Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

jayo26 wrote: »
    I agree we do need leaders but we need players of quality and leaders k just don't think Coleman of now has the same quality he did 3 year ago.

The leader thing is going to be so hard to fix arsenal have been trying to fix it for over 10 years.

It will be hard. Easier said then done.

I just think the club needs to really look at its Transfer Policy..

We can make these 3 or 4 dream signings but unless we have steel and vocal presence we just be on same downward curve we been for past few years(bar 16/17 season)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Don't mind people not wanting Coleman and see the points.

But what team is crying out for is few leaders.

And when I say crying I mean it's the most important thing we need more then anything.

It really is the most important issue that needs addressed, anything else is just a waste of time.

To illustrate here is a thought, outside of De Gea, in four years and three managers how many players have put in the effort and performance to the point that they made themselves undroppable?

I don't mean played lots of games, we have to field a team so lots of players will get lots of games, when there are no alternatives even poor players will play but how many stepped up the plate and absolutely nailed down their place in the team?

De Gea and Lukaku? Zlatan when he was there? Matic? Outside of that I can't think of a single player who played themselves into a situation where they were an unqualified first choice, and over 4 years and 3 managers thats a serious indictment of the players at that club. No matter how bad the management there still should be players showing something of their inner drive and character.

Just one of many indications of where the real problems are at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Talisman

He's been mostly disappointing, true. I can't fault his effort or attitude though, there's hope.

At the time he was signed in January, before a ball was kicked for United, a few of us in here said that he was a great 'head-start' signing on the Summer and next season.

Now, none of us would have expected him to be just so underwhelming and I don't excuse some terrible performances, but next season is when I'll honestly be judging him.

It will be interesting to see his performances when he is part of a United team who are fighting for the league, not one who were well out of it by the time he signed.

We were lucky in a way with Sanchez, we/the team/Jose had those few months to give him to make those mistakes and bed in. Next season is a different story, we'll need not only him to hit the ground running, but any Summer signings too.
    I don't understand the reasoning on it being okay for Sanchez to have been so average. At 29, he is still at his physical peak and it is his fourth season in the league - it's not like he is new to the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Surely there is an exciting right or left back in the Dutch, French, or Portugese league? Anyone know of any contenders for a full back slot?

Don’t rule out Fabinho actually. Think it was said he wanted to play there again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

GSPfan wrote: »
    Surely there is an exciting right or left back in the Dutch, French, or Portugese league? Anyone know of any contenders for a full back slot?

Don’t rule out Fabinho actually. Think it was said he wanted to play there again.

Plenty of them but we only looking from the outside at them. Sidibe in the french league is quality and has been linked as has vrsalijko in spanish league but do they have the mentality to step up...

jayo26 wrote: »
    Plenty of them but we only looking from the outside at them. Sidibe in the french league is quality and has been linked as has vrsalijko in spanish league but do they have the mentality to step up...

I’ve done the Youtube test and I’ve decided we are buying Sidibe. It’s so bizarre because I was watching him thinking he looks strong and grounded like Valencia but then he flung himself in the air a couple of times like Young.

GSPfan wrote: »

There are plenty of decent full backs around Europe, but the likes of Sandro will require massive fees: "buying full-backs for the price of strikers".

Left:
    Alex Sandro (Juventus)
    Philipp Max (Augsburg)

Right:
    Djibril Sidibe (Monaco)
    Sime Vrsaljko (Atletico)
    Ricardo Pereira (Porto)
    Adam Marusic (Lazio)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Felipe Anderson (Lazio) as a right back? That has to be a mistake?

Talisman wrote: »
    I don't understand the reasoning on it being okay for Sanchez to have been so average. At 29, he is still at his physical peak and it is his fourth season in the league - it's not like he is new to the Premier League.

I never said that it was ok for him to be so average, and if you got that it was not my intention.

No, I'm not happy at all at how underwhelming he's been. He has been given every chance by the manager, plus it's reported (think Sanchez even said it himself) that Jose gives him the freedom to roam in that final third. So it's not as if he is trying to improve while under severe restrictions from the manager.

I give him the consolation that he came into the club/team mid-season, to a team which has a widely different play-style to where he was coming from, to a team which is struggling to get all attackers (except one, Lukaku) firing both individually, and as a unit.

I'm actually a bit worried about him. In saying that 'At least Sanchez had those months to settle in', I make it sound as if he'll be a perfect player from next August onward. Nope, no guarantees there at all, he could continue on next season in similar underwhelming fashion to this season. He had this to say recently near the end of April...
    Alexis wrote:
    "I think that in every game I've played in up to now, I've maybe found it hard to adapt to the style of play and I've been getting to know my teammates,"

Right, he will get to know his teammates better in time, but the part about finding it hard to adapt to the style of play concerns me. The style isn't going to be changing with Jose, not after 2 seasons, so Alexis will need to try harder.

As well as that, outside of his control, we finished the season still struggling to get our attackers going individually and as a unit. If we start next season where we left off, I wouldn't be expecting miracles from Sanchez. Cause that is what it will take for him to excel in such a poor attack.

He also hinted that the squad need more talent saying he was surrounded by great players everywhere at barcelina and that the team need to be more concentrated in the smaller games ie some people lose focus in them games

• Advertisement

I'm actually quite wary about our attack as it is now going into next season. Take Lukaku out, and we appear to be in trouble.

In our last 4 games of the season while Lukaku was out for all but 20 minutes of the final, the team managed to score just 1 goal. 360 minutes of football which featured games against Brighton, West Ham, Watford and an FA cup final, we scored one goal. The goal was a tap in by Rashford after a short pass from Mata, but the whole thing was sparked by an excellent ball from the retiring 36 year old Michael Carrick in his final professional match.

Looking back at who else has been chipping in with goals apart from Lukaku in the closing stages of the season, there have been goal(s) from Pogba, Herrera, Matic, Fellaini, Smalling, Lingard, Sanchez, and Rashford.

Chris Smalling has 3 goals since the start of March, two of them important goals in 2-3 comeback victories against Palace and City. His other goal wasn't exactly a dud either, he got the first in the 0-2 at Bournemouth. Chris fúcking Smalling is outscoring Mata, Martial, Lingard and is on par with Sanchez and Rashford over the business end of the season.

Go back a month before March, include February, and it doesn't get much better for our attackers - Lukaku scored 4 of 6 goals in our 5 February games. Lingard and Sanchez got the other 2. That was the month we failed to score against Newcastle and in the CL last 16 first leg against Sevilla. So Lukaku was carrying us in February, and Chris Smalling is still outscoring too many of our attackers over the closing stages of the season when you take in another month.

Sure let's have a look at the exact numbers. Here's our goalscorers in all competitions from February onward...

Lukaku 9
    Sanchez 3
    Rashford 3
    Pogba 3
    Smalling 3
    Matic 2
    Fellaini 1
    Lingard 1
    Herrera 1

26 goals in 19 games from February to the end of season.

The team failed to score at all in 6 of those 19 games (32%).

10 of those 26 goals (38%) came from defenders and CMs.

9 of those 26 goals (35%) came from Lukaku.

7 of those 26 goals (27%) came from attackers who aren't Lukaku.

I know it generally doesn't matter who is scoring once there's goals going in, but I think our attack is in trouble and the above figures are nowhere near good enough. Jose said in January after signing Sanchez that there would be no more attackers signed this Summer. That was before all of the above unfolded.

Already we are heavily linked Willian, I wouldn't be surprised if Willian wasn't the only attacker to come in. More specifically, we need an option for when Lukaku is out or needs a rest. A player similar to Lukaku. I think Jose was strongly hinting at that in his words after the FA Cup final about 'Without Lukaku, I have nothing, no presence'. I wonder if that was a message to Woodward more than the regular audience.

Anyway, something's got to change with our attack between now and August. All those attackers (bar Sanchez obviously, and Mata who has had a poor season throughout) were contributing a lot more in the first half of the season, and then in the new year their figures dropped off a cliff.

I'm not sure if it's the area where we need to make the most purchases in, but our attack is definitely the area which needs most improving/reviving for the new season imo.

Felipe Anderson (Lazio) as a right back? That has to be a mistake?
    Yeah - I knew the name was too exotic to be Serbian/Montenegran. Adam Marusic is who I was thinking of but my underling reliably informed me that the right winger/wing back at Lazio was Felipe Anderson. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Already we are heavily linked Willian, I wouldn't be surprised if Willian wasn't the only attacker to come in.

Great player but he's gonna be 30 by the time the season kicks off, we need to be looking at mid 20's at most, start building a team, we can do without quick fixes and players who only have a year or 2 left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,601 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

scudzilla wrote: »
    Great player but he's gonna be 30 by the time the season kicks off, we need to be looking at mid 20's at most, start building a team, we can do without quick fixes and players who only have a year or 2 left

No we don’t we need a short term fix on the RW as we have Chong coming up thru the youths, 2/3 years out of Willian would be perfect

I do struggle with that choice myself, but essentially it boils down to 'we need quality now', especially if next season is Jose's 'make or break' season at the club.

You might have missed it, but I posted my thoughts yesterday on not only Willian, but the kind of signing we should primarily go for this Summer...
    Many seem to be in agreement that next season could be 'make or break' for Jose at the club. With that in mind, the first-team signings he makes this Summer will need to hit the ground running upon their arrival at United. More like Lukaku, Ibra, Matic. Less like Mkhi, Lindelof or even Pogba.

If some are talking about a first team 'overhaul' in the Summer, like 4/5+ players, then you need to be realistic about the adaption period. New players, especially from foreign leagues, many of them could need time to adapt to the team, style and league. Next season is looking like 'make or break' for Jose? Last thing he or the team needs is a whole host of new first team players taking 4/5 months to a full season to adapt. Again, we need the likes of a Lukaku, not a Mkhitaryan.

This coming window, I'd prefer that Jose signs players who he "loves" and "trusts" or are PL proven, rather than players who need to be developed and/or win his full graces. Or young players who will only be useful to the club in the medium to long term future.

Take Willian for example. Of course if United sign Willian, after Sanchez, I would worry that it would further push our developing young attackers towards the exit door. Also, like Sanchez and Matic, Willian is around the 30 mark and therefore only useful to the club in the shorter term.

However, I can't have my cake and eat it too. Above all, I want this manager to win a PL or CL with United soon. Signing a PL proven, in-form player in a position our team requires is the best way to achieve this. The player having a previous, good working relationship with the manager is also a help.

Jose seems to do well with players he "trusts", "loves" or are PL proven - Ibra, Matic, Lukaku for example. I think we need signings of that caliber made this Summer, so therefore Willian and Alderweireld would suit quite well.

They are two to start with anyway imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Sorry if discussed but talks of the Under-18s coach Kieran McKenna being promoted to José's backroom staff.

I know we discussed the Fermanagh man and the work he was doing last year and if the reports are true it's a massive move for him. Still only in his early 30s too, the man formerly in charge of Spurs youth team finds himself moving up into the senior fold after only two years here. What may not come as a surprise is apparently McKenna's preferred formation (or most commonly used) is 4-2-3-1.

McKenna is said to be joining Carrick and Sampdoria's Stefano Rapetti as part of the new members of Mourinho's backroom staff. A lot of shuffling going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Sorry if discussed but talks of the Under-18s coach Kieran McKenna being promoted to José's backroom staff.

I know we discussed the Fermanagh man and the work he was doing last year and if the reports are true it's a massive move for him. Still only in his early 30s too, the man formerly in charge of Spurs youth team finds himself moving up into the senior fold after only two years here. What may not come as a surprise is apparently McKenna's preferred formation (or most commonly used) is 4-2-3-1.

McKenna is said to be joining Carrick and Sampdoria's Stefano Rapetti as part of the new members of Mourinho's backroom staff. A lot of shuffling going on.

You zerked it real good ;)

Agh its good to see that Jose is trying to give someone younger an opportunity to step into the assistant manager shoes. Heard a whole pile of BS over the weekend about it from Lawrenson and the other Liverpool pundits giving in the whole Jose wants yes men etc.... christ if Klopp had promoted stevie g to replace his departed assistant they'd all be creaming themselves with the excitement

astradave wrote: »
    No we don’t we need a short term fix on the RW as we have Chong coming up thru the youths, 2/3 years out of Willian would be perfect

How many youths over the years have we had coming up through the ranks and actually made it into world class players, which is what Willian is (albeit a touch old), can't put all of our eggs in the chong basket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Willian would do in the short term.

Chelsea don't mind selling and I doubt he'd go for much more than £30m.

Central midfield, a centre half and full back are our major problem areas.

Can't see us getting in 5 players in the summer though.

A starting CH, CM and a winger that can actually fcuking wing would be a good window. Add in a right or left full and id say a great window.

Jose seems to have a horn for Val though so I dunno how likely he is to be displaced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

How many youths over the years have we had coming up through the ranks and actually made it into world class players, which is what Willian is (albeit a touch old), can't put all of our eggs in the chong basket

Willian world class? Ah here

Was chatting to my dad last night and talk went to the CL final, said i hoped that Real batter the shite out of them, he told me i had a short memory.

Until the age of 11 i supported 'them', used to get taken to 2 games a season from the age of 8, got kits at christmas (my dad still has one of the bastard pics :mad::mad:) and was really press ganged into supporting them, have no idea why as my dad supports Newcastle.

Then my coming of age happened, 11yrs old, 1982 and i was taken to Old Trafford for a game for some reason (Uncle i think), was home vs Coventry and we won 3-0, the second i walked into OT i felt at home, seeing the Stretford End in full flow, i left a changed man.

Went home, actually threw my 'them' kit in the bin and never looked back.

United at the time were winning nothing, the odd cup run.

Shudder to think what could have been if my uncle hadn't have took me

Firstly, Willian isn’t a world class player, nor has he ever been one, he’s exactly what we need though. A stable right footed RW, to keep the width. Even if Chong doesn’t develop with Willian there it gives us a chance to properly scout a younger player.

i'd settle for a decent CM who wasn't world class but was a full on leader on the pitch, one who'd take the lazy players out and scream dogs abuse at them, unfortunately can't think of anyone, the games changed too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I'm actually quite wary about our attack as it is now going into next season. Take Lukaku out, and we appear to be in trouble.

In our last 4 games of the season while Lukaku was out for all but 20 minutes of the final, the team managed to score just 1 goal. 360 minutes of football which featured games against Brighton, West Ham, Watford and an FA cup final, we scored one goal. The goal was a tap in by Rashford after a short pass from Mata, but the whole thing was sparked by an excellent ball from the retiring 36 year old Michael Carrick in his final professional match.

Looking back at who else has been chipping in with goals apart from Lukaku in the closing stages of the season, there have been goal(s) from Pogba, Herrera, Matic, Fellaini, Smalling, Lingard, Sanchez, and Rashford.

Chris Smalling has 3 goals since the start of March, two of them important goals in 2-3 comeback victories against Palace and City. His other goal wasn't exactly a dud either, he got the first in the 0-2 at Bournemouth. Chris fúcking Smalling is outscoring Mata, Martial, Lingard and is on par with Sanchez and Rashford over the business end of the season.

Go back a month before March, include February, and it doesn't get much better for our attackers - Lukaku scored 4 of 6 goals in our 5 February games. Lingard and Sanchez got the other 2. That was the month we failed to score against Newcastle and in the CL last 16 first leg against Sevilla. So Lukaku was carrying us in February, and Chris Smalling is still outscoring too many of our attackers over the closing stages of the season when you take in another month.

Sure let's have a look at the exact numbers. Here's our goalscorers in all competitions from February onward...

Lukaku 9
    Sanchez 3
    Rashford 3
    Pogba 3
    Smalling 3
    Matic 2
    Fellaini 1
    Lingard 1
    Herrera 1

26 goals in 19 games from February to the end of season.

The team failed to score at all in 6 of those 19 games (32%).

10 of those 26 goals (38%) came from defenders and CMs.

9 of those 26 goals (35%) came from Lukaku.

7 of those 26 goals (27%) came from attackers who aren't Lukaku.

I know it generally doesn't matter who is scoring once there's goals going in, but I think our attack is in trouble and the above figures are nowhere near good enough. Jose said in January after signing Sanchez that there would be no more attackers signed this Summer. That was before all of the above unfolded.

Already we are heavily linked Willian, I wouldn't be surprised if Willian wasn't the only attacker to come in. More specifically, we need an option for when Lukaku is out or needs a rest. A player similar to Lukaku. I think Jose was strongly hinting at that in his words after the FA Cup final about 'Without Lukaku, I have nothing, no presence'. I wonder if that was a message to Woodward more than the regular audience.

Anyway, something's got to change with our attack between now and August. All those attackers (bar Sanchez obviously, and Mata who has had a poor season throughout) were contributing a lot more in the first half of the season, and then in the new year their figures dropped off a cliff.

I'm not sure if it's the area where we need to make the most purchases in, but our attack is definitely the area which needs most improving/reviving for the new season imo.

When I read stuff like this I wonder how the team will do if Jose irons out these issues when he led us to 2nd with all this crap and the other issues people complain about.

Is it the case that we think the following will be the formation:

Lukaku
    Sanchez -- Pogba --- RW
    --Matic---- CM
    LWB - CB - CB - LWB

That would mean a RW and CM are priorities cause our defence, while not perfect, has been fairly good this season. The next priority is a full back and central defender.

But the issue still exists in that we have no replacement to Lukaku. Rashford or Martial don't look like good options right now so if we lose Lukaku we are in trouble.

In terms of people wanting Griezman, where does he fit into that team ? I am not saying he isn't quality, but it sort of feels like you are buying a top quality player cause you can as opposed to buying one that helps the club get another piece of the jigsaw. And who would lose out ? Pogba ? Sanchez?

I would personally prefer 4 quality players in positions we are lacking then Griezman because I think you spend big on him you lose in other areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

May be a bolt from the past but Kevin Strootman... any interest?? Or has the ship sailed

Captain of Holland at a young age, Van Gaal wanted him when he was taking over but he got a horrible injury and is only back close to where he was now??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

brinty wrote: »
    May be a bolt from the past but Kevin Strootman... any interest?? Or has the ship sailed

Captain of Holland at a young age, Van Gaal wanted him when he was taking over but he got a horrible injury and is only back close to where he was now??

Played a lot more the last two seasons but it's hard to know really if our interest has completely cooled at this point or not.

I hear he has a €45million buy-out clause on the contract. Probably will get interest from other clubs too. If we were to move for him I would think Herrera's time could be coming to an end.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Can i ask how you all rate Martial? It's may well just be paper trash talk, but it seems like Spurs are heavily linked with him, and i haven't seen much of him this season (bar that goal against us).

If it does happens, i'd expect Toby will be going your way.

Kiith wrote: »
    Can i ask how you all rate Martial? It's may well just be paper trash talk, but it seems like Spurs are heavily linked with him, and i haven't seen much of him this season (bar that goal against us).

I think he has it all to be a genuine world class player.

Just think he is in the wrong team at the wrong time

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

You're going to get wildly different answers here depending who answers.

In an attmept to be balanced...

On his day, he's world class on the left flank, running at players and beating them, and a great finisher of the ball.

There's questions about his attitude; he has a habit of going utterly invisible on the pitch, especially if he gets doubled up on and has no support.

If you can get his motivation up and make him feel like the focus of your team, and make sure he has support around him, he's brilliant. It would be interesting to see how he does in a more attack orientated team playing week in, week out.

MIND, to add to this....I'd be expecting a chunk of cash with Toby if you guys do want him. He's still incredibly young so has all the talent in the world in terms of potential.

Drumpot wrote: »
    I would personally prefer 4 quality players in positions we are lacking then Griezman because I think you spend big on him you lose in other areas.

Because we need to sign so many players, there's going to have to be concessions somewhere along the way.

It feels as if there's some who want to win the league next year (which means we need to be aiming for perfection in terms of results), while buying world class talents, under the age of 23, and not overpaying for them.

If the pressure is on Jose to mount a proper title challenge, while also going deeper into the CL (quarter finals minimum), then the concession will have to be that we can't go splashing 100m on unproven younger talents this summer. People might bemoan the ages of a Willian or whatever, but he'll come in with a far higher likelyhood of hitting the ground running.

Moreso if we need to sign 5 or 6 players too. Jose's budget won't be unlimited and he might go for 5 or 6 8/10 players rather than a 10/10 and then a load of squad players. He's going to need to find a balance of players who will be somewhat consistant, and hit the ground at a title winning pace.

Youth, ultimately, is a priority when there's less pressure of a team.

• Advertisement

Risk of a triple post here.

News in Germany is Bayern are trying to offload Vidal. They've set his price at 50m, but word is they'd take 35m.

Probably still too much for a 31 year old with knee issues, but for 25m or so, he'd be an interesting squad option.

Lord TSC wrote: »

News in Germany is Bayern are trying to offload Vidal. They've set his price at 50m, but word is they'd take 35m.

Probably still too much for a 31 year old with knee issues, but for 25m or so, he'd be an interesting squad option.

Think his time has gone now, had two major surgeries on his knees and he played thru the first injury.think he is still rehabbing second one(not entirely sure) Don’t think he will come back as good.. he’s only a year left on his contract too..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If you can get his motivation up and make him feel like the focus of your team, and make sure he has support around him, he's brilliant. It would be interesting to see how he does in a more attack orientated team playing week in, week out.

MIND, to add to this....I'd be expecting a chunk of cash with Toby if you guys do want him. He's still incredibly young so has all the talent in the world in terms of potential.

Yeah, i'd be curious to see how it would go, as we aren't exactly starved for attacking players with Son, Lamela and Lucas all fighting for those spots.

And there'd definitely be a chunk of cash as well. Toby is brilliant, but he is in his last year and has a release clause. We'll see soon enough (or at the end of August :p) if there's any rumours to it anyway.

Yeah, i'd be curious to see how it would go, as we aren't exactly starved for attacking players with Son, Lamela and Lucas all fighting for those spots.

I admit, I've not seen much of Son but my understanding is he'd be better than Martial currently. Martial might have a higher ceiling.

Martial hasn't looked up to much on the RW for us, and it wouldn't be a hard spot to nail down if he had.

I bet you Alderweireld ends up at Liverpool.

Drumpot wrote: »
    When I read stuff like this I wonder how the team will do if Jose irons out these issues when he led us to 2nd with all this crap and the other issues people complain about.

Is it the case that we think the following will be the formation:

Lukaku
    Sanchez -- Pogba --- RW
    --Matic---- CM
    LWB - CB - CB - LWB

That would mean a RW and CM are priorities cause our defence, while not perfect, has been fairly good this season. The next priority is a full back and central defender.

But the issue still exists in that we have no replacement to Lukaku. Rashford or Martial don't look like good options right now so if we lose Lukaku we are in trouble.

In terms of people wanting Griezman, where does he fit into that team ? I am not saying he isn't quality, but it sort of feels like you are buying a top quality player cause you can as opposed to buying one that helps the club get another piece of the jigsaw. And who would lose out ? Pogba ? Sanchez?

I would have been delighted to see Griezmann arrive last Summer, and was hoping/sure he would. Since the Atletico renewal and his subsequent batting of eyelashes and flashing of arse-cheeks at Barcelona, I've totally switched off and haven't a clue how he performed over the past season.

A quick glance at his stats shows that he scored 29 and assisted 13 in all games for Atletico in 2017/18. From what I can see, he played mostly as striker this past season. They are good numbers, only Lukaku comes close in our team with 27 goals and 9 assists.

We could do with his goals and assists, but is there a position for him in the team? He has excelled on the LW and at number 10 in the past, but LW doesn't seem to be priority this Summer and we don't appear to believe in the number 10 role these days.

As for your vacant RW spot above; In Jose's two Summer windows so far at the club, he has signed a player he used to manage and have a good working relationship with each Summer.

Ibra was the first, Matic was the second, I believe that Willian the Brazilian will be the third.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Again duff on rte said jose was maticulous in his coaching and planning in attack and defence so id take that over your claims he doesnt, without you ever backing it up

That's fine, there is plenty of quotes and material out there, content in books from former players, associates and journalists who had training ground access at times that support my theory, many of which I've shared here before, that you can go find if you want.

You can also find material of Mourinho taking himself about his coaching style and attacking and how he sees the game, along with a good article from a few years back with an extensive interview with the Portugese doctor that Mourinho totally bought into in terms of how football should be played.

Everything we see and have seen is still fitting to those principles, and why they are good arguements to his stuff being outdated and him needing to adapt.

Spurs through good transfers, planning and or luck have what most/some people believe is a more talented team/squad then Uniteds, so Poch not winning any thing especially in times when, city, united, arsenal all at times havent been at thier best (im talking over the course of 3 seasons) so no it isnt a compliment he hasnt won anything if you look at it logically

This is the first time, in my lifetime, Spurs have been in anyway competitive and genuine top 4 contenders or a threat.

You don't just "win" overnight, and there is a mentality that needs to be built for a team to take the next step. You'd see that with Chelsea, you've seen it with ourselves in Europe for years before we took the big step and you can see it City for the last few years.

He's done a fantastic job. Putting him down for not winning trophies is just stupid imo.

Sean Dyche has received praise this year, are we saying thats all blowing smoke up his arse because he hasn't won a trophy?Pochetino has broken the Top 4 monopoly and Spurs are now consistent challengers. That's a big deal and he has a great body of work.

Really don't get the put down because "he hasn't won trophies". Just seems silly to me, when there is only two meaningful ones a season. And if Spurs won the league or the champions league, it would be an unbelievable achievement.

So thats why its a compliment, there is some seriously high expectations of him, to be seen as vindicated in the eyes of many, which wouldn't be placed against other managers. Why is that?

Also notice in terms of why they are doing well you have just omitted the most important if not THE reason, Poch is a clearly excellent coach who makes a team better and players better. Plenty of their core players were in situ when he arrived, and he has made them move through a couple of levels.

If Seamus Coleman wasn’t Irish, I bet he’d never be mentioned as a potential United signing. We need to be aiming much higher.

How I feel on this. Like when people were touting James McCarthy....

Coleman isn't good enough for Uniteds level, and that was before his horrendous injury. Talk about short memories, we've seen Martial turn him inside out on two seperate occasions, a player we seemingly are offloading in the summer...

brinty wrote: »

Back to some really good form with Roma. Experienced playing in a midfield three.

Not overly sure if he would click with Matic and Pogba. I'd imagine concerns are over his longterm viability and fitness. He had a second horrible injury and was out for nearly a full season.

I'd say the boat has probably sailed for him, and he's very happy at Roma and has mentioned a few times he had a debt to them for supporting him and believing in him through his injury.

I'd say he probably wouldnt be interested in coming if it was an option considering three United managers in the end declined to sign him up. So don't overly blame him

• Advertisement

Can i ask how you all rate Martial?
    All the makings of a quality player, has already proven for me he is a quality player.

Fully expect Martial leaving to come back and bite us horribly.

Behind Pogba, I'd say he is for me the most talented footballer in our squad and I can only assume as he ages and builds consistency and productivity and his decision making, he is going to tear it up.

And if he does leave, I'd wish him all the best in the world and hope he maximises the ability he has.

My worry with jose is he said this before as his weakness...

“I think it’s probably my weakness as a manager, that it’s difficult for me to understand people with a different mentality to what I have.“It’s difficult to understand so it takes me time to understand and sometimes I’m not able to feel attracted (to the player again).

“Sometimes I ask my assistants to help me on that because maybe they have a different profile to me."

When you read that you really feel players like martial shaw etc have no real hope under him. He is not the arm over the shoulder kind of coach which a lot of players need

His form took a nosedive for Bayern, although he did then reclaim it, but at 31, with his questionable professionalism you'd question if hes one of those that is going to fall of a cliff.

Pity Leon Goretzka is moving to Bayern, thought there'd be more of a rush for him from around Europe, looks quality anytime I saw him, granted was very rare. But gets talked about a lot

Vidal strootman willian

i actually hope we sign none of the above.

Team needs younger players not players who are past their peak

bangkok wrote: »
    My worry with jose is he said this before as his weakness...

“I think it’s probably my weakness as a manager, that it’s difficult for me to understand people with a different mentality to what I have.“It’s difficult to understand so it takes me time to understand and sometimes I’m not able to feel attracted (to the player again).

“Sometimes I ask my assistants to help me on that because maybe they have a different profile to me."

When you read that you really feel players like martial shaw etc have no real hope under him. He is not the arm over the shoulder kind of coach which a lot of players need

Maybe thats where Carrick can help out.

Maybe promoting the under 18's coach is a brilliant move from Jose, to have someone more experienced dealing with today's youth?

Rui was historically always the person that would bridge between the manager and players Mourinho couldn't deal with directly, fell out with or just couldn't get through. Seemingly Rui had a great way with all types of people and why he was so highly rated, apart from his fitness techniques and regimes.

If he does properly address his weakness' and take steps to address them, and not worry about "looking" like admitting weakness and the likes, he'd be a better coach for it and will prolong his career.

Always smacks of crazy to me, and makes me wonder what chats did Jose, Van Gaal or Moyes have with SAF when he was constantly around, did they actually pick his brain or ask for advice, cause he'd have pointed this out to all three pretty quickly.

I'm quite optimistic about the coaching shake-up this Summer, almost as interested in that as I am new players.

Carrick could be good, Pogba has already spoken well of him as a coach.

This Kieran McKenna chap has had some trajectory so far. He started his coaching with Spurs U18s in 2015/16, taking them to the FA Youth Cup semis. He took over United U18s in 2016/17 and won the Premier League (Northern) with them in 2017/18. Real Madrid head coach 2018/19?!

Stefano Rapetti from Sampdoria (formerly of Inter with Jose) is reportedly being brought in as fitness coach. I know nothing about him, but his name suggests that he would be much better than a Stephen Rafferty. Mostly though, his previous spell with Jose at a successful team is a help.

All of the above are young coaches, Rapetti being the oldest at 41.

I know little of them all as coaches, Carrick is unproven, but it's more the fact that Jose is open to change and other ideas which enthuses me. Maybe he realises that there are issues to sort out, and is willing to listen to new ideas rather than keep himself surrounded by the same old faces.

One of the many things Fergie was great at was delegating. He felt completely secure in his position at the club and would admit that he did not know everything himself, that there might be someone who could be brought in with different ideas and help improve his team. It's good to see that this isn't something below Jose.

Have to say agree with you.

Be fascinating to see if shaking up the voices around him changes anything or him or his approach.

While I might make it sound like hes a million miles off, he really isn't. Stop alienating players, stop just talking bollox alienating fans, and figure out a workable solution in the attack, and it really, REALLY could take off next season imo.

The reason why I'm so conservative or doom and gloom, is I don't ever see this man changing. He's become a parody of himself and defending his methods, and its turned into nearly more about him winning his way, than winning.

If he could swallow some pride, make some tweaks and changes and just become more adaptable, he could be great again.

Reading a "Top 10 Best Players for Sale" in the Premier League.

Number 1 ranks as Martial obviously, but the ones behind are interesting.

Toby Alderweireld
    Riyad Mahrez
    Aaron Ramsey

Could argue all three of those would be an improvement to the first XI. I'd probably rate Ramsey that big higher then Herrera, but nice options.

Wonder if there is an argument to maybe focus back domestically, buying players experienced in the league that don't need bedding in time. Although Sanchez maybe ****s that idea in the air. Historically always had great success buying domsetically, world is different now, but those are three interesting players seemingly available this summer.

Mahrez has probably swayed me by the way, I wasn't sure on him, I wasn't comfortable with how he behaved, but when the head was down and he knew he couldn't move, he is an impressive winger.

bangkok wrote: »
    I think he has it all to be a genuine world class player.

Just think he is in the wrong team at the wrong time

I'd be inclined to agree and know what you mean, but 11 goals and 8 assists between August and mid January suggests that he was in the right team at the right time at some stage.

Completely fell off a cliff since then though. Rashford too. Both of them had a very promising first half to the season. I dunno what the fúck happened since.

• Advertisement

I'd be inclined to agree and know what you mean, but 11 goals and 7 assists between August and mid January suggests that he was in the right team at the right time at some stage.

Completely fell off a cliff since then though. Rashford too. Both of them had a very promising first half to the season. I dunno what the fúck happened since.

We signed Sanchez, which looks a pretty obvious explanation, for various reasons.

He's created a number of problems, and not fixed a solitary thing yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement