Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Two great saves that means the rest of them can keep sleeping.

Nice little jant forward from Lindelof there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Lindelof playing very well

Followed up by him making his own 'double save', he's doing well this game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Poor enough 2nd half. thought they would have really turned it on this half

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Crowd are silent when we are playing great in the first half.

Then moan when we are closing out the game on the 86th minute with possession football.

Coming to hate the OT crowd, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Drumpot wrote: »

Also been happy with Lindleof who is getting stuck in and looking more comfortable then he has in sometime .
    ianob7 wrote: »
    Lindelof playing very well
    Followed up by him making his own 'double save', he's doing well this game.

Agreed. I actually thought he had a solid first half aswell. This has been one of his best games if not the best where he has a strong presence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Lord TSC wrote: »

Then moan when we are closing out the game on the 86th minute with possession football.

It’s all Jayo’s fault

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I agree.

I’ve been to many games over the last 30 years years at Old Trafford. The best atmosphere I’ve experienced was against Barca in CL semi finals...

why couldnt we continue playing the way we did in first half, get another few goals and keep the crowd happy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Comfortable win. Would have been nice to see some killer instinct though.

City or Liverpool put 5 or 6 past Swansea today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

bangkok wrote: »
    why couldnt we continue playing the way we did in first half, get another few goals and keep the crowd happy?

Because then some people wouldn't have anything to moan about, good guy Jose, making sure the detractors have plenty to keep them going :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Did you not read what he wrote?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

J. Marston wrote: »
    Comfortable win. Would have been nice to see some killer instinct though.

City or Liverpool put 5 or 6 past Swansea today.

And still only got 3 points(didn’t Liverpool fail to beat them recently?)

The game did slip a bit second half but Swansea were never going to be as passive as they were in the first half.

Because Swansea played better in the second half and we didn’t play as well.

There was no way Swansea were going to be as poor as the first half.

An early second half goal would have knocked the stuffing out of them but it didn’t happen, but they never really looked like they would get right back into it.

They had chances and there was the double De Gea save but meh, I don’t think football is as simple as “we were great in the first half why can’t we do the same in the second?”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

adox wrote: »
    And still only got 3 points(didn’t Liverpool fail to beat them recently?)

The game did slip a bit second half but Swansea were never going to be as passive as they were in the first half.

Nah sure 4 goals gets you a bonus point right?

pjohnson wrote: »
    Nah sure 4 goals gets you a bonus point right?

To be fair I get where people are coming from as we did retreat into our shell a bit in the second half and it was more reminiscent of recent underwhelming performances but the damage was done by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

At the start of the season, if we were offered being 12 points clear of 4th with 7 games to play I doubt too many would have turned their nose up at it.

Happy with the win, would have been nice to get 4 or 5 but other than thought no complaints.

At the start of the season, if we were offered being 12 points clear of 4th with 7 games to play I doubt too many would have turned their nose up at it.

Happy with the win, would have been nice to get 4 or 5 but other than thought no complaints.

at the start of the season if i said in march we would be 14 points off top, knocked out of league cup by Bristol City and knocked out of champions league by sevilla in last 16, not too many would have taken that either

• Advertisement

at the start of the season if i said in march we would be 14 points off top, knocked out of league cup by Bristol City and knocked out of champions league by sevilla in last 16, not too many would have taken that either

This rubbish back again.

This rubbish back again.

My apologies, its actually 16 points

Maybe it's the fact that those two weeks of a break felt much longer to me, but I enjoyed that game. It would have been a great performance if the team carried on in the second half the same as the first.

In the first half, there was some very smooth attacking football. After the second goal went in, it looked like there was a chance we'd go '4-0 F.C.' like in early season.

It wasn't to be though. It seems in the second half the team were happy to sit on the 2-0 as they eased off the tempo a bit. That's fair enough to an extent and the team controlled the game for the most part, but only for DDG Swansea were back in it with 2-1 and the momentum starting to go their way. That was a bit concerning.

Anyway, a few positives to take...

- A well-earned goal for Sanchez to finally compliment some hard work from him all over the pitch.

- The attack in general worked very well together at times. Lukaku scores goals, but I thought his own team play in the final third was very positive. I have absolutely no worries with him receiving the ball out on the wing/near the halfway line while under pressure.

- Out of our defenders, Young and Lindelof played very well.

- Rashford only got 15 minutes, but he saw plenty of the ball and showed great desire to get the team a third goal. He may have earned himself a start for the derby next Saturday.

- Herrera back could be a good option if he can put most of this season's performances behind him. He did fine with what was given to him in those 15 minutes, I can't remember him making a mistake really even though he saw a fair bit of the ball. He didn't even go down crying in an attempt to rundown the clock, he played football to achieve that.

The atmosphere is one thing, but the sight of the stands emptying at 85 minutes makes me shake my head. 'So fúcking what' if you get delayed an extra 15 minutes waiting on the train because you stayed until/beyond the final whistle. Sure, some people just need to get away early, but not enough to create the voids of empty seats in the stands.

You see our players like Lukaku going around to applaud and thank the fans after the whistle, and yes there are still many remaining in the stands, but there's still a huge amount either gone, or turning their backs and walking out in a 'So what mate...I'm away home' fashion.

I see 'tourists' and 'day-trippers' get a lot of the blame when it comes to the OT atmosphere. However, tourists who traveled a great distance to see the game are hardly the ones emptying out well before the final whistle sounds.

Sure, as Manchester United F.C., there's an expectation to win and contend for the top accolades. That's not in doubt. However, there's a sense of entitlement on show with the OT crowd lately which is different, and not a welcome sight.

M.U.S.T. wanted a word with Jose about his comments on the stadium atmosphere. How about they have a word with central members of fan groups who attend OT first to see why exactly they are bowing out early and/or giving the silent treatment for 90% of the match-time.

Archaic/boring football cannot be used as an excuse on a day like today. Even though we sat back in the second half, it was far from turgid, disjointed or even in the Top 10 of most boring United performances this season.

My apologies, its actually 16 points

Still utterly useless to use

what about sevilla over 2 legs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

what about sevilla over 2 legs?

Have ye no homework to do son...
    I’m cutting of your internet access off if ye don’t be more positive

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    To be fair I get where people are coming from as we did retreat into our shell a bit in the second half and it was more reminiscent of recent underwhelming performances but the damage was done by then.

I'd imagine a 6-0 win would have still not been good enough for some. It'd be too many chances missed/not enough possession/DDG had to make saves etc. Theres always someway that the game is always negative.

I'd imagine a 6-0 win would have still not been good enough for some. It'd be too many chances missed/not enough possession/DDG had to make saves etc. Theres always someway that the game is always negative.

That’s exactly it P..
    there’s no pleasing some people
    Some seem happier moaning than supporting the team
    It’s why I’ve been so inactive on here recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

City are going to win the league against us next week. I can’t see this group of players finding the motivation that would be needed to get a result at the etihad. I could sense that impending doom at the club, especially from the atmosphere during today’s game.

August is a long way away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

City already 2 up away to Everton. Rooney and schneidrlin started in midfield together - city will demolish them. Big Sam must not have watched Rooney playing midfield for us. Schneiderlin really went downhill after leaving Southampton too. I remember being so excited when we signed him, thought he would be brilliant for us.

Would love to see Herrera regain some of last years form. Himself and Matic breaking up the play and dictating the pace of the game with Pogba given a free role, on paper it works :)

brinty wrote: »
    That’s exactly it P..
    there’s no pleasing some people
    Some seem happier moaning than supporting the team
    It’s why I’ve been so inactive on here recently

I actually forgot how miserable some are during the international break. Maybe the racial debates around Pogba weren't that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

And there's DDG's weekly "How did he stop that?!?!" moment.

My stream was so good it felt like I was right.beside him when he did it.

20180331_161732.jpg

jayo26 wrote: »

20180331_161732.jpg

Thats deadly!

City are going to win the league against us next week. I can’t see this group of players finding the motivation that would be needed to get a result at the etihad. I could sense that impending doom at the club, especially from the atmosphere during today’s game.

August is a long way away.

Even if they do, it won't matter to a few of you.

20180331_161732.jpg

You’re some joker jayo
    Enjoy tonight and wrap up well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Why? It's true.

Why? It's true.

Because it completely ignores the context.

I really really don't know how it comes across on tv tsc but the crowd were excellent today the atmosphere and singing in first half was really good a d in second half when the defence started doing stupid short passing moves they started shouting and cheering too in a positive way.

East stand quadrant was constant mourinho red army.

brinty wrote: »
    You’re some joker jayo
    Enjoy tonight and wrap up well

Wrap up twice just to be safe :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Don’t be silly as a wise man once said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I hope City wrap it up at OT. This Utd squad needs to know what that feels like and if that doesn't light a fire under them for next season, nothing will.

• Advertisement

Because it completely ignores the context.

what about sevilla or did you just ignore that question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Jesus, the show has started early today!

what about sevilla or did you just ignore that question?

I'm addressing the uselessness of harping on about points gap as a metric which you love to use. If you wanna play with the Sevilla goalposts you've carried in good for you but I'm staying on the playing field this discussion started at.

I'm addressing the uselessness of harping on about points gap as a metric which you love to use. If you wanna play with the Sevilla goalposts you've carried in good for you but I'm staying on the playing field this discussion started at.

but sure our aim is the league, or it was at start of season, so 16 points is the issue.

what about next season? we wont be topping city either given how we line up in big games

astradave wrote: »
    Jesus, the show has started early today!

yea, he got the 2nd goal, 3 up now :P

How was it Alfred put it in Batman

Some people just wanna see the world burn down

I’ve the same feeling off certain people on this thread

I hope City wrap it up at OT. This Utd squad needs to know what that feels like and if that doesn't light a fire under them for next season, nothing will.

game is away at city

Third one is the charm I hear jayo.... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

It would be nice for the city players to win something in the club's home town when the stadium is full, too. Would make a pleasant change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Why can't we all be friends.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement