Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

bangkok wrote: »
    Why?

Bullshít call. Vazquez was on his way down for a start and it was the slightest tap in the back, no way worthy of a penalty.

Not a prayer he gives that in the other box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭secman

J. Marston wrote: »
    Bullshít call. Vazquez was on his way down for a start and it was the slightest tap in the back, no way worthy of a penalty.

Penalty all day long... and I'm for juve , super effort by them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

If the Juve player didn’t come through the back of Vazquez we would be watching extra time right now, stupid decision and a certain penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Benatia had lost his composure in those final few minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Clear peno. Not even a close call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Clear peno. Not even a close call

Agree 100%

Well that’s not going to quell the rumours Anthony!

https://twitter.com/anthonymartial/status/984173041570721797?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

All things considered I easily consider that to be the greatest penalty I have ever seen.

Unreal

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Jesus Christ

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

All things considered I easily consider that to be the greatest penalty I have ever seen.

Unreal

Agreed. 93rd minute, Real reeling, Juve fans whistling, Real fans chanting to try drown it out so the Bernabeu was an absolute cauldron, Juve losing the plot then ****housing for a solid 3 minutes with the substitution while their players give him absolute dogs abuse....up steps Ronaldo, takes a breath, snaps into focus and drills it into the top corner. Makes it completely irrelevant whether Buffon would have been on the pitch or not because that was never ever getting stopped. Fantastic stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/984180825863393280

"Breaking | PSG & Mino Raiola have held a series of initial discussions over the possible summer transfer of Paul Pogba from Manchester United, according to @parisunited6. More follows tomorrow."

Parisunited not exactly a reliable source but Raiola would sell his family to get a cut of the fee.

*Breaking news*

Blah blah blah rehashed story with slightly different specifics guarantees clicks

*Breaking news*

In other breaking news, following navas shocking performance in the cl quarter final real Madrid representatives have reached out to David de gea representatives to begin negotiations for a summer transfer as part of a major shake up at the Spanish Giants

My favourite bit of the PSG bs is the series of initial discussions part, a series of initial discussions no less

Sure it sounds like a contradiction but when your target audience is incapable of critical thinking you don't have to worry too much about those kind of details

*Breaking news*

Blah blah blah rehashed story with slightly different specifics guarantees clicks

*Breaking news*

In other breaking news, following navas shocking performance in the cl quarter final real Madrid representatives have reached out to David de gea representatives to begin negotiations for a summer transfer as part of a major shake up at the Spanish Giants

I think every United fan collectively groaned at that Navas howler tonight as we all know it now means we're going to be subjected to endless bull**** speculation about De Gea for the duration of the summer.

Yes they plan on a series of initial discussions, followed by exploring the possibility of further discussions if after 7 or 8 initial discussions seem to be going well.

astradave wrote: »
    Well that’s not going to quell the rumours Anthony!

https://twitter.com/anthonymartial/status/984173041570721797?s=21

Two things here IMO Dave...

1) If he addresses the current headlines, it could add a layer of credibility to them and that won't help. Fans could then say "If the rumours are bullshít then why is he even giving them the time of day?"

2) If he doesn't address them then that too will be questioned as suspicious or less than ideal.

I suspect his agent and United are in the midst of contract negotiations, and we're now specifically at that part where a club are stalling and an agent tries to use his 'Call in the Media' special power to sweeten the deal.

As much as I like Martial and hope there is a large element of bullshít at play here, if he is actually making a 'play me or I walk' threat, he is having a laugh. Any player who makes that threat is having a laugh. There are about 5 players in world football who could get such a clause in their contract. Thing is though, they don't need it as their form dictates those first team assurances.

Martial is not one of those top players. If these rumours are true, the agent is trying to get Martial another million pound per year. No agent in their right mind is going to expect Jose Mourinho (or any top manager/club) to allow such a clause to be placed in a contract. Let alone in the contract of a still developing, inconsistent youngster with game mentality questions still looming despite his talent and potential.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/984180825863393280

"Breaking | PSG & Mino Raiola have held a series of initial discussions over the possible summer transfer of Paul Pogba from Manchester United, according to @parisunited6. More follows tomorrow."

Parisunited not exactly a reliable source but Raiola would sell his family to get a cut of the fee.

£100,000,000 and Verratti and they can have him.

No thanks.

Look what pogba did 2nd half against 'the best team in the land'

Let him off the leash and thats what hes about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Pogba won't be sold.

Even if Mourinho was willing to let him go, which he probably would be, the club won't. He's worth too much. From a financial sense, from a global marketing sense, from a homegrown player point of view and finally from an optics standpoint.

I'd wager Pogba will outlast Mourinho at United. Only a silly Neymar type bid will change that and I don't think PSG are in a hurry to do that again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,348 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Talk today about United looking at increasing OT to 90,000 but would have to move out of OT while it was being done. Can't see it happening if that is the case. The money lost while away from OT, I think the RoI would be too long for the Glazers to be interested in it.

I don't think United would play at the CoM stadium, Anfield an obvious no go. Reebok?

I do think United moving to a new stadium is far more likely - club owns a pile of land nearby, more than enough to build a huge new stadium with entirely new corporate facilities, the ability to host more concerts etc. Could then sell OT or redevelop the site into a hotel/conferencing facilities etc. They would also be able to get sponsors involved on a new build easier, so costs somewhat diluted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭Unicrons Dad

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Time and again, Jose has shown he wants the 4-2-3-1. If not for the Pogba issue, I think he'd be playing that every chance he gets.

There was talks yesterday from some good sources for PSG news that Pogba is weighing up a move to them, and I do wonder if Jose wouldn't consider a massive money move in return for removing that "problem".

I think he'll have 150m to spend with no outgoings. That's probably going to be on a new FB, CB and CM, and then a forth rotation player for the FB or CM position.

But if he could get 80m for Martial, I think he would and then go for a new RW attacker.

And if he could get 150m or so for Pogba....there was talk after the Sevilla game that Woody was fully committed to Jose and was ready to finally pull the trigger on a massive overhaul. If Jose could sell Pogba and Martial, and then look to have a 400m budget for the window, I think he'd take that trade off.

Would you guys accept a trade from Chelsea of Kante and Willian for Pogba and Martial, I would and I think Jose would too

• Advertisement

Would you guys accept a trade from Chelsea of Kante and Willian for Pogba and Martial, I would and I think Jose would too

It's a bit early to be drinking.

It's a bit early to be drinking.

So why are you doing it so

They would have to top that up with about 200m too ;)

They would have to top that up with about 200m too ;)

Why, Both Pogba and Martial have been very inconsistent compared to Willian and Kante

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Lol

Talk today about United looking at increasing OT to 90,000 but would have to move out of OT while it was being done. Can't see it happening if that is the case. The money lost while away from OT, I think the RoI would be too long for the Glazers to be interested in it.

I don't think United would play at the CoM stadium, Anfield an obvious no go. Reebok?

I do think United moving to a new stadium is far more likely - club owns a pile of land nearby, more than enough to build a huge new stadium with entirely new corporate facilities, the ability to host more concerts etc. Could then sell OT or redevelop the site into a hotel/conferencing facilities etc. They would also be able to get sponsors involved on a new build easier, so costs somewhat diluted.

Talking about expanding for years. Cant see utd ever moving away from Old Trafford, imagine our new stadium, Cheverlot arena!!!

Lol

Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭lorcand1990

Talking about expanding for years. Cant see utd ever moving away from Old Trafford, imagine our new stadium, Cheverlot arena!!!

New Old Trafford has a certain ring to it :pac:

Why, Both Pogba and Martial have been very inconsistent compared to Willian and Kante

Sure Drinkwater wants to leave Chelsea,why not go for him too? ;)

I could see jose being only too happy to swap Martial for Willian - but Pogba for Kante would be insane. We should be looking to get a player like Kante to play with Pogba, not instead of him.

• Advertisement

but Pogba for Kante would be insane. We should be looking to get a player like Kante to play with Pogba, not instead of him.

That is bang on, we need a Kante type player who breaks up play & lets Pogba get up the pitch more consistently. Swapping them wouldn't make much sense as they're completely different players

I wouldn't swap Martial for Willian though, Willian is 29 (30 in August) so not a great long term solution, especially since Sanchez is the same age on the other wing

That is bang on, we need a Kante type player who breaks up play & lets Pogba get up the pitch more consistently. Swapping them wouldn't make much sense as they're completely different players

I wouldn't swap Martial for Willian though, Willian is 29 (30 in August) so not a great long term solution, especially since Sanchez is the same age on the other wing

Finally a proper opinion instead of an ignorant sarcastic wisecrack jibe from people that arent as smart as they think they are

Jose wants to play Sanchez from the left and Willian has played on the right, a weak spot in our squad.

So Jose would move on a player he questions, in a position we have a few players in, to replace him with a guy he loves in a position he needs. I don't think Willian being older, and more short term, should be considered an issue when we would still have young lads like Lukaku and Rashford, mid age (football wise) guys like Lingard and Pogba, and players like Chong and Gomes coming up through the youths.

Finally a proper opinion instead of an ignorant sarcastic wisecrack jibe from people that arent as smart as they think they are

You are so good at cultivating good will.

I disagree though swappng those make sense if Jose doesnt want to deviate from his 4231 system. Kante has alot more to his game than people realise.But it gives jose the defensive stability he needs without playing 3 in midfield

Matic-Kante
    Willian-Sanchez-Rashford
    Lukaku

I dont see anything wrong with the above as an example of what im talking about. It could possibly allow another super star signing like bale or a griezmann

Of course I suspect as a new poster nothing more than more jibes or wisecracks because its seems theres a bit of a boys club going in in here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

What do you expect when you talk about cliques in groups.

William has been anything but consistent this season he constantly goes missing in games he went missing when we played he is the type of player that looks great in 10 games put of 40 I'd compare him to a level of another mkhitaryan.

Not to mention his age.

And pogba for kante does not make sense so no.

I disagree though swappng those make sense if Jose doesnt want to deviate from his 4231 system. Kante has alot more to his game than people realise.But it gives jose the defensive stability he needs without playing 3 in midfield

Matic-Kante
    Willian-Sanchez-Rashford
    Lukaku

I dont see anything wrong with the above as an example of what im talking about. It could possibly allow another super star signing like bale or a griezmann

Of course I suspect as a new poster nothing more than more jibes or wisecracks because its seems theres a bit of a boys club going in in here
    Creative passing from midfield would not be good enough.

Sanchez and Rashford are good passers but there game is based more on speed and skill.

Willian is a good passer but more of a traditional winger.

Matic and Kante are good passers, but again they aren't capable of passes or vision like we can see from Pogba. Which is why we would have seen Fabregas be such an important player for Chelsea, or indeed Hazard (though his speed and skill are huge too).

Kante and Matic would provide a very good midfield base (as they did for Chelsea) but the rest of that lineup lacks a passing balance.

Matic
    --Kante
    Pogba
    Mata
    Sanchez
    Lukaku

To me, that would be a well balanced midfield and attack. Mata out for Willian (or rashford) would reduce the probing passes but with Pogba still in the side we'd have an outlet for that in him.

Actually, just read your 'woe is me, i'm such a victim last line. screw it, can't be arsed trying to discuss a topic when you are just looking to have a pop at the posters in here.

Jose wants to play Sanchez from the left and Willian has played on the right, a weak spot in our squad.

So Jose would move on a player he questions, in a position we have a few players in, to replace him with a guy he loves in a position he needs. I don't think Willian being older, and more short term, should be considered an issue when we would still have young lads like Lukaku and Rashford, mid age (football wise) guys like Lingard and Pogba, and players like Chong and Gomes coming up through the youths.

I do see the plus points of having Willian in the squad, & that he's a Jose type player, but would he actually add a lot to the squad as a whole, or would he just be another decent (not brilliant) option on the right wing? Is he that much better than Mata or Lingard?

I do see the plus points of having Willian in the squad, & that he's a Jose type player, but would he actually add a lot to the squad as a whole, or would he just be another decent (not brilliant) option on the right wing? Is he that much better than Mata or Lingard?

In terms of crossing, yes. A lot better. A lot more comfortable actually playing on the right hand side. Mata and Lingard will both ALWAYS look to come in field - which is why basically all our right wide width comes from Valencia.

• Advertisement

I could see jose being only too happy to swap Martial for Willian - but Pogba for Kante would be insane. We should be looking to get a player like Kante to play with Pogba, not instead of him.

Will be be 30 at start of next season. Chelsea would need to pay a hefty fee on top of that to get martial.

Creative passing from midfield would not be good enough.

Sanchez and Rashford are good passers but there game is based more on speed and skill.

Willian is a good passer but more of a traditional winger.

Matic and Kante are good passers, but again they aren't capable of passes or vision like we can see from Pogba. Which is why we would have seen Fabregas be such an important player for Chelsea, or indeed Hazard (though his speed and skill are huge too).

Kante and Matic would provide a very good midfield base (as they did for Chelsea) but the rest of that lineup lacks a passing balance.

Matic
    --Kante
    Pogba
    Mata
    Sanchez
    Lukaku

To me, that would be a well balanced midfield and attack. Mata out for Willian (or rashford) would reduce the probing passes but with Pogba still in the side we'd have an outlet for that in him.

Actually, just read your 'woe is me, i'm such a victim last line. screw it, can't be arsed trying to discuss a topic when you are just looking to have a pop at the posters in here.

Mata whilst a good pro isnt ideal there because he doesnt have pace. I personally think Pogba will be gone in the summer because Jose just doesnt trust him. He had a good second half V city last week but ges just woefully inconsistent. I personally would like to see us play 343 but Matic would have to go too to make that work efficiently and we'd also need 2 much better full backs

Will be be 30 at start of next season. Chelsea would need to pay a hefty fee on top of that to get martial.

I agree. Also as likely we'd just try to sell Martial elsewhere and buy Willian.

So not a direct swap but a sort of swap, in terms of the United squad.

Could see them doing it for a season. City still don't own it iirc. They'd probably allow it at any rate, the extra attendances and rent would let them cook the books for FFP nicely.

Would be funny to see us average a higher attendance than them at their own ground though. Again.

I would far far rather that than knocking Old Trafford to put up some soulless corporate dump. The very idea of it would sicken me

spiralism wrote: »
    Could see them doing it for a season. City still don't own it iirc. They'd probably allow it at any rate, the extra attendances and rent would let them cook the books for FFP nicely.

Would be funny to see us average a higher attendance than them at their own ground though. Again.

I would far far rather that than knocking Old Trafford to put up some soulless corporate dump. The very idea of it would sicken me

It will have to happen at some point - Old Trafford is in need of a huge amount of refurb to put it up there with the best. At some point it is likely that United will simply build a new, bigger, stadium which can be purposesfully designed around seating plans, corporate plans etc.

If you handled it right, i don't see it being an issue. They'd only be moving a few hundred yards - just make sure you incorporate the history of the club such as the trinity statue, the munich tunnel etc.

Honestly, there are a huge amount of good reasons to do it. It isn't like OT is a cauldron of atmosphere most of the time.

I personally wasn’t having a jibe or wisecrack and do believe if you sold all 4 individually the 2 united players would go for about 150m more than the Chelsea lads, so throw the rival tax and then that Pogba is a homegrown you have another 30m or so in this day and age.. I just rounded up to a nice aul figure of 200m

Their worth to United the Business is also essential when thinking about value

• Advertisement

It will have to happen at some point - Old Trafford is in need of a huge amount of refurb to put it up there with the best. At some point it is likely that United will simply build a new, bigger, stadium which can be purposesfully designed around seating plans, corporate plans etc.

If you handled it right, i don't see it being an issue. They'd only be moving a few hundred yards - just make sure you incorporate the history of the club such as the trinity statue, the munich tunnel etc.

Honestly, there are a huge amount of good reasons to do it. It isn't like OT is a cauldron of atmosphere most of the time.

Those sort of moves never work. The day we move from OT to the Chevrolet Stadium or whatever the **** they decide to call it is the day a piece of the club's soul dies forever. I also wouldn't trust them to not do things like name new stands after sponsors instead of Charlton and Fergie or stick the statues in a museum. It's not a cauldron of atmosphere for different reasons to the ground itself, the main one being what they're charging people to get in.

I'd far rather we kept forking out to refurb OT as needed. It's an iconic ground all over the world. You don't hear of, for example, Inter talking of knocking the San Siro because it needs some work or to make some suits happy.

I'd be ****ing disgusted if they did it honestly.

Those sort of moves never work. The day we move from OT to the Chevrolet Stadium or whatever the **** they decide to call it is the day a piece of the club's soul dies forever. I also wouldn't trust them to not do things like name new stands after sponsors instead of Charlton and Fergie or stick the statues in a museum. It's not a cauldron of atmosphere for different reasons to the ground itself, the main one being what they're charging people to get in.

I'd far rather we kept forking out to refurb OT as needed. It's an iconic ground all over the world. You don't hear of, for example, Inter talking of knocking the San Siro because it needs some work or to make some suits happy.

Actually they had been looking into it for years and even had plans on building a 60k stadium. They decided against it last year I think over costs and are going to refurbish the san Siro instead..

Actually they had been looking into it for years and even had plans on building a 60k stadium. They decided against it last year I think over costs and are going to refurbish the san Siro instead..

I think that was Milan, not Inter. It's Inter's ground.

Either way, they saw sense. You can't be knocking this sort of history and throwing up corporate playgrounds left and right. This isnt the NFL.

Madrid and Bilbao don't seem to be having an issue with their move.
    Bayern are doing pretty well at the Alianz Arena.

West Ham has been a disaster cause it is a disaster of a stadium.
    What is the disaster City have suffered for moving from Maine Road?
    You are expecting Spur's move to be a disaster?

I just don't see the problem.

Design a quality stadium. Be respectful of history. Could be 100k seater with bigger and better corporate facilities- match day revenue would go through the roof.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

While I agree with the gist of your post both Inter and AC Milan have put forward proposals to build new stadiums and leave the San Siro in recent years. Better examples would be Barcas and Reals imminent redevelopments of the Camp Nou and the Bernabeu.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement