Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

https://i.redd.it/vq0bnbjrf6p01.jpg

Average formation of the team yesterday.

Old Trafford could pop some VIP seats up on the right flank and increase capacity, for all the use the players get out of it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Lord TSC wrote: »

Old Trafford could pop some VIP seats up on the right flank and increase capacity, for all the use the players get out of it....

Opening for right flank sponsorship. Ed to get on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Jaysus I knew Mata cut in but bloody hell

pjohnson wrote: »
    Jaysus I knew Mata cut in but bloody hell

You'd imagine one of Mata or Lingard should have been the equivlent position of Sanchez, but both just get dragged into the middle and get congested with each other.

Its an issue we've had for years though; very little comes from the right. It wouldn't be as bad if Valencia could do something either, but he really doesn't create anything.

I know RW isn't our priority this summer, but it is kind of frustrating. Goes back to what I was saying a few days back about possibly trading out Martial for a RW equivalent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Truly hilarious. I mean how much money does he need exactly?

Care to read the rest of the post and see if you can figure out the context of that?

It might be a bit long but I believe in you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Was nice to just have a ru of the mill victory.

Swansea were poison first half but we were good too. But played at our pace. Second half I think we just controlled it bar a few minutes and fair enough if there was some tired legs from the int break.

I was most interested in trying to spot if we were playing differently as Mourinho mentioned pre Brighton.

Pogba and Lindeloff were noticeably directing others to move forward or play forward and to do it fast. Was still slow and a bit pedestrian at times but could also have been context of the cakewalk of a first half.

But when we made chances it was coming from Pogba driving or playing forward quickly and everyone else moving and passing quickly. So I thought that was positive and good.

Hopefully it’s a sign of something continuing. Still think we look to congested in the middle in the final third but there was some nice interplay at times.

No poor individual performances, some good ones and all round just a comfy day.
    Here’s hoping Sanchez goal sparks a bit of confidence. Cause he was roped again yesterday at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ibra is something else. Miss him already.
    I can’t think of any other player that made such an impact for Utd on and off the pitch in less than two seasons he was here.

Throw his age into the equation and it’s truly astonishing.

Was showing my Mrs a video of the Galaxy goal and she asked why did we get rid of him? I said that he’s ancient in football terms and she then asked “how old is Rooney then? “ 5 years younger I said. She looked at me like I was drunk. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Appreciate the day that’s in it and all, but see stories of Martial heading out and us moving for Bale.

There’s one for fans. You can only keep one from the two who do you keep.

Martial or Rashford

TheDoc wrote: »

Swansea were poison first half but we were good too. But played at our pace. Second half I think we just controlled it bar a few minutes and fair enough if there was some tired legs from the int break.

I was most interested in trying to spot if we were playing differently as Mourinho mentioned pre Brighton.

Pogba and Lindeloff were noticeably directing others to move forward or play forward and to do it fast. Was still slow and a bit pedestrian at times but could also have been context of the cakewalk of a first half.

But when we made chances it was coming from Pogba driving or playing forward quickly and everyone else moving and passing quickly. So I thought that was positive and good.

Hopefully it’s a sign of something continuing. Still think we look to congested in the middle in the final third but there was some nice interplay at times.

Here’s hoping Sanchez goal sparks a bit of confidence. Cause he was roped again yesterday at times.

I was delighted how high we played up the pitch in the first half. Even had a high press hunting the ball down in the opposition half.

I was watching City again last night and I still think one of our main problems is the pace we actually pass the ball. They were zipping it around(as many other teams do) and it just naturally forces the tempo of play. I think too often we are too pedestrian in out passing and it leads to a lethargy that shouldn’t be there.

Of course there are other issues that need addrsssing but I think this pretty simple thing could help improve our performances no end. It would be like a snowball effect.

• Advertisement

Appreciate the day that’s in it and all, but see stories of Martial heading out and us moving for Bale.

Martial or Rashford

I’d keep Rashford if I had to pick.

Martial has all the talent in the world and I really thought he would go on to be a world star after his first season at Utd but I would question his attitude and commitment at the very top level. He still may come good and he’s calm as **** in front of goal but, Rashford I think is hugely talented too and has performed ona more consistent basis. His finishing is getting better and his pace is astonishing. He may not have the skill and tricks of Martial but I think his directness is more threatening than Martial and causes defenses way more problems than Martial.
    With Martial he may pick you apart and make a fool of you but he takes his time in gett8ng going when he has the ball so the defence is usually set.
    With Rashford I always feel the defenders are nervous and constantly thinking about him and his pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Didn’t see the match so can’t comment on yesterday but this is one of the reasons why you can’t have Pogba too high up the pitch, you take this away from his game, he is brilliant at taking the ball from the backs and turning and driving forward quickly or moving the ball on to the front 4 from deep.. he’s deadly at it.. now that’s not saying to play him as a DM, but more of a box to box

M!Ck^ wrote: »

I didn’t know Zerks had come back :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Martial or Rashford

Rashford

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

That was by design to get Mata, Lingard, Sanchez and Lukaku linking up central. Also so Sanchez could run at pace from wide left towards goal and let Mata or Lingard pass to him.

It worked so no need to move the unit to the other side of the pitch or mix up the plan.

I was glad to see Lukaku with bodies around him and balls going into his feet.

You'd imagine one of Mata or Lingard should have been the equivlent position of Sanchez, but both just get dragged into the middle and get congested with each other.

Its an issue we've had for years though; very little comes from the right. It wouldn't be as bad if Valencia could do something either, but he really doesn't create anything.

I know RW isn't our priority this summer, but it is kind of frustrating. Goes back to what I was saying a few days back about possibly trading out Martial for a RW equivalent.
    I really like Lingard in the #10 position this year and think hes far better there than on the wing. I'm just really suprised Mata was infield THAT often.

Martial or Rashford

Agree with Adox's response.

To add, I think the club would also rather keep the homegrown lad over the French guy too.

Rashford is United-bred and the type of player you'd see retiring here if given the chance. He's far easier to market as well.

SScope wrote: »
    What about addressing some of my other points from today? I've addressed yours bangkok.

This is you all over, don't answer just crab walk left or right with the goalposts.

Is it 16pts, Seville or the players not progressing or all Jose?

<<<<<<<<<<left goes the goalpost
    >>>>>>>>>>right goes the goalpost
    I can't be wrong if I move them fast enough and never answer anything I'm asked.

See you can win every time with this method, well done you

Its all of the above.

Our "performances" in the big games away under jose has been shocking.

There is a rift with Pogba that could see him sold in the summer.

Wouldnt be surprised if martial wanted out as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭SScope

Agreed

Right, so we've improved on the last 4 yrs but it's not enough got Ya. City improved and are having a freak season but it's all Jose's fault as his rebuilding job hasn't come good fast enough for you

You got a reliable source or you just quoting gutter journalists or is it your source that had Vidal signed sealed and delivered??

Again you have a reliable source or is it your grounds man friend from Carrington?

It's always whataboutery with you never anything else, you don't even have the good grace to say that any of it is your opinion it's all 100% fact with you. Worse than Rafa

• Advertisement

SScope wrote: »
    Agreed

Right, so we've improved on the last 4 yrs but it's not enough got Ya. City improved and are having a freak season

You got a reliable source or you just quoting gutter journalists or is it your source that had Vidal signed sealed and delivered??

Again you have a reliable source or is it your grounds man friend from Carrington?

It's always whataboutery with you never anything else, you don't even have the good grace to say that any of it is your opinion it's all 100% fact with you. Worse than Rafa

I said Pogba COULD be sold.

There is clearly a rift there. When mourinho was asked about his performance for france v russia he said i dont comment on international form. Would have been easier to say he had a good game and he hopes it continues for united.

When asked about pogbas gerneral form he just hit back saying you need to ask paul. It was very odd.

Martial has the potential to be world class and he wont get there while sitting on the bench. He was also unhappy last season when they took no9 jersey off him. If juve come calling i think he will move

Also yes it is my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

astradave wrote:
    I didn’t know Zerks had come back

I miss oul zerks

M!Ck^ wrote: »

He looks fit there. Pity José didn’t play him more often before he left!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

bangkok wrote: »
    I said Pogba COULD be sold.

There is clearly a rift there. When mourinho was asked about his performance for france v russia he said i dont comment on international form. Would have been easier to say he had a good game and he hopes it continues for united.

When asked about pogbas gerneral form he just hit back saying you need to ask paul. It was very odd.

Martial has the potential to be world class and he wont get there while sitting on the bench. He was also unhappy last season when they took no9 jersey off him. If juve come calling i think he will move

Also yes it is my opinion

Why would Jose give the papers any more fodder than they already have?

Just so they can twist his words and give more ammo to people like you?

It doesn't matter what he says about Pogba or anyone going forward, you and others like you will make it fit whichever stick you want to use to beat him with.

If he said something like "I hope it continues for United" you can bet your bottom dollar the red tops would be screaming JOSE QUESTIONS POGBAS ATTITUDE AND ASKS WHY HE DOESN'T PLAY FOR UNITED LIKE HE DOES FOR FRANCE!!!

Then you'd be in with a Twitter link from some bellpipe pulling him up for it.

When dealing with a certain type of people, particularly journalists, discretion is most often the better part of valour.

Question for the goal post movers...
    How have we performed relative to the defending champions? Relative to the other top four teams from last season??
    How have Jesse Lingard and Scott mctominay gotten on this season...
    how have Eric bailly, Nemanja magic and Romeu Lukaku integrated into the team?

You can focus on the negatives but accentuate the positives at the same time. Balance your opinions and people might try and have a discussion with you

Martial or Rashford

Keep Rashford, Martial looks disinterested any time I’ve watched him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

One thing i notice a lot which i don't like is how deep Pogba/Matic/central midfield come to take the ball off our centre halves. I would much prefer our the CB's to bring the ball forward further themselves. This leaves the likes of Pogba to be 15/20 yards further up the field, where he can be more effective. It also means our full back push up further with the defensive line, which in turn means our wide attacking players Rashford/Sanchez/Mata/Martial/Lingaard/etc can get closer to danger area's and get in behind oppositions lines better. It will also help Lukaku get players closer to him as he can be quite isolated. I can be often critical of Lukaku's control and touch, but he had a few very nice touches yesterday.

Granted i don't trust Smalling or Jones to be that ball carrying CB, but i definitely think it's in Lindelof's locker and Bailly seems to have a level of it in him too. It's one of the reasons i really hope Lindelof can adapt and settle to life in the Premiership.

brinty wrote: »
    How have we performed relative to the defending champions? Relative to the other top four teams from last season??

You can focus on the negatives but accentuate the positives at the same time. Balance your opinions and people might try and have a discussion with you

Yes, but Sevilla.....

One thing i notice a lot which i don't like is how deep Pogba/Matic/central midfield come to take the ball off our centre halves. I would much prefer our the CB's to bring the ball forward further themselves. This leaves the likes of Pogba to be 15/20 yards further up the field, where he can be more effective. It also means our full back push up further with the defensive line, which in turn means our wide attacking players Rashford/Sanchez/Mata/Martial/Lingaard/etc can get closer to danger area's and get in behind oppositions lines better. It will also help Lukaku get players closer to him as he can be quite isolated. I can be often critical of Lukaku's control and touch, but he had a few very nice touches yesterday.

Granted i don't trust Smalling or Jones to be that ball carrying CB, but i definitely think it's in Lindelof's locker and Bailly seems to have a level of it in him too. It's one of the reasons i really hope Lindelof can adapt and settle to life in the Premiership.

I think that was the general idea when we were buying Lindelof, he is definitely a ball playing CB and I think it was to have a partnership of him and Bailly, sort of like what we had with Rio/Vidic.. unfortunately Lindelof has taken a good while to settle into the team. His last few performances have been better though, and I seen it posted yesterday that he had a good game? Even look at Jose’s teams thru the years, he always has a ball playing CB in there.. I don’t think we have any that can do that with confidence at the moment.

Matic has been an excellent signing.

I said mctominay should have started long before it was a popular view. Remember saying he should have started v arsenal away and was told he was no where near good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

astradave wrote: »
    I think that was the general idea when we were buying Lindelof, he is definitely a ball playing CB and I think it was to have a partnership of him and Bailly, sort of like what we had with Rio/Vidic.. unfortunately Lindelof has taken a good while to settle into the team. His last few performances have been better though, and I seen it posted yesterday that he had a good game? Even look at Jose’s teams thru the years, he always has a ball playing CB in there.. I don’t think we have any that can do that with confidence at the moment.

I always feel that any player coming from a different league should be given their first season as an adapting period. Many players have stated how the pace and physicality of the game was completely different to what they had experienced. I remember Pires saying how that in European leagues you could mis-control the ball and have time to recover it, whereas in England, a slight hesitation or mis-timed touch and you had an opposition player at your heels. I recall Modric been slated in his first season, Vidic/Evra .....their first 6 months were questioned by many. Hopefully Lindelof can come good and I'd love to see a Lindelof/Bailly axis as our defensive core.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

zorro2566 wrote: »
    He looks fit there. Pity José didn’t play him more often before he left!

I'd say if Jose or Zlatan himself thought he was fit enough to continue being a big part of the United squad he would have stayed with us.

bangkok wrote: »
    Matic has been an excellent signing.

I said mctominay should have started long before it was a popular view. Remember saying he should have started v arsenal away and was told he was no where near good enough.

As usual you pick and chose what you answer.

Because you've no answer to the big questions.

Yes, but Sevilla.....

Good job i know your form TSC ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

The general consensus is that Jose had the team shut up shop in second half yesterday my question is if this is the case why are the defenders passing the ball around the back and then all of a sudden lindleoff takes off surging through the midfield with the ball and Jose is on the sidelines clapping him and encouraging him.

If lindleoff has the freedom to do that then why the fuk doesn't pogba do it more often?

Something seriously wrong with the mentality of the players as much as the manager in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

jayo26 wrote: »
    The general consensus is that Jose had the team shut up shop in second half yesterday my question is if this is the case why are the defenders passing the ball around the back and then all of a sudden lindleoff takes off surging through the midfield with the ball and Jose is on the sidelines clapping him and encouraging him.

If lindleoff has the freedom to do that then why the fuk doesn't pogba do it more often?

Something seriously wrong with the mentality of the players as much as the manager in my opinion.

Ya I'd agree with this. Its fairly clear there's issues with certain players and where there priorities and head is.

I still believe for years now the club has been missing a proper leader on the pitch. There's no one there to rally players when heads go down or when there not in the game.

We went from having a list of names you could claim would be leaders to having very few if any.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭Unicrons Dad

That relatively weak side are capable of matching anybody on their day (see tonight as evidence of that) though I agree we should have beaten them and it is obviously a disappointment. The constant bleating about how many points off a record setting team we are is just pointless static.

Pointing at another team who are having an almost perfect season and saying, yeah well we aren't doing well cause we are not as good as them is just ignorance. Willful ignorance I would add, it is plain as day the team has improved massively in the couple of years since Mourihno has come in and in any other season we would be very close to or top right now with the results achieved.

We are not as good as City this year? Great, that is an accepted point. Who is close to City this year? They are one of the most consistent teams in world football right now and fully deserve the league title that is on the way to them. Are we supposed to forget everything else because of that? **** progress, we are not as good as a team who who were in better shape than us and have spent more than us. Nothing else matters, lost a knock out game in a cup, **** the season so. Never happened before when we won every competition entered, never went out to the likes of Middlesborough after failing to score against them for 120 minutes, never got beat at home by Crystal Palace or by League One Leeds United, Coventry, Southend ****ing York City and don't even get me started on European games

The reality is we are 16 points behind City and out of the CL so there is obviously nothing to be positive about. Great.

It wasnt just being knocked out by seville it was the manner of the defeat. It was the most sterile anti football couldnt care less performance ive ever seen from a United side . I think we had 2 or 3 shots on target across both legs. Dont forget we were lucky to come out of the first leg without being beaten by 1 or 2 goals. This seville team are also quite poor . They arent the team they have been. Atletico madrid of all teams put 5 past them a few weeks ago

Ya I'd agree with this. Its fairly clear there's issues with certain players and where there priorities and head is.

I still believe for years now the club has been missing a proper leader on the pitch. There's no one there to rally players when heads go down or when there not in the game.

We went from having a list of names you could claim would be leaders to having very few if any.

Absolutely need more leaders I think lukaku and de gea have it and Bailly does but other then that no one else will raise there voice.

I think Valencia as captain is the biggest waste ever you may aswel give it to one of the ball boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

It wasnt just being knocked out by seville it was the manner of the defeat. It was the most sterile anti football couldnt care less performance ive ever seen from a United side . I think we had 2 or 3 shots on target across both legs. Dont forget we were lucky to come out of the first leg without being beaten by 1 or 2 goals. This seville team are also quite poor . They arent the team they have been. Atletico madrid of all teams put 5 past them a few weeks ago

Took a last minute goal from Messi to eke out a draw for Barca against Sevilla last night. They are good on their day. We were brutal though

The team 2nd in La Liga?? You tried to make it sound like they are the West Brom of Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Absolutely need more leaders I think lukaku and de gea have it and Bailly does but other then that no one else will raise there voice.

I think Valencia as captain is the biggest waste ever you may aswel give it to one of the ball boys.

Lukaku possibly Bailiy has the personality and drive but I think he needs to mature a bit to lead the players.

De Gea has been are stand out player the last few seasons he's just getting better and better as a keeper.

My main fault with him is he needs to find his voice more. He needs to command the defence and put them in there place when they **** up. I've seen a few examples this season alone when there was no communication two players going for same ball no calls been made etc etc.

• Advertisement

The team 2nd in La Liga?? You tried to make it sound like they are the West Brom of Spain.

Second is a crap position to be in this season.

Second is a crap position to be in this season.

Excellent point. How could I forget. 12pts behind Barca aswell they are hopeless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Excellent point. How could I forget. 12pts behind Barca aswell they are hopeless.

Look at the team's below them in fairness, load of nobodies.

Liam O wrote: »
    Look at the team's below them in fairness, load of nobodies.

Yea if we played heavy metal football and were third people would whine that we lacked defensive stability...
    if we’d a load of young lads in fourth we’d lack experience..
    etc
    Etc etc

People can revise all they want, but us going out to Sevilla that night and the manner of it was a disgrace.

People can revise all they want, but us going out to Sevilla that night and the manner of it was a disgrace.

I don’t think anyone is disputing that, it’s more one poster is using that to judge the whole season.

No one disagrees Stu
    I don’t think anyone is disputing that, it’s more one poster is using that to judge the whole season.

Well said Dave Ould pal. Any chance we just ignore said poster and add him to banned list..

No one disagrees Stu

Well said Dave Ould pal. Any chance we just ignore said poster and add him to banned list..

Fair enough lads, it honestly can be hard to tell lately.

I just saw some comments since yesterday which I thought was us trying to rewrite the events of that night.

Top 4 surely wrapped up now

• Advertisement

There is quite the difference in quality between Swansea and Sevilla of course. However, I think that if Jose sent out a line-up against Sevilla similar to yesterday's with that same attacking, non-direct intent of the first half, fans wouldn't have been as upset with a loss to Sevilla.

Anyway, I know I'm talking about it here but it was a topic of the last few pages. Overall, we need to move on. I don't mean us as a thread, I mean the United fanbase. Whether you want Jose out or not, we need to move on from Sevilla..

Fergie's team finished a very poor 3rd in the group stages in 2011-12 below Benfica and Basel. Then we got schooled across 2 legs by Bilbao when we dropped into the Europa knockout rounds.

Moyes' United made for a completely dejecting experience away to Olympiakos in 13/14. Going 2-0 down into the home tie at Old Trafford, we were going out in the last 16 but for some RVP magic in the form of a hattrick.

LVG left himself needing a win in Wolfsburg and a Hail Mary from Nick Powell to get out of a group which also featured CSKA and PSV in 2015/16. He still got from 1 to 3 months after that from the majority of the fanbase before there were overwhelming calls for his dismissal.

We've had utterly shíte nights in Europe across 4 managers now in this decade. There's some 'inheritance' and 'heritage' for you.

None of that changes the fact that Jose made a mistake against Sevilla, and even got it badly wrong, but that's what it was - a mistake. If we had subsequently went out of the FA Cup to Brighton, followed by a loss/draw to Swansea, there would be the concerning possibility that it would be more than a 'mistake'. I'm not seeing it though. If anything, the results surrounding the Sevilla defeat (Newcastle excepted) assure me that it was a mistake, and not a symptom of a far greater issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement