Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Being a meme. That will be Jone's legacy at United.

Really, really hope he's shown the door this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

jayo26 wrote: »
    Screenshot_20180526-010351.jpg

How did we miss this on cup final day.

Look back at the clip of him chasing Hazard. He makes about 40 different faces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

I can't bring myself to watch tonight's game. Petty I know but it is what it is!
    Booked dinner with the Mrs. She is highly surprised at the gesture as she knows the game is on. Easiest brownie points I have ever earned!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I'll probably watch it to the point where pool go ahead.

I fully expect pool to win. :(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Incase the worst comes to the worst is there anything you can download that deletes all your social media accounts in one go? Say like a nuclear bomb for social media :)

Incase the worst comes to the worst is there anything you can download that deletes all your social media accounts in one go? Say like a nuclear bomb for social media :)

Gotta get rid of the family first. Their pool fans.

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Gotta get rid of the family first. Their pool fans.

Same here 3 brothers haha.

The guy on Sky news.
    "We have,the history,the heritage".

He obviously never did his homework on what Madrid have won.

https://twitter.com/footballitalia/status/1000272825595277314

"Corriere dello Sport claims #MUFC are ready to pay €85m for Douglas Costa, doubling #Juventus cost from #FCBayern"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Ah Lads most of us were around in 2005 ... if we survived then we will survive now if it happens. World Cup will start soon and that will distract from it.

Still won’t stop me watching it from behind the couch!

https://twitter.com/footballitalia/status/1000272825595277314

"Corriere dello Sport claims #MUFC are ready to pay €85m for Douglas Costa, doubling #Juventus cost from #FCBayern"

He a right sided player or left?

MrMac84 wrote: »

He is left footed anyway.

Thing he can play right or left wing.

Lads most of us were around in 2005 lads... if we survived then we will survive now if it happens. World Cup will start soon and that will distract from it.

Still won’t stop me watching it from behind the couch!

No saturation of social media back then,it was much easier to avoid back then.

Here's a thing, there's loads headed to Liverpool to watch the game,I don't ever remember hordes of Irish United fans heading to Manchester when we played in finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

He’s left footed which means in a Jose Mourinho team he will play right wing/right forward.

I’m actually delighted with the link to him. He’s always looked lively when I’ve seen him.

Here's a thing, there's loads headed to Liverpool to watch the game,I don't ever remember hordes of Irish United fans heading to Manchester when we played in finals.

There’s no United fans in Manchester tho....... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Jesus Christ...if you’d told me that we’d dominate English football for 25 years, that their last league win would be in 1990, and that the net result after tonight could be 3 European Cups for us and 6 for them, I just wouldn’t have believed it.

https://twitter.com/footballitalia/status/1000295360470880257

"Juventus on the verge of €13m deal to sign Matteo Darmian from #MUFC"

Jesus Christ...if you’d told me that we’d dominate English football for 25 years, that their last league win would be in 1990, and that the net result after tonight could be 3 European Cups for us and 6 for them, I just wouldn’t have believed it.

When they were on top domestically they dominated Europe. We didnt for the first half of Sir Alex’s reign and for the second half we were in Peps & Messi, Barca’s shadow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

J. Marston wrote: »

Every summer the hope gets raised that this year will be Jones year, that he will stay injury free, play consistently, lose the mistakes and develop from potential to a genuine top class player.

So how did he do in 2017/18?

- He only featured in 25 out of 60 possible games, 23 out of 38 in the league.
    - 71 days and 13 games missed due to two separate hamstring injuries.
    - Played a solid 6/7 out of 10 in most games, a few high profile mistakes that cost the team and no standout 10/10 performances that I recall.

So, 7 years into his United career and aged 26, we have yet another Phil Jones season where he didn't step up into being a reliable, consistent top class defender that a club like United demands. The injuries are still there, the brainfarts are still there, the world class parts still are not there.

The club cannot keep doing this, it cannot keep persisting with these types of players, its too many seasons wasted on potential and on players who are not stepping up to the next level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,641 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

It’s so obvious that united are linking themselves to Costa to push Juve into selling us Sandro :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

The guy on Sky news.
    "We have,the history,the heritage".

He obviously never did his homework on what Madrid have won.

Thats mental, Ronaldos going for his 5th champions league. Crazy achievement if he pulls it off.

Linked with Real Betis defender Fabian Ruiz this morning in the sun

Mirror have us in for Joao Cancelo from Valencia. I don’t know anything about either

Every summer the hope gets raised that this year will be Jones year, that he will stay injury free, play consistently, lose the mistakes and develop from potential to a genuine top class player.

So how did he do in 2017/18?

- He only featured in 25 out of 60 possible games, 23 out of 38 in the league.
    - 71 days and 13 games missed due to two separate hamstring injuries.
    - Played a solid 6/7 out of 10 in most games, a few high profile mistakes that cost the team and no standout 10/10 performances that I recall.

So, 7 years into his United career and aged 26, we have yet another Phil Jones season where he didn't step up into being a reliable, consistent top class defender that a club like United demands. The injuries are still there, the brainfarts are still there, the world class parts still are not there.

The club cannot keep doing this, it cannot keep persisting with these types of players, its too many seasons wasted on potential and on players who are not stepping up to the next level.

A superb post, fair play.

Jones is a great example of someone who is forever talked about in terms of what he might become until we realise someday that he’s now 35!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

A superb post, fair play.

Jones is a great example of someone who is forever talked about in terms of what he might become until we realise someday that he’s now 35!

Or someone who's played very well when fit and is now only 26. He's better than the rest of the CBs there bar Bailly and imo Blind. There have been plenty of players in recent years who've sorted injury issues in their late 20s so to cast him off would be a mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Linked with Real Betis defender Fabian Ruiz this morning in the sun

Mirror have us in for Joao Cancelo from Valencia. I don’t know anything about either

Ruiz is a Cm, been linked with him during the week the new' kaka' some article described him. I don't know much either other than cancelo was on loan at inter and would be available for 30mill supposedly

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Can people not comprehend that Martial and Mandzukic/Arnautovic are entirely different types of players, and that no amount of "developing" is going to grow Martial a foot and make him a viable back up to Lukaku/Fellaini?
    Robson99 wrote: »
    Why does he need to grow a foot ?? Can we not try and play football rather than hoof ball ??

Just to clarify.

At the moment, we have multiple players who "play football"; not just Martial and Rashford, but Sanchez, Lingard and Mata are all attacking players capable of "playing football" when the mood takes them.

The issue is when faced with a packed box, these players struggle to figure out what to do next. They develop habits of running into defenders or hitting the shins of the first man in front of them.

At that point, you need a Plan B. Lukaku has the ability to play both a good ground game and a good aerial game. After that, you can say Pogba can as well, but he should be outside the box feeding the balls in.

The point of Mandzukic or Arnautovic would be to provide something utterly different to what Martial and Rashford do and can offer. Call it "hoofball" if you want, but Martial and Rashford aren't going to be trained to be able to muscle their way round a packed defense to win balls in the air. They aren't aggressive enough to throw their weight and strenght around.

If you spend 80 minutes struggling to break down a defense, you should have a Plan B, and Plan B shouldn't be the same as Plan A. It doesn't need to be "sexy", it needs to be effective.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Just to clarify.

At the moment, we have multiple players who "play football"; not just Martial and Rashford, but Sanchez, Lingard and Mata are all attacking players capable of "playing football" when the mood takes them.

The issue is when faced with a packed box, these players struggle to figure out what to do next. They develop habits of running into defenders or hitting the shins of the first man in front of them.

At that point, you need a Plan B. Lukaku has the ability to play both a good ground game and a good aerial game. After that, you can say Pogba can as well, but he should be outside the box feeding the balls in.

The point of Mandzukic or Arnautovic would be to provide something utterly different to what Martial and Rashford do and can offer. Call it "hoofball" if you want, but Martial and Rashford aren't going to be trained to be able to muscle their way round a packed defense to win balls in the air. They aren't aggressive enough to throw their weight and strenght around.

If you spend 80 minutes struggling to break down a defense, you should have a Plan B, and Plan B shouldn't be the same as Plan A. It doesn't need to be "sexy", it needs to be effective.

On this,
    The last thing you do with players who can beat a defender on the ground is put him in the middle of a packed defence to be a receiver. You want them moving around, finding and creating space.

The 'hoof' option to play the ball into a more static player is for them to run off of. See Martial v Spurs at home as the long ball.

A strong forward can also hold off defenders and give a pass and move option for more intricate play. See Sanchez and Lukaku link up v Chelsea at OT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

19 years ago today, I'd ****ing love if Madrid did something similar tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Del007

When they were on top domestically they dominated Europe. We didnt for the first half of Sir Alex’s reign and for the second half we were in Peps & Messi, Barca’s shadow

The 3 foreigners rule had a lot to answer for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,487 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Del007 wrote: »

Everyone else was bound by the same rules.

• Advertisement

Del007 wrote: »

Everyone else was bound by the same rules.

It was more pronounced for English clubs because Scottish/Welsh/Irish players became “foreign”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Liam O wrote: »
    Or someone who's played very well when fit and is now only 26. He's better than the rest of the CBs there bar Bailly and imo Blind. There have been plenty of players in recent years who've sorted injury issues in their late 20s so to cast him off would be a mistake.

I'd agree with most of that not sure about the Blind comment.

Jones had a solid season with the exception of Spurs away and a lunge in the cup final.

Getting rid is hardly a top priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Got all nostalgic today seeing Uniteds 1999 comeback and in particular I seen Fergies interview right after and I actually smiled widely when he says “Football, Bloody Hell”. Hope he’s on the mend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

We've lorded it over them for the last four years about the slip with gifs and memes,and even a day decicated to it. As they say,what goes around comes around. It's part and parcel of footballing rivarly.

It's Sir Matts birthday today so hopefully he'll be able to strike a deal with the big fella upstairs :D.

Bret Hart wrote: »
    We've lorded it over them for the last four years about the slip with gifs and memes,and even a day decicated to it. As they say,what goes around comes around. It's part and parcel of footballing rivarly.

It's Sir Matts birthday today so hopefully he'll be able to strike a deal with the big fella upstairs :D.

So true bret to be honest it's all good Craic but it wouldn't make it any easier if they did win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Tippex

https://twitter.com/footballitalia/status/1000295360470880257

"Juventus on the verge of €13m deal to sign Matteo Darmian from #MUFC"

I'd Take that I was delighted to see him sign but just has not worked out and decent enough money considering his playing time with us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Liam O wrote: »

Grand so. Lets give it all another year then, maybe this will be the year that it finally happens. Its didn't happen the last 3 or 4 years but you never know, maybe Jones and Smalling will play every game to a high standard and we can have a settled partnership at the back. Shaw will put in some work and we can have a left back. Martial will stop disappearing in games and makes himself undroppable. Rashford will learn how to play up top on his own, and Pogba will start acting like a senior player and consistently influence games. Daley Blind will stop being happy to be a nobody, Herrera will find his form again, Mata find some teeth and Valencia will stop being scared to run at people, maybe even drop his crusade against defenders ankles.

They are all great lads, they just need another chance and United is the club to give it to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

Blind is the worst of the senior CBs at the club imo.

Slow, weak in the air, weak physicaly. Sure he has very good distribution on the ball but I want my defenders to be able to defend first and foremost. It seems to be all th fashion now to have a ball playing CB, even at the expense of their defensive duties. I just don’t understand it.

Blind can’t go quick enough. Was never Utd standard and never will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Blind and Darmian should be the first two out the door. The very definition of dead wood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,641 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Ehm.. sky sources though so probably bull****

https://twitter.com/skykaveh/status/1000393815885303808?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

adox wrote: »
    Blind is the worst of the senior CBs at the club imo.

Slow, weak in the air, weak physicaly. Sure he has very good distribution on the ball but I want my defenders to be able to defend first and foremost. It seems to be all th fashion now to have a ball playing CB, even at the expense of their defensive duties. I just don’t understand it.

Blind can’t go quick enough. Was never Utd standard and never will be.

Its to do with the new obsession of possesion based football.

Just waiting on a spicebox from apache pizza hmmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

astradave wrote: »
    Ehm.. sky sources though so probably bull****

https://twitter.com/skykaveh/status/1000393815885303808?s=21

choofed.gif

So Alison to Madrid then it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

They do spiceboxes? My one doesn't.

The universe fúcks me over once again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Hope Valencia isn't delivering it.....it won't get past your gate.

If it isn't him,I hope its not Neil Webb..he'll just eat it.....

If its Sol Campbell,he'll say he could have cooked a better one. ..

...and if its David Beckham... That is NOT garlic sauce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Grand so. Lets give it all another year then, maybe this will be the year that it finally happens. Its didn't happen the last 3 or 4 years but you never know, maybe Jones and Smalling will play every game to a high standard and we can have a settled partnership at the back. Shaw will put in some work and we can have a left back. Martial will stop disappearing in games and makes himself undroppable. Rashford will learn how to play up top on his own, and Pogba will start acting like a senior player and consistently influence games. Daley Blind will stop being happy to be a nobody, Herrera will find his form again, Mata find some teeth and Valencia will stop being scared to run at people, maybe even drop his crusade against defenders ankles.

They are all great lads, they just need another chance and United is the club to give it to them.

When did I say anything about those players? I was talking about Jones.

I did mention Blind but that's because I think he's class and has both defensive and on the ball skill but the post was about Jones. I thought he played to a high standard this season.

They do spiceboxes? My one doesn't.

The universe fúcks me over once again.

Nicest ever pal they do chips and shredded chicken and little spring rolls in a medium size pizza box for 8 quid with drink and dip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

Cracking championship playoff match. Really enjoyed it.

Didn’t know if I wanted to watch the CL final but I’m in the mood now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

So jealous of you lot that get to choose to watch or not. Just on my break before I go back to work in the pub. Cheering on Madrid so the place might clear out a little faster...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement