Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Sirsok wrote: »
    Im generally just a lurker, but I read alot of your comments and do be genuinely flabbergasted.

Yet those comments get attention and decide the direction of the thread. So they are working out well for the poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

astradave wrote: »
    So you are effectively admitting that you think the football was better under Moyes and LVG..

I read that as previous season under jose..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

bangkok wrote: »

Sure you did.

I’m off to watch the boxing, g’night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭SScope

Does it matter? If we go at them and lose you can say it's Jose's/players fault, if we try and hit them on the counter and lose it'll be Jose's and players fault.

If we win you'll moan about we should've been playing whichever way we won after saying you're delighted with the result and crab walking the goalposts left it right. And we'll be 13pts behind and that won't be good enough.

See no matter what you'll win

Sure you did.

I’m off to watch the boxing, g’night

Obviously its better than moyes and van gaal.

Dont see much of a difference between this and last season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

bangkok wrote:

Moving the goalposts again

So I guess lingard hasn't improved under Jose or Matic,Lukaku and Bailly come in strengthened a poor squad

How far were we behind when he started and where are we now..

History doesn't give a fiddlers about hoe you play.. results are all that matters

Winners write the story

bangkok wrote: »
    Obviously its better than moyes and van gaal.

Dont see much of a difference between this and last season

Look you need to start looking at the bigger picture, you seem to be gauging the whole season off the bigger games, at the end of the day even our points against top 6 has improved a lot

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

DM_7 wrote: »
    Yet those comments get attention and decide the direction of the thread. So they are working out well for the poster.

Not from me. Not again. I'm learning from my mistakes. Reality is he's admitting now that no matter what happens, no matter what result we get, he's going to just go "what about sevilla, what about points, what about Hillary."

So, I'm agreeing with your posts, and am done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

pjohnson wrote: »
    This is a bit of context now for why "16 Points" is useless.

*Last year we gave up to focus on EL so not really relevant as we threw away a lot of points.

*The year before that (15/16) we finished 15 pts behind Leicester who won the league, I guess if its "16 points" thats the issue as you claim then you would say 15 points was an improvement? If its pts behind the leader that matters? However that season 15 points behind the winners translated into 5th place.

*In 14/15 we finished 17 pts behind league winners Chelsea this is "worse" than "16 points" yet this translated into 4th place.

So the year where we had the smallest gap to the league winners (Leicester - 15pts) translated into the WORST league position (5th). So that seems to show it to be a useless inconsistent metric to focus on. Unless you do think that was a better season? Do you now think that "pts behind" is superior to league position when determining a good season?

Also curiously I dont remember anyone last season claiming that our points gap was the unacceptable issue. It was generally the lower league position that was the problem. Now that we are in second place and people can no longer grumble over struggling to make the CL spots they have started grumbling over the points gap.

Yes our aim is the league, but as clubberlang pointed out there is no club that is near City. There is literally no title challengers this season yet its only certain United fans who have an issue with us specifically not challenging City.

We're the only other club that have spent a comparable amount of money to City since both clubs appointed multiple Champions League winning coaches in the same summer after finishing with the same number of points in the league that season. It's only logical that our progress would be compared with there's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

We're the only other club that have spent a comparable amount of money to City since both clubs appointed multiple Champions League winning coaches in the same summer after finishing with the same number of points in the league that season. It's only logical that our progress would be compared with there's.
    The net spend arguement will be wheeled out now

Fair play Astradave calling it again :)

I agree and it's fine to compare both.

Now when this comparison takes place is the state both clubs were in when the managers took over as I would feel that is a major factor league and point position.

Oh and spend/net spend argument is a load of balls

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Not from me. Not again. I'm learning from my mistakes. Reality is he's admitting now that no matter what happens, no matter what result we get, he's going to just go "what about sevilla, what about points, what about Hillary."

So, I'm agreeing with your posts, and am done.
    When he admitted he didnt care about league position was the breaking point for me. "Points behind" is the important thing.

Fair play Astradave calling it again :)

Yeah that valid reason for why we should be a lot closer than 16 points behind City is wheeled out again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Oh Zlatan

Yeah that valid reason for why we should be a lot closer than 16 points behind City is wheeled out again.

Would you be happier if we were 3rd/4th place then if we were only 9 or 10 points behind City then?

Or would you whinge its not 2nd?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Ibra is just the definition of a man for the big occasions, what a goal.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

We have had 5 very frustrating seasons, this season is as frustrating as any other to be honest based on the money we spent and the lack of joy watching the displays, the Mourinho factor promised just hasn't materialised and signs of the "circus " coming to the fore in recent weeks . That squad are better than their displays this season.

Would you be happier if we were 3rd/4th place then if we were only 9 or 10 points behind City then?

Or would you whinge its not 2nd?

It's always a negative alternative with you.

How about being 4 or 5 points behind City in 2nd place with 7 games to go? Or how about even being level or ahead of them? Imagine that.

It's always a negative alternative with you.

How about being 4 or 5 points behind City in 2nd place with 7 games to go? Or how about even being level or ahead of them? Imagine that.

So in that scenario 2 clubs will both need to go on record breaking seasons. Seems a realistic expectation. That once again fails to realise or understand what City are achieving this year.

Its the same pathetic criticisms everytime we win a match.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Just saw it.

Wow.

• Advertisement

Just saw it.

Wow.

He is gunna dominate that league.

For those who haven’t

https://streamable.com/wp3oo

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Oh Zlatan
    Just saw it.

Wow.

To use M!ck^'s favourite gif.

giphy.gif

Just saw it.

Wow.

He came on Galaxy 3-1 down. 2 minutes later 3-2, then that for 3-3 :) delighted for the lion

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

He’s just scored again in inj time 4-3.

FT 4-3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

For those who haven’t

i just watched that 8 times

So in that scenario 2 clubs will both need to go on record breaking seasons. Seems a realistic expectation. That once again fails to realise or understand what City are achieving this year.

Its the same pathetic criticisms everytime we win a match.

Maybe, but avoiding defeat to the likes of Huddersfield and Newcastle or dropping 6 points in a row to Leicester, Southampton and Burnley would be a good place to start. Hardly an unrealistic expectation is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Ibra doing what Ibra does best

What a player, I miss him already

eigrod wrote: »
    He’s just scored again in inj time 4-3.

FT 4-3

The Zlatan Effect in full swing :D

Maybe, but avoiding defeat to the likes of Huddersfield and Newcastle or dropping 6 points in a row to Leicester, Southampton and Burnley would be a good place to start. Hardly an unrealistic expectation is it?

So you think a team should go the whole season with 100% record versus teams outside the top 6 as a minimum requirement?

• Advertisement

So you think a team should go the whole season with 100% record versus teams outside the top 6 as a minimum requirement?

No, I never said that at all.

He's just that kind of guy. He is a winner.

No, I never said that at all.

So what were you saying is hardly an unrealistic expectation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

He is gunna dominate that league.

Textbook Smurf account. Should be banned.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Textbook Smurf account. Should be banned.

Dunno what your on about but Robbie Keane had a field day for years over there so dont think its unreasonable Zlatan (a significantly better player than Keane) will be brilliant over there.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Dunno what your on about but Robbie Keane had a field day for years over there so dont think its unreasonable Zlatan (a significantly better player than Keane) will be brilliant over there.

He's agreeing with you. Smurf account is a term in competitive gaming for high ranked players who make a second account then deliberately get ranked low so they can destroy lesser players.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    He's agreeing with you. Smurf account is a term in competitive gaming for high ranked players who make a second account then deliberately get ranked low so they can destroy lesser players.

Ah hadn't a notion. Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Have we a buy back clause for zlatan.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Just on the topic of where utd should be vs City and spend of the two managers. Its different than I thought.

Pep has bought a full 11

Ederson
    Walker
    Stones
    Laporte
    Mendy
    Gundogan
    Luiz
    Sane
    Bernado silva
    Nolita
    Jesus

Compared to mourinho

Lindelof
    Bailly
    Matic
    Pogba
    Mkhitaryan
    Sanchez
    Ibrahimovic
    Lukaku

Then when you take into account Lukaku was replacing Ibra and sachez was an opportunistic swap for miki so basically two less than that list then the fact that utd are performing as well as City isn't the huge indictment so make it out.

Pep has bought more than that and I'm stretching it a bit with the three behind the striker but point remains. He has bought enough to either start or provide competition all across the squad whereas mourinho is still filling out positions.

When you look at the inherited squads too I think that cities was ahead, kompany silva de bruyne Aguero all top players while we had some very promising youth and de Gea as standouts.

I wouldn't be criticising mourinho and utd for not delivering on their spending relative to city. I might criticise them for not spending enough on the squad but I'm not rushing to that yet, the squad and results are improving, I belive performances will when mourinho has enough of his own players.

Edit not correcting spelling and grammar.

• Advertisement

The answer will be but.... 16 pts, Sevilla or it's the 4 ply toilet paper. Any and every excuse bar the reality

SScope wrote: »
    The answer will be but.... 16 pts, Sevilla or it's the 4 ply toilet paper. Any and every excuse bar the reality

How are they excuses? The reality is we are 16 points behind City and were knocked out of the Champions league by a relatively weak side that we were well capable of beating. You and others may not think it's worth focusing on that but believe it or not, some fans do.

You still didn't answer my question from earlier in the thread.

When you look at both managers and the club/team situation when they arrived were the situations the same. And don't try and hide behind spend/net spend, it's bull****.

I'm happy to debate valid criticism but this ****e of we're awful, Jose is the devil view that some fans have is beyond a joke

Edited to address Sevilla, you know the gimme games were we had a divine right to progress in some eyes. They are a better side than I gave them credit for. And we've gone out of the competition earlier and to worse sides, some perspective is really needed by some

That relatively weak side are capable of matching anybody on their day (see tonight as evidence of that) though I agree we should have beaten them and it is obviously a disappointment. The constant bleating about how many points off a record setting team we are is just pointless static.

Pointing at another team who are having an almost perfect season and saying, yeah well we aren't doing well cause we are not as good as them is just ignorance. Willful ignorance I would add, it is plain as day the team has improved massively in the couple of years since Mourihno has come in and in any other season we would be very close to or top right now with the results achieved.

We are not as good as City this year? Great, that is an accepted point. Who is close to City this year? They are one of the most consistent teams in world football right now and fully deserve the league title that is on the way to them. Are we supposed to forget everything else because of that? **** progress, we are not as good as a team who who were in better shape than us and have spent more than us. Nothing else matters, lost a knock out game in a cup, **** the season so. Never happened before when we won every competition entered, never went out to the likes of Middlesborough after failing to score against them for 120 minutes, never got beat at home by Crystal Palace or by League One Leeds United, Coventry, Southend ****ing York City and don't even get me started on European games

The reality is we are 16 points behind City and out of the CL so there is obviously nothing to be positive about. Great.

SScope wrote: »
    You still didn't answer my question from earlier in the thread.

When you look at both managers and the club/team situation when they arrived were the situations the same. And don't try and hide behind spend/net spend, it's bull****.

I'm happy to debate valid criticism but this ****e of we're awful, Jose is the devil view that some fans have is beyond a joke

Edited to address Sevilla, you know the gimme games were we had a divine right to progress in some eyes. They are a better side than I gave them credit for. And we've gone out of the competition earlier and to worse sides, some perspective is really needed by some

What about players like pogba martial herrera rashford smalling mkhktarayan (gone now) lindelof who haave actually gotten worse as season has gone on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Ah hadn't a notion. Cheers!

Makes 2 of us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,387 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I wouldn't be criticising mourinho and utd for not delivering on their spending relative to city. I might criticise them for not spending enough on the squad

Truly hilarious. I mean how much money does he need exactly?

What about addressing some of my other points from today? I've addressed yours bangkok.

This is you all over, don't answer just crab walk left or right with the goalposts.

Is it 16pts, Seville or the players not progressing or all Jose?

<<<<<<<<<<left goes the goalpost
    >>>>>>>>>>right goes the goalpost
    I can't be wrong if I move them fast enough and never answer anything I'm asked.

See you can win every time with this method, well done you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Say if we had beat sevilla and got knocked out in the last 16, but were fighting for third/fourth place in the league, would people be so savage on this season were having now or what would the feeling be the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

"Paul is not enjoying life at Man United" Raiola stirring shít again...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...ba-United.html

For those who haven’t

Found my new happy place, thanks Dave. It looks like Zlatan found his too.

The US commentator, he just about stops short of shouting 'That keeper had a family'. Very Jim Ross-esque of him.

Here's Zlatan's second, the match-winner in injury time...

https://streamable.com/x0v0j

Him celebrating with the LA Galaxy players, does he even remember their names well at this early stage? "Great cross...man."

What a debut in fairness to him no matter what standard the league is at. As Jose said, it's a good place for him to enjoy his football for these final couple of years.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement