Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

niallo27 wrote:
    Why can't we all be friends.

You're in the wrong thread Niall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

DeGea would have saved that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

Can someone please explain to me how some posters here can wax lyrical about Liverpool and Spurs and how much better of a team they are and criticise United for being so far behind City points-wise, yet completely ignore that the aforementioned teams are even further behind City? A genuine question.

I don't recall Liverpool being criticised for being 18 points, or Spurs for being 23 points behind City. Or is that only a metric allowed to be used for bashing United, and more specifically, Jose?

Jeez clubberlang what a statement..
    I frikkin love it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Rooney started cm today for Everton and hauled off after an hour. A legend no doubt but has dropped of a lot in a short period of time

• Advertisement

Can someone please explain to me how some posters here can wax lyrical about Liverpool and Spurs and how much better of a team they are and criticise United for being so far behind City points-wise, yet completely ignore that the aforementioned teams are even further behind City? A genuine question.

I don't recall Liverpool being criticised for being 18 points, or Spurs for being 23 points behind City. Or is that only a metric allowed to be used for bashing United, and more specifically, Jose?

The net spend arguement will be wheeled out now

astradave wrote:
    The net spend arguement will be wheeled out now

You just know it
    And that Spurs have a salary cap..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Because part of that argument would also have to acknowledge that we've leapfrogged them all too, and credit would have to be given to Jose and the team for the massive difference this season compared to the previous ones.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Rooney started cm today for Everton and hauled off after an hour. A legend no doubt but has dropped of a lot in a short period of time

Not really a short period, has been on a downward spiral for the last 3/4 years which is a massive amount of time in football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Because some posters have to shove their opinion down your throat several times a week just incase you missed the day/weeks previous attempt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

tenor.gif

• Can someone please explain to me how some posters here can wax lyrical about Liverpool and Spurs and how much better of a team they are and criticise United for being so far behind City points-wise, yet completely ignore that the aforementioned teams are even further behind City? A genuine question.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

bangkok wrote: »
    but sure our aim is the league, or it was at start of season, so 16 points is the issue.

what about next season? we wont be topping city either given how we line up in big games

This is a bit of context now for why "16 Points" is useless.

*Last year we gave up to focus on EL so not really relevant as we threw away a lot of points.

*The year before that (15/16) we finished 15 pts behind Leicester who won the league, I guess if its "16 points" thats the issue as you claim then you would say 15 points was an improvement? If its pts behind the leader that matters? However that season 15 points behind the winners translated into 5th place.

*In 14/15 we finished 17 pts behind league winners Chelsea this is "worse" than "16 points" yet this translated into 4th place.

So the year where we had the smallest gap to the league winners (Leicester - 15pts) translated into the WORST league position (5th). So that seems to show it to be a useless inconsistent metric to focus on. Unless you do think that was a better season? Do you now think that "pts behind" is superior to league position when determining a good season?

Also curiously I dont remember anyone last season claiming that our points gap was the unacceptable issue. It was generally the lower league position that was the problem. Now that we are in second place and people can no longer grumble over struggling to make the CL spots they have started grumbling over the points gap.

Yes our aim is the league, but as clubberlang pointed out there is no club that is near City. There is literally no title challengers this season yet its only certain United fans who have an issue with us specifically not challenging City.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

jayo26 wrote: »
    My stream was so good it felt like I was right.beside him when he did it.

20180331_161732.jpg

That is a god damn excellent view

dhMeAzK.gif?noredirect

Its obvious some people dislike United and/or Jose but can they at least be honest or try to pick a non-moronic point to stand by?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

pjohnson wrote: »
    Its obvious some people dislike United and/or Jose but can they at least be honest or try to pick a non-moronic point to stand by?

they are called liverpool supporters

They actually say far more positive things about United than some of the regular United "fans" bangkok

bangkok wrote:

When did you start supporting Liverpool then kiddo..

brinty wrote: »

When City became too mainstream

pjohnson wrote:
    When City became too mainstream

Anyone got a bandwagon gif

• Advertisement

brinty wrote: »

and there it is

They actually say far more positive things about United than some of the regular United "fans" bangkok

first half today we were very good, 2nd half we were poor. nothing wrong with that, some take offence though when some say we were poor

and there it is

Actually you never answered did you think we had a better season when we came 5th but more importantly only 15 points behind Leicester than we are having now? I mean you must do?

Actually you never answered did you think we had a better season when we came 5th but more importantly only 15 points behind Leicester than we are having now?

this season has been meh.

our aim before season started was to win the league, we failed miserably

Bristol City knocked us out of league cup

We were embarrassed by Sevilla in the champions league, probably one of the worst home performances in the champions league ko in a long time

fa cup still to play for, so hopefully we win that and a 2nd place finish puts a bit of shine on the season

If this season is meh, then jesus christ is all I can say..

our aim before season started was to win the league, we failed miserably

Did you genuinely think we'd jump from finishes of 7th, 4th, 5th, 6th to first?

Lord TSC wrote: »

Apparently he did..

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Apparently he did..

Damn Jose to hell for not meeting my unrealistic expectations.

i expected a proper title challenge considering the money spent

chelsea went from 10th to 1st in 2 seasons.

leicester went from 14th to 1st in 2 seasons

city went from 3rd last season to blowing everyone out of the water this season

it can be done, we def should be a lot closer to city.

• Advertisement

Damn Jose to hell for not meeting my unrealistic expectations.

He's got to go damn it :pac::pac:

we def should be a lot closer to city.

We are second. There is no 1.5 position in the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Sirsok

i expected a proper title challenge considering the money spent

chelsea went from 10th to 1st in 2 seasons.

leicester went from 14th to 1st in 2 seasons

city went from 3rd last season to blowing everyone out of the water this season

it can be done, we def should be a lot closer to city.

Im generally just a lurker, but I read alot of your comments and do be genuinely flabbergasted.

We are second. There is no 1.5 position in the table.

16 points away.

we should be a lot closer ie 1,2,3,4,5 6 7 etc points away and not 16

Sirsok wrote: »
    Im generally just a lurker, but I read alot of your comments and do be genuinely flabbergasted.

a lot of my comments that turn out to be true??

Hypothetical thought here, if it were United 16 points ahead of City, would there still be complaining?

• Advertisement

16 points away.

we should be a lot closer ie 1,2,3,4,5 6 7 etc points away and not 16

So that clarifies you believe that "points behind" is superior to league position.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Hypothetical thought here, if it were United 16 points ahead of City, would there still be complaining?

i would seriously doubt it...

was there complaining in 2008 when utd were one of the best teams in europe? i wasnt on boards then

So bangkok, final question.

It no longer matters if we win or lose, right? There's just going to be unrelenting criticisms about the fact we're X points behind?

It no longer matters if we win or lose, right? There's just going to be unrelenting criticisms about the fact we're X points behind?

of course it matters if we win.

i said at half time we were very good.

at full time i said that was a poor 2nd half (which it was)

i dont see why that is such an issue with some

i just dont think under jose i will ever be happy with how he plays.

city next week will be a perfect example, league is over, top 4 is probably wrapped up for us and yet i can see jose setting us up not to get beat, all players behind the ball, about 20% possession and still lose 2 or 3 nil, when we should try and go toe to toe with them and if we lost 2 or 3 nil and at least had a go it wouldnt be as bad. just show some ambition against them but i dont think he will

The United thread reminds me of films most of the time..

Current viewing

tenor.gif?itemid=7308130

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭SScope

bangkok wrote:
    a lot of my comments that turn out to be true??

Hard not to be right when you shift the goalposts as much as you do

SScope wrote: »
    Hard not to be right when you shift the goalposts as much as you do

Whatever. Hard to win an argument when theres loads ganging up

Also what about the sevilla performance, tactics used, players used? Only one man can take the blame there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Also what about the sevilla performance, tactics used, players used? Only one man can take the blame there

You see there beating barca 2 0 now?

Maybe there not as ****e as we taught.

There it is

No one gangs up, they call you out for what you do, moving the goalposts is your special move. Why should anyone have any reasonable discussion with you when you constantly waste their time by going from pillar to post back to pillar again..

Serious question here, do you really really think that this season has not been an improvement on previous seasons and that we are on an upward trajectory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭SScope

bangkok wrote:

Now the victim card, the problem is you constantly use your opinion as fact and when your "facts" are proved incorrect/made up. You scuttle away and wait for a few days and start all over again.

16pts is too much but you are not taking into account any of the good work that has been done by Jose and the team or that City are having a freak season that has never been seen before.

I agree with you that I think in my OPINION that we should be closer the FACT is we aren't. More work to be done by players and manager next season

astradave wrote: »
    No one gangs up, they call you out for what you do, moving the goalposts is your special move. Why should anyone have any reasonable discussion with you when you constantly waste their time by going from pillar to post back to pillar again..

Serious question here, do you really really think that this season has not been an improvement on previous seasons and that we are on an upward trajectory

I cant see it.

League position yes. Improvement in play no.

Most of our players are getting worse or havent improved. Pogba, martial, rashford, mata, herrera, smalling havent improved

I cant see it.

League position yes. Improvement in play no.

Most of our players are getting worse or havent improved. Pogba, martial, rashford, mata, herrera, smalling havent improved

So you are effectively admitting that you think the football was better under Moyes and LVG..

SScope wrote: »
    Now the victim card, the problem is you constantly use your opinion as fact and when your "facts" are proved incorrect/made up. You scuttle away and wait for a few days and start all over again.

16pts is too much but you are not taking into account any of the good work that has been done by Jose and the team or that City are having a freak season that has never been seen before.

I agree with you that I think in my OPINION that we should be closer the FACT is we aren't. More work to be done by players and manager next season

What about city game next week. How do you think we will approach it and how do you think we should approach it

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement