Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Discodog wrote: »
    I think it will be a clear out. People still talk about the mythical United Way but it depends on players giving 100%. No matter how skillful a player is if he doesn't want to give total effort then he's not worth having.

I fear that some players, maybe led on by their agents, are thinking about what happened at Chelsea. I think the Board will back Jose totally. I would prefer a clear out even if it means another year of establishing new players.

The problem seems to be that you can't assess the mind of a potential transfer target. Martial has bucket loads of skill but just seems not to want to put in the effort. Rom may be short on skill but he makes up for it with effort.

Well there’s the problem right there. So it’s safe to say Jose doesn’t rate Martial? So he is gone. That won’t sit well with a lot of Jose supporters in here as they also love Martial. I’d say most Utd fans like Martial and see him as a player who (if sold) will turn out to be the next De Bruyne or Salah who Jose felt couldn’t hack it at a club he managed and goes on to be amazing in another team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Even after him calling out players/performances

Thats not what people focus on, they focus on the fact he said it.

Regardless of what he says people still focus on him.

It's pretty impressive really.

Drumpot wrote: »
    I think reading between the lines allows me to stand back and see the bigger picture. People jumping on every word the manager says are just riding the hyperbolic waffle train that can follow united managers.

He says what he says for a reason. He says it because he feels it’s what’s needed for the team. Why he says it isn’t important for the fans to understand , it’s oy important that it has the desired effect on the team.

Like I said, he’s won everything in the game so I am confident that he knows what he is doing.

Did he know what he was doing in his last season with Chelsea when he started to call players out? You’re just choosing to ignore that but I can’t. Player power is real, I hate it but it exists. He may find the players turning on him now which historically is disastrous for a managers employment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

GSPfan wrote: »
    Did he know what he was doing in his last season with Chelsea when he started to call players out? You’re just choosing to ignore that but I can’t. Player power is real, I hate it but it exists. He may find the players turning on him now which historically is disastrous for a managers employment.

He won the league with that team. The difference is that there is no sign that the United board won’t support him , unlike Roman at Chelsea. Part of that reason is because that Chelsea team won the league, this united team haven’t done anywhere near enough to warrant the support of the board. Logic would determine that Jose is more likely to bring a league title then a bunch of under performing players who have proven nothing other then possibly not up To the level of pressure that comes with playing for united.

Well there’s the problem right there. So it’s safe to say Jose doesn’t rate Martial? So he is gone. That won’t sit well with a lot of Jose supporters in here as they also love Martial. I’d say most Utd fans like Martial and see him as a player who (if sold) will turn out to be the next De Bruyne or Salah who Jose felt couldn’t hack it at a club he managed and goes on to be amazing in another team.

Funnily enough some of Martial's biggest advocates here are "anti-jose"
    I'm not sure what Jose thinks of Martial but it must be like a lot of fans, utterly frustrated with him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'm going to be honest, I've long since established my distrust of Martial's attitude.

On his day, he's incredible. Its just his day seems to be spread out by months of mediocrity for us. He may well go to another club and do well, but he's too inconsistent for us for a while now.

If you told me we could get 80m for Martial (as rumoured), and replace him by spending that money on a proper RW player (since we'd have two replacements in Sanchez and Rashford already), I wouldn't blink tbh, regardless of what the manager says....

I think reading between the lines allows me to stand back and see the bigger picture. People jumping on every word the manager says are just riding the hyperbolic waffle train that can follow united managers.

Not singling you out specifically for what you said but it’s interesting that when critics read between the lines of what he says to put a negative spin on it then Jose supporters accuse critics of looking too hard for trouble, but when Jose supporters accuse critics of focusing too much on what he says it contradicts their stance from the first example.

It’s all just too bizarre for me to see where this is going.

It’s all just too bizarre for me to see where this is going.

"bizarre"?

Players and manager seem to be under preforming. Some want to push a narrative that a split is starting to happen between the two. Some will back the manager in that case, especially if they have little faith in the players to preform, regardless of who manages them.

Not to say Jose has done brilliantly. I was furious after the CL exit. But when I see the reaction of the players in the game last night, it gets to the point where there's some who have shown **** all desire since they joined, and maybe its time to offload them.

If anything, my biggest gripe against Jose is it's seemingly taken 2 years to hit that point where he wants the clear out....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I'm going to be honest, I've long since established my distrust of Martial's attitude.

On his day, he's incredible. Its just his day seems to be spread out by months of mediocrity for us. He may well go to another club and do well, but he's too inconsistent for us for a while now.

If you told me we could get 80m for Martial (as rumoured), and replace him by spending that money on a proper RW player (since we'd have two replacements in Sanchez and Rashford already), I wouldn't blink tbh, regardless of what the manager says....

I would tbh, Martials ceiling is as high as any player I've seen for us bar Ronaldo. He's all the raw materials to be something special and in the right club would be a top 10 in the world player IMO. I'm not blaming Mourinho for him not getting to those heights but a different league or a different style will get a lot more out of him.

I hope he sticks around but his consistency needs to improve dramatically for him be a top player for us

• Advertisement

"bizarre"?

Players and manager seem to be under preforming. Some want to push a narrative that a split is starting to happen between the two. Some will back the manager in that case, especially if they have little faith in the players to preform, regardless of who manages them.

Not to say Jose has done brilliantly. I was furious after the CL exit. But when I see the reaction of the players in the game last night, it gets to the point where there's some who have shown **** all desire since they joined, and maybe its time to offload them.

If anything, my biggest gripe against Jose is it's seemingly taken 2 years to hit that point where he wants the clear out....

I’m aware of the current situation, the bizarre part was in reference as to where this is going.

I agree with your assessment especially the last bit as I think we’ve known for 5 years some of these players are average at best.

The bizarre bit is that the board are seemingly backing Jose but he is shaping up for a clear out which won’t happen. It never has. We are useless at selling players and slaughtering them publicly is not going to increase their value. He is drawing a line between himself and most of the squad which historically goes badly for a manager as the collective power of players is greater than the management team. But the board do seem to be in favour of what he is doing.

So how does this end? A clear out? A manager change? A positive transformation of attitudes from both? A degradation of the current attitudes? Same old same old?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If I was confident Jose was going to get the backing to gut the squad I would be delighted with him calling out the players. But he won’t be given that backing as we’d need to spend about €300 million and United are awful in the transfer market so I’m expecting a frustrating future.

This is strange. A clear out is inevitable. I'd say 90% of people can see it.

Carrick has literally confirmed his retirement and pending move to Manchester United coaching staff. Zlatan it is safe to say (99% sure) will not get another 1 year deal so he is off in the summer aswell.

I think Smalling is dead in the water since its Rojo who just got a new deal. Signing Lindelöf made an existing CB expendable the very moment he joined, the only reason we didn't sell a CB last summer imo was Rojo was injured until November-ish.

Darmian is in a similar boat to Smalling with Timothy Fosu-Mensah to return from Crystal Palace. The only reason he didn't leave in January and return to Italy was so he could provide cover for Valencia in the squad until TFM returned.

Fellaini seemingly doesn't want to sign another deal so he is apparently off aswell. Again similar to TFM we have Andreas to return from Valencia CF. (Andreas also provides cover on the wing/wide midfield area's which would free up Martial/Rashford/Alexis to play #9 if Lukaku needed a break offsetting the loss off Ibrahimovic to the squad.)

I like him but havto admit I dont see what the point of Daley Blind is now. He is so far off being a starter in any of his multiple positions there would be no need to even try replacing him if he left.

So far the only player who we dont have a replacement for already is Carrick. Given our currently awful malfunctioning midfield we were always going to be in the market for a midfieder anyway so none of the above changes our plans.

Looking deeper:

There was strange rumblings around November that Sergio Romero wanted to move to secure his WC spot. While these unsuprisingly came to nothing (being back up has never effected his NT position before) we wouldn't need to replace him if he does move this summer. We have Joel Pereira who is highly rated and has took Romero's spot on the bench on occassion this year. Even if we decide to loan J.Pereira out we have Johnstone will return from Villa having just signed a new deal to provide cover for DDG.

I'd imagine if a semi decent bid came in for Shaw it would be accepted and we would then look for a new starting LB.

Similar with DDG. If Madrid/DDG do want a move and cough up the transfer fee we would need a new keeper but hopefully this doesn't happen.

Herrera seems to have already been replaced by McTominay so again a decent offer and I'd say he will be off. And I dont think he'd need replacing either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

'Mourinho's Shaw treatment 'brutal''

http://www.skysports.com/share/11295324

Have to agree with that, dont see what benefit it brings to the team

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

"bizarre"?

I think he had to take his time deciding who to move on, Van Gaal moving on Evans, Rafael, Welbeck, Hernandez etc left gaps in the squad, it is why we saw Paddy McNair playing in important games, Nick Powell against wolfsburg (argh), Blackett, Borthwick Jackson in to cover. He managed to find Rashford though.

Of the players there now Jose has decided on Darmian and Blind who are sure to leave. Ibra is heading. Already moved on Rooney, Morgan, Memphis, Bastian, Januzaj. Moved on one of his own signings in Miki.

He had to take time with someone like Shaw who was a big investment and a player that he was keen on himself when he was at Southampton.

Jose supports players : “Why is he defending them when they play so poor?”

Jose attack’s players: “why is he attacking them, maybe he needs to take responsibility for them under performing!”

Jose continues to play Pogba or rests him or brings him on in a game: “Why can’t Jose get the best out of Pogba?”

Jose continues to support Lukaku who repays managers trust : “Lukaku is a superb player who is showing leadership qualities even when the team plays poorly”.

Jose gets united from outside top 4 to 2nd: “quality of football and performances are not good enough”

United play bad : “Jose’s tactics are awful”

United win a big game : “Players Played well”

To some people it doesn’t actually matter what Jose does. They will always default to the narrative that anything good that happens is because of the players and anything bad is because of the manager.

In Modern football it’s just accepted , quite remarkably, that the book stops with the manager on everything. Win the league? Well you can be sacked within three months of the next season and that’s just normal. That’s ok. That’s not absolutely retarded in anyway. Players have zero accountability and get no real stick for it. What the worst that’s happened to players the next season ? Nothing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

So is it a Summer clear out (which never happens at United) or is it a change of manager? I’m betting on neither happening and this continuing into next season.

On your summer clear out point, just how much money do you think is available to clear out a squard and replace it in one summer ?

Were getting there but it will probably take 2 or 3 more windows.

• Advertisement

beno619 wrote: »
    On your summer clear out point, just how much money do you think us available to clear out a squard and replace it in one summer ?

I'd imagine he'll get 150m this summer as has been typical in previous windows. On top of that, he'll get whatever he makes back from sales. It could be one reason they consider any offers for Martial tbh; getting a massive fee for a player he sees as underpreforming and for whom he already has replacements at the club, etc, might tempt him so he can invest heavily elsewhere.

beno619 wrote: »
    On your summer clear out point, just how much money do you think us available to clear out a squard and replace it in one summer ?

As I outlined above I dont think we need that much money. We'll have to bash out probably 70~80m on a midfielder for certain. If DDG leaves the funds earned from that deal will probably go straight into funding his replacement. Shaw who I think is extremely likely to leave wouldn't recoup enought to fund a starting replacement (prob sell Shaw for 15m and need 30~40m for a good enough replacement) so 15 ~ 25m there. Herrera who I'd rate 50/50 to stay would probably make up that 15/25m if he went to Atletico/Sevilla. Darmain and Smalling probably be sold for about 10m each so I dont think we need as monstrous a budget as before.

pjohnson wrote: »
    As I outlined above I dont think we need that much money. We'll have to bash out probably 70~80m on a midfielder for certain. If DDG leaves the funds earned from that deal will probably go straight into funding his replacement. Shaw who I think is extremely likely to leave wouldn't recoup enought to fund a starting replacement (prob sell Shaw for 15m and need 30~40m for a good enough replacement) so 15 ~ 25m there. Herrera who I'd rate 50/50 to stay would probably make up that 15/25m if he went to Atletico/Sevilla. Darmain and Smalling probably be sold for about 10m each so I dont think we need as monstrous a budget as before.

I'd be hopeful for a lot more for Smalling. 30m easily. At the end of the day, he's still English, loads of first team experience for United, and only 28. I'd see us being able to get 30m or so from the likes of Arsenal or an Everton.

I'd be hopeful for a lot more for Smalling. 30m easily. At the end of the day, he's still English, loads of first team experience for United, and only 28. I'd see us being able to get 30m or so from the likes of Arsenal or an Everton.

I love the way you throw arsenal and Everton in the same sentence like that... Its like the way Southampton can rely on Liverpool to buy anybody half decent from their squad! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I think all of you who are presuming Smalling will be gone in the summer may be in for a shock.

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    I think all of you who are presuming Smalling will be gone in the summer may be in for a shock.

Do you think we sell a CB?

Bailly and Lindelof are newer signings. Rojo just got a new contract. So Smalling and Jones. One of those two are expendable. Especially if TFM comes back cause he can cover there too. And I'd personally believe Jones' willingness to give 100% will win out over Smalling tbh.

I wouldn't be shocked if he stayed.

While I've cursed him a few times, every CB who's played this season has had some bloopers.

He's played a lot more minutes than most of the others so naturally will have one or two more slip ups.

They've all been great at times and they've all been dodgy.

Smalling only slightly worse than the others.

He needs to something about his distribution from the back though, but at his age now I don't think that will ever change. Considering Jose doesn't seem to like that sort of transition anyway it's probably not a problem for him.

limnam wrote: »
    I wouldn't be shocked if he stayed.

While I've cursed him a few times, every CB who's played this season has had some bloopers.

He's played a lot more minutes than most of the others so naturally will have one or two more slip ups.

They've all been great at times and they've all been dodgy.

Smalling only slightly worse than the others.

He needs to something about his distribution from the back though, but at his age now I don't think that will ever change. Considering Jose doesn't seem to like that sort of transition anyway it's probably not a problem for him.

Simply 5 into 2 positions doesn't really go.

bangkok wrote: »
    'Mourinho's Shaw treatment 'brutal''

http://www.skysports.com/share/11295324

Have to agree with that, dont see what benefit it brings to the team

Another half arsed display after the shambles during the week. I’m glad to hear the manager questioning the players and their attitude.

That’s not to say Jose hasn’t had a part to play in all of it and I think he played a major part in our CL exit.

I’d prefer this sort of interview than the utter cringe we were dealt up during the week.

Anyway I thought when Young came on we had more attacking from the full back position and more defending. That’s from a wide player in his 30s!

Says it all about Shaw really.

Jose supports players : “Why is he defending them when they play so poor?”

Jose attack’s players: “why is he attacking them, maybe he needs to take responsibility for them under performing!”

Jose continues to play Pogba or rests him or brings him on in a game: “Why can’t Jose get the best out of Pogba?”

Jose continues to support Lukaku who repays managers trust : “Lukaku is a superb player who is showing leadership qualities even when the team plays poorly”.

Jose gets united from outside top 4 to 2nd: “quality of football and performances are not good enough”

United play bad : “Jose’s tactics are awful”

United win a big game : “Players Played well”

To some people it doesn’t actually matter what Jose does. They will always default to the narrative that anything good that happens is because of the players and anything bad is because of the manager.

In Modern football it’s just accepted , quite remarkably, that the book stops with the manager on everything. Win the league? Well you can be sacked within three months of the next season and that’s just normal. That’s ok. That’s not absolutely retarded in anyway. Players have zero accountability and get no real stick for it. What the worst that’s happened to players the next season ? Nothing!

what benefit is there to publicly attack his players?

"We didn’t play the way I wanted to play, I didn’t have the reaction from all of them. I had the reaction from some of them. And because some of them were mentally strong enough and with football quality to play was the reason why we won.

"A team of XI when you don’t have a minimum of six or seven players wanting to play and wanting to have the responsibility of having the ball and the desire to play. Because one thing is to play and it’s another thing to be on the pitch it’s difficult to have a good performance, so no, I’m not happy with the performance at all.

"When I spend two days on faster building up with the ball arriving earlier in between the lines in attacking areas and that depends on qualities and decisions by defenders in possession, but also depends on movement from attacking players.

"I arrive here attacking players were hiding behind the defenders and not wanting the ball, defenders playing square passes and taking 10,12 passes to go from one line to another line. It is frustrating."

what good can come from that?

Simply 5 into 2 positions doesn't really go.

Sure, but that doesn't mean it's going to be smalling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I don't think Smalling will be first out the door unfortunately, for no better reason than he's the least injury prone of them all.

Regards, incoming players. The midfield is a CM away from being in good shape, like every year. But for the love of god can we finally sign a ball playing one, would happily overpay for an aging Modric as a stop-gap.

Back four is all about who's going to be available, there's a dearth of quality CB's out there with nearly every top club in europe at least open to the idea they need to strengthen that area. The rumours are Alderweireld to Barca will open up Umtiti but I'm not sure I see it.

Similar story for full backs. Even though he's been poor since the injury/speaking out I'd be happy to see us move for Danny Rose.

Definitely see us being interested in Fabinho for the simple reason he can play a couple of positions that we're currently lacking in but he wouldn't draw a line under either which is the downside.

Do you think we sell a CB?

Bailly and Lindelof are newer signings. Rojo just got a new contract. So Smalling and Jones. One of those two are expendable. Especially if TFM comes back cause he can cover there too. And I'd personally believe Jones' willingness to give 100% will win out over Smalling tbh.

Jones will be gone if one of the two of them leave.

Jose really really likes Smalling imo. Plays him more often than not and hands him the captains arm band plenty of times too. If Jose is still here next season then I think Smalling will be too.

Another half arsed display after the shambles during the week. I’m glad the gphear the manager questioning the players and their attitude.

That’s not to say Jose hasn’t had a part to play in all of it and I think he played a major part in our CL exit.

I’d prefer this sort of interview than the utter cringe we were dealt up during the week.

Anyway I thought when Young came on we had more attacking from the full back position and more defending. That’s from a wide player in his 30s!

Says it all about Shaw really.

shaw is gone in the summer 100%, no trust from the manager whatsoever and has blasted him public more than once. maybe a move to spurs as part of alderweild deal

limnam wrote: »
    Sure, but that doesn't mean it's going to be smalling.

Then its Jones or Bailly.

Rojo will be a few months into a new contract and Lindelöf only a year at the club.

• Advertisement

Rojo will be a few months into a new contract and Lindelöf only a year at the club.

Not a hope of Bailly being sold imo.

Jones is at risk imo but honestly I wouldn’t be surprised to see Lindelof moved on if a decent offer came in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

"We didn’t play the way I wanted to play, I didn’t have the reaction from all of them. I had the reaction from some of them. And because some of them were mentally strong enough and with football quality to play was the reason why we won.

"A team of XI when you don’t have a minimum of six or seven players wanting to play and wanting to have the responsibility of having the ball and the desire to play. Because one thing is to play and it’s another thing to be on the pitch it’s difficult to have a good performance, so no, I’m not happy with the performance at all.

"When I spend two days on faster building up with the ball arriving earlier in between the lines in attacking areas and that depends on qualities and decisions by defenders in possession, but also depends on movement from attacking players.

"I arrive here attacking players were hiding behind the defenders and not wanting the ball, defenders playing square passes and taking 10,12 passes to go from one line to another line. It is frustrating."

What good can come from saying everything is grand?

He is spot on in what he said it was the same Tuesday night too many players don't want to play football they are too happy to cost along.

Jose has to take responsibility for it too yes it's his job to get more from the players if he can't do that it's pretty simple he will be gone.

jayo26 wrote: »

He is spot on in what he said it was the same Tuesday night too many players don't want to play football they are too happy to cost along.

Jose has to take responsibility for it too yes it's his job to get more from the players if he can't do that it's pretty simple he will be gone.

say it behind closed doors, all it does is create bad headlines. players are lacking in confidence, slating them in public is hardly going to help that

While I think it's unlikely he'd sell Lindelof. His amount of time at the club won't matter if he doesn't gain the trust. Look at Miki. But lets assume he's not going to sell him.

If we take it on "trust" which Jose harps on about, it looks like he trusts smalling more than any of the others.

Which leaves Jones and Bailly as you mentioned, I don't think there's any doubt here who he would keep. As much as I love Phil Jones.

He can see how they react and who has the character to prove him wrong or raise their game or who will feel sorry for themself or get pissy. If he did it with a board (like Chelsea) who didn’t support him the players could do what Chelsea players did and down tools. Sure look at those players doing it again under Conte. Is That the kind of team we want?

United players don’t have that luxury so this will separate those who want to succeed from those who think they have a right to be in the team. The team can afford a poor end of season in the league and still prob get top 4. I’m not saying this is an acceptable outcome but it’s a calculated gamble that Jose feels he can afford to take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

jayo26 wrote: »

One thing a lot of players said they liked about SAF was that he didn't slate the players in public.

If Jose wants players to follow his instructions to a tee, it's more likely to happen if they don't feel like he's going to hang them out to dry.

He can see how they react and who has the character to prove him wrong or raise their game or who will feel sorry for themself or get pissy. If he did it with a board (like Chelsea) who didn’t support him the players could do what Chelsea players did and down tools.

United players don’t have that luxury. The team can afford a poor end of season in the league and still prob get top 4. I’m not saying this is an acceptable outcome but it’s a calculated gamble that Jose feels he can afford to take.

and what if it all blows up in his face and he loses the dressing room... he is dead man walking

Not a hope of Bailly being sold imo.

Jones is at risk imo but honestly I wouldn’t be surprised to see Lindelof moved on if a decent offer came in.

Lindelöf has been a strange signing. He added depth to a position we were well stocked in. If Jose only wanted cover for Rojo until he got fit we should have either used Tuanzebe or loaned say Vermaelen from Barca or something if he wanted someone with senior experience. He was never really needed, hasn't particularly impressed when he has played and doesn't particularly look likely to become a starter for us. He appears 5th of the 5 in the pecking order. Still has potential but if he can't get on the pitch he can't develop that potential.

One thing a lot of players said they liked about SAF was that he didn't slate the players in public.

But he did.

Maybe they didn't read the news papers...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

say it behind closed doors, all it does is create bad headlines. players are lacking in confidence, slating them in public is hardly going to help that

If it doesn't help sure he will be sacked it's his method he will live or die by his decisions but if he can't win no matter what he says in a press conference.

and what if it all blows up in his face and he loses the dressing room... he is dead man walking

It won’t. The club have indicated they are behind him and the manager is acting exactly like somebody who has the full support of his employers. I am delighted. This squad doesn’t deserve anybody’s defense and has an opportunity now to prove the manager wrong....

You think he hasn't tried talking to Shaw privately? You think Shaw was listening to the interview thinking "Oh God, does he have a problem with me? I had no clue..."

If Jose is slating him publicly, it's because he's tried dealing with it behind closed doors, and it hasn't worked.

Yeah, I am looking at the players rarely involved. Smalling righfully plays a lot. It would be mad to sell a good defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

This squad doesn’t deserve anybody’s defense and has an opportunity now to prove the manager wrong....

By the same logic, the manager doesn't deserve anybody's defence.

I don't blame Jose necessarily. But some of the things he comes out with in press conferences is misguided and not particularly helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

You think he hasn't tried talking to Shaw privately? You think Shaw was listening to the interview thinking "Oh God, does he have a problem with me? I had no clue..."

If Jose is slating him publicly, it's because he's tried dealing with it behind closed doors, and it hasn't worked.

Poch questioned Shaw's attitude when he was his manager at Southampton. It seems age hasn't changed much with Shaw, talent but no application.

• Advertisement

Van gaal is being chatty again....

Former Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has claimed many of his stars were 'unprofessional' during his time in the Premier League.

It was hoped Van Gaal would resurrect the Red Devils following the failure of Sir Alex Ferguson's replacement David Moyes, though his tenure was short lived.

The Dutchman tried to incorporate his meticulous approach at United, sending around personal emails to each of his players detailing their progress ahead of face-to-face meetings.

Van Gaal attached alerts to these emails so he would be notified whether or not a player opened his message, though he concedes that some individuals did try to dupe the system and make out as though they had read his feedback.

'I developed the digital tracker with my IT man. Each player was able to log in,' Van Gaal revealed this week in an interview with German publication Bild.

'So I gave everyone the opportunity to prepare for the conversation with me at home and to meet me in dialogue at eye level.'

When asked about players not bothering to read his messages, Van Gaal was forthright.

'That’s true, too. But this testifies to their unprofessionalism and I have then addressed them.

'But I already did that with the emails at Bayern. My conviction is that a full professional also wants to live professionally. Like Arjen Robben. He read the emails.'

In a series of revelations, the former Holland manager admitted he tried all he could to bring prolific forward Robert Lewandowski to Old Trafford.

United fans will be accustomed to their team having been linked with Thomas Muller for the past several seasons, but Van Gaal has admitted it was his Bayern Munich strike partner that he wanted to sign.

The Dutchman has hailed Lewandowski as the complete striker and the best in the world at what he does, but admits Bayern would not allow their prized asset to leave at any cost.

'He is currently the best striker in the world. I also wanted to train Lewandowski and wanted to bring him to Manchester United,' Van Gaal added.

'The price was not a problem for Manchester United, but Bayern did not want to let him go.'

United parted ways with Van Gaal in May 2016, while the 66-year-old was just two years into a three-year contract.

The Dutchman's deal, reported to have been worth around £6.4million per year, was mutually cancelled by the club and manager.

Van Gaal's final game in charge of the Red Devils was an FA Cup final victory over Crystal Palace, before he was promptly replaced by current boss Jose Mourinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Isn't a clear out inevitable?

There are players Jose doesn't want/rate and then a few who have indicated they are off.

2 full backs, a CB and 2 CMs are needed imo. 5 or 6 players are very likely to be leaving in the summer for various reasons and a few top class signings needed.
    TFM may be given one of the defensive positions so looking at 4 new signings.
    Will the board back Jose to the tune of 200m?
    That's probably what it will take and I don't think there will be a lot made from selling players. Maybe 50m made on transfers depending on who leaves.

You manage Manchester United. You can cope with criticism. You can deal with it.

You are an established member of the first team for Manchester United. You can cope with criticism. You can deal with it.

Not able to deal with it? Then why are you at Manchester United at all. Just piss off and join some team where the pressure is not there.

When I say deal with it, I mean cope, respond and prove people wrong, accept it, get over it. Sure it can hurt, it can make you angry. But it you want to sulk, hide, not respond then you should not be at a club where the highest level is expected.

Speaking about "reactions"

I was impressed with Jose's "reaction" to Tuesday night.

The last few days has seen a different Jose IMO.

While a lot of his 12 minute rant was a bit cringey there was some very important points made in it and ones many people here have raised many times. It's like he;s come out fighting, he's showing some of the passion and fight that the players haven't been.

The rant.
    Last night on the touchline playing every ball.
    His interview afterwards even after a win was a sign of someone fighting IMO.

The fact the fans got behind and him were singing his name shows that they also appreciated it.

Even Scholes only put the knife in slightly afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement