Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Sounds like he needs to read up on the 'Love Glove'

Just living up to the last line of his song.

bbRFYzf.png?1

I know what you mean Adam, but I got a kick out of this. As if the City lads all suffer from male infertility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

bangkok wrote: »
    Salah also cuts inside onto his left, everytime, he is the same as mata who plays on our right only he is much quicker and more devastating.
    Salah makes bursting cross field runs and basically plays as a wide striker most of the time. Nothing like Mata who is more intricate and technical.

Players actually seem to tackle Mata as well which they seem afraid to do with Salah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Immortalised on imgur... woop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

astradave wrote: »

you de man Dave..... ;)

That's only the start of it Dave. I'm also posting it on various Liverpool and City fansites under the 'check out these bitter United fans, lol' guise.

It's currently the number 4 most upvoted post on r/LiverpoolFC where my name is u/Hamannbul2005.

Not really though. Just messin with ya.

It's not even on their frontpage ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

City sign a deal with Tinder, thought we were going to be sponsored by them, must have been a change of heart somewhere

City sign a deal with Tinder, thought we were going to be sponsored by them, must have been a change of heart somewhere

Will they swipe left if Pep doesn't deliver the coveted Champions league this season....

£500m+ investment in 18 months and an RoI of a league cup and one premier league title...

Will be actually interesting to see who we put there, I’m sure woody has something up his sleeve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

They'd do anything to try and fill the Emptyhad.

• Advertisement

Will be actually interesting to see who we put there, I’m sure woody has something up his sleeve

I'm sure a few people on Tinder and at citeh would love a bit of Woody ;)

Joking aside, obviously Tinder couldn't decide which sleeve they like to be...

brinty wrote: »
    Will they swipe left if Pep doesn't deliver the coveted Champions league this season....

£500m+ investment in 18 months and an RoI of a league cup and one premier league title...

They have never won a champions league in their history, hardest trophy to win in club football.

One premier league title and the foundations to dominate english football for the next 5 years. Even though i dont like pep be has done a fantastic job

They have never won a champions league in their history, hardest trophy to win in club football.

One premier league title and the foundations to dominate english football for the next 5 years. Even though i dont like pep be has done a fantastic job

Don't mean to be a dunphy clone but he's spent a lot of money and his defence is still rubbish..found out in their biggest game of the season..

Spent 50m+ on Laporte and played him left back last night.. 50m on Stones and he was benched for Kompany and Otamendi..

He has done about the minimum required for him when taking the job from a results standpoint

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Champions League, "the hardest trophy to win in club football"?

Real Madrid would beg to differ with you...

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Don't mean to be a dunphy clone but he's spent a lot of money and his defence is still rubbish..found out in their biggest game of the season..

Spent 50m+ on Laporte and played him left back last night.. 50m on Stones and he was benched for Kompany and Otamendi..

Pep inherited a squad that had way more invested in it over the previous 7 years, had just made it to the champions league semi finals , had a better record in the league over the previous three seasons (including winning the league)and he’s received 30% more funds to purchase players.

But some fans expect more because ... well.... they just do..... Jose has done a very good job and the club is going places... Some people will mostly focus on the negatives (performances) but it’s a squad rebuild and not comparable with Peps resources.

You sound like dunphy saying that. They have the best defence in the league!!!

Laporte only played there as Mendy is out for the season. Stones is just back from concussion Kompany is one of the best centre backs in europe and otamendi is having a great season.

See how we get on against this 'rubbish defence' on saturday..

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Champions League, "the hardest trophy to win in club football"?

Real Madrid would beg to differ with you...

:P

RONALDO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

RONALDO

Well I didn't know Ronaldo had become an entire football team :pac:

Whatever about the foundations to dominate English football for the next 5 years, by May Pep will have achieved about as much as Mancini or Pellegrini did. They won the league and a domestic trophy or two with City also.

No denying that Pep's City have played the better football out of those managers and his team have set a few records, but Pep wasn't brought in to just lead Man City to another league title or league cup. There are quite a few managers out there who could have done that. Pep was brought in to succeed where Mancini and Pellegrini failed, Europe, and to push the club onto that next level.

City have been great this season, but Pep has completely failed on the European front so far. By Pep's own standards and the the Sheikh's ambition, a QF CL exit to a team who are 18 points behind them in the domestic league (21 if City win their game in hand) won't be considered a fantastic job.

That said, they are not out of Europe at the QF stage just yet, anything could happen at the Ethiad next Tuesday. But as it stands, Pep is on course to achieve the bare minimum that his 'inferior' predecessors set as a standard at a time when those managers had less investment than Pep. Arguably those managers also won the league in more competitive seasons. IMO, that is certainly the case for Mancini in 2011/12 anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I honestly think Otemendi is a really poor defender. Kompany was great but is past it. Walkers defending was always the weakest part of his game.

Just because they have conceded the least goals or “best defence” doesn’t mean the def nice is very good or indeed the best. I thought Peps Barcelona had plenty of poor defenders too, a mediocre goal keeper also. It was just they were so good at keeping possession and winning it back high up the pitch that the defence very rarely had to do any traditional defending like defending their box etc.

Whatever about the foundations to dominate English football for the next 5 years, by May Pep will have achieved about as much as Mancini or Pellegrini did. They won the league and a domestic trophy or two with City also.

No denying that Pep's City have played the better football out of those managers and his team have set a few records, but Pep wasn't brought in to just lead Man City to another league title or league cup. There are quite a few managers out there who could have done that. Pep was brought in to succeed where Mancini and Pellegrini failed, Europe, and to push the club onto that next level.

City have been great this season, but Pep has completely failed on the European front so far. By Pep's own standards and the the Sheikh's ambition, a QF CL exit to a team who are 18 points behind them in the domestic league (21 if City win their game in hand) won't be considered a fantastic job.

That said, they are not out of Europe at the QF stage just yet, anything could happen at the Ethiad next Tuesday. But as it stands, Pep is on course to achieve the bare minimum that his 'inferior' predecessors set as a standard at a time when those managers had less investment than Pep. Arguably those managers also won the league in more competitive seasons. IMO, that is certainly the case for Mancini in 2011/12 anyway.

Winning a premier league title would hardly be considered the bare minimum?! Top 4 surely and team progress i would have though.

On utd, what do you think jose bare minimum was this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ah now

You sound like dunphy saying that. They have the best defence in the league!!!

Laporte only played there as Mendy is out for the season. Stones is just back from concussion Kompany is one of the best centre backs in europe and otamendi is having a great season.

See how we get on against this 'rubbish defence' on saturday..

Just on Laporte last night, I said before the match that he should not be deployed out there, they had Delph and Danilo fit and thought Danilo would have been the better option, Salah will cut in every time and That’s playing onto Laportes weak foot, Danilo would have been naturally able to compete on that side.. a big balls up by Pep imo

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    Ah now

“I don’t like you.....

I LOVE YOU!!!!”

pjohnson wrote: »
    Ah now

Cannot stand him, i like klopp though as a manager/person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Cannot stand him, i like klopp though as a manager/person

okp66_FD.gif

Winning a premier league title would hardly be considered the bare minimum?! Top 4 surely and team progress i would have though.

On utd, what do you think jose bare minimum was this season?

In fairness, I explained in the post you quoted why Pep winning a PL title once out of two seasons with City should be the bare minimum at this stage of the City project. I wouldn't apply that to any other team in the Top 4 at the moment, let alone United, as each club are different and the context (heritage/inheritance) will be different.

Pep came into a club where managers were winning the PL and domestic trophies, managers who oversaw a steady build of progress and investment for City. Yet this still wasn't enough for the owners, they want a CL title for their years of investment and domestic success. So here is Pep just doing the same as Mancini and Pellegrini (admittedly with a bit more style and dominance in the league) and I imagine that as impressive as the football has been, the owners (even Pep himself) will demand far more than the odd league/domestic title for City.

Jose came into a club where the two managers before him took the club further and further away from where it should be. By the time Jose came in, there had been 3 other team's names put on the PL trophy, and we had finished outside the Top 4 in 2/3 seasons before he came in.

Jose and Pep might have both arrived in Manchester at the same time, but that's where the similarities end. Both of them were walking into two very different projects at very different stages of progress.

Pep arrived at City to a state of progress already underway. Jose came in to United while there was a serious state of regress underway for years at that stage. Their bare minimums for the first season and even this season are completely different.

Not sure how it matters at all in relation to my point (Pep's City have underachieved in Europe for what's expected of him) but Jose's bare minimum for this season is more or less what we're seeing now IMO. That last 16 exit to Sevilla was not right, but we're a comfortable 2nd in the league (despite Liverpool and Spurs being "amazing" and playing "breath-taking" football most of the season) and we have an FA Cup semi-final coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Not sure how it matters at all in relation to my point (Pep's City have underachieved in Europe for what's expected of him) but Jose's bare minimum for this season is more or less what we're seeing now IMO. That last 16 exit to Sevilla was not right, but we're a comfortable 2nd in the league (despite Liverpool and Spurs being "amazing" and playing "breath-taking" football most of the season) and we have an FA Cup semi-final coming up.

I wouldn't say we're a comfortable second just yet. Plenty of points to play for and Liverpool may well overtake us. They've probably got an easier run in too. A lot hinges on what happens this Saturday.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say we're a comfortable second just yet. Plenty of points to play for and Liverpool may well overtake us. They've probably got an easier run in too. A lot hinges on what happens this Saturday.

No doubt, plenty of points left indeed. I didn't mean we're comfortable in 2nd and that's the way it'll definitely stay until May, just that we can still afford a fúck up or 2 (loss and a draw) and still finish 2nd.

We're relatively comfortable in 2nd at the moment. We could lose this weekend, Liverpool could win, but we would still have a game in hand and a potential 2 point cushion over them.

At this point of the season, considering some of the shíte unexpected results we've had against the likes of Huddersfield and Newcastle, it's nice to have any cushion over our nearest rivals.

In fairness, I explained in the post you quoted why Pep winning a PL title once out of two seasons with City should be the bare minimum at this stage of the City project. I wouldn't apply that to any other team in the Top 4 at the moment, let alone United, as each club are different and the context (heritage/inheritance) will be different.

Pep came into a club where managers were winning the PL and domestic trophies, managers who oversaw a steady build of progress and investment for City. Yet this still wasn't enough for the owners, they want a CL title for their years of investment and domestic success. So here is Pep just doing the same as Mancini and Pellegrini (admittedly with a bit more style and dominance in the league) and I imagine that as impressive as the football has been, the owners (even Pep himself) will demand far more than the odd league/domestic title for City.

Jose came into a club where the two managers before him took the club further and further away from where it should be. By the time Jose came in, there had been 3 other team's names put on the PL trophy, and we had finished outside the Top 4 in 2/3 seasons before he came in.

Jose and Pep might have both arrived in Manchester at the same time, but that's where the similarities end. Both of them were walking into two very different projects at very different stages of progress.

Pep arrived at City to a state of progress already underway. Jose came in to United while there was a serious state of regress underway for years at that stage. Their bare minimums for the first season and even this season are completely different.

And next season, what do you think the bare minimum for United should be?

Considering money spent under jose so far and what he will spend in summer (talk of 200m) i would expect at minimum a title challenge and the football to improve drastically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Considering money spent under jose so far and what he will spend in summer (talk of 200m) i would expect at minimum a title challenge and the football to improve drastically

What if we play the same but win the league?

I said it at the beginning of Joses tenure and I will say it again, the minimum expectation in yrar three is a proper tilt at the title.

Style is secondary and always will be.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I said it at the beginning of Joses tenure and I will say it again, the minimum expectation in yrar three is a proper tilt at the title.

I think style will be the progression target if we get back to title winning ways. But yeah, if Jose's style wins trophies, then first and foremost, thats what his goal is.

Considering the base of where Jose started from (a squad of poor players under thrid managerial change in 4 years) and his stated aim of it being at least year three before we would see his full imprint on the club a title challenge should be expected.

Talk of money spent so far is neither here nor there considering how far we were already behind city and others

Talk of better football, get real. Results are all that matters. I'd take 38 1-0 wins over heavy metal, tika taka all day long.

You can say that again mate ;)
    Lord TSC wrote: »
    I think style will be the progression target if we get back to title winning ways. But yeah, if Jose's style wins trophies, then first and foremost, thats what his goal is.

As above and as we should all know the victors write the history and no where in that history will there be talk of valiant attacking football from teams not winning.. results are all that counts.

If we play the same we wont be near winning the league.

Money spent in comparison to who?

City are the benchmark and we spend 30% less then them. City have been investing more in their squad for a decade! Why should united expect to surpass them in the league when they commit less resources?

Lord TSC wrote: »

I agree. Next season we will see a more efficient team playing similar football but united will win more, score more and play with more confidence. Our goal should be a stronger title challange and much better showing in the champions league.

The funny thing is that most seasons united would actually be in with a half chance with winning the league. City’s record season has made it look worse for united.

Also he is managing Man Utd, not inter milan or chelsea, style of football is what man utd is about. Playing boring negative football will only bring you so far. Crowd/fans will demand more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Also he is managing Man Utd, not inter milan or chelsea, style of football is what man utd is about. Playing boring negative football will only bring you so far. Crowd/fans will demand more

Bollix.

Winning is what man United are about. Nobody remembers anything else in the eyes of history. We don't play boring negative football either the vast majority of the time, more bollix. The football this season has been the best since fergies times, and even Fergie had some very workman like performances in his day. The CL final 99 is harped on about as excitement and what was great about fergie teams, yeah the last 5 minutes were. I think people either didn't watch the other 85 minutes or just forgot, as we won.

Winning is what matters, do it in a pretty way if you want, do it ugly. Just win. You think the Spurs or arsenal or even Liverpool fans wouldn't trade in their lovely crowd pleasing brand of football for some actual trophies? Bollix.

Rafa was a tactical genius when his negative style made them the "best team in Europe" spurs are spurs, they never win **** all and 1-0 to the arsenal was such a popular chant, they were such a boring team but did they care when picking up their league title? My bollix they did.

Keanes favourite prawn sandwich brigade will surely demand they're entertainment, but they are not the fans of the club. Without success they will move on to their next method of entertaining themselves.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

You can’t answer the question can you? You just keep throw Out soundbite comments that don’t stand up to scrutiny.

Most people who feel Jose is making progress don’t necessarily think the brand/quality of football being played is acceptable in the long term. But what we do recognize is there are multiple reasons as to why being united manager anytime over the last 5 years has been a far tougher job then being te city manager (or any other manager position at a top club).

Fans wanting or demanding something does not invalidate facts. Fact is that the club doesn’t spend as much as the team at the top of the league. Fact is that united don’t consistently spend more or as much as European power houses in Europe. Fact we lost our greatest manager ever and a top CEO st the same time.

Fact is that the club has to pay interest on massive debt before it spends money on transfers. Fact is that Jose inherited a squad that was not as strong (on any level) as city’s when he took over. Fact is that for 3 years before Jose arrived the club looked lost and the transfer policy was extremely suspect.

Jose might not be doing what fans want but I feel it’s what the club needs. He has been successful at every club he joined, irrespective of funds (inter and Porto winning CL!). Pep can only succeed when he has the most to spend or everything is how he wants it. That’s why Jose is actually a better fit for united.

• Lads, have you not learned at this stage!

You will come to the realization soon enough! :P

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Lads, have you not learned at this stage!

You will come to the realization soon enough! :P

g'way you with your common sense and logic....

how dare you stop me from ranting and raving....

agh but i'm nuts about ye mate ;)

I'm fed up reading the same argument over and over again.

For a change of tone,a couple of gems from RAWK. Their take on the win over City. Someone forgot to take their meds.

I was thinking of it, its the Ghosts of Anfield hit that ball, as channeled and amplified by the crowd. The 20% up for us and the 20% down for them from the use of the "Force".

"The Ghosts leap into action as Milner smashed through the ball on the tackle with the win and that thing just Rockets to Alex. Real world regular season regular game sleepy ghosts that thing goes wild from the tackle or bounces 20 yards away off the take. Instead it instantly magnets on his foot the sweetest take you could possibly imagine followed by an instinctual Ghostualy prodded perfect first touch and perfect hammerblow strike.The whole sequence of events is highly dubious the Force did the whole fecking thing. Tape needs to be examined under black light or whatever the ghosts hunters use, You'll see those spirits out there possessing the hell outta the whole thing."

"It was dark at Bramley Moore Docks. The rain fell and the overturned bins of garbage danced in the winds. A couple of dead seagulls turned their faces to the sky as if to ask a vital question...
    What the feck is that noise lad?

That was us kid.

That was Anfield on a European night, drowning the whole of the city with a roar heard around the world. That was the Kop giving loads to world football's most overpriced vanity project.

That was the sound Guardiola will be hearing in his dreams the rest of his days. He will twitch and stir, almost waking, before the sound fades and he falls back to strangely troubled dreams, haunted by a feeling of doom he can never put a finger on."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

For a change of tone,a couple of gems from RAWK. Their take on the win over City. Someone forgot to take their meds.

I was thinking of it, its the Ghosts of Anfield hit that ball, as channeled and amplified by the crowd. The 20% up for us and the 20% down for them from the use of the "Force".

"The Ghosts leap into action as Milner smashed through the ball on the tackle with the win and that thing just Rockets to Alex. Real world regular season regular game sleepy ghosts that thing goes wild from the tackle or bounces 20 yards away off the take. Instead it instantly magnets on his foot the sweetest take you could possibly imagine followed by an instinctual Ghostualy prodded perfect first touch and perfect hammerblow strike.The whole sequence of events is highly dubious the Force did the whole fecking thing. Tape needs to be examined under black light or whatever the ghosts hunters use, You'll see those spirits out there possessing the hell outta the whole thing."

"It was dark at Bramley Moore Docks. The rain fell and the overturned bins of garbage danced in the winds. A couple of dead seagulls turned their faces to the sky as if to ask a vital question...

That was us kid.

That was Anfield on a European night, drowning the whole of the city with a roar heard around the world. That was the Kop giving loads to world football's most overpriced vanity project.

That was the sound Guardiola will be hearing in his dreams the rest of his days. He will twitch and stir, almost waking, before the sound fades and he falls back to strangely troubled dreams, haunted by a feeling of doom he can never put a finger on."

All I can imagine is AIG typing that.

giphy.gif

That was us kid.

Humour thread
    >

Drumpot wrote: »
    You can’t answer the question can you? You just keep throw Out soundbite comments that don’t stand up to scrutiny.

Most people who feel Jose is making progress don’t necessarily think the brand/quality of football being played is acceptable in the long term. But what we do recognize is there are multiple reasons as to why being united manager anytime over the last 5 years has been a far tougher job then being te city manager (or any other manager position at a top club).

Fans wanting or demanding something does not invalidate facts. Fact is that the club doesn’t spend as much as the team at the top of the league. Fact is that united don’t consistently spend more or as much as European power houses in Europe. Fact we lost our greatest manager ever and a top CEO st the same time.

Fact is that the club has to pay interest on massive debt before it spends money on transfers. Fact is that Jose inherited a squad that was not as strong (on any level) as city’s when he took over. Fact is that for 3 years before Jose arrived the club looked lost and the transfer policy was extremely suspect.

Jose might not be doing what fans want but I feel it’s what the club needs. He has been successful at every club he joined, irrespective of funds (inter and Porto winning CL!). Pep can only succeed when he has the most to spend or everything is how he wants it. That’s why Jose is actually a better fit for united.

Last 10 years we have spent the most money than all of the european clubs. City the only team to spend more.

https://www.90min.com/posts/5189633-splashing-the-cash-the-20-teams-with-the-highest-net-spend-in-world-football-over-the-past-decade

Given what has already been spent under jose, do you not honestly think the football should be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Keanes favourite prawn sandwich brigade will surely demand they're entertainment, but they are not the fans of the club. Without success they will move on to their next method of entertaining themselves.

Always hated that quote from Keano. Huge fan of him as a player but eventually started going off him in the media.

Don't think wanting to see entertaining football is the same as the "prawn sandwich brigade" Keano described, people going to matches just for a few drinks, brought nothing to the atmosphere in the stadium and knew nothing about football.

Also I've said before but I do agree with people saying we've seen progress and am happy with that, but also with the squad and manager we have would expect to see some better performances. It's a fault that can go down due to many factors and individuals but don't think we've gotten the best out of some of our players. Let's start that against City.

• Advertisement

Absolutely, for year three there has to be the pressure of a serious title attempt as well as a decent run in Europe (min QF, aiming for SF, but if we can't dominate in the PL, we have no hope in Europe).
    Doesn't matter how bad the team was that he inherited, he'll have had 3 summer windows to sort it out and implement his style on the team and club. Its not like he took over Stoke, any team that is capable of picking up a few cups while in 'transition' is not a complete basket case. Fergie took 4 years to sort out a proper basket case club when he started, Jose had a higher base to work with.
    Like everyone else, I'd love to see us playing amazing football while winning all before us, but I first and foremost want us winning the league again. It's 5 years now since our last title, that can easily become 10. Once we are proven again as champions, can we look at upping the flair in the team. I don't believe it is possible in the moment to do both at the same time with the quality of our rivals.
    I wouldn't be demanding that if Jose doesn't win the league next year to sack him, but he needs to be running it fairly close to continue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement