Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,601 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Cotts72 wrote: »
    https://www.teamtalk.com/news/top-man-utd-midfield-target-admits-e50million-talks-are-at-an-advanced-stage

Damn you Talisca, never seen you play but decided I wanted you after watching YouTube 😂

Never trust Benfica, don’t you remember Nico Gaitan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

astradave wrote: »
    Davor Suker was my favourite Croat player, fantastic to watch

Hipster... he is dead to me after going to Arsenal...
    Never trust Benfica, don’t you remember Nico Gaitan

Have we been linked with him yet this summer... surely him and Garay and Sneijder are due in Manchester imminently...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/samuelluckhurst/status/999963537354080256

Luckhurst:

United have other priorities but are open to signing a backup striker.

https://twitter.com/samuelluckhurst/status/999963537354080256

Luckhurst:

United have other priorities but are open to signing a backup striker.

Think that’s coming from DiMarzio’s links to Arnautovic, castles reporting that we are looking at him too

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Credible reports that Lewandowski wants out of Bayern. Kicker saying that us, PSG and Chelsea are the most likely teams.

Calling BS on that though. Can't see us switching to a two striker formation and can't see us losing Lukaku either.

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Credible reports that Lewandowski wants out of Bayern. Kicker saying that us, PSG and Chelsea are the most likely teams.

Calling BS on that though. Can't see us switching to a two striker formation and can't see us losing Lukaku either.

Lewandowski wouldn't come to United to be backup to Lukaku. I've a feeling it'll be Morata out at Chelsea and Lewandowski in.
    PSG have been pulled up again on FFP. They might not be signing anyone.

Lewandowski wouldn't come to United to be backup to Lukaku. I've a feeling it'll be Morata out at Chelsea and Lewandowski in.

Will Lewandowski really go to Chelsea with no CL football? Supposed they can pay him to ignore it for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Think that’s coming from DiMarzio’s links to Arnautovic, castles reporting that we are looking at him too

Would people be happy with arnautovic? Always struck me as talented but lazy granted he can play in a few positions across the top but still has me undecided if he's united quality

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Would be interesting but I feel it will be another fine, rather than transfer ban. We will find out in June I think.

Will be interesting how our window goes. I don't have much confidence of anything happening before the World Cup, so coming weeks may test people who want business done quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Does the window for PL clubs close before the season start this year ? or when is that ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

threein99 wrote: »
    Does the window for PL clubs close before the season start this year ? or when is that ?

Yep before the season this year.

threein99 wrote: »

Closes August 9th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,195 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If you check PL website international window doesnt open until 9th June. So thats another point to consider re: Fred

pjohnson wrote: »
    If you check PL website international window doesnt open until 9th June. So thats another point to consider re: Fred

Won’t matter as it’s an incoming transfer

Also dressed supreme of chicken is bloody amazing if anyone is looking for dinner!

Won’t matter as it’s an incoming transfer

Nah. Ricardo Pereira can't get clearance to join Leicester until then. Check the link on Leicester's page.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Nah. Ricardo Pereira can't get clearance to join Leicester until then. Check the link on Leicester's page.

Yeah but they can still transfer, an international Clearance Cert is needed for all players transferring in from a different country, clubs would do all their checks themselves before agreeing to the transfer anyways and it’s just a straightforward procedure then. You can transfer players without it, you just can’t register them with the FA or league until the very has been issued to the club.

Edit:think I worded it a bit wrong, you can transfer players but you would be running the risk of them not getting clearance, that’s why most teams would agree terms subject to clearance. But it’s pretty straightforward unless the player is hiding something massive or has Visa issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Would be one of the most underwhelming signings in a long time.

Gotta be aiming higher.

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Would people be happy with arnautovic? Always struck me as talented but lazy granted he can play in a few positions across the top but still has me undecided if he's united quality
    adox wrote: »

Gotta be aiming higher.

Meh, he's obviously not being targeted as a first team player. Looks like we're investigating having a Plan B with Fellaini gone and in case Lukaku gets hurt. You're not going to get a top class star in to sit on the bench for 75% of the season. It's either going to be someone like Anrautovic who isn't top level but happy to be a squad player, or someone like Mandzukic who is that bit older and near the end of his career.

OPtion three, of course, is more kids, but we're kind of stocked up on the level....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

adox wrote: »

Gotta be aiming higher.

Gotta be hard to find players of high caliber that are willing to sit on the bench all season - which is what this signing would be.

If we sign a player for this role, it isn't to compete with Lukaku or switch us to a 442 - they would be getting signed to come on for 10 minutes at the end of matches or start the early rounds of League and FA Cup campaigns.

In that respect, I wouldn't be too bothered about who we signed, we aren't going to be getting a Dybala, Icardi or Lewandowski for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Seen the Mandzukic links and he would be a good option. A seasoned pro who may be happy as a squad player for a few seasons.Juve interested in Darmian so a deal could be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

yabadabado wrote: »
    Seen the Mandzukic links and he would be a good option. A seasoned pro who may be happy as a squad player for a few seasons.Juve interested in Darmian so a deal could be done.

Definitely I a possibility but I reckon Juve would squeeze us for as much as possible for him. He has two years left on his contract and was a regular for them. Plus they know we have the money.

Not sure how easily a deal would be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

We seem to sell a fair few captains from the under age groups. Or it "feels" like that anyway. Didn't another under23 captain leave like two seasons ago for somewhere.

You'd think lads being made captain are done so for a reason, and they are players we should be concerned about losing no, but yet don't think there is ever any "omg we are losing a leader". Like I have no idea who Joe Riley is if I'm honest, but I guess I just assume him being a captain was done so because he is a high profile player at that age group or has strong qualities.

Just tieing into earlier conversations about lack of leadership on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Could Martial not do the same job as Arnautovic if we were in for him, or do we think Martial is a dead cert to go?

TheDoc wrote: »
    We seem to sell a fair few captains from the under age groups. Or it "feels" like that anyway. Didn't another under23 captain leave like two seasons ago for somewhere.

You'd think lads being made captain are done so for a reason, and they are players we should be concerned about losing no, but yet don't think there is ever any "omg we are losing a leader". Like I have no idea who Joe Riley is if I'm honest, but I guess I just assume him being a captain was done so because he is a high profile player at that age group or has strong qualities.

Just tieing into earlier conversations about lack of leadership on the pitch.

At a guess, being captain of the u23s probably means "You're the best of who is in the reserves, but just under the line of being worthy of a full team call up". If they were better, they'd be in and around the first team. If they were worse, they wouldn't be captain.

So it's probably a case, then, of said player knowing he's not good enough for United, but more than good enough for a league one team, and thus moves on quickly.

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Could Martial not do the same job as Arnautovic if we were in for him, or do we think Martial is a dead cert to go?

The thing with the Marko links that come to my mind would be that he would be able to fill in the right wing role also so it’s kinda 2 birds with one stone, a back up for Lukaku and someone that can also play RW. Even though he plays out left a lot he is good on either side and thru the middle. Definitely not a high end forward but a more than capable squad player.

I don’t think Martial is happy with being a Squad player and will want to move on to somewhere that can give him guaranteed football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

As much as I like Arnautovic personally, fully agree with Adox, be a massively underwhelming signing and we should be doing better.

Considering Mourinho is bemoaning character and mentality, there is no way he would sign a player he described as having the mentality of a child.

• Advertisement

Bouhafsi has us linked to Fabinho again, says we are in discussions with his entourage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

"Entourage" seems to be the buzzword this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Bouhafsi has us linked to Fabinho again, says we are in discussions with his entourage

Good, should have signed him last summer, I hope we make 5-6 quality signings this window and get rid of 6-7 of the deadwood that have been here far to long, sitting on the bench an in the stands taking up squad places..

He would be a quality signing, gives us cover at both cm and rb. Think I read somewhere that he prefers rb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

That effort and drive to excel or improve, what we're currently lacking too much of, the closest example I can think of from one of our own players in recent seasons, funny enough, is Luke Shaw.

3 Summers ago, reports were in abundance about him shortening his Summer holidays to hone his fitness after a very poor first season at the club. He hired his own personal trainer and went to work. When he returned to the team in August, he had clearly improved over the Summer and who knows what might have happened for him then if Hector Moreno didn't break his leg. He started all 8 of our matches up to that PSV game, had impressed in most of them, and social media was abuzz with comments like 'LVG should hire Shaw's fitness coach for the whole team!'

We know that Shaw has had his troubles in the last 2 seasons and he still has not regained his place in the team. That's not my point though, nor is my point 'Just how good was Luke Shaw in the first month of the 2015 season?' My point is that the response he showed in Summer 2015 after being criticised and/or left out of the team the previous season, the condition and attitude he came back with in August 2015, that takes character and drive. It was an example of something you just don't hear about with enough of our under-performing players who badly need to improve. Of which we have many at United.

Maybe if Shaw didn't get his leg smashed and miss some vital time in his developing years, who knows what that 2015/16 that season would have held for him. It could have been a break-through season for him at the club, one which he since thrived. Had it have gone that way, the drive and change which he activated in Summer 2015 would have been pivotal and praised.
    Funny how we can have different opinions, because you seem to be praising Shaw for this...

But to me, that whole incident is damning on Shaw, it is almost the exception that proves the rule. 3 years ago Shaw knuckled down, put in some hard work and very quickly started to reap the rewards. The manager didn't matter, the tactics didn't matter, he put in hard work and began to play well on the back of it.

He did the right thing, but in doing so showed us that he could do it. If he wanted to. So why hasn't he done it since?

To me Shaw is like that blowhard in every GAA club, the one that is all mouth and every so often makes a big burst of training with the aim of destroying all before him. It never lasts though, theres a big burst and then a few weeks later said blowhard is back on the beer, because putting in the graft year after year is actually difficult and he didn't want it enough.

Shaw could do it, we know that because we seen him do it once. But Shaw is back a long time from that broken leg and yet he is overweight and unfit. (Yes, he is, I'm not blind). Forget the manager, that **** is all on him and it reflects absolutely terrible on him and on his mentality. Where is the extra training now? Where is the personal trainer these days?

And he is not the only one in that squad, not the only one coasting along doing far less than he could. There are a few highly rated young players in that squad who have their fans and for whom its never their fault, but the reality is that they aren't worth a **** long term because whatever it is, they haven't got it.

As an aside, players like that just make me respect players like Ashley Young a little more. He was being phased out, was given an opportunity at left back and clearly he put in the effort to grab that chance with both hands, to the point where he had a career resurgence. He is no Maldini but damn sure I'd rather have a team of players with that mentality than a team of useless pricks who disappear for 80% of every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭Sand

It has to be said, Mourinho has tried everything to motivate Shaw. He has tried dropping him. Singling him out for criticism publicly. Taking credit for when Shaw has played well. He even praised him once. Nothing has worked. If a player wont motivate himself, there is nothing a manager can do. We need to draw a line under Shaw and move on.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/ManUtdMEN/status/1000098678370160642

United reject Martial Alderweireld swap deal.

Levy is just taking the piss at this stage.

https://twitter.com/ManUtdMEN/status/1000098678370160642

United reject Martial Alderweireld swap deal.

Levy is just taking the piss at this stage.

He'll sell alright eventually but at a very high price

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

AidoEirE wrote: »

We really are going nowhere if we let Martial go and replace him with Mandzukic or Arnautovic. Can Mourhino not work with and develop young players ??

Robson99 wrote: »
    We really are going nowhere if we let Martial go and replace him with Mandzukic or Arnautovic. Can Mourhino not work with and develop young players ??

Can people not comprehend that Martial and Mandzukic/Arnautovic are entirely different types of players, and that no amount of "developing" is going to grow Martial a foot and make him a viable back up to Lukaku/Fellaini?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

Can people not comprehend that Martial and Mandzukic/Arnautovic are entirely different types of players, and that no amount of "developing" is going to grow Martial a foot and make him a viable back up to Lukaku/Fellaini?
    Why does he need to grow a foot ?? Can we not try and play football rather than hoof ball ??

• Advertisement

I think some people just can’t see differences in these things when it comes to Jose. Even his second part of the post about youngsters when the majority of signings and players we are linked with are still young. There is absolutely no harm in having a nice blend of youth and experience in the squad

Robson99 wrote: »
    Why does he need to grow a foot ?? Can we not try and play football rather than hoof ball ??

We don’t play hoof ball

Beckham on tomorrow night's game.

"Please beat Liverpool, please!!".

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1000132266591444997

Tuchel decides that none of PSG's fullbacks are good enough.
    Imagine what he'd think of United's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1000132266591444997

Tuchel decides that none of PSG's fullbacks are good enough.
    Imagine what he'd think of United's.

We'd better get our fullback business done quick so!

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1000119937267060737

"Marseille in talks for Fellaini".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Is Meunier any good? He's a big United fan and if he's not wanted at PSG....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

J. Marston wrote: »
    Is Meunier any good? He's a big United fan and if he's not wanted at PSG....

Didn’t he go awol not too long ago?

We don’t play hoof ball

Ah nowadays a cross is a "hoof" remember? Ball MUST stay on the ground at all times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Screenshot_20180526-010351.jpg

How did we miss this on cup final day.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement