Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

I have friends who are arsenal fans and they'd say he has been generally rubbish for them, with fleeting moments of goodness.

17 goals in 3 season. "Very good".

That's him in a nut shell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Best outcome for pool really, realistically Roma are there best chance at going through over 2 legs and they can beat anybody in a one off final.

Looking forward to the other semi should be a good match up and hopefully Roma can do a number on the other lot so I can watch the final with no creeping dread :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

spiralism wrote: »
    Good friend of mine works in an office full to the gills with liverpool fans, most of them ST holders. He's been relaying on some right shockers he's heard all morning like:

"doesn't matter who we were getting, we were gonna win anyways"

"wont bother going to the semi, i gave the city one a miss and i'll give this one too because i want to save money for Kiev"

"already ordered my 6 times tshirt off the website"

**** sake, im gonna have to put my plans for the summer on hold on account of this and go look for caves in outer mongolia to live in in case they win

I work with half a dozen and nobody reckons Liverpool win it. A chance yes, but the winners of the other game will be heavy favourites to beat the winner of Pool/Roma,

I'm calling BS from your mate :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

spiralism wrote:
    Good friend of mine works in an office full to the gills with liverpool fans, most of them ST holders. He's been relaying on some right shockers he's heard all morning like:

spiralism wrote:

spiralism wrote:
    "wont bother going to the semi, i gave the city one a miss and i'll give this one too because i want to save money for Kiev"

spiralism wrote:

spiralism wrote:
    **** sake, im gonna have to put my plans for the summer on hold on account of this and go look for caves in outer mongolia to live in in case they win

Strange How so many United fans know so many delusional pool fans.
    All you need to do is just look at the Champions league thread and the only ones saying Liverpool will have a handy tie to the final are non Liverpool fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

All you need to do is just look at the Champions league thread and the only ones saying Liverpool will have a handy tie to the final are non Liverpool fans.

The fella telling me this is an Arsenal fan. No reason he'd be lying. I suppose it would be so unlike your fanbase to crow? I recall the open top bus nearly being rolled out earlier in the season when ye went ahead of us for a day a month or so ago.

Everyone's saying Liverpool have a bye to the final, and they're right. Same as last time, this tie will be dead at half time of the first leg.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    I work with half a dozen and nobody reckons Liverpool win it. A chance yes, but the winners of the other game will be heavy favourites to beat the winner of Pool/Roma,

I'm calling BS from your mate :cool:

I said the same in 05 and they were way worse a team back then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

You don't stop and think that they might be winding your mate up as he's a Utd fan and he's biting.

I don't know any Liverpool fan who's saying any stuff like that and means it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I find Liverpool fans jump the gun far more than any other set of fans. I can’t explain it, we’re all just people from all walks of life but that’s something I’ve noticed over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I find Liverpool fans jump the gun far more than any other set of fans. I can’t explain it, we’re all just people from all walks of life but that’s something I’ve noticed over the years.

It's all about perception and also what you dread.

Many people find the exact same about Utd fans.

Look at people in here jumping the gun about how Liverpool are going to be beaten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Guess you get a few of these in every fan base, im sure there were a few utd fans thinking ye had the premier league in the bag after your good start to the season.

I just dont seem to see all the delusional Liverpool fans you guys make us out to be.

Well anyone thinking Liverpool have a bue to the final are just wrong, it is the best tie to get but they have just knocked Barca out...

This is probably based on your limited knowledge I'm guessing, so it's basically just your opinion.

I'd probably say it was Utd fans as asked the same question, but that's because Utd are the main rival team amongst peers. So easy to know it's probably not accurate.

Hardly that hard to explain if you really think about it?

This is probably based on your limited knowledge I'm guessing, so it's basically just your opinion.

I'd probably say it was Utd fans as asked the same question, but that's because Utd are the main rival team amongst peers.

They are singing we're going to win the league in 09 when it was never in their hands and in 2014 when it still wasn't wrapped up. Their fans making those 'make us dreams' banners, cheering the bus into the ground like they had it wrapped up, they do get a little on the giddy side

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I was at OT plenty of times in the 80s when we were singing we're going to win the league. It happens at all clubs when they think they have a sniff

I also find that newer fans of a club/match attendees tend to be a lot more optimistic, certainly than some of us who do remember the 80s! I suspect it's no different amongst Liverpool fans. Like it or not, we're all made of the same stuff and tend to behave in similar fashions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭54and56

The fella telling me this is an Arsenal fan. No reason he'd be lying.

Other than he knows someone who is easily led and will run with whatever he feeds him?

Just a theory of course :p

Easy, it's called confirmation bias. Check it out.

• Advertisement

Guess you get a few of these in every fan base, im sure there were a few utd fans thinking ye had the premier league in the bag after your good start to the season.

I just dont seem to see all the delusional Liverpool fans you guys make us out to be.

Well anyone thinking Liverpool have a bue to the final are just wrong, it is the best tie to get but they have just knocked Barca out...

Is probably jumping the gun/delusional??

Roma finished top of a group that had Chelsea and Ath.Madrid, and knocked out Barcelona.

No reason Roma can't win the whole thing.

Best outcome for pool really, realistically Roma are there best chance at going through over 2 legs and they can beat anybody in a one off final.

I just stole this from another poster (Sideswipe) but I think it sums things up quite nicely:-

Easiest Draw ≠ Easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I'd probably say it was Utd fans as asked the same question, but that's because Utd are the main rival team amongst peers. So easy to know it's probably not accurate.

This exactly, when one fan of a main rival says something stupid you tend to remember it and hope there proved wrong,
    I think most people who watch the game realise any team in a semi final are there on merit, In saying that Roma are 100% the easiest draw over two legs than Madrid or Bayern  but that does not make it an easy tie,
    Book markers are never to far off and Roma have the highest odds for a reason, but again of course its not a gimme and anything can happen in football last Roma Tuesday

Limited knowledge of what?

Edit: Actually don’t bother replying, you’re still the very same as you always were and I’ve no interest in anything you say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Jesus Christ lads hardley the place to discuss other teams fans it's not even a topic apart from anything else its pathetic and it won't even lead to a decent discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

murpho999 wrote: »
    It's all about perception and also what you dread.

Many people find the exact same about Utd fans.

Look at people in here jumping the gun about how Liverpool are going to be beaten.

Has anyone actually said this?

I’m talking about real life experiences. A guy I work with booked a flight to Liverpool, no ticket for the match, “just to be there when they won the league” a few years ago.

A mate of mine got tickets for the cup final recently that was expected to be Liverpool v United but Liverpool got knocked out in the semis.

Even this season, Liverpool finishing above United was just a formality to them.

I know a lot of fans of other teams and I haven’t seen that kind of stuff happen with them. They can be cocky and confident alright but not to that point of booking stuff before confirmation. It’s expectation rather than confidence.

I’m talking about real life experiences. A guy I work with booked a flight to Liverpool, no ticket for the match, “just to be there when they won the league” a few years ago.

A mate of mine got tickets for the cup final recently that was expected to be Liverpool v United but Liverpool got knocked out in the semis.

Even this season, Liverpool finishing above United was just a formality to them.

I know a lot of fans of other teams and I haven’t seen that kind of stuff happen with them. They can be cocky and confident alright but not to that point of booking stuff before confirmation. It’s expectation rather than confidence.

I actually don't mind the booking stuff just in case, you might get cheap flights or hotels if its long enough in advance.

I will stand by them looking stupid singing 'we are going to win the league' songs when it can still go belly up or is not even in your hands.

You're talking about your life experiences where you work with and are friends with Liverpool fans. Utd and Liverpool are the biggest supported clubs by far so it's hardly surprising everyone has these stories.

What I can't understand is the inability to decipher the bias from the real life experiences.

threein99 wrote: »
    I actually don't mind the booking stuff just in case, you might get cheap flights or hotels if its long enough in advance.

I'm guessing this is a universal practice in all walks of life, and not concentrated to a certain fanbase of a football team...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

When the fcuk did I start following the Liverpool thread

I'm guessing this is a universal practice in all walks of life, and not concentrated to a certain fanbase of a football team...

The bit you quoted is universal yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

astradave wrote: »

Hopefully the Red Tops move onto different story’s now but I can’t see it happening. United sell papers...

pjohnson wrote: »
    When the fcuk did I start following the Liverpool thread

I tried my best to get it back on topic :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Nonsense. I worked with and had several manchester united friends who booked tickets to Stockholm for the europa league final last season when the quarter final draw was made. You get fans like this in all big clubs.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Hopefully the Red Tops move onto different story’s now but I can’t see it happening. United sell papers...

He also said this when he was asked about buying competition for Lukaku, lovely bit of sarcasm at the end.. the press were all pretty inept today, same questions over and over

Do you want and need more competition for Lukaku next year?

“No, no. If I have more competitions for him I have more comp for the other ones you are saying are not happy because they are not playing. I probably have to reduce and have a squad of 12 or 13 players.”

ricero wrote: »
    Nonsense. I worked with and had several manchester united friends who booked tickets to Stockholm for the europa league final last season when the quarter final draw was made. You get fans like this in all big clubs.

I'd see that as common sense and avoiding paying through the nose if your team makes it through.

ricero wrote: »

I’m not doubting that at all. It’s just disproportionate in my experience.

You just like hanging around with a lot of Liverpool fans......admit it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

It is disproportionate in your experience because in the last 25 or so years every time United fans have said "this is gonna be our year to win the league/FA cup etc" we have had a disproportionate chance of actually winning it, compared to others who may have "slipped" up on the way

You just like hanging around with a lot of Liverpool fans......admit it!!

I have lots of Liverpool fan friends and yes, I like their company, they’re not precious little snowflakes like you have on here.

I also have lots of United fan friends. They’re far less likely to exhibit the behaviours I was referring to earlier. Which is strange given the successes enjoyed by both over the last 20 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Lets put the pool talk in the pool thread

The champions league talk in the champions league thread

And the Chinese whispers “my friend knows a fela who’s girlfriend works with a Roma fan who has tickets to the final” in.........well ANY other thread but this. Every club has clowns, it’s an argument about who has the biggest clowns. Pointless

Roll on the International Champions Cup. We're gonna win it. CL is only a warm-up for the ICC.

• Advertisement

The article is from the Daily mail but it’s quoting the sun but I’m not going to link it here as it’s all just click bait. Instead I’ll post the headline of the post on r/Reddevils for the shïts and giggles :D
    United players blasted music in the changing rooms after the derby on Saturday. The players goaded City after discovering they booked tables to celebrate their title win. “Booked tables have you? We’ll take your f***ing tables”. Jesse Lingard was among the most vocal.

Looks like Herrera is adapting a wait and see approach as regards his United future...
    I'm going to fulfill the year I've got left but I don't know if I will renew," the 28-year-old said. "We have started talks but nothing is decided yet."
    Full ESPN article with more quotes from Herrera about life at United, his recent spell out of the team and that really unfortunate spitting incident at the Ethiad...

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/soccer-transfers/story/3454627/ander-herrera-manchester-united-future-uncertain-without-new-contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Kieran Tierney being scouted again.

Kieran Tierney being scouted again.

Said I'd check him out on youtube as I dont watch any Scottish football.

Surely the last thing we need is another left sided attacking player :pac:

hes a LB in fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

We can try him on the right sure and if that dont work out we just call him crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Looks like Herrera is adapting a wait and see approach as regards his United future...

Full ESPN article with more quotes from Herrera about life at United, his recent spell out of the team and that really unfortunate spitting incident at the Ethiad...

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/soccer-transfers/story/3454627/ander-herrera-manchester-united-future-uncertain-without-new-contract

I'd guess he might not reviewit as a signing for mid might be on the for cm. I mean if anyone will know first he will

astradave wrote: »
    hes a LB in fairness

that is the joke hence the :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

He's basically another Robertson, another cracking young scottish left back, arguably with more potential. He's young, absolutely quality and has put in great shifts marking the likes of Robben in Europe.

Also a boyhood Celtic fan with 6 years left on his deal and probably next in line for the captain's armband at 20. Don't see him moving any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,362 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

He's basically another Robertson, another cracking young scottish left back, arguably with more potential. He's young, absolutely quality and has put in great shifts marking the likes of Robben in Europe.

Also a boyhood Celtic fan with 6 years left on his deal and probably next in line for the captain's armband at 20. Don't see him moving any time soon.
    100% disagree.

If he moves to United he will double the wages he could ever hope to get at celtic and also play and challenge himself at a far higher level which will help him become the best he can be.

I find the idea of him staying at celtic for a prolonged period is insane, would speak of him having no ambition beyond sitting in a comfort zone.

Maybe not this summer, but if he continues his trajectory he has to be going by summer 19.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement