Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

paulbok wrote: »
    Humour thread
    >

I remember when there was humour here. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/utdxtra/status/982214334368497664

Mike Tyson:

"I've been in Manchester many times and I've never heard of Man City". :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

bangkok wrote: »
    Last 10 years we have spent the most money than all of the european clubs. City the only team to spend more

In the last 10 years we have won 3 league titles, 3 league cups, a CL, a EL, and an FA cup.. good return for the money spent..

“City only team to spend more” so if Money = success, surely if city have spent more they should be higher up the table and have more honours in that time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Last 10 years we have spent the most money than all of the european clubs. City the only team to spend more.

https://www.90min.com/posts/5189633-splashing-the-cash-the-20-teams-with-the-highest-net-spend-in-world-football-over-the-past-decade

Given what has already been spent under jose, do you not honestly think the football should be better?

The majority of United’s net spend has been in the last 5 seasons. Years of under investment in top quality players and a completely different transfer strategy to other clubs left the squad in some state when SAF left. It was not a valuable squad full of players who would be worth a lot in the market. It was more akin to Leicester (after they won the league) then it was to City or Chelsea.

It wasn’t that it wasn’t a good team but it was a team that was 100% perfect fit for SAF. He had it tailored perfectly for him and he knew every strength and weakness of each player. What players moved for big money or had big careers at other clubs after SAF retired?

When a manager comes in at Madrid, Barca, city, Chelsea or PSG they take over completely different squads. Squads used to high manager turnovers, clubs that have been buying big players for years , used to buying and selling big. As such, when they sell players they gets more and their net spend looks less. In 10 years time when united have been doing this strategy (buy big- lots of managers) we can talk about the long term investment in the squad.

But even that statistic shows city’s net spending is over £400 million then United’s. Nearly double what united have spent. How do you expect united to compete with that kind of spending? You could make an argument that Jose is actually doing a better job then Pep if spending is accepted as a major factor!

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

What if we play the same but win the league?

I said it at the beginning of Joses tenure and I will say it again, the minimum expectation in yrar three is a proper tilt at the title.

Style is secondary and always will be.

For the bigger clubs, Style is secondary ONLY if you are winning trophies. If you are not winning trophies, style and excitement and entertainment is crucial.

As an LFC supporter I'm absolutely loving this season. Its odds on we will end up with nothing. Its possible Utd will finish 2nd ahead of Liverpool (and Spurs may too). I imagine though once we make top 4, LFC fans will be far happier and far more entertained than UTD fans.

Style secondary in this case? Not so much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

elbyrneo wrote: »
    For the bigger clubs, Style is secondary ONLY if you are winning trophies. If you are not winning trophies, style and excitement and entertainment is crucial.

As an LFC supporter I'm absolutely loving this season. Its odds on we will end up with nothing. Its possible Utd will finish 2nd ahead of Liverpool (and Spurs may too). I imagine though once we make top 4, LFC fans will be far happier and far more entertained than UTD fans.

Liverpool are obviously far more entertaining to watch than Utd this season. However, if Klopp wins nothing over the next 2/3 years he'll most likely be replaced. Style is fantastic but not everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

We won two trophies last year and are in the FA cup semi final this year.

We should have top 4 secured and have a good chance to win the cup.

Top 4 and FA cup vs top 4 and exciting football, there is only one winner there.

Liverpool are obviously far more entertaining to watch than Utd this season. However, if Klopp wins nothing over the next 2/3 years he'll most likely be replaced. Style is fantastic but not everything.

Yes true fair point. I guess expectation is another factor. Right now top 4 would be a great achievement. But if and when expectation rises....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Yes true fair point. I guess expectation is another factor. Right now top 4 would be a great achievement. But if and when expectation rises....

the inevitable happens and the liverpool crumble occurs..

We won two trophies last year and are in the FA cup semi final this year.

We should have top 4 secured and have a good chance to win the cup.

Top 4 and FA cup vs top 4 and exciting football, there is only one winner there.

Yeah but that's my point- success is absolutely required if the brand of football could be more exciting. Lose the semi and it disappoints that much more. Win the cup and it's salvaged somewhat. But it means as a fan you demand more to compensate. Its apples and oranges we are comparing mind- different expectations, stages in development of the clubs etc. But an interesting debate and clearly I have a blinkered view.....

• Advertisement

Your wrong actually.

If a top side is finishing either 2nd or first then yes trophies are expected , particularly if the brand of football is not entertaining. But if your team has struggled to get in the top 4 for the last 5 seasons, then finishing comfortably in the top 4 and possibly second is the next best thing to a trophy. Next season your point may have more merit but united has been a top club learning to be run in a completely different manner that no top club has had to do ever. (Being a Liverpool fan you would think you have an idea of what it’s like trying to regain success after a few failed managers!).

Then if you factor in an obvious upward trend in league standing, you can logically surmise that continued improvement will lead to trophy success. In short, there is more reason to trust Jose is positioning the club to succeed then there is to believe he won’t.

This whole “style of football” bollox is a red herring. Either to insult and annoy fans of united or to try to ignore the progress that the club is making. When a Liverpool fan likes or supports a united manager, you know you should ask why that is! The irony of a Liverpool fan giving a lecture on stylish football after Houflier and Rafa as quite successful managers of their club is gas. I don’t remember too many Liverpool fans giving out about boring football back then. I will let Rafa finish off how I feel about this point.

CdS2JR0WwAIEFkw?format=jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Drumpot wrote: »
    I will let Rafa finish off how I feel about this point.

why?

Nalz wrote: »
    why?

Why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

If you replace the W in What, when, where with a T, you answer your own question.

source.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Liverpool played offensive tonight? I thought they capitalised on horrific defending and defended very well themselves for the most part getting 11 behind the ball and breaking with speed. They had fantastic defensive positioning for the most part tonight, a really good job done tactically on pep who has again shown that when plan A fails, there is no plan B.

They literally were marauding through City at will in that first half. They didn't play a counter attack style at all, they got right in their face, pressed high, won the midfield battle and just exploded forward.

Their second half looked more to do with tiredness and a bit of fear about what happened before as opposed to a specific "we are now moving to a containment strategy"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I know the youtube site was posted about before but loving the clips just looking back at key players.

The Greate Dane. So great we let it slide that he joined City. Different times though, and suppose it helps when he says he wouldn't have joined them if they were in direct competition with United.

adox wrote: »
    I honestly think Otemendi is a really poor defender. Kompany was great but is past it. Walkers defending was always the weakest part of his game.

Just because they have conceded the least goals or “best defence” doesn’t mean the def nice is very good or indeed the best. I thought Peps Barcelona had plenty of poor defenders too, a mediocre goal keeper also. It was just they were so good at keeping possession and winning it back high up the pitch that the defence very rarely had to do any traditional defending like defending their box etc.

That is how he views and manages the defensive side of the his tactics though.

I totally know what you mean, I don't rate their defence, and if you can get them on the backfoot its a weak spot.

But he definitely knows how to manage the defensive side of the game, his teams are statistically, across Europe, #1 for goals or shots conceded. And thats because defence is a team ethic and shape and not individualised

I'll always look at a Pep team and the individual defenders you can always point out as weak, but the overall ethos and strategy just deals with it season after season.

If he ever did bother to change over to getting proper defenders, it would either wreck his overall thing or it would go next level.

I'm totally with you on the individual ratings., I'm probably more critical as I havn't rated Kompany for years, think Stones is completely over rated and havn't seen enough of Laporte yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Anything decent from the press conference?

Seemingly was in a weird and disinterested humour and was just being short with questions asked.

Don't know if anything worthwhile after embargo but seems to have been in a fowler of a mood or something ?

Jose asked to be referred to as “the defensive one” from now on.

He then stood up, grabbed the microphone and passionately said he hates the brand of football that the team has been playing under his instructions and that he would of sacked himself had he been the owners of the club... He then dropped the microphone and jumped out a near window.

• Advertisement

The press were fixated on the Liverpool v city game, so he gave pretty short answers, nothing real controversial..

Sorry

On another note, Pep whinging out about the time between fixtures

“"We need support because we are so tired. United rest all week. We have a tough time mentally and physically”

TheDoc wrote: »
    Seemingly was in a weird and disinterested humour and was just being short with questions asked.

Don't know if anything worthwhile after embargo but seems to have been in a fowler of a mood or something ?

I would be too in fairness, the press are a joke with their questions..

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

astradave wrote: »
    The press were fixated on the Liverpool v city game, so he gave pretty short answers, nothing real controversial..

Sorry

“"We need support because we are so tired. United rest all week. We have a tough time mentally and physically”

giphy.gif

One thing is Romero is the only injury..

I would be too in fairness, the press are a joke with their questions..

No disagrement here.

Reasons for it mind you, but I've actually stopped watching press conferences and the post match ones, even post match interviews.

Boring, repetitive and in this instance don't believe a word out our managers mouth most of the time. But just in general im kinda done with the media stuff before and after games.

brinty wrote: »
    the inevitable happens and the liverpool crumble occurs..

Find it depressing that a bit of debate and this is what you get. Making no real point but a snobbish comment so as to try to come across in some way superior or to make a score.

My point stands, and I will take the niceties out of it this time. Utd are incredibly dull to watch and their approach to many games I have watched this season has been dour and miserable. The manager is equally dour and miserable.

If this was balanced by success, then sure you might accept it and even applaud the tactical acumen of it. But as a fan it must be incredibly frustrating especially with amount / value of talent is available.

Putting style secondary to results is an incredible gamble for a club of utds resources if you don't get those results.

The Utd brand will be affected also if this continues. This isnt the Utd we all know and love/hate.

Sorry

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Price of success there Pep...

Its not like Spain and Germany where Real, Barca and Bayern are pandered to by the league and everything is done to set them up for success

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

xtal191 wrote: »

he's cracking already.....
    poor Pep... i doubt he'll make the end of the 18/19 season at the rate things are going!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Pogba did dye his hair blue recently...

raleuse.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

That is crazy if true.....the agent situation in football is like something out of the wild west, absolutely no rules to follow.....surely this deal would have never ever happened anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Raiola confirms he did offer them to City...

https://twitter.com/hirstclass/status/982295703929040896

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Pogba wasn't name checked tho was he? Like he has many other players back he has 3 pogbas alone.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Pogba wasn't name checked tho was he? Like he has many other players back he has 3 pogbas alone.

I reckon it was just Mkhi, he knew he had to try get a good offer for Him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I reckon it was just Mkhi, he knew he had to try get a good offer for Him

Wouldn't of been the first fella offering mikhi around over Christmas;)

• Advertisement

Pogba’s response

“Say what? (Ear emoji)”

https://instagram.com/p/BhPEjQGjJ5G/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

See, people just aren't giving Jose enough credit. He saw the pitfalls of being in the CL right before the derby so let Sevilla win.

#GoodGuyJose

The ****ing state of Pep. If you want to compete in all competitions, you don't get to moan about the extra games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Dave, can I just say I love how you included "ear emoji" in your transcription! :D:D

Dave, can I just say I love how you included "ear emoji" in your transcription! :D:D

Well I wouldn’t be relaying the true facts if I didn’t :D

meanwhile, lol, the Pep quotes about Pogba was embargoed, but DiMarizo broke it, and other journalists are freaking...

https://twitter.com/JBurtTelegraph/status/982283491692998657

https://twitter.com/hirstclass/status/982282132319100928

https://twitter.com/Ian_Ladyman_DM/status/982282393330634752

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    See, people just aren't giving Jose enough credit. He saw the pitfalls of being in the CL right before the derby so let Sevilla win.

#GoodGuyJose

The ****ing state of Pep. If you want to compete in all competitions, you don't get to moan about the extra games.

A major flaw of the premier league, it does nothing for any of the teams that are in europe, i include united in that. For years premier league teams have been getting the short straw compared to teams on the continent added into the fact there is no winter break in england

BTW

If its true that Pogba ok'd the notion, even the idea, of investigating a move to City, he needs to be out the door this summer asap....

meanwhile, lol, the Pep quotes about Pogba was embargoed, but DiMarizo broke it, and other journalists are freaking...

https://twitter.com/JBurtTelegraph/status/982283491692998657

https://twitter.com/hirstclass/status/982282132319100928

https://twitter.com/Ian_Ladyman_DM/status/982282393330634752

:pac: diMarzio doesn’t have to follow those rules.. the embargo is only for English/British press.. fûck them.. I’d love to know who leaked them to him though. I’m sure the written journos in the room will all be pointing the finger at each other

BTW

If its true that Pogba ok'd the notion, even the idea, of investigating a move to City, he needs to be out the door this summer asap....

Lol why???

So you would sell sanchez too who was almost a done deal to city as well.

Lukaku spoke with chelsea bye bye

De gea nearly joined madrid only for a broken fax machine.

Seriously

Lol why???

So you would sell sanchez too who was almost a done deal to city as well.

Lukaku spoke with chelsea bye bye

De gea nearly joined madrid only for a broken fax machine.

Seriously

:pac: your gas craic if you can’t see the difference between, United player under contract Pogba talking to City, and someone who was not even a United player at the time.

One undermines the whole club and the other doesn’t.

And on DeGea, United gave him permission to speak to Madrid, it’s not like he did it behind their backs

:pac: your gas craic if you can see the difference between, United player under contract Pogba talking to City, and someone who was not even a United player at the time.

One undermines the whole club and the other doesn’t.

And on DeGea, United gave him permission to speak to Madrid, it’s not like he did it behind their backs

Pogba never talked to city. Not once.

His agent did apparently. Big difference

Pogba never talked to city. Not once.

His agent did apparently. Big difference

His agent is denying it according to the article you quoted anyways..

I’m not saying he did anyways, I’m showing you that your arguement in the previous post is just downright bullshît

Mind games imo, Pep trying to wind Jose up, that’s all I think it is anyways.

Edit: Oh and an agent works for the player not the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I'm working tomorrow afternoon, so i'll be missing the game. But no doubt this thread, and maybe the match thread will give some entertainment/over-reaction by the bucket load :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

If anything I hope Pogba can turn up tomorrow and slap City's midfield up. Been a while since we've seen a 'masterclass' from him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement