure playing Jones and Smalling together?

considering we have only finished ahead on them once in the past 5 seasons and they have a new manager on board who is very good, they will be a big threat to us next season

Arsenal haven't been a threat to United in years & vice versa. I highly doubt a new manager is going to change that.

Now if you happen to be right, I'll tip my hat and say "Okay, you were right".

Until then, I'm sticking with what I've said until it's been proven otherwise.

They need a new GK, whole back line and new bodies in midfield, and that’s just the first 11,. monchi did his recruiting for him at Sevilla so will be interesting to see who Sven brings in for him.

So league positions are relevant again I see Yeah?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Duncan Castles is reporting that McKenna has been promoted up to the main backroom team, and that Rui Faria will be replaced by three people; Carrick, McKenna and Sampadoria's Stefano Rapetti, who served as a coach for Jose when Jose won the treble with Inter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Anyone know if the bookies had us priced as 3rd favourites to win the PL before the weekend?

• Advertisement

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Anyone know if the bookies had us priced as 3rd favourites to with the PL before the weekend?

I had a quick look on oddschecker and there doesn't appear to have been any major line movements saturday or sunday.

So we were 3rd before and 3rd after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I tell why I would not mind Coleman.

Because he a good leader. He was huge loss for Ireland in WC campaign.

He is good enough for United. Gary Neville was not exactly World Class but he was more then just a player.

United are crying out for a Coleman type player in the team.

Didn't see this posted earlier about Fellaini. I thought he was deemed fit in the build-up to the final. ManUtd.com reported last Friday that Lukaku and Martial were the only injury concerns for the final, and that Fellaini had "traveled South with the squad".

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/998517737956798464

Simon Stone: Fellaini has missed training sessions during the week in addition to missing the last three games.

I tell why I would not mind Coleman.

Because he a good leader. He was huge loss for Ireland in WC campaign.

He is good enough for United. Gary Neville was not exactly World Class but he was more then just a player.

United are crying out for a Coleman type player in the team.

Coleman before his injury id be all for but he looked very sluggish after coming back after his injury. Yes I know he was out for a while and all that but we don't need another player that needs to be treated right to get him back in form.

Not sure if this is the best strategy. We've signed a few players in recent years because they happened to be available more so than because they were the right fit for the team. Whilst it may be too early to write off Sanchez, he has been disappointing so far. Di Maria was a disaster, Schweinsteiger very disappointing also. Could even argue Mata was one of those type signings as well. Moyes definitely needed a statement signing and the whole club needed a boost at the time. He ticked those boxes. He has been a good player for us, but he's never been a key player which we were able to build a team around.

We need to identify and sign players that are the right fit for whatever way Mourinho wants to play.

I didn't state it but it should have been implied, I seek those 2 players because they are for positions in the first team where we are crying out for proven quality. Add that to what I've already said about them knowing the league, about Willian having a previous relationship with Jose, I think they could work.

Di Maria and Schweinsteiger didn't come from PL teams and were new to the PL, so are nothing like what I'm talking about with Willian and Alderweireld. Also, they were arguably bigger names in world football at the time than W+A, possibly a marquee/galactico signing element to those names, especially Di Maria. It would be nothing like that with W+A imo.

Mata is a better example, I'd agree that he wasn't a necessary signing at the time. That was more of a statement by the struggling Moyes and Woodward, than a purchase for something the football or the team required.

jayo26 wrote: »
    So league positions are relevant again I see Yeah?

You need to follow the discussion we were having. I was talking about a direct rival with op

• Advertisement

Seamus Coleman made the PFA Team of the Year in 2014 and is dynamic going forward. Very few people would have picked out Kyle Walker as having the potential to star for Pep’s City. I think it’s a mistake to dismiss him out of hand versus someone who’s unproven in the Premier League.

You need to follow the discussion we were having. I was talking about a direct rival with op

I was following it where you used league position to make a point you should follow what your saying ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Seamus Coleman made the PFA Team of the Year in 2014 and is dynamic going forward. Very few people would have picked out Kyle Walker as having the potential to star for Pep’s City. I think it’s a mistake to dismiss him out of hand versus someone who’s unproven in the Premier League.

4 years ago. Meh.

Valencia was players player of the year for us last season.

Coleman will be 30 shortly after the season starts. He'd not be a terrible signing but I think we should be looking for younger and better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Don't mind people not wanting Coleman and see the points.

But what team is crying out for is few leaders.

And when I say crying I mean it's the most important thing we need more then anything.

I don't give **** who we sign but we need guys who are going be strong and show presence on the pitch.

We can make these big signings all we like but won't matter have just like last 4 seasons.

Don't mind people not wanting Coleman and see the points.

But what team is crying out for is few leaders.

And when I say crying I mean it's the most important thing we need more then anything.

I don't give **** who we sign but we need guys who are going be strong and show presence on the pitch.

We can make these big signings all we like but won't matter have just like last 4 seasons.

I agree we do need leaders but we need players of quality and leaders k just don't think Coleman of now has the same quality he did 3 year ago.

The leader thing is going to be so hard to fix arsenal have been trying to fix it for over 10 years.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement