Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Cotts72 wrote: »
    If we could sign both Fred and Alderweireld over the next 2 weeks it would be a brilliant start to the window and a serious statement of intent

United don't need to make statements of intent I think the intent is well proven.

They need to make the right signings to fit whatever it is the manager wants to do.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

https://twitter.com/billrice23/status/999724949660209153?s=19

Sergei Palkin says Shakhtar Donetsk are in negotiations with #MUFC for the transfer of Fred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,601 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Lord TSC wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/billrice23/status/999724949660209153?s=19

Sergei Palkin says Shakhtar Donetsk are in negotiations with #MUFC for the transfer of Fred.

Just for those that don’t know, Sergei Palkin is Shakhtar CEO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I hope Fred and Alderweireld are just the start as it looks like there will be at least 5 players leaving over the summer. It’s a bit frustrating seeing the impact that signings make in other top 4 teams where we seem to be on an endless conveyor belt trying to find ones that will fit

He didn't actually name check United tho did I he? He said he will move to a big club??

jayo26 wrote: »
    He didn't actually name check United tho did I he? He said he will move to a big club??

That’s what he said previously, in March anyways but can’t find anything at the mo about a recent interview.. will have a better search later

Bill rice is BBC too btw

Update: :pac: love instagram

https://twitter.com/utdxtra/status/999717105225347072?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Getting Alderwield and Fred in nice and early would be a great way to start the summer. Like things being done early, not only does it have an impact (less so in world cup year) over training and integrating but it shows the club has its transfer targets sorted, but are getting down to business ASAP.

Plenty of more would still need to be done, and i think everyone knows that, but it has to start somewhere and getting in such high quality targets (from what i have read about Fred) would be a great boon to the side and an indication of what United are looking to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

astradave wrote: »
    Just for those that don’t know, Sergei Palkin is Shakhtar CEO

We all knew that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Talisman

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Where exactly does Fred play? I know he’s a cm but but what role? Who would he be comparable too?
    I think the most comparable player in the Premier League would be Emre Can. He's not a 'proper' defensive midfielder but he makes plenty of blocks and tackles due to his energy, he carries the ball forward well and feeds tidy passes to the forwards. Lukaku will love him.

Exclusive: Hysaj wanted by Atletico Madrid, replacement for the wanted Vrsaljko. [Alfredo Pedulla]

Apparently Vrsaljko (buggery name to spell) is linked with us and Chelsea. He's a right back.

• Advertisement

Jaysus Emre Can:eek:

Woodie run away quick ,those Ukrainians are taking you for a mug.

Exclusive: Hysaj wanted by Atletico Madrid, replacement for the wanted Vrsaljko. [Alfredo Pedulla]

Apparently Vrsaljko (buggery name to spell) is linked with us and Chelsea. He's a right back.

Hysaj would be a good buy for us as well.He was linked to us previously, Iv been impressed with him the few times Iv watche Napoli. Their LB is class as well but got a very nasty injury a few months back.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Jaysus Emre Can:eek:

Woodie run away quick ,those Ukrainians are taking you for a mug.

For me he’s like a bigger more attacking proficient Kante..

The are linked to Fabinho too, was wondering if he was going to be the replacement for Vrsaljko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

There's a lot of talk about the need for 'leaders', and on some level I agree, but rarely a name has been mentioned in regards to who those potential leaders could be. This leadership thing has become very popular in here these last two seasons, but I honestly haven't really seen a name suggested. Just 'someone like Keane...like Robson'.

Where do we buy them? Players can easily be sorted and searched for by their positions in the transfer market, but not really by their mental attributes and qualities.

I don't think anybody outside the industry can really talk about the mental characteristics of any player, you can only see that sort of thing up close, behind closed doors, in training and in tight situations. Thats what scouts are for, if it was just about watching youtube compilations then there would be no need for scouts at all.

I would say this though, its a minor peeve of mine that people in general reduce the "character" aspect to a Roy Keane shouting at his teammates. Being vocal and having that nasty edge is a part of it, but the problems at United are about far more than the lack of a vocal captain.

Character to me is more about drive and will to win, about wanting to be the very best of the best and being prepared to do whatever it takes to get there. About being so good and so driven that you sweep other players along with you in the drive for success. You think players didn't watch Ronaldo training and up their game in response? Or Scholes?

Its that aspect of character that breeds consistency, the best teams and players don't lose games to weaker teams because they don't coast, they don't switch off at any point thinking they already have it made. They treat CL quarter finals like finals and put in the hard yards, because its just in their character to do so.

Vocal captains are important, one look at Liverpools defence shows the truth in that. But United aren't weak because they are quiet, they are weak because they have far too many players who don't have that drive to win every single game, too many players who need everything to be perfect before they can perform, too many players waiting for somebody else to do the hard yards, too many players who don't step up to the plate when needed, too many players who never improve and think its the managers fault and not their own.

Whats the point here? One vocal and inspiring leader will not fix that squad, Roy Keane would not fix that squad. He would help, but too many of that squad have demonstrated far too often just how little they can be counted upon to not only perform consistently, but to improve month on month and in doing so demand a first team spot and improve the team as well.

That squad needs a serious clearout and it has little to do with ability. I said last summer that the club still needed another 6/7 players, a year later I wonder how many still disagree with me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

It’s been quite quiet in here considering we seem to be close to signing a player. No idea about this Fred guy but I kind of like that. I’ve been happy with the players linked so far. I’d be much happier if we started selling some players now too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Lord TSC wrote:

Vrsaljko is awesome. I'd love us to sign him. Can play LB too as used to play there for Croatia due to Srna on the right. He was excellent in Italy and wanted us to go for him before he went to Atletico.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The S*n are claiming that United are ready to pay Douglas Costa's £79 million valuation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,195 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

as important as "IN's" are I hope we also get the "OUT's" sorted.

• Advertisement

The S*n are claiming that United are ready to pay Douglas Costa's £79 million valuation.

At this stage I just think that journalists are just google searching Brazilian players and linking them to us :D

pjohnson wrote: »
    as important as "IN's" are I hope we also get the "OUT's" sorted.

Darmian is off to Juve according to DiMarzio’s team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I would be very surprised is we signed more than 4 players this summer.

Would people be happy enough with a new CM, CB, one of the full back positions addressed and an attacker ?

In terms of priorities for me its 2fbs/cm then cb/attacker

I don't think anybody outside the industry can really talk about the mental characteristics of any player, you can only see that sort of thing up close, behind closed doors, in training and in tight situations. Thats what scouts are for, if it was just about watching youtube compilations then there would be no need for scouts at all.

Thanks for the response and a good read. I agree with a lot of that, and also my idea of drive and character would not be a team of screaming Keanos.

We take it as a given that a player lining out for Manchester United would have that drive and will to win. Clearly over the last few seasons, that is not the case. Getting to play for Manchester United is the 'win' for too many of the current crop it seems, anything else like a trophy or league title is an inconsequential bonus.

Ronaldo is a great example of character and drive. He is a perfect example of what we're talking about, specifically because he is a perfect example to others who strive to excel. He is the kind of character our players could really benefit from around the team and training ground. Something like Ibra in the 2016/17 season. I think we we missed him and his presence in the dressing room and on the training ground this past season.

Ok, Ronaldo (and Ibra) was born with some things which prevent many of the rest of us from becoming the best footballer in the world, but he has laid the blueprint for anyone who can be a pro-footballer and wants to be the best they can be;

Hey, Ronaldo...How do you...just...how?

Ronaldo: I work from one end of the day until the other. Pain, tiredness, distractions, nothing stops me from achieving my goal of being the very best.

Trouble is though, that's easier said than done. Many professional players just seem happy to play for a top club or make the bench, without striving to be the best they can be. They can get paid up to 6 figures per week just for being a bit-part player and putting in the bare minimum effort on the training ground. That to them is 'making it', and why on earth would you work on yourself any harder than you need to once you've already 'made it'?

Then, I imagine that if you're young and you score a worldy on your club debut against Liverpool, or score goals in your debut in the Champions League and first games against City and Arsenal, or rejoin United as their record transfer signing and prodigal son, then in those cases you will have a whole pile of laurels to rest on. Or more specifically, to coast on.

That effort and drive to excel or improve, what we're currently lacking too much of, the closest example I can think of from one of our own players in recent seasons, funny enough, is Luke Shaw.

3 Summers ago, reports were in abundance about him shortening his Summer holidays to hone his fitness after a very poor first season at the club. He hired his own personal trainer and went to work. When he returned to the team in August, he had clearly improved over the Summer and who knows what might have happened for him then if Hector Moreno didn't break his leg. He started all 8 of our matches up to that PSV game, had impressed in most of them, and social media was abuzz with comments like 'LVG should hire Shaw's fitness coach for the whole team!'

We know that Shaw has had his troubles in the last 2 seasons and he still has not regained his place in the team. That's not my point though, nor is my point 'Just how good was Luke Shaw in the first month of the 2015 season?' My point is that the response he showed in Summer 2015 after being criticised and/or left out of the team the previous season, the condition and attitude he came back with in August 2015, that takes character and drive. It was an example of something you just don't hear about with enough of our under-performing players who badly need to improve. Of which we have many at United.

Maybe if Shaw didn't get his leg smashed and miss some vital time in his developing years, who knows what that 2015/16 that season would have held for him. It could have been a break-through season for him at the club, one which he since thrived. Had it have gone that way, the drive and change which he activated in Summer 2015 would have been pivotal and praised.

We can't talk about current players and 'character' without mentioning Anthony Martial. He is currently at that 'Shaw Point' of early Summer 2015;

Arguably Martial is at the lowest point of his professional career so far, still hasn't nailed down a place in the United 11, has drawn ample criticism from his manager, his United future is up in the air, failed to make the France squad for the WC, all of that. But the 'Shaw Point' isn't necessarily a bad thing. It affords a player the chance to bounce back better than ever, to rub it in the faces of those who doubted you. Not by putting them down or expending any negative energy against them, but simply by concentrating on and bettering yourself. A 'success is the best type of revenge' sort of scenario.

The kind of young potential player like Martial, with that kind of natural talent, I would love to see him spending his Summer now trying to prove his peers who doubted him wrong - Namely Mourinho and Deschamps. Then come back next August fighting for his place in the respective teams, bettering the 11 goals and 9 assists he got for us in the earlier part of this past season.

Luke Shaw worked on himself that Summer after being called out by his manager in the previous season. In order to do that, you first have to acknowledge and accept that you yourself are wrong, that something about you is wrong, then go about the hard work of changing it. Not easy to do, especially if there's a particularly large ego in play, but Shaw did it at the time. What about Anthony Martial? What are the chances that somebody like Anthony Martial thinks it is he who is wrong, and that it's his ways which need adjusting? I honestly don't have a clue.

It would be so simple for Martial to fúck off to another club this Summer and take the easy road. Maybe go to Juve, or Chelsea, somewhere where he would be given a clean slate by the club, and a hero's welcome by fans who only saw the good parts on Youtube and not a lot of the fluff that we endured. Most neutrals observing his situation are expecting him to do that, a lot of United fans are too.

If the player has character, the kind which we need, he will go to work this Summer like Shaw in 2015 and return fighting for his place in August. Someone with the talent and highlight reel of Martial, he could probably just put his feet up for the Summer and sulk about the place in his misfortune. Or he could go and take that natural talent, take that criticism, put the two together and forge them into something consistently special on the training pitch and in the gym. Shock most observers and come out fighting in United colours next season.

I think Jose can instill that drive and determination in players like Shaw and Martial, and it's been working with Shaw so far to an extent. We'll see with Martial next season if he's still a United player. Although, considering what I said above about it being the easy thing for him to just leave the club this Summer and start fresh elsewhere, I think that Martial still being a United player next August will be a statement in itself from him.

I could go on, but the desire to better oneself constantly, to take the criticism on board and turn it into success, that all goes towards what I look for as a given from players who take to the field in a Manchester United shirt and get paid silly money to do so. Just haven't seen enough of it in recent years, and as you said yourself Buckety if you're still there, screaming Keanos are only a small part of what we defines 'character'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

United don't need to make statements of intent I think the intent is well proven.

They need to make the right signings to fit whatever it is the manager wants to do.

Exactly, since Fergie has left I think we've been trying to make big name/money signings that don't necessarily fit the team but fit the idea that we are spending big so must be building a challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭irishchris

Thanks for the response and a good read. I agree with a lot of that, and also my idea of drive and character would not be a team of screaming Keanos.

We take it as a given that a player lining out for Manchester United would have that drive and will to win. Clearly over the last few seasons, that is not the case. Getting to play for Manchester United is the 'win' for too many of the current crop it seems, anything else like a trophy or league title is an inconsequential bonus.

Ronaldo is a great example of character and drive. He is a perfect example of what we're talking about, specifically because he is a perfect example to others who strive to excel. He is the kind of character our players could really benefit from around the team and training ground. Something like Ibra in the 2016/17 season. I think we we missed him and his presence in the dressing room and on the training ground this past season.

Ok, Ronaldo (and Ibra) was born with some things which prevent many of the rest of us from becoming the best footballer in the world, but he has laid the blueprint for anyone who can be a pro-footballer and wants to be the best they can be;

Hey, Ronaldo...How do you...just...how?

Ronaldo: I work from one end of the day until the other. Pain, tiredness, distractions, nothing stops me from achieving my goal of being the very best.

Trouble is though, that's easier said than done. Many professional players just seem happy to play for a top club or make the bench, without striving to be the best they can be. They can get paid up to 6 figures per week just for being a bit-part player and putting in the bare minimum effort on the training ground. That to them is 'making it', and why on earth would you work on yourself any harder than you need to once you've already 'made it'?

Then, I imagine that if you're young and you score a worldy on your club debut against Liverpool, or score goals in your debut in the Champions League and first games against City and Arsenal, or rejoin United as their record transfer signing and prodigal son, then in those cases you will have a whole pile of laurels to rest on. Or more specifically, to coast on.

That effort and drive to excel or improve, what we're currently lacking too much of, the closest example I can think of from one of our own players in recent seasons, funny enough, is Luke Shaw.

3 Summers ago, reports were in abundance about him shortening his Summer holidays to hone his fitness after a very poor first season at the club. He hired his own personal trainer and went to work. When he returned to the team in August, he had clearly improved over the Summer and who knows what might have happened for him then if Hector Moreno didn't break his leg. He started all 8 of our matches up to that PSV game, had impressed in most of them, and social media was abuzz with comments like 'LVG should hire Shaw's fitness coach for the whole team!'

We know that Shaw has had his troubles in the last 2 seasons and he still has not regained his place in the team. That's not my point though, nor is my point 'Just how good was Luke Shaw in the first month of the 2015 season?' My point is that the response he showed in Summer 2015 after being criticised and/or left out of the team the previous season, the condition and attitude he came back with in August 2015, that takes character and drive. It was an example of something you just don't hear about with enough of our under-performing players who badly need to improve. Of which we have many at United.

Maybe if Shaw didn't get his leg smashed and miss some vital time in his developing years, who knows what that 2015/16 that season would have held for him. It could have been a break-through season for him at the club, one which he since thrived. Had it have gone that way, the drive and change which he activated in Summer 2015 would have been pivotal and praised.

We can't talk about current players and 'character' without mentioning Anthony Martial. He is currently at that 'Shaw Point' of early Summer 2015;

Arguably Martial is at the lowest point of his professional career so far, still hasn't nailed down a place in the United 11, has drawn ample criticism from his manager, his United future is up in the air, failed to make the France squad for the WC, all of that. But the 'Shaw Point' isn't necessarily a bad thing. It affords a player the chance to bounce back better than ever, to rub it in the faces of those who doubted you. Not by putting them down or expending any negative energy against them, but simply by concentrating on and bettering yourself. A 'success is the best type of revenge' sort of scenario.

The kind of young potential player like Martial, with that kind of natural talent, I would love to see him spending his Summer now trying to prove his peers who doubted him wrong - Namely Mourinho and Deschamps. Then come back next August fighting for his place in the respective teams, bettering the 11 goals and 9 assists he got for us in the earlier part of this past season.

Luke Shaw worked on himself that Summer after being called out by his manager in the previous season. In order to do that, you first have to acknowledge and accept that you yourself are wrong, that something about you is wrong, then go about the hard work of changing it. Not easy to do, especially if there's a particularly large ego in play, but Shaw did it at the time. What about Anthony Martial? What are the chances that somebody like Anthony Martial thinks it is he who is wrong, and that it's his ways which need adjusting? I honestly don't have a clue.

It would be so simple for Martial to fúck off to another club this Summer and take the easy road. Maybe go to Juve, or Chelsea, somewhere where he would be given a clean slate by the club, and a hero's welcome by fans who only saw the good parts on Youtube and not a lot of the fluff that we endured. Most neutrals observing his situation are expecting him to do that, a lot of United fans are too.

If the player has character, the kind which we need, he will go to work this Summer like Shaw in 2015 and return fighting for his place in August. Someone with the talent and highlight reel of Martial, he could probably just put his feet up for the Summer and sulk about the place in his misfortune. Or he could go and take that natural talent, take that criticism, put the two together and forge them into something consistently special on the training pitch and in the gym. Shock most observers and come out fighting in United colours next season.

I think Jose can instill that drive and determination in players like Shaw and Martial, and it's been working with Shaw so far to an extent. We'll see with Martial next season if he's still a United player. Although, considering what I said above about it being the easy thing for him to just leave the club this Summer and start fresh elsewhere, I think that Martial still being a United player next August will be a statement in itself from him.

I could go on, but the desire to better oneself constantly, to take the criticism on board and turn it into success, that all goes towards what I look for as a given from players who take to the field in a Manchester United shirt and get paid silly money to do so. Just haven't seen enough of it in recent years, and as you said yourself Buckety if you're still there, screaming Keanos are only a small part of what we defines 'character'.

I did read three first the lines but no way do I have the energy to read all of that :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I know most eyes will be on the Champions League final but I'm really looking forward to Fulham v Villa.

Sam Johnstone will no doubt make his move to Aston Villa permanent if they can win and go up. He's been there for so long you would easily forget it isn't already!

Had high hopes for him, but obviously with De Gea getting a chance with us wasn't going to happen. He's already tasted playoff victory before when on loan with Preston a couple of years back. Has been in outrageous form for Villa this season, 22 clean sheets, obviously big help from the defence but has put in some great performances and saves. Bruce has given him a lot of praise but admitted that his future with Villa could depend on this match, Villa board have made it clear they want him there.

So potentially another goalkeeper from the United Youth system will be playing in the PL next season. With Johnstone it's hard to tell where is ceiling is. Definitely the right calibre for the PL and young but hard to tell how far he can go.

I know he won't be with us but I hope he helps Villa up and shows his class in the top flight, big fan of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Cotts72

If United sign Fred and his first pics aren't with Fred the red then I'm out...

Juve have the deal done for €46 m according to reports.They probably paid for the loan deal but no way it will add up to 79m sterling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Cotts72 wrote: »
    If United sign Fred and his first pics aren't with Fred the red then I'm out...

Fred the red should be part of his unveiling. Do the big song and dance then have Fred the red come out thinking it's for him.

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    Juve have the deal done for €46 m according to reports.They probably paid for the loan deal but no way it will add up to 79m sterling.

Not seen the story but I'd guess the "news" would be June bought him for the agreed loan clause with the intentions of reselling him at a higher price themselves.

Not that I believe a word of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

At this stage I just think that journalists are just google searching Brazilian players and linking them to us :D

Rumours are Utd are going to try and get Zico,Dunga,Careca and Romario out of retirement :D

Fred the red should be part of his unveiling. Do the big song and dance then have Fred the red come out thinking it's for him.

This would be the greatest unveiling ever...

Or do it having Fred the red holding the scarf and signing contract touring OT and then whips off the head to Unveil the real Fred

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

BBC also reporting that we are interested in Fred and Alderweireld.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44240320

It would be great to get those 2 signed up before the WC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Quandary wrote: »
    BBC also reporting that we are interested in Fred and Alderweireld.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44240320

It would be great to get those 2 signed up before the WC.

you zerked it ;)

Fred now reported as saying he'll wait until after the World Cup to sort out a transfer.

Fred now reported as saying he'll wait until after the World Cup to sort out a transfer.

Nah he just said he is focused on the World Cup and that is being interpreted as that, he will be in the UK next week for their match against Croatia so I’d expect it to be wrapped up then.

He was basically saying he is leaving it to Shakhtar and his agent to sort out.

Nah he just said he is focused on the World Cup and that is being interpreted as that, he will be in the UK next week for their match against Croatia so I’d expect it to be wrapped up then

Croatia you say?
    That means Perisic will be there too. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Modric too!

• Advertisement

Keeping Fellaini this summer would be huge and allow us to focus on other positions.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Modric too!

Zvonimir Boban? It's on!!!

He was some fantastic player in his day.

beno619 wrote: »
    Keeping Fellaini this summer would be huge and allow us to focus on other positions.

****_off.gif

****_off.gif

Broken link ?

That's in addition to Fred replacing Carrick.

beno619 wrote: »

No matter how serious your posts are I can never take it serious with your avatar :D

https://twitter.com/footballitalia/status/999943532470292480

Talisca reportedly tells team mates that he's moving to Roma.

He was no Dejan Savecevic

Or Robert Prosineki... now that was a glorious ginger man....

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/top-man-utd-midfield-target-admits-e50million-talks-are-at-an-advanced-stage

Damn you Talisca, never seen you play but decided I wanted you after watching YouTube 😂

• Advertisement

Davor Suker was my favourite Croat player, fantastic to watch

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement