Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

astradave wrote: »
    I tried follow a game of that, that was going on before,to see what it was all about and I was so lost :pac: I wouldn’t have the time or patience for it :D

I also don’t know whether this quote is a good or bad thing haha

I meant it in a good way Dave!

Yeah, that game is a real time-sucker and schedule-pusher. You could miss it for one morning and afternoon to then come back and see 1,000 posts to catch up with. Although, you do get used to flying through the 'fluff' posts which there can be many of.

Jayop brought the game to Boards afaik and is part responsible for a good community over there. I find it a great place to unwind and talk some serious shíte, which is why I was surprised Jayo26 didn't take to it after trying it that one time :pac:

Anyway, United related...

*hops over to r/reddevils in search of something Cantona's Collar didn't post yet*

Ah yes, some Herrera comments...
    ”I have already played more than 150 games for this club and I want to keep adding games and trying to play as well as possible because one day when I retire from football, I will say I had the chance to play for the greatest club in England.”
    It's around this time last year when he put in a great performance against Chelsea. Damn, what happened to that Herrera? Anyway, crazy prediction for the weekend...

Herrera to return to the starting 11 to put in his best performance for United yet. Busying himself all over the field, he will have a third pocket sewn onto his shorts so that he has room for Silva, DeBruyne and Sterling in each of them. The away fans will chant his name upon the final whistle as we bask/basque in the glory of a beautiful 0-0 result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

pjohnson wrote: »
    If both English lads are gone I would much much prefer we move for Lascelles instead of Umtiti, who I dont think wants to leave Barca anyway.

That’s a pretty good shout. Very impressive character, old school leader about him and a pretty good CB too.

If it was the 90s Fergie definitely would have signed him this coming summer. And I mean that in a way of how we used to just grab the best domestic players. Not that the player is from a bygone era.

Just as I saw it referenced. Smalling is so frustrating on the ball. Awkward, slow and safe. If Jose is pushing for faster transitions he won’t last long. Lindeloff was much better at it.

And he has been improving gradually, somewhat low key. Hopefully next season can really step up and be comfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Appears to be valued at around £30 million which sounds like good business to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

TheDoc wrote: »
    That’s a pretty good shout. Very impressive character, old school leader about him and a pretty good CB too.

If it was the 90s Fergie definitely would have signed him this coming summer. And I mean that in a way of how we used to just grab the best domestic players. Not that the player is from a bygone era.

Not even the 90's. He did it his whole career with us really sure Smalling and Jones themselves only came from Fulham and Blackburn. I'd really prefer we start using that model again rather than "big" names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Personally I hope we push for Alderweirald.. best CB in the league imo, not getting a game now as he is stalling on a contract with spurs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Personally I hope we push for Alderweirald.. best CB in the league imo, not getting a game now as he is stalling on a contract with spurs

And has a strikingly low release clause next year too, right? I saw talk that Spurs would take 40m for him if they have to release him.

I'm a fan of his too, especially now that I can pronounce his name effortlessly.

Was it Juve he was/is reportedly destined for?

Alderweirald just turned 29 in March, he still could have 3-4 quality seasons left in him. I wouldn't mind seeing him brought in this Summer if his days are in fact done at Spurs..

Plus, he can be Poch's Mata when Poch arrives at OT in Summer 2020 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

When does Alderweiralds reduced buyout clause kick in? After the summer?

It would be nice if Baily and Lindelof developed a partnership that Jose was happy with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

S.M.B. wrote: »
    When does Alderweiralds reduced buyout clause kick in? After the summer?

It would be nice if Baily and Lindelof developed a partnership that Jose was happy with.

not until next year and thats only is spurs trigger the one year extension, if they do give him a one year contract he can be signed for 25m. he would be 30 then though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭caviardreams

beno619 wrote: »
    I'd be hugely surprised if we swapped any of our Centr backs this summer.

In the grand scheme of things it's a low priority.

I actually think that without De Gea bailing us out regularly our defensive record would be much poorer - his brilliance has papered over our defensive cracks a lot of the time in my opinion, and it is a area we definitely need to improve. Ideally Bailly, Lindelof and a new addition could rotate at CB depending on injuries/fixture congestion etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

If Rojo can get back to full fitness it'd be ideal. The problem with Bailly and Lindelof is that they are both fairly right footed. I've actually been quite impressed with Lindelof a good few times this season and really seems to have the potential to be a great CB with a bit of development.

Just so long as Smalling is upgraded this Summer I'd be happy. Absolutely sick of him ambling around with the ball at the back. Also chickens out of a lot of tackles, giving the opponent the opportunity to get the ball under control and do what they want. Great in the air though it must be said so would suit a lot of teams lower in the table.

Liam O wrote: »
    If Rojo can get back to full fitness it'd be ideal. The problem with Bailly and Lindelof is that they are both fairly right footed. I've actually been quite impressed with Lindelof a good few times this season and really seems to have the potential to be a great CB with a bit of development.

Just so long as Smalling is upgraded this Summer I'd be happy. Absolutely sick of him ambling around with the ball at the back. Also chickens out of a lot of tackles, giving the opponent the opportunity to get the ball under control and do what they want. Great in the air though it must be said so would suit a lot of teams lower in the table.

I don’t agree that Rojo would be ideal, we need a proper ball playing CB that will move the ball on quick and accurately, Rojo tends to be a more hit and hope fella, that’s not taking away from his defensive ability

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Talk that De Gea will sign a 5 year deal with United for £350,000 a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

RobertKK wrote: »
    Talk that De Gea will sign a 5 year deal with United for £350,000 a week.

Yeah reported by the Sun and 90 minutes lol.

The express are saying we are using him as part of a swap deal so you have two sh1t sources saying different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

jayo26 wrote: »
    Yeah reported by the Sun and 90 minutes lol.

The express are saying we are using him as part of a swap deal so you have two sh1t sources saying different things.

Daniel Cutts from the Sun, not exactly Neil Custis...

• Advertisement

Not exactly reliable either but hey hope he is right.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43608487

Pep Guardiola will "focus on the Champions League" when selecting his Manchester City team to play Manchester United on Saturday, despite knowing a win will seal the Premier League title.

City play United at the Etihad Stadium in between the two legs of the Champions League quarter-final against Liverpool.

"For the line-up we have to think about the Champions League," Guardiola said.

"We are going to adapt in the game against United."

Scenes when we lose to City's B team :P

Though if we win, there'll be some salty tears from our neighbours battling for second....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Lord TSC wrote: »

Pep Guardiola will "focus on the Champions League" when selecting his Manchester City team to play Manchester United on Saturday, despite knowing a win will seal the Premier League title.

City play United at the Etihad Stadium in between the two legs of the Champions League quarter-final against Liverpool.

Though if we win, there'll be some salty tears from our neighbours battling for second....

First team or second doesn’t matter a win is a win. They’ve spent £500 million under pep.. surely they should have a squad capable of competing

I hope pool batter the heads off them if that’s his attitude.

Fergie rotated in 99 but we didn’t lose once after Christmas on the way to the treble.. that’s how you become legendary

Pure carnage, there will be blood.

So, let's get our own story straight nice and early...

United have only 14 days between the derby and the all-important FA Cup semi-final, 8 days if you count them like Jose does in his pressers :D

We more or less have 2nd sewn up, and if we don't it won't be the derby which decides it for us. There is absolutely nothing in this game for United, nothing at all.

I would expect Jose to send out a line-up to reflect this. If anything, it's a waste of Jose's time showing up himself. Remember the way he used to leave Steve Clarke in charge for Chelsea's League Cup games? Yes, something like that, just leave it to Rui Faria and Michael Carrick on Saturday.

Nothing in this game at all for us, I absolutely do not care what the result is...no sir. If we lose, meh, never wanted to win it anyway.

So, that oughta do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Well if you knew your football you'd know why I said it. AM are one of the lowest scoring top teams in Europe, they have only scored 50 goals in 30 games this year. They are where they are in Spain due to their tightness at the back and aren't renowned for scoring loads of goals

Yup who also were 2 up against the mighty Barcelona and Drew 2 all with an 88th and 89th minute dtrikes. Sevilla are a very good team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-barcelona-target-toby-12293616

£25 million buyout clause to kick in next year for Alderweireld. The article doesn't elaborate but there seems to be something in his contract which effects that clause depending on the timing of his potentially leaving Spurs.

He went big with it and it didn't even make the hard copy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Love to sign Alderwield. Cracking player. There’s a few at Spurs I’d like actually.

Slightly off topic but did anyone here see the team of the season picked by the Sunday supplement? Thank god I don’t pay Sky for the sports as this kinda rubbish is embarrassing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

What was the team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

bangkok wrote: »

In China, can’t open that. Just like to know the bad selections really, not the whole team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Love to sign Alderwield. Cracking player. There’s a few at Spurs I’d like actually.

Slightly off topic but did anyone here see the team of the season picked by the Sunday supplement? Thank god I don’t pay Sky for the sports as this kinda rubbish is embarrassing

What do you think is wrong with it?

I'd have a few changes but can't really argue with most of the inclusions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

TitianGerm wrote: »
    What do you think is wrong with it?

I'd have a few changes but can't really argue with most of the inclusions.

Most of it looks fine but Stones has barely played and Robertson is a strange inclusion.

Johner wrote: »
    Most of it looks fine but Stones has barely played and Robertson is a strange inclusion.

Mate it was even worse one of them wanted to put Bailly in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Johner wrote: »

Robertson has been excellent since breaking into the Liverpool team and the only other I could think of was Davies so was a toss up for me.

I wouldn't have had Stones either and probably would have included Tawaroswiki (or however you spell it).

I also might have left Ferndinho out and put Dacoure/Matic in there but it's a tough call.

• Advertisement

Not sure what the issues are, it's actually a pretty good one. The only contentious pick there for me is John Stones.

The two CB’s are the problem area, would easily have Otamendi and Tarkowski in there ahead of them by a mile. Robertson while he didn’t play much at the start, I think he only has 18 matches, there really isn’t another LB that would go in there. Since he has broken into the pool team he has been a model of consistency.. Davis and maybe Young would be next, Alonso has been poor enough, Monreal ****e, and that’s just from the top teams

Former Reds defender Stephen Warnock told BBC Five Live: “The only thing I would say is years ago when I was at Villa we were playing Man Utd.

“David de Gea was in goal and having a bit of a tough time.

“I turned to Wayne Rooney and said ‘what is he like?’ and he said ‘he’s unbelievable. He’ll be the best in the world one day’.

The rest of the stuff is click bait nonsense comparing Karius to De Gea.
    The man bun would be as near as it gets.

The John Stones inclusion! It’s mental! Doesn’t even get a game at his club. I’d also go Son over Sane but that’s at least a debate. Stones is just laughable

The John Stones inclusion! It’s mental! Doesn’t even get a game at his club. I’d also go Son over Sane but that’s at least a debate. Stones is just laughable

The only reasons I could think of is that they thought “hang on we only have 2 English players, we need to add someone else in.”

Go with Sterling over Sane so. Just a mental decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

It's the most 'Sunday Supplement' a team of the season could be, which makes it completely unsurprising.

Go with Sterling over Sane so. Just a mental decision

While both have been brilliant, sane is the better player for me and has been better in the bigger games. A future ballon dor winner in the making

bangkok wrote: »
    While both have been brilliant, sane is the better player for me and has been better in the bigger games.

And they both play in different positions, it would be unfair on Sane to lose his spot just to fit a second Right sided player onto the left

• Advertisement

And Sane has been pretty much the best inside left in the league all season.

Guess it just goes to show that it's subjective opinion that causes the controversy in these team of the years. I'm only catching up on my pods today and I'm only through the first segment of Sunday supp (always interesting with Custis on) so I kinda expected to see ludicrous inclusions, but it's a pretty sensible objective team bar John Stones, where Holt has let his bias creep in there, hes a massive Stones fanboy.

My personal bias would be taking Erikkson over Silva in that lineup, which I'm sure plenty would disagree with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

One more Utd player in the team picked by football journo's from The Mail, the S** and The Times than The Guardian's PL team of the year ;)

One more Utd player in the team picked by football journo's from The Mail, the S** and The Times than The Guardian's PL team of the year ;)

Maybe you missed he is talking about the Stones inclusion, you really should read on before trying to have a dig, as it comes across pretty petty on your part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Maybe you missed he is talking about the Stones inclusion, you really should read on before trying to have a dig, as it comes across pretty petty on your part

Thought I'd try the Bangkok two step he was hung, drawn and quartered for on here recently.

Seems to work a treat :p

Thought I'd try the Bangkok two step he was hung, drawn and quartered for on here recently.

Seems to work a treat :p

I never miss anything :pac:

Roll on tonight for another meltdown when Bayern hockey Sevilla :D

• Advertisement

In fairness Mac could be spot on.

Just get hyper defensive with criticism against Oliver Holt as he is my beacon of acceptability for having smashing long hair at that age and that many greys

TheDoc wrote: »
    In fairness Mac could be spot on.

Just get hyper defensive with criticism against Oliver Holt as he is my beacon of acceptability for having smashing long hair at that age and that many greys

Are you sure it’s not due to a mutual hatred for a certain Football manager :p

Despite an injury, Bouhfasi is saying we are planing to bid €30m for Ghoulam of Napoli.

What a goal from Ronaldo

Despite an injury, Bouhfasi is saying we are planing to bid €30m for Ghoulam of Napoli.

With Bouhafsi saying it, on a day when there is plenty of football to report on, I’d be inclined to believe we have made contact anyways. Cracking player on his day.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement