Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Liam O wrote: »

Jones got done by Hazard who has and will do many players in the past. He gave a go at getting back to him and ultimately the tackle was a mistake. He was great beside Bailly first half of the season and has decent ability on the ball. Players who get injured a lot like him have gained fitness late in their 20s. I'm thinking Robben, RVP and Evans off the top of my head so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he can stay fit more in the future and I really believe if he does he'll be a great player for United.

Its not just the injuries though.

He wouldn't have been so easily done by Hazard if he had the positional sense and ability to read danger that all top centre backs need.

He was in the wrong position to begin with.
    And then dived in really poorly.

We've seen this type of thing from Jones an awful lot.
    He's 26 now and has been at United about 7 years.

Personally I just don't see enough improvement or consistency from him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,601 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

https://twitter.com/tntsportsla/status/999042364986576897?s=21

Translation per twitter translate.. little Rosemary :pac:

#TNTSports| Last minute: Little Rosemary is unaffected by the selection @Argentina. He injured his knee and lost the World Cup. Confirms it @HernanSCastillo in #TNTDataSports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

astradave wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/tntsportsla/status/999042364986576897?s=21

Translation per twitter translate.. little Rosemary :pac:

#TNTSports| Last minute: Little Rosemary is unaffected by the selection @Argentina. He injured his knee and lost the World Cup. Confirms it @HernanSCastillo in #TNTDataSports

So Rosemary is out of WC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

pjohnson wrote: »
    So Rosemary is out of WC?

I don't know.... I understood the original language more then the translation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Only got around to seeing the final by looking at BBC highlights. Really looked like we had the chances to get something out of that game.

I had assumed from the negativity of the past few days that the game was a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Only got around to seeing the final by looking at BBC highlights. Really looked like we had the chances to get something out of that game.

I had assumed from the negativity of the past few days that the game was a disaster.

Highlights. It’s literally in the name. Try watching the other 82 minutes.

GSPfan wrote: »
    Highlights. It’s literally in the name. Try watching the other 82 minutes.
    Fair enough but I can't see myself doing that.

In saying that, there isn't a single cup final from the past 25 years I'd be willing to look at the full 90 minutes of. Not sure if there's any I'd be bothered looking at 8 minutes of Highlights either.

Fair enough but I can't see myself doing that.

In saying that, there isn't a single cup final from the past 25 years I'd be willing to look at the full 90 minutes of. Not sure if there's any I'd be bothered looking at the 8 minutes of highlighting either.

The only Cup Final and possibly only game I’ve watched a full repeat of is the game that made me a Utd fan and that was the 1990 FA Cup final vs Palace. 3-3. That game made me love football. I was 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Talisman

Think they won 13 compared to last seasons 17.

Don’t want a debate on Spurs but I think it’s fair that they were effected by that. Couple that with a better Champions League and FA Cup run and they had a very good season regardless of whether we finished ahead of them.
    They struggled at Wembley (2D 1L) until Liverpool's shambles of a defence showed up. Lovren gifted them two opportunities in the first 15 minutes and after that they settled in.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Wasn’t there a Liverpool final against West Ham (possibly in Cardiff) which was quite good?

Notwithstanding the result...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Wasn’t there a Liverpool final against West Ham (possibly in Cardiff) which was quite good?

Oh aye, Gerrard with the last minute equaliser before West Ham lost it on penalties, great cup final but as you said result aside :P

Speaking of Cardiff, Liverpool also had an entertaining cup final against them back a couple of years. Again won on penalties though.

We may not like them but you got to hand it to Liverpool, tend to have exciting finals that go to extra time or penalties. Not great for the fans but good for neutrals. Hopefully the final on Saturday is an exciting one too now.

I was more talking about all cup finals (FA/League/CW/CL/Europa) that United have played in since I started supporting the club (the CWC run after that win over Palace).

My point was that finals (especially ones United are involved in) are typically very tight cagey games with little to no excitement beyond the tension of winning the cup. I'm surprised that another dull final has led to all the negativity of recent days. Looks like more results based thinking.

Or was our performance genuinely shocking and the highlights made us look better than we were? Although some positives should be taken from the game if we were that poor and still managed to create enough chances to win the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

"The Gerrard final"

Benayoun played him off the park that day but because Gerrard scored a flukey goal from long range and obviously because he is English, he got all the plaudits.

Smashing game.

The only Cup Final and possibly only game I’ve watched a full repeat of is the game that made me a Utd fan and that was the 1990 FA Cup final vs Palace. 3-3. That game made me love football. I was 8.

That's the game that fully invested me in United too, I was 11.

I remember going into school the morning after the replay and being buoyant with joy with some of my class mates.

Got my first jersey that summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/0522/965384-man-united-still-the-most-valuable-club-in-europe/

Looks like brand of football and no league or champions league success hasn’t hampered the club financially.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I remember the first VCR we got,the shop left the tape in it and it had that cup final on it,well the 90 minutes anyway,tape ran out so got no extra time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I was more talking about all cup finals (FA/League/CW/CL/Europa) that United have played in since I started supporting the club (the CWC run after that win over Palace).

My point was that finals (especially ones United are involved in) are typically very tight cagey games with little to no excitement beyond the tension of winning the cup. I'm surprised that another dull final has led to all the negativity of recent days. Looks like more results based thinking.

Or was our performance genuinely shocking and the highlights made us look better than we were? Although some positives should be taken from the game if we were that poor and still managed to create enough chances to win the game.

When we won treble in 99, final against Newcastle was an easy win.

What a year that was. Semi final v arsenal was probably one of the best games in the history of the cup

bangkok wrote: »
    When we won treble in 99, final against Newcastle was an easy win.

What a year that was. Semi final v arsenal was probably one of the best games in the history of the cup

We had a walk over basically against Millwall in 04 too.. I think his original point was that there was no really exciting finals, (I’m not sure whether I agree tbf),looking objectively.. those examples would have been exciting from a United perspective as we were excited to win the cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

We had a walk over basically against Millwall in 04 too.. I think his original point was that there was no really exciting finals, (I’m not sure whether I agree tbf),looking objectively.. those examples would have been exciting from a United perspective as we were excited to win the cup

Barca cup winners cup was exciting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

342024.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

That’s a come and get me plea if ever there was one

Just what we need.

A past it, sulking man child for midfield.

Christ on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Better get the catering department practising for his birthday cake, only 51 weeks to go.

Yaya toure. Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

The final we lost in 05 I thought we were brilliant. Still can't believe we lost that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Poor Matic would die of exhaustion if he was paired with Pogba and Yaya.

Luckhurst(take with a heap of salt) saying we are close to signing Fred

https://twitter.com/samuelluckhurst/status/999238258113458176?s=20

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Fred, Talisa, Sandro.

I know Jose said he wanted a Brazillian but might be easier for him to go manage their national team at this rate :P

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Fred, Talisa, Sandro.

I know Jose said he wanted a Brazillian but might be easier for him to go manage their national team at this rate :P

I wont complain ;)

• Advertisement

Fred, Talisa, Sandro.

Don’t forget Willian and we were linked to Jorginho who was born in Brazil too :D

Yaya obviously desperately trying to partner Pogba in the PSG midfield. ;)

Don’t forget Willian and we were linked to Jorginho who was born in Brazil too :D

Sure at this point then, we'd be foolish NOT to go for Neymar.

How could you forget Fabinho!!

:)

I've never been disappointed with a Brazilian ;)

bangkok wrote: »
    How could you forget Fabinho!!

He hasn’t been linked to us this summer yet ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Sign all the Brazilians!

giphy.gif

Had a little bit of time so I organised up the list of players we have been linked to for this window. As you can see LB and CM take up the majority with CB just behind..

Goalkeeper
    (None)
    Right back:
    Vrsaljko
    Sidibé
    Bellerin
    Centre back:
    Alderweirald
    Bonucci
    Koulibaly
    Umtitti
    Left back:
    Alex Sandro
    Tierney
    Sessegnon
    Ghoulam
    Joao Cancelo
    Rose
    Bondswell(U16)
    Centre Mid(including DM)
    Savic
    Fred
    Jorginho
    Kroos
    Seri
    Joao Mario
    Left wing/forward
    Neymar
    Kluivert(can play right also)
    Kluivert
    Perisic(again)
    Attacking Mid/No10/Second striker
    Fekir
    Talisca
    Right Wing/Forward
    Willian
    Bale
    Striker
    (None)

Had a little bit of time so I organised up the list of players we have been linked to for this window. As you can see LB and CM take up the majority with CB just behind..

Goalkeeper
    (None)
    Right back:
    Vrsaljko
    Sidibé
    Bellerin
    Centre back:
    Alderweirald
    Bonucci
    Koulibaly
    Umtitti
    Left back:
    Alex Sandro
    Tierney
    Sessegnon
    Ghoulam
    Joao Cancelo
    Rose
    Bondswell(U16)
    Centre Mid(including DM)
    Savic
    Fred
    Jorginho
    Kroos
    Seri
    Joao Mario
    Left wing/forward
    Neymar
    Kluivert(can play right also)
    Kluivert
    Perisic(again)
    Attacking Mid/No10/Second striker
    Fekir
    Talisca
    Right Wing/Forward
    Willian
    Bale
    Striker
    (None)

You forgot pulisic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/999257211225427968

"A Bola say Talisca's agent is now in England, trying to sort a deal out. Man United & Liverpool are the clubs mentioned.

Sounds very much like Benfica want €40m and are actively trying to get it. "

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/999257211225427968

"A Bola say Talisca's agent is now in England, trying to sort a deal out. Man United & Liverpool are the clubs mentioned.

Sounds very much like Benfica want €40m and are actively trying to get it. "

Sounds very much like Talisca is the new Gaitin :D

Pulisic added to the list, dunno how I missed him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Sounds very much like Talisca is the new Gaitin :D

Pulisic added to the list, dunno how I missed him

I assumed the second Kluivert (not the one that can play on the right) was meant to be someone else.

pjohnson wrote: »
    I assumed the second Kluivert (not the one that can play on the right) was meant to be someone else.

Possibly! Now I’ve got to find out who’s missing

We've talked about him in bits all season but what a year Memphis has had at Lyon.

Tip on the ice-berg must have been the hat-trick at the weekend to guarantee Champions League football for them in their 3-2 win.

In 51 appearances for Lyon this year he has 22 goals and 16 assists. Won the Lyon fans over during this season, some doubted him coming into it and during early parts.

Next year will be interesting to see how he does with Champions League action. I know most don't want us going back there but if he has another wonderful season next year he will be only 25 and maybe worth the activation of the buy-back clause, depending on our needs and situation.

The Lyon fans seem to love him. He's been playing as a shadow striker for them and dragged them into the CL.

Its a shame he came to us both so young and when the club was at a low point.

He was cabbage when he was at United either wasnt able for the pressure of a big club or the pace of the Premier league that been said can he play RB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

The Lyon fans seem to love him. He's been playing as a shadow striker for them and dragged them into the CL.

Absolutely, but a question would be raised in regards to what role would Mourinho put him in? Would he give him the reign that Genesio does? I could see him being frustrated with how United play and not being able to attack as he does with Lyon.

A lot doubted him towards the beginning. Seemed to divide opinion like when he was at us.

Hard to find those now after his sensational end to the year! The man was on complete fire and seals it by scoring 3 to come back from behind and clinch CL on the last day of the season. If there was any doubts he certainly silenced them then! Hopefully he can step up next year, all rumours saying Fekir is on his way out, huge blow for them and Memphis will need to work harder then.

Definitely a shame he struggled with us. At one point the Shaw/Memphis combo looked so promising.

That was a super free kick from Memphis, cracking second goal too. Still only young. Who knows, if JM departs next summer and Memphis has a similar season I'd love to see him given another shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,474 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Ligue 1 isn't anything like the premier league Tbf, he wasn't at the races in England.

Glazers Out!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement