Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

bangkok wrote: »
    Top 4 surely wrapped up now

Should be yeah, impressive win by Spurs and Poch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Delighted with the Spurs result. Didn’t see 3 teams overtaking us anyway but nice to see Chelsea’s coffin nailed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Sure you can blame Jose for Chelsea's season.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

For the record, the Sevilla match made me angry. Probably more angry than I've ever been with JOse.

But it was in the days that followed that defeat that a few things registered.

1. I never expected us to progress past the next round. We went out a round earlier than we ought to, but only a round.
    2. I knew there was player issues since long before that match. I shouldn't have been shocked that those issues that have plagued us for years were present again. That's an issue I expect to be fully cleaned out this summer.
    3. I actually was annoyed we went out in the knockout stage of the CL.

To clarify, we've gone from struggling for top 4 year on year on year....to being comfortably second and getting angry at getting knocked out in the CL. Jose has risen expectations, like him or not. He's instilled back into the fans that we deserve to be 1st, winning literally every game. Where Moyes and LVG were constantly lowering the bar and failing to clear it, Jose has drastically lifted that bar in his two years with us. And it WILL be higher again next year too.

Meanwhile, last year we got 69 points in the league. We're at 68 with 7 games to go, currently.

I do appreciate issues with style of play, man management, etc. But the reality is there's been such a drastic improvement in everything since he came in, including style of play. Its still not brilliant, but its damn obvious he's moving us in the right direction.

This transfer window coming is probably going to be his biggest yet though, on multiple levels. Very, very curious to see how it goes....

Quotes from Pogba in an interview with French outlet Telefoot...

"It's true [being benched] has never happened to me, but it can strengthen me. You have to go through these periods to make you stronger.

"There is no problem with Mourinho. It's not me who picks the team. Ask the coach if you want to know why I play less. I respect his choices."

"It's too early to talk about a departure from United, the situation can change."

"Neymar? I said I dream of playing with him, Messi or Cristiano, but that doesn't mean that I want to move clubs."
    These quotes are positive but alone they mean little. However I've seen far too much evidence lately to leave me in no doubt that the relationship between Jose and Pogba is fine for what the club/team needs it to be.

Papers can write that Rui Faria is an intermediary between the two at this point, but I call bullshít on that kind of reporting.

We see Pogba congratulate Jose after the Liverpool win in an interview. We see Pogba on tunnel cam arrive to OT for the Brighton game (where he was benched) in good spirits. You see Jose on the touchline feverishly applauding Pogba a few yards away as Pogba uses a bit of skill to secure the ball against two Swansea players.

I just don't believe half the bullshít the papers are reporting. And of course, there is a world of stuff which goes on behind closed doors that I don't know about. Thing is though, I think many of these writers are in the same position as me in that respect, especially when it comes to Jose and Pogba.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Quotes from Pogba in an interview with French outlet Telefoot...

These quotes are positive but alone they mean little. However I've seen far too much evidence lately to leave me in no doubt that the relationship between Jose and Pogba is fine for what the club/team needs it to be.

Papers can write that Rui Faria is an intermediary between the two at this point, but I call bullshít on that kind of reporting.

We see Pogba congratulate Jose after the Liverpool win in an interview. We see Pogba on tunnel cam arrive to OT for the Brighton game (where he was benched) in good spirits. You see Jose on the touchline feverishly applauding Pogba a few yards away as Pogba uses a bit of skill to secure the ball against two Swansea players.

I just don't believe half the bullshít the papers are reporting. And of course, there is a world of stuff which goes on behind closed doors that I don't know about. Thing is though, I think many of these writers are in the same position as me in that respect, especially when it comes to Jose and Pogba.

It’s quite simple, drama sells.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,923 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Lord TSC wrote: »
    For the record, the Sevilla match made me angry. Probably more angry than I've ever been with JOse.

But it was in the days that followed that defeat that a few things registered.

1. I never expected us to progress past the next round. We went out a round earlier than we ought to, but only a round.
    2. I knew there was player issues since long before that match. I shouldn't have been shocked that those issues that have plagued us for years were present again. That's an issue I expect to be fully cleaned out this summer.
    3. I actually was annoyed we went out in the knockout stage of the CL.

To clarify, we've gone from struggling for top 4 year on year on year....to being comfortably second and getting angry at getting knocked out in the CL. Jose has risen expectations, like him or not. He's instilled back into the fans that we deserve to be 1st, winning literally every game. Where Moyes and LVG were constantly lowering the bar and failing to clear it, Jose has drastically lifted that bar in his two years with us. And it WILL be higher again next year too.

Meanwhile, last year we got 69 points in the league. We're at 68 with 7 games to go, currently.

I do appreciate issues with style of play, man management, etc. But the reality is there's been such a drastic improvement in everything since he came in, including style of play. Its still not brilliant, but its damn obvious he's moving us in the right direction.

This transfer window coming is probably going to be his biggest yet though, on multiple levels. Very, very curious to see how it goes....

Just about that 'we were going to get knocked out anyway', that seems to be popular enough with United fans. On that note, and I don't mean to put you on the spot Lordy (though I might suggest you for a peek later :pac:) would you have said that/taken the loss before kick-off against Sevilla?

For me, I just can't accept the 'we were going out anyway' as a main form of rationalisation for that night. If so, sure you could apply that other years we've been in the CL. Arguably, you could apply it to next season; We're likely not going to win it, so what's the point?

We might not win it most years we're in it, but there are still some great nights to be had in the latter rounds.

The second bolded part...

I've been critical about the style of play at times over the last few months, however it's very hard to deny that it can be the finest we've seen in the post Fergie years.

The kind of football which lead to many 4-0 results earlier this season, the kind of football which saw many chances created per game in the first 2/3s of last season even if we struggled to convert those chances, the kind of football the team played in the first half against Swansea yesterday. All of this and more is evidence to me that Jose's United teams can and do win pretty.

I guess that just makes it even more frustrating when we see the kind of football the team resorts to in games like at home to Sevilla. It's not that I fear that this is all Jose is capable of, it's that I know both he and even this squad of players are capable of more.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Just about that 'we were going to get knocked out anyway', that seems to be popular enough with United fans. On that note, and I don't mean to put you on the spot Lordy (though I might suggest you for a peek later ) would you have said that/taken the loss before kick-off against Sevilla?

Oh, probably not. It is utterly a rationalization to deal with the loss. I'm not trying to say it wasn't the low point of the season, and anyone who was around in the days that followed knows I was frustrated at that loss.

It's just trying to look at the entire season as a whole, taking a step back and trying to be cynically cold about it. It was a frustrating loss, but the reality is that the problems that were in that match were by and large ones which have existed through the entire season, and so shouldn't have been a big shock, sadly. I prefer to be "Glass half full" when it comes to football though; I watch soccer to get away from the annoyance of the real world. And the facts are that round the same time as that poor loss to Sevilla, we did get wins over Pool and Chelsea. Our league form is pretty good. As a season, as a whole, I'm happy with it. Not utterly ecstatic, but happy.

Now, could everyone get their bloody #FFAs in before Jose gets bandwagoned at the lynch by the wolves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I watch soccer to get away from the annoyance of the real world

Sometimes I venture out into the real world to get away from the annoyance of football :pac:

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »

I do appreciate a good joke and that is one.. remember Moyes after a few months in charge.. he aged 10/15 years

Sorry for multipost, seems like I’m the only one at home tonight :D nice to see Sanchez settling in well anyways, this is on his Instagram story, also has a pic of himself and Young titled “united family”

0fldn96xlbp01.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Going by that picture, he's the baby of the family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I thought Sanchez sits on his own because he has no friends now that zlatan is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

astradave wrote: »
    I do appreciate a good joke and that is one.. remember Moyes after a few months in charge.. he aged 10/15 years

I learned weed makes you smile more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Young seems to be central to the squad in terms of personality. Aside from his extremly passionate approach on the pitch, he is also the team DJ, taking over from a certain Patric Evra. I have a lot of lovr for Ashley Young.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Oh, probably not. It is utterly a rationalization to deal with the loss. I'm not trying to say it wasn't the low point of the season, and anyone who was around in the days that followed knows I was frustrated at that loss.

It's just trying to look at the entire season as a whole, taking a step back and trying to be cynically cold about it. It was a frustrating loss, but the reality is that the problems that were in that match were by and large ones which have existed through the entire season, and so shouldn't have been a big shock, sadly. I prefer to be "Glass half full" when it comes to football though; I watch soccer to get away from the annoyance of the real world. And the facts are that round the same time as that poor loss to Sevilla, we did get wins over Pool and Chelsea. Our league form is pretty good. As a season, as a whole, I'm happy with it. Not utterly ecstatic, but happy.

Now, could everyone get their bloody #FFAs in before Jose gets bandwagoned at the lynch by the wolves?

Yeah I do prefer the 'glass half full' approach myself, although sometimes while commenting on the quality of the glass and the liquid it contains. If the glass is half full of piss, well that can be different :pac:

Can't help but feel Jose is the convenient lynch for tonight, there are definitely wolves hiding among those putting the heat on him.

If anything, his comments lately scream to me NRV trying to attract the heat off more important/delicate villagers. Waste of a lynch IMO.

pjohnson wrote: »
    I learned weed makes you smile more

Its hard to smile when your counting out scoops of baby formula :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Its hard to smile when your counting out scoops of baby formula :(

I had plenty of a different kind of scoop over the weekend in Manchester. :)

Yeah I do prefer the 'glass half full' approach myself, although sometimes while commenting on the quality of the glass and the liquid it contains. If the glass is half full of piss, well that can be different :pac:

Can't help but feel Jose is the convenient lynch for tonight, there are definitely wolves hiding among those putting the heat on him.

If anything, his comments lately scream to me NRV trying to attract the heat off more important/delicate villagers. Waste of a lynch IMO.

Anyone who has watched Jose throughout his career knows that everything he says in the media is to take away criticism from the players, the media lap it up and make it all about Jose. He's done it right from his time at Porto. a lot of people believe the shîte he spews though and that is where most of the problems lie.

• Advertisement

I had plenty of a different kind of scoop over the weekend in Manchester. :)

Tetleys, Barrys or Lyons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

VW 1 wrote: »
    Young seems to be central to the squad in terms of personality. Aside from his extremly passionate approach on the pitch, he is also the team DJ, taking over from a certain Patric Evra. I have a lot of lovr for Ashley Young.

For me i think he's been one of the stand out peformers this season so far.

Brilliant to see sanchez finally get his goal and chip in with an assist.
    The front 3 of lingard, lukaku and sanchez looked bright with mata the orchestrator.
    Lindelof looking more comfortable in the jersey also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Mata is a class act. One of our best outfield players this year

Tetleys, Barrys or Lyons?

Lager,Lager,Lager.

Regarding the game, I doubt it was picked up on TV but at one stage you could see and hear Pogba roaring at Smalling to play the ball forward but instead, Smalling played it square,got it back and proceeded to play it back to De Gea.
    Even De Gea was going nuts by this carry on and gave those in front of him a few choice words.

Lager,Lager,Lager.

Regarding the game, I doubt it was picked up on TV but at one stage you could see and hear Pogba roaring at Smalling to play the ball forward but instead, Smalling played it square,got it back and proceeded to play it back to De Gea.
    Even De Gea was going nuts by this carry on and gave those in front of him a few choice words.

Same pal donno what ta fuk it's about even the manager was trying get them to move the ball forward.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Same pal donno what ta fuk it's about even the manager was trying get them to move the ball forward.

Confidence.. no confidence whatsoever in his own ballplaying ability..

Confidence.. no confidence whatsoever in his own ballplaying ability..

It just makes no sense it was the entire defence like not just one player they had no desire to do anything creative and even when de gea had the ball at his feet none of them showed any desire to take it from him so he had to hit it high to the midfield.

Anyone who has watched Jose throughout his career knows that everything he says in the media is to take away criticism from the players, the media lap it up and make it all about Jose. He's done it right from his time at Porto. a lot of people believe the shîte he spews though and that is where most of the problems lie.

I think you should play in the next game of Werewolf Dave :pac:

No doubt Jose can be the Great Deflector and does protect players with his post-match comments, but it's a hard method to pinpoint or predict.

Like, in the aftermath of the Sevilla game his comments certainly deflected from the players and left many United fans giving out about him. Deflection isn't always good, and I think he walked a very fine line (actually, went across it) with his comments after Sevilla.

Not you Dave, but I got the feeling that Jose could have blown his nose with the United jersey and there would have been some United fans saying 'Check out that deflection, what a pro...'.

Thing is though, a few days later in the aftermath of the Brighton game, he certainly wasn't that master of deflection. Never mind direct words about Luke Shaw and Tony Valencia, wasn't there also something about DDG and Matic being the only players he could trust? He didn't want to take away criticism from the players that day.

The way I see it is that maybe more than being a master of deflection, he's very good at picking his moments. He chose to take the heat in the aftermath of the Sevilla defeat with some very controversial comments because it's what was needed. At that point, his players still had an important FA Cup match coming up several days later and he wanted them focused on that and them not to get dragged through the media or too absorbed by the CL exit.

In the aftermath of the Brighton match, when those comments came against the players, Jose saw it as the perfect time to drop some truth bombs on the players because of the international break ahead. A perfect spell for his words to be reflected upon by the players. If it affected their mental attitudes for a week or so, so what? They are away on friendly duty for their countries.

Given how the team came out fighting in the first half against Swansea following that international break, I don't think those comments after the Brighton game or their timing did any harm.

Lager,Lager,Lager.

This.

There are times when the manager deserves criticism, then there are times when it is clearly obvious to me that despite him bearing responsibility for his team, there is just some real-time shít he can't control.

Like this kind of thing with Smalling. I said as much in the aftermath of the Sevilla defeat. Seething as I was with the manager, I highly doubted that Jose was instructing Chris Smalling to take 3/4 long, drawn-out strides each time he ran up to the ball to pass it sideways. Nor does Jose instruct him to take a second to turn his foot sideways before passing.

I'm not surprised Pogba was roaring for a bit of urgency or forward play from the back. As he demonstrated himself, it can be effective...

https://flixtc.com/w/3C6S7w3

Although there was some good luck involved in Lingard's (poor) pass to Sanchez, that was a well-worked team goal. The control and lay-off from Mata was key. We went from our DM territory to the net in 3 passes plus the finish.

How? Not by being overly cautious with slow sideways passing, waiting for the precise time to make a safe forward pass which won't surrender possession. The team did it by taking a few risks and moving the ball forward quickly.

The thing is though, it's not ideal to have Pogba dropping that deep to make something happen. Our CBs can be far too cautious, or just inept, when it comes to playing a creative forward pass and I hope that's something which Jose will address this Summer.

• Advertisement

I think you should play in the next game of Werewolf Dave :pac:

I tried follow a game of that, that was going on before,to see what it was all about and I was so lost :pac: I wouldn’t have the time or patience for it :D

I also don’t know whether this quote is a good or bad thing haha

I tried follow a game of that, that was going on before,to see what it was all about and I was so lost :pac: I wouldn’t have the time or patience for it :D

I also don’t know whether this quote is a good or bad thing haha

A lot of bandwagoning goes on in that place to be honest ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭Unicrons Dad

pjohnson wrote: »
    It wasnt just being knocked out by seville it was the manner of the defeat. It was the most sterile anti football couldnt care less performance ive ever seen from a United side . I think we had 2 or 3 shots on target across both legs.  Dont forget we were lucky to come out of the first leg without being  beaten by 1 or 2 goals. This seville team are also quite poor . They arent the team they have been. Atletico madrid of all teams put 5 past them a few weeks ago

The team 2nd in La Liga?? You tried to make it sound like they are the West Brom of Spain.
    Well if you knew your football you'd know why I said it. AM are one of the lowest scoring top teams in Europe, they have only scored 50 goals in 30 games this year. They are where they are in Spain due to their tightness at the back and aren't renowned for scoring loads of goals

Just looking there city play liverpool this wed night and again on tuesday so they may be tempted to rest a few players against us on saturday, could be good for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Just looking there city play liverpool this wed night and again on tuesday so they may be tempted to rest a few players against us on saturday, could be good for us

Think Pep has already said he is prioritizing the CL games. Could be some spoofing there but if they have a bad result this Wednesday he'd be mad not to rest players against United.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Hopefully we can avoid defeat against City next week. They are playing away to Spurs the following weekend. It would be interesting to see how Spurs handle them when they still have something to play for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

I’ve always wondered why the Premier League schedule big games like that in between champions league weeks. Liverpool, Man Utd, Liverpool, Spurs is some ask, even for a team like Man City.

I’ve always wondered why the Premier League schedule big games like that in between champions league weeks. Liverpool, Man Utd, Liverpool, Spurs is some ask, even for a team like Man City.

Luck of the draw. Fixtures are all done out at start of the season.

Yep imagine if they start picking when the top clubs play each other because of champions league what's to stop the bottom teams for demanding that relegation matches are scheduled too they are probably even bigger games for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Luck of the draw. Fixtures are all done out at start of the season.

There is a lot of manipulation of it though. I’d say games are in different categories of importance and can’t be drawn on certain dates. Like you never see big derby games on the first day of the season and I think Boxing Day fixtures are hand picked for the most part.

i think for the QF of the CL when the two games are on in the space of a week they could make it easier for the clubs in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

There is a lot of manipulation of it though. I’d say games are in different categories of importance and can’t be drawn on certain dates. Like you never see big derby games on the first day of the season and I think Boxing Day fixtures are hand picked for the most part.

i think for the QF of the CL when the two games are on in the space of a week they could make it easier for the clubs in Europe.

Yeah I remember reading about the fixture list a few years ago. It’s definitely not random and as far as I remember clubs can suggest/request when they want some fixtures to be played. It’s a complicated process from what I remember reading.

• Advertisement

its a complex system, but as far as i know the way the games are generated you could play one of the big teams on opening day. We started at home to spurs a few years ago under van gaal, and season 13/14 our first 5 games included liverpool, city and chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,923 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Castles, in the ST, is saying that Jose wants a new back line & is targeting Umtiti. He also says that Jose has said he thinks that Shaw will stay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭Unicrons Dad

Yep imagine if they start picking when the top clubs play each other because of champions league what's to stop the bottom teams for demanding that relegation matches are scheduled too they are probably even bigger games for them.
    How could you schedule  teams fighting relegation at the start of a season when its unknown who will actually be fighting relegation until near the end of the season. Would Southampton have been one of the teams in your mind to be fighting relegation at the start of this season?

Discodog wrote: »
    Castles, in the ST, is saying that Jose wants a new back line & is targeting Umtiti. He also says that Jose has said he thinks that Shaw will stay.

I saw that,a lot is behind a paywall but it looks like Smalling and Jones will be gone. Everton have been reported to be looking at Smalling as a potential signing.
    When you think of it,our 2 first choice full backs are over 30 and converted wingers.
    Bit by bit,Jose is bringing down the age profile of the team so even if he did leave after next season the club would be in a better place than when he joined.

I'd say one factor considered would be the resources. Wasn't there some issue this year with Tottenham playing Arsenal (? It was another London team for sure anyway if not the Gunners) being affected due to Police having security concerns?

I saw that,a lot is behind a paywall but it looks like Smalling and Jones will be gone. Everton have been reported to be looking at Smalling as a potential signing.
    When you think of it,our 2 first choice full backs are over 30 and converted wingers.
    Bit by bit,Jose is bringing down the age profile of the team so even if he did leave after next season the club would be in a better place than when he joined.

If both English lads are gone I would much much prefer we move for Lascelles instead of Umtiti, who I dont think wants to leave Barca anyway.

How could you schedule  teams fighting relegation at the start of a season when its unknown who will actually be fighting relegation until near the end of the season. Would Southampton have been one of the teams in your mind to be fighting relegation at the start of this season?

You can't I didn't say you could? But what's to stop them teams for asking for fixtures to be changed around if they are organizing fixtures around teams that progress in Europe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

You can't I didn't say you could? But what's to stop them teams for asking for fixtures to be changed around if they are organizing fixtures around teams that progress in Europe.

CL dates are known when the PL fixtures are drawn up. Simply don't have derbys for CL teams or games against other top 6 teams fixed for the weekends between the quarter and semi finals when the seasons fixtures are set. No need to change any fixtures if you plan ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I'd be hugely surprised if we swapped any of our Centr backs this summer.

In the grand scheme of things it's a low priority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

beno619 wrote: »
    I'd be hugely surprised if we swapped any of our Centr backs this summer.

In the grand scheme of things it's a low priority.

Way too much noise recently for a new CB not to be a massive priority this summer. 1 CB,RB,2 CM and maybe a LB is what I'd expect

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement