Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Memphis has still got massive potential but the thing is why do we need him? Is he consistently better then the options we have on the left? Martial? Rashford? Sanchez? I don't think he is so for that reason our proliorities should be central midfield, wingbacks, centre back and right wing in that order for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

TheDoc wrote: »
    Bit of a shoulder shrug. He's been generally poor this season, recapturing a bit of form in the last number of months.

But I've long believed Eriksen to be the better player and the Totenham player I'd love to poach and have found Ali to be a bit overblown in terms of the praise he gets and think thats generally driven by the fact he is English.

When Totenham are mentioned it's always Kane and Ali, but it's Eriksen that makes that team tick.

I think son is one of their best players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I know we discussed Memphis before, but I'll jump in it again since I like him. He had another good game for Holland v Portugal the other day, on the score sheet and involved in the third. He's having a great time at Lyon, one of their key players in the push for CL football and has been doing great for international side too.

A lot of speculation someone will make a move for him this summer. We have a buy-back option but I don't see us activating it, despite the praise Josut on him and how he said a return may be in the cards. He's back playing the way we wanted at United, strong on the ball, taking people on, lovely skills and vision. I'm in the minority here but I'd be interested in him having another go at it, most would say it was a failed experiment and no point going backwards, fair enough, but I love me a good underdog story.

Also his latest quotes would suggest we won't see him back, but you never know in football.

Also has he been spending some time with Zlatan? All this third person talking!

Depay played well last night but was **** against England and most of the time during the WC qualifiers.

Difference is that till last night, he was mostly used on the left. last night he played as 1 of the 2 strikers, Babel being the other one and it went well.

But i am nog going to put any money on him to lead The Netherlands to victory in the so called nations Cup against Germany and France.
    Portugal was very poor last night after Tonny Vilhena flipped the off switch on Ronaldo in the 7th minute (or so).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Depay is constantly in and out of the starting XI at Lyon so not sure why we'd be considering bringing him back given our current options.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Depay is constantly in and out of the starting XI at Lyon so not sure why we'd be considering bringing him back given our current options.

And he isnt good enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Manchester Evening News
    Manchester United have beaten Manchester City to the signing of highly-rated Polish defender Lukasz Bejger.

Could be the only time United beat City for a couple of seasons :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I agree with the current options argument but think that's a bit of an overly harsh and not entirely correct assessment of how he's doing at Lyon.

Has started 33 games for them this season (10 sub appearances) and along the way has scored 13 and assisted 9, with a handful of man of the match appearances.

He's been one of Lyons best players this season. 2nd top scorer for them both in the league and in Europe, and also their top assist provider for both competitions. Not to mention his performances have been well too. I haven't seen all his matches but from the ones I have seen and highlights he has been performing extremely well for them and easily one of the fan favourites now. (Edit: Will say he does have some critics from their fans, mostly when he first arrived, but most I have talked to have rated him highly and know of his importance this season)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Or just that he was overwhelmingly ****e for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Or just that he was overwhelmingly ****e for us

Same as Falcao and Di Maria were, same as a lot of attacking players looked under LVG. I wouldn't judge any player on that period.

Liam O wrote: »
    Same as Falcao and Di Maria were, same as a lot of attacking players looked under LVG. I wouldn't judge any player on that period.

You can't blame LvG for either of Falcao or Di Maria's deficiencies, contrasting as they may have been, neither were LvG's fault.

Depay simply hasn't done it at a high enough level and despite having some nice looking stats it should be noted he also lost his place in the Lyon side this season.

But why anyone would willfully ignore a sizeable sample of appearances where he actually played for us and was complete muck in favour of them even to begin with is bemusing.

• Advertisement

Di Maria wasn't actually **** for us he was pretty good he just didn't want to be here.

You can't blame LvG for either of Falcao or Di Maria's deficiencies, contrasting as they may have been, neither were LvG's fault.

Depay simply hasn't done it at a high enough level and despite having some nice looking stats it should be noted he also lost his place in the Lyon side this season.

But why anyone would willfully ignore a sizeable sample of appearances where he actually played for us and was complete muck in favour of them even to begin with is bemusing.

While I wont with argue with people having the opinion about how he had his shot with us and didn't live up to expectations, or the argument that we don't need him, I don't agree with this opinion many seem to have that he's lost his spot in the Lyon team and simply a backup player for them

Even in the last 10 games for them has started 8 of them. Both sub appearances came in the league game following the midweek European games. Like I said before he's started most games this season for them and is one of the top players in terms of appearances for them.

His performances for us weren't great, but he has been playing well in France. Had a poor start and at times doesn't offer enough defensively but on the ball he's been very good.

Out of interest who are people saying has replaced him on the Lyon lineup? Normally he starts on the left with Traoré on the right. I know with Fekir injured the formation has changed a bit and Cornet is an option on either side but that alternates (think he has come on a sub more than started this season) and there's Maolida but he's certainly a bench option not a starter.

I'm not suggesting he's a 'back up player' at all. You probably keep a closer on eye on what's happening at Lyon compared to me but all I said was that he's constantly in and out of the starting XI which seems to be the case for this calendar year anyway. This may be simply down to squad rotation and managing the EL.

Even after a midweek trip to Moscow I'd be expecting a key player to start the crucial game against Marseille the weekend before an international break. Although in hindsight bringing him off the bench to score a last minute winner looks like the smartest of moves.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

pjohnson wrote: »
    Depending on figures could it be worth signing him for what ever the buy back is then selling him again for his current value (provided his current value exceeds the buy back value) or as a bartering chip to exchange to get a player we really need.

He'd have to agree to that, surely. He'd have to accept a contract, however temporarily, and would know that makes him harder to sign then.

I'd imagine he'd want to make a move easier to facilitate.

I'm not suggesting he's a 'back up player' at all. You probably keep a closer on eye on what's happening at Lyon compared to me but all I said was that he's constantly in and out of the starting XI which seems to be the case for this calendar year anyway. This may be simply down to squad rotation and managing the EL.

Even after a midweek trip to Moscow I'd be expecting a key player to start the crucial game against Marseille the weekend before an international break. Although in hindsight bringing him off the bench to score a last minute winner looks like the smartest of moves.

Fair enough. I am one pulling for him to come good so I may be guilty of watching with rose-tinted glasses at times too.

He certainly still has critics over defensive responsibilities, so can't see José being content with him.

Also a few question his work-rate, maybe explains his and Shaws great friendship :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lord TSC wrote: »
    He'd have to agree to that, surely. He'd have to accept a contract, however temporarily, and would know that makes him harder to sign then.

I'd imagine he'd want to make a move easier to facilitate.

Italian Clubs do this pretty often IIRC. Barca have done it aswell I think.

Few quotes by Griezmann regarding Pogba.
    Will be interesting to see how he plays for France this evening.
    “He came back (to the France squad) with a huge smile on his face,” said Griezmann.

“He was happy. It’s not easy when you don’t play at your club or you don’t feel at your best.

“It happened to me and he knows that.

“He still enjoys having fun and working hard, which are what matter the most.

“It’s up to him to prove and show that he’s still the player that he can be.

“The coach here trusts him, like the entire squad. We need a smiling Paul and an efficient one on the pitch.”

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Eriksen would be a superb addition for us. Like other posters, I’d have a very jaundiced view of Dele Alli; he’s an extraordinarily dirty player too, and in a cheating underhand way rather than a hard-man way.

Re Memphis and Angel Di Maria, I never want to see them darken the door of the club again; the former was symptomatic of everything that is wrong with the modern professional and the latter was a mercenary of the worst kind who never tried a leg for the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

De Gea has admitted he does not feel the same warmth in his homeland among the wider public.

'In England I have a great affection and respect that I do not notice so much here,' he said, according to Goal.

'But every time I come to the national team I feel fondness inside, and it is the most important thing.'

Good stuff from De Gea,Madrid can piss off and Dave stays where he's loved.

• Advertisement

While I wont with argue with people having the opinion about how he had his shot with us and didn't live up to expectations, or the argument that we don't need him, I don't agree with this opinion many seem to have that he's lost his spot in the Lyon team and simply a backup player for them

Even in the last 10 games for them has started 8 of them. Both sub appearances came in the league game following the midweek European games. Like I said before he's started most games this season for them and is one of the top players in terms of appearances for them.

His performances for us weren't great, but he has been playing well in France. Had a poor start and at times doesn't offer enough defensively but on the ball he's been very good.

Out of interest who are people saying has replaced him on the Lyon lineup? Normally he starts on the left with Traoré on the right. I know with Fekir injured the formation has changed a bit and Cornet is an option on either side but that alternates (think he has come on a sub more than started this season) and there's Maolida but he's certainly a bench option not a starter.

Classifying his performances for us as "weren't great" is being very generous.

I wasn't saying he was out of the side at the minute, I said "he also lost his place in the Lyon side this season".

It was a couple of months into the season from what I remember. Manager dropped him for Cornet or one of their other decent looking young players saying that he wasn't training properly. Basically Memphis being Memphis. This was all after a few goals and a few assists in his first 5/6 games which on paper would look like a player applying himself and playing well.

Anyway, I was only posting just to add some balance to the thread for this unusually high stock that some people seem to have of him.

My point stands, we seen enough of him playing in an actual United shirt not to be going near him. I mean even we were to entertain the idea for a second of us buying him back simply to try and flip him again, would we even make that much money? This isn't a Morata Juve situation where Real Madrid knew that if they bought him back at a cut price they'd have top European clubs willing to pay hand over fist for him.

.........and well if not, then why settle for Memphis when Florian Thauvin is the big prize to be won, why bother considering his time at Newcastle :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

jayo26 wrote: »
    Memphis has still got massive potential but the thing is why do we need him? Is he consistently better then the options we have on the left? Martial? Rashford? Sanchez? I don't think he is so for that reason our proliorities should be central midfield, wingbacks, centre back and right wing in that order for me.

Well depends how you look at it. Obviously he is in a different league, in a different team operating under different pressure and expectations.

In terms of just taking it on performances, he has been substantially better than Rashford and Martial, and Sanchez in his limited appearances so far.

But the caveat being he's operating in a different environment now. But if your taking it just on the high level, unquestionably he is doing better and being much more consistent.

He's a played I love we signed, liked when we had and was devastated Jose turfed, but maybe its one of those things that needed to happen. Maybe came to soon for him.

I doubt he will come back to United, but I also expect that at some point he will take the step back up again. Hopefully more mature and defined and prove a few people wrong.

Classifying his performances for us as "weren't great" is being very generous.

I wasn't saying he was out of the side at the minute, I said "he also lost his place in the Lyon side this season".

It was a couple of months into the season from what I remember. Manager dropped him for Cornet or one of their other decent looking young players saying that he wasn't training properly. Basically Memphis being Memphis. This was all after a few goals and a few assists in his first 5/6 games which on paper would like a player applying himself and playing well.

Anyway, I was only posting just to add some balance to the thread for this unusually high stock that some people seem to have of him.

My point stands, we seen enough of him playing in an actual United shirt not to be going near him. I mean even we were to entertain the idea for a second of us buying him back simply to try and flip him again, would we even make that much money? This isn't a Morata Juve situation where Real Madrid know that if they buy him back at a cut price they'll have top European clubs willing to pay hand over fist for him.

.........and well if not, then why settle for Memphis when Florian Thauvin is the big prize to be won, why bother considering his time at Newcastle :pac:

Haha I get it.

I have admitted I want him to do well, talented player when he puts the work in, which can affect my judgement. I don't see really anyone else here really defending him so I don't think the thread has this unusual high stock that you seem to think.

And like you say he had critics for defensive duties and work rate towards the beginning but he wasn't dropped for any prolonged time, can't recall him being on the bench for back-to-back games for Lyon this season (could be wrong here) because he's an important player for them.

I understand people who want nothing to do with him and the notion of even activating the buy-back clause seems madness to them. Completely understand it, but just don't agree with people who try to knock the fact that he has rediscovered form with Lyon.

Anyway if reports of Fekir leaving are true then I imagine Lyon will do their best to hold onto him for another season at least. Then it may be more of a conversation if he can help Lyon get CL football and continue to improve. If then the buy-back still seems a nonsense idea it may appear so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

TheDoc wrote: »
    Well depends how you look at it. Obviously he is in a different league, in a different team operating under different pressure and expectations.

In terms of just taking it on performances, he has been substantially better than Rashford and Martial, and Sanchez in his limited appearances so far.

But the caveat being he's operating in a different environment now. But if your taking it just on the high level, unquestionably he is doing better and being much more consistent.

He's a played I love we signed, liked when we had and was devastated Jose turfed, but maybe its one of those things that needed to happen. Maybe came to soon for him.

I doubt he will come back to United, but I also expect that at some point he will take the step back up again. Hopefully more mature and defined and prove a few people wrong.

Just on the bits in bold, and I haven't seen a whole lot of Memphis play this season, but his stats aren't that impressive in an inferior league. Not sure how you can say he has been substantially better than Martial and Rashford and is unquestionably doing better and much more consistent.

Maybe we could also build a really strong spine for the team and re-sign Taibi, Prunier, Djemba-Djemba and Bebe with David Moyes as high performance consultant?

Memphis...FFS...the man was an abject failure at United, has all of the most loathsome characteristics of a modern footballer, and continues to underwhelm in the woefully weak French league.

I’m starting to believe that people fly these kites just for a laugh. Memphis!

I'm extremely concerned about Bangkok. Pogba has a goal and assist and he hasn't logged in to mention it yet and say how this proves he is "class"

• Advertisement

I'm extremely concerned about Bangkok. Pogba has a goal and assist and he hasn't logged in to mention it yet and say how this proves he is "class"

Shouldn't you be happy one of our players is playing well, albeit during international break, rather than annoyed someone will use it to back up their opinion?

Happy to see Pogba is doing well, hopefully it carries over.

Nice pass for first but all Mbappe after that.

https://streamable.com/bwohb

Free kick however was gorgeous.

https://streamable.com/zyxe8

Shouldn't you be happy one of our players is playing well, albeit during international break, rather than annoyed someone will use it to back up their opinion?

Happy to see Pogba is doing well, hopefully it carries over.

It was a joke.

International and league football are different beasts anyway. He needs to start performing well for Manchester United not France as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Aside from the right full back, that's a very tasty first xi France have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Turtwig wrote: »
    Aside from the right full back, that's a very tasty first xi France have.

Won't Sidibe be the starting RB for them? A really good player imo.

France have an excellent team and well capable of winning the world cup.

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    Won't Sidibe be the starting RB for them? A really good player imo.

France have an excellent team and well capable of winning the world cup.

France regularly have a good-great team but find a way to somehow get knocked.

It was a joke.

International and league football are different beasts anyway. He needs to start performing well for Manchester United not France as far as I'm concerned.

He will perform when the tactics used by the manager are correct

How did Martial do? Hope he is doing enough to ensure a place in the squad for Russia.

Surprised actually pogba hasnt pushed more to be taking a few free kicks for us, he has very good technique

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

bangkok wrote: »
    He will perform when the tactics used by the manager are correct

Not something you hear said about many world class players

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Because the teams are usually built to suit their needs and get the best out of them

Because the teams are usually built to suit their needs and get the best out of them

The problem is that Pogba is not a world class player. He is an indulgence...a little puppy chasing the ball with almost no footballing intelligence or nous. He is certainly an athlete and has the raw materials to be a world class player, but he falls short on the intelligence side of things which is a crying shame, especially for us.

The problem is that Pogba is not a world class player. He is an indulgence...a little puppy chasing the ball with almost no footballing intelligence or nous. He is certainly an athlete and has the raw materials to be a world class player, but he falls short on the intelligence side of things which is a crying shame, especially for us.

He is frances best player and talisman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

In all honesty.. that’s just hyperbolic nonsense..

He is frances best player and talisman

Eh, Griezman

• Advertisement

astradave wrote: »

In all honesty.. that’s just hyperbolic nonsense..

How so? Is a proven midfielder like Souness wrong when he says more or less the same? It’s naive not to admit that Pogba is something of a misfit.

How so? Is a proven midfielder like Souness wrong when he says more or less the same? It’s naive not to admit that Pogba is something of a misfit.

Ah jaysus are you the fella that is always citing Souness?

I guess that explains the rubbish that gets posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Using Souness to make a point about United :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

That John stones is cat you know

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Is a proven midfielder like Souness wrong when he says more or less the same?.

Yes

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Lukaku with two so far against Saudi Arabia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I always feel the intelligence thing is brought up a lot more for black players for whatever reason.

Pogba no football intelligence? He doesn't track back well enough but that is an application issue. Some of the positions he takes up on the pitch are fantastic as is his attacking movement.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Lukaku with two so far against Saudi Arabia.

I'm thinking one more and he get motm card ;)

Liam O wrote: »

I always feel the intelligence thing is brought up a lot more for black players for whatever reason.

Pogba no football intelligence? He doesn't track back well enough but that is an application issue.

I think that the inference there is disgraceful.

He doesn’t track back, but he also takes up strange positions, and tries to dribble too much.

But to invoke race is offside.

• Advertisement

Ah jaysus are you the fella that is always citing Souness?

I guess that explains the rubbish that gets posted.

I don’t think I’ve ever cited Graeme Souness before, but I find him good as a pundit. He’s enormously experienced both as a player and as a coach and he speaks honestly and articulately. The fact that he played for them is irrelevant; Gary Neville provides top quality impartial analysis despite being a rabid Red Devil.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement