Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

GSPfan wrote: »
    I just hope Liverpool get Real in a two leg game as they can beat anyone on a single night. Real are better and should win a two leg game. If Liverpool get to the final I’ll be sick.

City are better as well and look how that turned out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

TitianGerm wrote: »

Ronaldo wouldn't let us down ;)

jayo26 wrote: »
    Ronaldo wouldn't let us down ;)

Bayern to win and show up Pep or Ronaldo to knock out Liverpool jesus as tough a choice as who to root against in the quarter final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Go on now and enjoy the victory don't get bogged down in here, plenty of time for that

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

xtal191 wrote: »
    Bet Pool get Roma and go on to win the whole thing now

Roma prob beat them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Of those left I'd like to see Bayern win it. Another FU to Pep. After that Roma for a change followed by Madrid just for Ronaldo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Of those left I'd like to see Bayern win it. Another FU to Pep. After that Roma for a change followed by Madrid just for Ronaldo.

Exactly the same as my self

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

That Tinder sponsorship is REALLY working out for City :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I can't see them beating Real or Bayern.

I can see them beating Bayern.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Jesus, City and Barca out in one night.

Actually makes me more angry bout the CL exit now.

A case of what could've been had they been bothered to turn up against Sevilla at Old Trafford..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Honestly I can see Pool wining it. Salah is just in phenomenal scoring form.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Turtwig wrote: »

but Ronaldo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Turtwig wrote: »

The stars would have to align. Madrid would have made sh*te of them tonight. City had them all over the place but couldn’t trouble the keeper.

Real/Bayern final in May.

Pretty much that, the stars will need to align which they may very well do of course.......I just wouldn't bet on it

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Real/Bayern final in May.

Unless the get drawn in semi final :)

At least there'll be another Sevilla/Liverpool, and we all know how those turned out in recent years...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Tonight’s loss now means that Pep Guardiola has lost as many home games in 3 weeks as Mourinho has lost at United in 2 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Tonight’s loss now means that Pep Guardiola has lost as many home games in 3 weeks as Mourinho has lost at United in 2 years

But pep loses them sexiliy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

MrMac84 wrote: »
    I see Mo Salah has nailed his Real Madrid audition again tonight! Fair play to him he has galactico wrote all over him!

But based on suarez and coutinho i thought Liverpool were the feeder club for barca, not madrid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I can see them beating Bayern.

I dunno, I think of the 3 remaining teams Roma is there best chance (obviously) but all three teams set up the exact way to play against Pool, quick counter attacking football built on a steady defence. I thought A match against Barca would be their best bet to get to the final. High line and loads of space to exploit. Just can’t see they others affording them that space

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

If the worse comes too the worst and Liverpool end up winning the EC. The pressure on Jose too win one of the big two next season would be enormous. His job would depend on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Bret Hart wrote: »
    If the worse comes too the worst and Liverpool end up winning the EC. The pressure on Jose too win one of the big two next season would be enormous. His job would depend on it.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that his job would depend on it but there's certainly a lot of pressure on him already. He's already been shown up in the league by Pep and now in Europe by Klopp. He'll have to make an impression on the business end of at least one of those competitions next season for it to be considered a success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Is that correct? The last 3 weeks? Either way it's one of those hyperbolic stats trying to big up Jose and knock Pep down a peg or two. Looking at their entire records it's interesting to see that they have quite similar numbers. Jose should be given some credit for this. Although LVG had a similar record over his two years.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that his job would depend on it but there's certainly a lot of pressure on him already. He's already been shown up in the league by Pep and now in Europe by Klopp. He'll have to make an impression on the business end of at least one of those competitions next season for it to be considered a success.

Shown up in the league by losing out to a team that went on a run of what 18,19 wins on the bounce? Right, and shown up in Europe by Klopp? In what way? Did Klopp win something this season with Liverpool I don't about? (Rhetorical question)

There is not a lot of pressure on Mourinho already, and nor should there be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

City to self destruct now and go on a 5 game losing streak and we do the league and FA cup double, seems about as likely as Barcaalona losing the Champions League quarter final to Roma on away goals doesn't it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Still not got over Saturday.

Shown up in the league by losing out to a team that went on a run of what 18,19 wins on the bounce? Right, and shown up in Europe by Klopp? In what way? Did Klopp win something this season with Liverpool I don't about? (Rhetorical question)

There is not a lot of pressure on Mourinho already, and nor should there be.

Klopp has gotten two rounds further than Mourinho with an inferior collection of players bar his front 3. They scored 5 goals over their two legs in knocking out Man City who were the favourites to win the Champions League, beating them home and away in the process. We managed 1 goal over two games against Sevilla, winning neither.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Klopp has gotten two rounds further than Mourinho with an inferior collection of players bar his front 3. They scored 5 goals over their two legs in knocking out Man City who were the favourites to win the Champions League, beating them home and away in the process. We managed 1 goal over two games against Sevilla, winning neither.

If only football was so simple.

So we have gone from not giving mourinho credit for winning two trophies last year to praising managers for getting through rounds of cup competitions.

Never ending bullsh1t.

And this is what qualifies as being shown up?

Brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

After watching City's season filter out, while it's still a excellent season winning The League and Cup it has made be realise more and more just how Dam good our 1999 season was.

To win the Big 3 in one season is next to impossible and only United have come close a few times past 25 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭lorcand1990

After watching City's season filter out, while it's still a excellent season winning The League and Cup it has made be realise more and more just how Dam good our 1999 season was.

To win the Big 3 in one season is next to impossible and only United have come close a few times past 25 years

Even winning the Premier League/FA Cup double is very rare, hasn't been done since Chelsea in 2010.

United did it 3 times in the 90's, that team was incredible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

So - Man United stuff....

Would love to know what the long term plans are for the squad. Obviously we would never be told, but there is so much up in the air, imo.

At a very basic level I would love to know what formation Jose wants to play - given Pogba is a problem he is yet to really solve.

Does Jose think Pogba can be effective and made the most of in a 2 man midfield (requiring Pogba to be a lot better defensively than he is).
    Does he think and plan (as has been speculated) that we need a 3 man midfield, giving Pogba a free role in that 3, to get the best out of him and ultimately the team in general?

I think United need to sign some midfielders in the summer but the answer to the question above would weigh heavily on what the numbers and quality needed are. If it is three man, I think we need to go big for a first choice to play with Pogba and Matic (Herrera has not shown the quality needed for 99% of this season and I would have huge issues with making McTominay that first choice too). If he think Pogba and Matic in a more conservative 2 then it is possibly a rotation option that is needed more so than first choice.

I think playing directly into that will be the issues in defense. We certainly need a new left back, imo a new right back and I would also say a new centre back. If we are going for those three, you are looking at a lot of money which could restrict what can happen in midfield.

2008 was brilliant as well and we should have done the treble that year as well lost to portsmouth in fa cup

So by that logic, Jose has shown up both Klopp and Pochettino in the league along with every other manager bar Pep

Would love to know what the long term plans are for the squad. Obviously we would never be told, but there is so much up in the air, imo.

At a very basic level I would love to know what formation Jose wants to play - given Pogba is a problem he is yet to really solve.

Time and again, Jose has shown he wants the 4-2-3-1. If not for the Pogba issue, I think he'd be playing that every chance he gets.

There was talks yesterday from some good sources for PSG news that Pogba is weighing up a move to them, and I do wonder if Jose wouldn't consider a massive money move in return for removing that "problem".

I think he'll have 150m to spend with no outgoings. That's probably going to be on a new FB, CB and CM, and then a forth rotation player for the FB or CM position.

But if he could get 80m for Martial, I think he would and then go for a new RW attacker.

And if he could get 150m or so for Pogba....there was talk after the Sevilla game that Woody was fully committed to Jose and was ready to finally pull the trigger on a massive overhaul. If Jose could sell Pogba and Martial, and then look to have a 400m budget for the window, I think he'd take that trade off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭lorcand1990

Does Jose think Pogba can be effective and made the most of in a 2 man midfield (requiring Pogba to be a lot better defensively than he is).
    Does he think and plan (as has been speculated) that we need a 3 man midfield, giving Pogba a free role in that 3, to get the best out of him and ultimately the team in general?

I think United need to sign some midfielders in the summer but the answer to the question above would weigh heavily on what the numbers and quality needed are. If it is three man, I think we need to go big for a first choice to play with Pogba and Matic (Herrera has not shown the quality needed for 99% of this season and I would have huge issues with making McTominay that first choice too). If he think Pogba and Matic in a more conservative 2 then it is possibly a rotation option that is needed more so than first choice.

I think playing directly into that will be the issues in defense. We certainly need a new left back, imo a new right back and I would also say a new centre back. If we are going for those three, you are looking at a lot of money which could restrict what can happen in midfield.

Personally I think we need to get Pogba further up the field consistently, he's much more dangerous as the most advanced of a midfield 3. Jose doesn't seem convinced on Herrera as an option for a full season- he only seems to play sporadically, so that means we will need a more versatile midfield option coming in, someone who gets around the pitch & breaks up play

For me, left back is the priority in the summer, young has filled in well at left back but I can't see him as a long term option in that position if we want to progress. Valencia has another season or 2 in him at right back (the guy is a tank!) & although we have plenty of options at center back, Bailly is the only one I would trust over a season.

I's say a fair few defenders will go over the summer- Shaw, Blind, Rojo & Darmian are 4 that would be on the list, so that may free up funds to bring in replacements

First priority is a left back, second priority is centre mid & thirdly a centre back IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

astradave wrote: »
    So by that logic, Jose has shown up both Klopp and Pochettino in the league along with every other manager bar Pep

No..

But...but.... wait...

They're in 3rd and 4th the "right way"

Thinking, I'd like to see...
    Lukaku
    Sanchez - Pogba - New RW
    Matic - New CM
    New LB - Bailly - New CB - New RB
    DDG

Probably a bit greedy to think five new first teamers though

Then, backup
    Rashford
    Lingard - ? - Mata
    McT - Herrera
    Young - Rojo - Lindelof - Valencia

Shaw, Darmian, Blind, one of Smalling or Jones probably. Fellaini.

Am I forgetting anyone?

I wonder if Perrira is any more inclined to be a rotation player next season. Would be an option for that ? on the second team.

Time and again, Jose has shown he wants the 4-2-3-1. If not for the Pogba issue, I think he'd be playing that every chance he gets.

There was talks yesterday from some good sources for PSG news that Pogba is weighing up a move to them, and I do wonder if Jose wouldn't consider a massive money move in return for removing that "problem".

I think he'll have 150m to spend with no outgoings. That's probably going to be on a new FB, CB and CM, and then a forth rotation player for the FB or CM position.

But if he could get 80m for Martial, I think he would and then go for a new RW attacker.

And if he could get 150m or so for Pogba....there was talk after the Sevilla game that Woody was fully committed to Jose and was ready to finally pull the trigger on a massive overhaul. If Jose could sell Pogba and Martial, and then look to have a 400m budget for the window, I think he'd take that trade off.

The problem then is any player we go and try to sign the selling club will be looking for over 100m for any player we are after as they know we have the money

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    If only football was so simple.

So we have gone from not giving mourinho credit for winning two trophies last year to praising managers for getting through rounds of cup competitions.

Never ending bullsh1t.

When did I not give credit for winning two (second rate) trophies? Nevertheless, it's interesting that another poster posts some throwaway stat that Pep has lost as many home games in 3 weeks as Mourinho has in two years and it's pretty well received. When Mourinho's shortcomings in the CL this season are highlighted relative to Klopp's, whose team features the likes of Milner, Henderson and Karius, it's regarded as "never ending bullsh1t". Sums up the fickleness of some posters here.

And this is what qualifies as being shown up?

Brilliant.

Yeah, it shows that a bit of coaching and the right game plan and tactics can help yield results. It shows what can be achieved when a manager gets the most out of his players. Especially when you consider that we added Sanchez to our squad in January and Liverpool lost Coutinho, it makes Liverpool's progress in the Champions League so far even more impressive.

If you like. I don't recall Klopp or Poch spending comparable amounts of money to Mourinho, or being able to offer the same salaries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

A LB and at least one centre mid are the priorities with a partner for Bailly not far behind.RB back may be OK for another season but if the funds were available I'd like to see a signing there as well. Maybe TFM back from Palace to fight it out for a starting spot?

Alderweireld would be a very good option for CB at a relatively low price.

There should be plenty of dead wood sold in the summer who won't make huge money but will help funding new players.

I think United realistically need 4 good signings in the summer no matter who leaves the club. Still too many area's of weakness in that squad.
    Will the club back Jose with 200m or more?

I don’t agree there tbh, he really only uses that in the bigger games. And then it’s just because he wants more steel on front of the defence. He doesn’t use a no10 but more of an 8.5 really in those games. Against the smaller teams it’s nearly always a 433 with one sitting midfielder and 2 pushed up, like false 10’s, when the ball is lost those two are expected to help out defensively, the three up top all interchange, to a lesser extent to what he usually uses though. But you will see Lukaku going out right and then Sanchez moving centre when he does.

It’s basically a a 4123 in attack and a 4321 without the ball. In the bigger games its 4231 in attack with the second midfielder not having as much attacking input and 2 banks of 4 in defence with with one staying further up and one roving.

If we can bring in another midfielder of the Vidal/Nainggolan mould we will see Pogba be that roving midfielder, the 8.5.

When did I not give credit for winning two (second rate) trophies? Nevertheless, it's interesting that another poster posts some throwaway stat that Pep has lost as many home games in 3 weeks as Mourinho has in two years and it's pretty well received. When Mourinho's shortcomings in the CL this season are highlighted relative to Klopp's, whose team features the likes of Milner, Henderson and Karius, it's regarded as "never ending bullsh1t". Sums up the fickleness of some posters here.

Yeah, it shows that a bit of coaching and the right game plan and tactics can help yield results. It shows what can be achieved when a manager gets the most out of his players. Especially when you consider that we added Sanchez to our squad in January and Liverpool lost Coutinho, it makes Liverpool's progress in the Champions League so far even more impressive.

If you like. I don't recall Klopp or Poch spending comparable amounts of money to Mourinho, or being able to offer the same salaries.

Ah so it’s to do with Net spend, so you must agree that Pep hasn’t really shown Jose up in the league as he has actually spent significantly more than Jose on his team and used a stronger base to build on

Is there not a clause in Martials contract that any price above €/£60m and Monaco are entitled to half the fee? I thought I read an article about it the other day.

If it is true and United sold him you'd have to sell him for €/£120m + to get over €/£60m. Easier to just sell for the 60m

Is there not a clause in Martials contract that any price above €/£60m and Monaco are entitled to half the fee? I thought I read an article about it the other day.

If it is true and United sold him you'd have to sell him for €/£120m + to get over €/£60m. Easier to just sell for the 60m

Between 70/90m they get half the difference, basically 10m. Between 90-100 they get 5m and over 100m they get nothing.. that’s what was in the leak anyways

Ah so it’s to do with Net spend, so you must agree that Pep hasn’t really shown Jose up in the league as he has actually spent significantly more than Jose on his team and used a stronger base to build on

Never mentioned net spend and I wouldn't say he has spent significantly more either, certainly not to create such a gap between the teams in the league. I personally don't believe his starting base was as strong as many here like to make out. The teams finished level on points in the league when both managers took over. I would say Pep definitely had a stronger group of players to start with but they are about season's worth of development ahead of United now if not more.

Between 70/90m they get half the difference, basically 10m. Between 90-100 they get 5m and over 100m they get nothing.. that’s what was in the leak anyways

Ah half the difference. When I read it I thought it was half the fee. I just assumed that United had no plans to sell Martial and saw him staying for a long long time and were not worried about that clause.

Never mentioned net spend and I wouldn't say he has spent significantly more either, certainly not to create such a gap between the teams in the league. I personally don't believe his starting base was as strong as many here like to make out. The teams finished level on points in the league when both managers took over. I would say Pep definitely had a stronger group of players to start with but they are about season's worth of development ahead of United now if not more.

I thought I had seen on here that he had spent 30% more than Jose, that’s a lot, especially when you are starting on a better base. At the end of the day, in a normal season we would be there or thereabouts with the points total and Ppg avg that we have now, we are one of only 2 teams(the other is City) to have a win against every other team in the league.

City are still on course for a record breaking points total (I think)and while it’s disappointing that we are not closer, we have to look at the context of the situation. I don’t think we will see City get as close to what they are this year again either so I expect us to be thereabouts next season. If we are not, then we can look at why, and we all know the answer to that will be Jose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

This fella was linked strongly with United.

"Chelsea initiate contact over signing Jean-Michael Seri, €40m transfer very likely this summer".

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/983979520523988993

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement