Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Is anyone finding this attitude of teams in the quarter finals to just go for it and forget about the away goal refreshing? It's served up some brilliant entertainment and light years from the dross we were served up in the Sevilla games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

100% disagree.

If he moves to United he will double the wages he could ever hope to get at celtic and also play and challenge himself at a far higher level which will help him become the best he can be.

I find the idea of him staying at celtic for a prolonged period is insane, would speak of him having no ambition beyond sitting in a comfort zone.

Maybe not this summer, but if he continues his trajectory he has to be going by summer 19.

Well I wouldn't call Totti or Le Tissier as lacking ambition. Loyalty isn't a bad thing. Uncommon but not bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

@ManUtd: Don't forget, live and free coverage of #MUFC 18s v Man City gets under way on @YouTube in just 15 minutes!

👉 http://manutd.co/K6V https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/985102883522842624/photo/1

Daley Blind interview with Ajax Showtime.

“United still have faith in me. I hear that the club’s high-ups are satisfied with me, and they just want me to keep on working,” he told Ajax Showtime magazine. “There are lots of transfer rumours surrounding United. Five or six players in my position are linked to the club every week, and given my contract situation it’s logical people have written about me leaving.

“Jose Mourinho gave me over 30 matches in his first year in charge, which not everyone had expected. He stated his faith in me, and I have done my best to reward him. I have a great relationship with him. He always involves me with the first team, even though he picks other players.

“That can happen at this level - this is Manchester United, and there is lots of competition for places. It’s down to me to keep working hard, get as many minutes as possible and show what I can do.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

100% disagree.

If he moves to United he will double the wages he could ever hope to get at celtic and also play and challenge himself at a far higher level which will help him become the best he can be.

I find the idea of him staying at celtic for a prolonged period is insane, would speak of him having no ambition beyond sitting in a comfort zone.

Maybe not this summer, but if he continues his trajectory he has to be going by summer 19.

If I was his agent I would suggest joining an Everton or some other mid table team, but not united. Even arsenal would be a good move considering how much Wenger bloods young players. He would get a huge wage bump, go up a level and get games. If he’s good enough he will end up at a large club anyway.

If he is was going to united, he should insist on being loaned out unless he is going to get games.

I would also agree with pjohnson that amibition is different for some players. Ambition to be the best player you can be does not automatically equate to playing for the best team you can. If you prioritize loyalty or living in a certain area or even playing for a club where you can express yourself in the way you enjoy football the most you are setting your own challenges. Is it more laudable to join a club like city or remaining at a lower level for different reasons? (Henrik Larson comes to mind).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Daley Blind interview with Ajax Showtime.

“United still have faith in me. I hear that the club’s high-ups are satisfied with me, and they just want me to keep on working,” he told Ajax Showtime magazine. “There are lots of transfer rumours surrounding United. Five or six players in my position are linked to the club every week, and given my contract situation it’s logical people have written about me leaving.

“Jose Mourinho gave me over 30 matches in his first year in charge, which not everyone had expected. He stated his faith in me, and I have done my best to reward him. I have a great relationship with him. He always involves me with the first team, even though he picks other players.

“That can happen at this level - this is Manchester United, and there is lots of competition for places. It’s down to me to keep working hard, get as many minutes as possible and show what I can do.”

That’s the sort of stuff you want to be hearing from players not involved as much as they want to be.. seems to like Jose too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,362 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

pjohnson wrote: »
    Well I wouldn't call Totti or Le Tissier as lacking ambition. Loyalty isn't a bad thing. Uncommon but not bad.

Totally the same thing.

Playing for celtic in Scotland, now, is the sane as staying at one of the biggest clubs in Italy, one of the biggest leagues around, over the course of your career.

I would also say le tiss did lack the ambition to follow through on the potential moves to Chelsea or spurs. He was happy being the maverick genius with little requirement to work his arse off.

You are talking about a guy playing in a 1 team league, where the best he can hope for is to maybe get a decent result in the CL before maybe a decent night in europa league.

Will he be testing himself against quality right wingers? Will he better himself with the experience of all the big games he is going to play in?

If he wants to be the best he can be, he won't do so by stating at celtic for the next 6 years.

Whether it is this summer or next, or to United or some other side, he should move if he wants to become the best player he can become.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

pjohnson wrote: »

I actually would say Le Tiss lacked ambition he could have gotten several moves but was happy to be the main man at a smaller club.No real pressure on him.
    Totti was still playing at the very top with one of the biggest clubs in Italy. He won the league and Cup and regular appearances in CL. He could have moved to win more but still a very good career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Totally the same thing.

Playing for celtic in Scotland, now, is the sane as staying at one of the biggest clubs in Italy, one of the biggest leagues around, over the course of your career.

I would also say le tiss did lack the ambition to follow through on the potential moves to Chelsea or spurs. He was happy being the maverick genius with little requirement to work his arse off.

You are talking about a guy playing in a 1 team league, where the best he can hope for is to maybe get a decent result in the CL before maybe a decent night in europa league.

Will he be testing himself against quality right wingers? Will he better himself with the experience of all the big games he is going to play in?

If he wants to be the best he can be, he won't do so by stating at celtic for the next 6 years.

Whether it is this summer or next, or to United or some other side, he should move if he wants to become the best player he can become.

Even if he wanted to go If he stuck around for say, 3 more years he would be in with a good shot of getting Celtic to a record ten in a row. He'd go down in the club's history as a legendary player and would probably be captain around then. Loads of time left if he even went then, he'd only be 23.

If it was about money, he'd already have ****ed off to a midtable side in the prem. He's a boyhood fan of the club, grew up in Glasgow supporting Celtic. Could genuinely see him doing a Totti on it.

Either way, i don't see him as a realistic target any time soon. Not with 6 years left on his deal and him not in any way angling for a move. Not like his career is going too badly right now, he's captained his national team at 20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

De gea nominated for pfa player of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Looks like a win tomorrow will wrap up a top 4 finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

paulbok wrote: »
    Looks like a win tomorrow will wrap up a top 4 finish

Sorry :o

paulbok wrote: »
    Sorry :o

Conte will never know the debt he owes you. But we know paulbok, we know ;)

One for TheDoc

https://twitter.com/Priya8Ramesh/status/985199678059958277

"Memphis is one of only 4 players so far, in the top 5 European leagues with double figures for goals (14) and assists (11) this season, along with Messi (29G 12A), Neymar (19G 13A), and Florian Thauvin (16G 10A)."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

It’s the French league. Even Ballotelli looked good there over there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Don't suppose this Spurs will show up next week.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    It’s the French league. Even Ballotelli looked good there over there

Even Thauvin looks good there.

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »
    Don't suppose this Spurs will show up next week.

No way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Only thing that interests me now in the league is De Gea hopefully winning the golden glove award.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

4 ahead of Spurs with a game in hand, anyway. Should be 7 by tomorrow.

1 ahead of Pool with 2 in hand, so should be 7 ahead of them soon too.

It's crazy to think we're 11 ahead of the league title holders, with a game in hand.

And 17 ahead of Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Lord TSC wrote: »
    4 ahead of Spurs with a game in hand, anyway. Should be 7 by tomorrow.

1 ahead of Pool with 2 in hand, so should be 7 ahead of them soon too.

It's crazy to think we're 11 ahead of the league title holders, with a game in hand.

And 17 ahead of Arsenal.

And we could still win the league on goal difference ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Score predictions for tomorrow afternoon?

Comfortable victory or grinding one out?

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Score predictions for tomorrow afternoon?

Comfortable victory or grinding one out?

3-0... scrappy 25 mins Sanchez and Pogback to link up. Fancy Johnny Evans for an OG too

• Advertisement

Harry Maguire is the latest CB linked with United.
    The Mirror.

Harry Maguire is the latest CB linked with United.
    The Mirror.

He seems to get linked every couple of weeks, then it goes silent again.. think he is good for where he is, not sure he would make the step up. Don't think he is better than what we already have there anyways

I think we have enough centerbacks of McGuire level if we are going to upgrade centerbacks it should be a top class centerbacks on an international level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

astradave wrote:
    He seems to get linked every couple of weeks, then it goes silent again.. think he is good for where he is, not sure he would make the step up. Don't think he is better than what we already have there anyways

jayo26 wrote:
    I think we have enough centerbacks of McGuire level if we are going to upgrade centerbacks it should be a top class centerbacks on an international level.

Maybe the thought is a younger English and home based player to replace Jones or Smalling going out the door

brinty wrote: »
    Maybe the thought is a younger English and home based player to replace Jones or Smalling going out the door

Never mind talking sense I sent you a pm do what I told you to do and stay quiet.

• Advertisement

He is certainly not afraid to bring the ball out from the back, now I haven't seen much of him this year but I wouldnt say no once its after a new cm or 2 a right sided attacking player and a new lb and rb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

One for TheDoc

https://twitter.com/Priya8Ramesh/status/985199678059958277

"Memphis is one of only 4 players so far, in the top 5 European leagues with double figures for goals (14) and assists (11) this season, along with Messi (29G 12A), Neymar (19G 13A), and Florian Thauvin (16G 10A)."

Sterling?

POKERKING wrote: »
    Sterling?

And Salah, I don’t think the tweeter really fact checked..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

astradave wrote: »
    And Salah, I don’t think the tweeter really fact checked..

I think it's league stats? Salah only has 9 assists.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I think it's league stats? Salah only has 9 assists.

Ten according to Transfermarkt.. Erikson has 10 and 10 after last night but don’t know if the one Kane robbed is included..

Edit: Salah has 10 on the PL website too

Ten according to Transfermarkt.. Erikson has 10 and 10 but don’t know if the one Kane robbed is included..

I was looking at Squawka but maybe that didn't include yesterday's games?

I was looking at Squawka but maybe that didn't include yesterday's games?

Neither does transfermarkt, Salah didn’t have an assist yesterday anyways :D

Here ya go https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/mohamed-salah/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/148455/saison/2017/wettbewerb/GB1/verein/31

The PL site is only showing 9 for me but 10 for you... What's going on :pac:

The PL site is only showing 9 for me but 10 for you... What's going on :pac:

Under team play https://www.premierleague.com/players/5178/Mohamed-Salah/stats

Edit: Just realised that that’s total so probably includes his time at Chelsea, maybe where we are getting mixed up.. wonder which one the PL didn’t attribute to him that transfermarkt did

Predictions for today?

I'm hoping we see United cut loose and get a convincing win. 4-0.

• Advertisement

Under team play https://www.premierleague.com/players/5178/Mohamed-Salah/stats

Edit: Just realised that that’s total so probably includes his time at Chelsea, maybe where we are getting mixed up.. wonder which one the PL didn’t attribute to him that transfermarkt did

Could transfermarkt be like FPL where players are given an assist if they are fouled for a penalty?

Zlatan with the winner on his full debut for LA Galaxy.

MEN with the squad seen at The Lowry.

Confirmed United squad members.

Goalkeepers: David de Gea, Joel Pereira, Kieran O'Hara

Defenders: Antonio Valencia, Chris Smalling, Phil Jones, Victor Lindelof, Marcos Rojo, Ashley Young

Midfielders: Ander Herrera, Scott McTominay, Nemanja Matic, Paul Pogba

Defenders: Antonio Valencia, Chris Smalling, Phil Jones, Victor Lindelof, Marcos Rojo, Ashley Young

That is taking parking the bus to another level he hasn't named any attackers in the squad let alone starting team.

McTominay upfront with Pogba in the midfield 3.

Here is the proper un****ed up version :)

Confirmed United squad members

Forwards: Alexis Sanchez, Juan Mata, Jesse Lingard, Marcus Rashford, Anthony Martial, Romelu Lukaku

jayo26 wrote: »
    Here is the proper un****ed up version :)

Confirmed United squad members

Forwards: Alexis Sanchez, Juan Mata, Jesse Lingard, Marcus Rashford, Anthony Martial, Romelu Lukaku

Fcuk it. If I dont get a 6-3-1 led by McTominay I'll be devastated.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Am I right in saying a loss for West Brom today means they can only stay up if Swansea lose all their remaining games, AND West brom overturn the 7 goal difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,459 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Predictions for today?

I'm hoping we see United cut loose and get a convincing win. 4-0.

Dreamt last night we drew 0-0, hopefully your prediction is the more accurate.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Am I right in saying a loss for West Brom today means they can only stay up if Swansea lose all their remaining games, AND West brom overturn the 7 goal difference?

Yep. Swansea would have a game more to play as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement