Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

In terms of a step up in club stature it may not be possible, but if Dembele were to leave Barcelona I could honestly see Barcelona as a move for him - though it could be a similar role to his one at United.

Napoli would be a great side for him to play in.

I could see every English club, bar City, wanting him.

He'd have no end of teams interested.

I don't think Rashford would be looking to move based on United not being big enough or competing - but if he is not getting the game time he feels he needs to develop, I could certainly see him moving looking at moving on. Yes he is only 20 - but he can look around and see Sane getting all the game time for City, or Mbappe being a superstar for PSG. If he sees himself on that level, he may want the starting spot somewhere to prove it.

He stars against Liverpool for example, and then is out of the team again.

I get what you're saying, but Utd wouldn't sell him to any rivals and would be looking for money similar to what Dembele and Mbappe cost, so only PSG, Barca and Real would be an option and none of those teams have a need for him. Even if he wanted to leave (which I don't think he does) he doesn't realistically have anywhere to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Rashford is fine where he is its alright saying barca and whoever wouod be looking for him but the fact is he is a 20 year old kid with potential to be up there with the best in the world but at this point in time he is not consistent enough to be playing for Barcelona or most other top clubs.

It is English paper talk to say he wants out but Rashford has got plenty of game time for United and has been doing fine in patches he needs to keep developing and in another two year he will be challenging the likes of the top players at the club consistently.

In a nutshell at this moment Rashford is not as consistently good as most of the press think he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

jayo26 wrote: »
    Rashford is fine where he is its alright saying barca and whoever wouod be looking for him but the fact is he is a 20 year old kid with potential to be up there with the best in the world but at this point in time he is not consistent enough to be playing for Barcelona or most other top clubs.

It is English paper talk to say he wants out but Ashford has got plenty of game time for United and has been doing fine in patches he needs to keep developing and in another two year he will be challenging the likes of the top players at the club consistently.

In a nutshell at this moment Rashford is not as consistently good as most of the press think he is.

Nail on the head mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I get what you're saying, but Utd wouldn't sell him to any rivals and would be looking for money similar to what Dembele and Mbappe cost, so only PSG, Barca and Real would be an option and none of those teams have a need for him. Even if he wanted to leave (which I don't think he does) he doesn't realistically have anywhere to go.

I do think United/Jose will need to come up with, and explain, a good plan of how Rashford (and Martial if he stays for next season) will be used next season - and stick to that plan.

I'm not saying he needs to be, and be told, he will be first choice all next season - but I think Jose made mistakes last year and again this year in terms of player use and rotation.

I think we need to have plans and ability (and executed desire) to have rotation plans for players like Lukaku, Sanchez, Matic, Pogba.

With respect to Rashford (and maybe Martial), if Sanchez and Lukaku remain first choices in 99% of matches, it will be hard to keep Rashford long term.

I personally think Sanchez could play off Lukaku from the right with Rashford/Martial on the left, but Jose doesn't seem minded to give that a go, so as long as Sanchez starts every game on the left and Lukaku every game up front - playing and keeping Rashford will be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

It is English paper talk to say he wants out but Rashford has got plenty of game time for United and has been doing fine in patches he needs to keep developing and in another two year he will be challenging the likes of the top players at the club consistently.

but he wont get consistently good either if he isnt getting a run of games in the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I wouldn't be surprised if Martial left in the summer and certainly think he would leave quicker than Rashford.

It's going to be very difficult to keep both happy when it looks like Lukaku and Sanchez are nailed on starters.

Sell Martial and use the money to invest in a proper right sided player?

bangkok wrote: »
    but he wont get consistently good either if he isnt getting a run of games in the team

Yes he will he is training and playing with players like Sanchez and lukaku he will learn and develop his game.

We are not talking about a player that can't get near the first team here last year he had the most minutes of any under 20 player in the premier league.

This season he 15 appearances from the start and 14 as a sub.

The only way he will get more game time is to drop down clubs why would he do that? Why would he leave his boyhood club that he loves and the manager has only ever praised his attitude.

yabadabado wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if Martial left in the summer and certainly think he would leave quicker than Rashford.

It's going to be very difficult to keep both happy when it looks like Lukaku and Sanchez are nailed on starters.

Sell Martial and use the money to invest in a proper right sided player?

I don't agree I don't think we will be signing anymore forwards i think mata will drop down the pecking order the last couple of months lukaku has been drifting wide right alot I think we may see more of the front 3 interchanging especially martial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I gotta say lads Rashford is a good prospect but putting him in the same bracket as Mbappe is stupid,
    Mbappe has 45 goals in less than 2 season's at 19, he is light years ahead of Rashford

• Advertisement

I gotta say lads Rashford is a good prospect but putting him in the same bracket as Mbappe is stupid,
    Mbappe has 45 goals in less than 2 season's at 19, he is light years ahead of Rashford

agree but saying that I don't think he is light years behind if rashford goes and has a good world cup it's going to be hard ignore him but thats what potential is.. he has to go and do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Not an important point, but I find it weird how comfortable looking the top 4 has become.

Based on performances a month or so back I would have said we were in serious danger of dropping out of the top 4. After the Spurs result (and performance) I feared how our season could go - but the results (and performances, to some extent) in our other big games since then (apart from the CL) have been surprising and put us in a great position.

After that Spurs game who'd have thought we'd come out of games vs Liverpool, Chelsea and City with 9 points.

How easily Arsenal and Chelsea have fallen away is a turn up I suppose, maybe for Chelsea I guess, but I didn't find it weird at all personally. Even when the **** was really hitting the fan at Christmas and those 3 draws I never for one second felt we would finish out of the top 4. I believe as I said at the time, its not like we are competing with a load of Man Citys for top 4.

We were consistent with the rest (slightly better) at the turn of the year and since then I believe its only Spurs who have been more consistent (and we have a game in hand to match that record) in terms of the form table.

People can panic when results and performances drop, I get that to a degree. How much our rivals are overrated is what really puzzles me. Maybe its the scarring of the last few seasons still impacting on them

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

he is not that far off though imo and neither is martial.

how many would rashford/martial have it they played in the psg team where nearly every week they win games at a canter

agree but saying that I don't think he is light years behind if rashford goes and has a good world cup it's going to be hard ignore him but thats what potential is.. he has to go and do it.
    He's scoring double Rashford number per season at a year younger,
    I'm not saying Rashford is bad at all,
    He is a really good talent but Mbappe look like he will be one of the greats already,
    Talking about Rashford at the World cup .what about  Mbappe ?  He could turn himself into the man to take over from Messi and Ronaldo with a good world cup
    Again Rashford is good but Mbappe is a once in a generation talent,

he is not that far off though imo and neither is martial.

how many would rashford/martial have it they played in the psg team where nearly every week they win games at a canter
    Is that the same Martial who got 15 goals in 3 season's at the same age with Monaco, Mbappe got 26 in one season at the same age as marital started,
    Martial and Rashford are good no doubt but Mbappe is a superstar at 19

He is a really good talent but Mbappe look like he will be one of the greats already,
    Talking about Rashford at the World cup .what about  Mbappe ?  He could turn himself into the man to take over from Messi and Ronaldo with a good world cup

I didn't talk about mbappe at the world cup because he ain't a United player and that's not what we were talking about. No point in totally sidetracking ourselves with a total different discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Mbappe has the same amount of league goals as Memphis this season and is one behind Balotelli...

Sorry Marital  got 11 in 3 season. The other 4 where for the Monaco B team

Mbappe has the same amount of league goals as Memphis this season and is one behind Balotelli...
    He only turned 19 in December , and is 3rd main striker,
    He is light years ahead any other teenager  on the planet ,

• Advertisement

Ok lads lets just talk about mbappe then and forget about the original discussion of Rashford wanting out lol.

Oh so it’s nothing to do with goals now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Is someone genuinely making a case for Mbappe being so far ahead of, well, anybody using stats in a French feckin league? Especially when he is currently playing for the one team in the one team league?

Mbappe is a very talented lad, even better when Neymar isn't there but to use a goalscoring record in the French league as evidence of anything contrasted with a goalscoring record in the English league is just foolish.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Is that the same Martial who got 15 goals in 3 season's at the same age with Monaco, Mbappe got 26 in one season at the same age as marital started,
    Martial and Rashford are good no doubt but Mbappe is a superstar at 19

totally wrong

Martial only had 2 seasons with Monaco before united signed him, he got 12 goals with monaco, played first few games of next season with monaco and then utd signed him and he scored 17 with united

Oh so it’s nothing to do with goals now?
    Your comparing him to seasoned pro , He is just gone 19 compare him to any teenager Inthe world and he's miles ahead,
    If you want to go by goals Rashford has just 6 in the Prem does that make him bad ,no not at all he is only gone 20, he has bags of potential  and has a great future, but its no shame to say Mbappe is miles ahead of him as he is to any other teenager in the world,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I don't agree I don't think we will be signing anymore forwards i think mata will drop down the pecking order the last couple of months lukaku has been drifting wide right alot I think we may see more of the front 3 interchanging especially martial.

If Jose is telling the truth and forwards won't be signed then I'd agree Martial would be staying. It still going to be hard keep everyone happy. We have a lot of options on LW but are very light on the RW.

I wouldn't mind a RW being signed as long as the main problem areas are addressed in the summer. Absolute priority that LB and centre mid are sorted with top class signings. CB and RB probably need adjustments as well.

yabadabado wrote: »
    If Jose is telling the truth and forwards won't be signed then I'd agree Martial would be staying. It still going to be hard keep everyone happy. We have a lot of options on LW but are very light on the RW.

I wouldn't mind a RW being signed as long as the main problem areas are addressed in the summer. Absolute priority that LB and centre mid are sorted with top class signings. CB and RB probably need adjustments as well.

I'd sacrifice martial if we signed a genuine top class out and out rightsided player but I don't think we will and I think it will be a front 3 from lukaku, Sanchez, martial, Rashford and interchanging you could probably throw Jessie into the mix too.

Your comparing him to seasoned pro , He is just gone 19 compare him to any teenager Inthe world and he's miles ahead,
    If you want to go by goals Rashford has just 6 in the Prem does that make him bad ,no not at all he is only gone 20, he has bags of potential  and has a great future, but its no shame to say Mbappe is miles ahead of him as he is to any other teenager in the world,

I’m just laughing at your turnaround from “he was twice the goals Rashford has” to “It’s not about goals”

I’m just laughing at your turnaround from “he was twice the goals Rashford has” to “It’s not about goals”

All you can do is laugh mate.

I never said its not about goals ?
    I said compare him to someone the same age , you can't compare a 19 yearold to a seasoned pro , 
    Rashford is the same age, and like any other teenager/20 /21 yearold  in the world he is miles ahead

• Advertisement

So correct me if I'm wrong  your point is Rashford is as good as or close to the level of Mbappe ,

So correct me if I'm wrong  your point is Rashford is as good as or close to the level of Mbappe ,

I never said that. I’m just finding it a little odd how you are making the call.
    You’re using goals in a far inferior league, you’re saying Mbappe is third choice striker (Rashford isn’t even first choice in a different position)
    Then rubbishing a point that he is behind Balotelli, a sh*t player I think we can all agree on, because of his age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Mbappe has 19 in 40 odd games this year. Rashford has 13 in 40 odd. Rashford has almost certainly played fewer minutes by far. Light years indeed.

Mbappe has 19 in 40 odd games this year. Rashford has 13 in 40 odd. Rashford has almost certainly played fewer minutes by far. Light years indeed.

Think mbappe has 25 or 26 goals this year.

Just while on chat of levels of players ,
    I seen a stat that is Mo Salah continued this seasons form for 15 years he'd still have less goals than Ronaldo has scored to date, That is outrageous ,Ronaldo is a machine

I seen a stat that is Mo Salah continued this seasons form for 15 years he'd still have less goals than Ronaldo has scored to date, That is outrageous ,Ronaldo is a machine

You would need to play 22 seasons and score 30 goals in each season to match ronaldos 650 career goals!!!!! Mental

You would need to play 22 seasons and score 30 goals in each season to match ronaldos 650 career goals!!!!! Mental
    Unreal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Think mbappe has 25 or 26 goals this year.

Wiki has him at 19 in 39. 13 in 22 in the league. They could have it wrong I guess.

Wiki has him at 19 in 39. 13 in 22 in the league. They could have it wrong I guess.

Whoscored has it the same at club level.

13 league.
    4 CL
    2 Domestic Cup.

Rashford has 12.

Mbappe has started more, and played up front way more (according to whoscored) so I would expect him to have a better goal return.

Though, the argument would clearly be Mbappe has started more and started up front way more cause he is better has earned those starts and that position.

If you swapped the two players I think Rashford would have better stats for PSG than he does for United and Mbappe would have way worse stats for United than he does for PSG.

Lukaku would still be the central striker so we would have Mbappe having to play a more defensive role at United than he does at PSG (same as for Rashford, Martial and Sanchez).

I do think Mbappe is a better footballer - but I don't think stats are the way to point to this. Too many variables to take into account

• Advertisement

Martial has 2 years left in his contract,1 + 1 optional.
    We should get a hefty fee for him, we'll at least get our money back and probably more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Martial has 2 years left in his contract,1 + 1 optional.
    We should get a hefty fee for him, we'll at least get our money back and probably more.

And surely a lot of the add on's were never payable re golden boy etc... but we'll still have paid £60m for him eh... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That's the end of Rashford's "disillusionment" now anyway.
    I suppose Martial just had Rashford to compete with but Sanchez arriving changed that dynamic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Tom Coast is thinking he might go to Atleti to replace Griezmann.. meanwhile the independent runs this

https://twitter.com/eaamalyon/status/983703990427762688?s=21

astradave wrote: »
    Tom Coast is thinking he might go to Atleti to replace Griezmann.. meanwhile the independent runs this
    That is just random speculation on his part though.

I could see it that Martial would be happy to stay if he had a significant role in the first team.
    He isn't likely to (cause he isn't a target man). He will share time, maybe beat out (who knows) Rashford and Sanchez for a spot on the left.

Whether Jose would like to keep him - probably, but probably isn't arsed either way - given he isn't a first name on the team sheet player and as long as he doesn't lose both Rash and martial he won't kop much flack for it.

Whether the club actively look to move him on could entirely depend on what attacking player that could be looking to replace him with.

Greizmann swap with Atleti?
    Naymar swap (and a boat of cash) with PSG?
    Simply sell him on and look at Leon Bailley?
    Swap with Juve for Dybala?
    Swap with Real for Bale?

is it true Monaco get 50% of any deal over 60 million ?
    If true surely then he will go for less,
    Id love Livepool to buy him and rotate with Mane on the left but zero chance United sell to a Prem team let alone Liverpool

is it true Monaco get 50% of any deal over 60 million ?
    If true surely then he will go for less,
    Id love Livepool to buy him and rotate with Mane on the left but zero chance United sell to a Prem team let alone Liverpool

No that was only true if United didn't win any cups.

We now have to pay them 200% of any transfer fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No that was only true if United didn't win any cups.

We now have to pay them 200% of any transfer fee.

Slick Woody does it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If we are going midfield 3 next year we can cut Martial without needing a replacement. With no #10 position anymore Lingard will have to go back to being a RW competing with Mata.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement