Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

BenK wrote: »
    Considering United's play at the moment, don't think we are in a great position to be making digs at Liverpool's team at the moment, even their defense!

It’s not a dig. The pressure on united players is ridiculous in comparison to any player at Liverpool. I think Shaw is good enough to play at the top level of the game but needs to get a good run at a club where his defensive frailties won’t put him under pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Simon Stone of the BBC saying Shaw has decided he wants to leave following the comments by Jose.

Go cry into a pizza, Luke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

J. Marston wrote: »
    Go cry into a pizza, Luke.

very mature comment there

bangkok wrote: »
    very mature comment there

Years of fitness issues. My patience has worn thin.

Unlike Shaw!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

Drumpot wrote: »
    It’s not a dig. The pressure on united players is ridiculous in comparison to any player at Liverpool. I think Shaw is good enough to play at the top level of the game but needs to get a good run at a club where his defensive frailties won’t put him under pressure.

Fair enough, don't think I necessarily agree on the pressure angle though. It's another excuse for Shaw.

• Advertisement

If you can't have a dig at those beneath you, who you have just beaten to pop their latest bubble then who can you have a dig at?

I agree, I'd just rather get the digs in when we're on firmer footing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Scholes on shaw

"I couldn't see a difference between him and Young," Scholes said on BT Sport

"I think sometimes, managers get in their head that there's a player not for them. For me, he could be brilliant and still his manager will still find something wrong with him. It is disappointing because when Luke Shaw came you thought, 'what a left-back this is, he could be the best'. I still believe he could be the best in the world and in the summer he could go to Tottenham or somewhere and he will improve."

Well then he, like you, is blinded by bias against the manager, Young came on and offered so much more both attack wise and defensively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

We don't know what goes on behind closed doors but Shaw was bigged up by Jose after a run of games in January and then promptly dropped. Someone lacking confidence will feel that hard, he responded to initial criticisms and got into the team, gets all good coverage from Jose who then drops him for 6 weeks. If i was a player I'd be fairly mind ****ed by that

Unlike Shaw!

a broken leg that kept him out of the game for a year and he has been back fit now for the last few months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

duffman13 wrote: »
    We don't know what goes on behind closed doors but Shaw was bigged up by Jose after a run of games in January and then promptly dropped. Someone lacking confidence will feel that hard, he responded to initial criticisms and got into the team, gets all good coverage from Jose who then drops him for 6 weeks. If i was a player I'd be fairly mind ****ed by that

Yeah but it's pointless to try work that out as we don't know what happens behind the scenes. He could have been dropped for no reason despite all the praise, or he could have been dropped for a reason such as taking his foot off the gas again once he got a bit of praise and becoming complacent.

All we do know is that 4 successive managers have been less then impressed with Luke's application

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

a broken leg that kept him out of the game for a year and he has been back fit now for the last few months

These kind of "misleading" posts are unhelpful to rational discussion.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Unlike Shaw!

Yeah, “fit”.

Shaw’s been the subject of successive managers’ ire.

We should cut him loose and let someone else worry about the kebab bills.

As for Pogba, there’s not a hope that we’d recoup our money on him! Yes, clubs would be interested, but nobody’s going to spend £90m on a flop.

We would easily get the money back and more off pogba.

Yeah, “fit”.

Shaw’s been the subject of successive managers’ ire.

We should cut him loose and let someone else worry about the kebab bills.

As for Pogba, there’s not a hope that we’d recoup our money on him! Yes, clubs would be interested, but nobody’s going to spend £90m on a flop.

another mature comment there, well done

Fair enough, don't think I necessarily agree on the pressure angle though. It's another excuse for Shaw.

I think some players thrive in certain environments. I don’t think it’s unfair to say that players playing for pool are in a far more forgiving environment then players playing for united.

United are having their best league season in 5 years and fans are still complaining. I don’t know if Liverpool players get stick for similar feats!

It’s not an insult, it’s just a fact. Liverpool fans cant slag united about the amount of money the club spends and then say it’s an insult when we say that united has bigger ambitions and bigger expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

If United were to sell Pogba in the summer (I don't think they should), I'm confident they would easily make back the money they paid for him.

I don't think that would be true in Europe, a stumbling block would be his wages. Who would be in a position to match what he is on? City, Real Madrid, Barca and prob PSG. I can't think of anyone else? And I don't see any of those clubs being interested.

Then that would leave China. They would be willing to pay the transfer fees and wages, but would he go? Stranger things have happened.

Could flog him to PSG no problem, Madrid would also take him you can be sure.

tinpib wrote: »
    I don't think that would be true in Europe, a stumbling block would be his wages. Who would be in a position to match what he is on? City, Real Madrid, Barca and prob PSG. I can't think of anyone else? And I don't see any of those clubs being interested.

Then that would leave China. They would be willing to pay the transfer fees and wages, but would he go? Stranger things have happened.

if pogba was available, all of those clubs would be interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If Nike wanting Neymar at Madrid is true then PSG would certainly want a new shiny marque player. They would pay more than we did in all likelihood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

pjohnson wrote: »
    I have no idea why he cited Valencia and Young as needing upgrading either. If Shaw does leave we will sign a new starting LB and Young will be backup LB. Valencia's replacement (TFM) will return to us in pre-season so no major surgery needed their either.

Still hurting about McTominay being excellent? Ha.

So nobody today posted about Fabinho, Danny Rose, or Sandro as replacements for Valencia and Young? And it’s because of their age just incase you didn’t read what I wrote.

Selective reading is a skill.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    If Nike wanting Neymar at Madrid is true then PSG would certainly want a new shiny marque player. They would pay more than we did in all likelihood.

Neymar or no neymar PSG being a French club means it is a dead cert they would pay whatever to land him. They clearly don't give a **** about ffp and pogba would be a huge boost for them both on and off the pitch.

GSPfan wrote: »

So nobody today posted about Fabinho, Danny Rose, or Sandro as replacements for Valencia and Young? And it’s because of their age just incase you didn’t read what I wrote.

In place of Darmian, Blind and Shaw I thought they meant, the two of those (Val and Young) would slot back into being back ups

GSPfan wrote: »

You're fantastical list made it sound like all the players you mentioned were for the chop. Yes Alex Sandro and Danny Rose were mentioned. That wouldn't affect Young who would still be in the squad and it is Shaw that will be out of it.

It is more reading comprehension than selective reading. You just kept saying add "player x" and add "player x" and add "player x". Highly unlikely any scenario will lead to Young being sold this summer. No more than 4 CB's will be sold (and no one said to sell Bailly anyway). Fabinho I believe was mentioned as being a midfielder who could cover RB more than a starting RB over Valencia.

astradave wrote: »
    In place of Darmian, Blind and Shaw I thought they meant, the two of those (Val and Young) would slot back into being back ups

That was the discussion :pac:

Yeah of course. I didn’t put them in the list of players talked about today as being possible departures. When I said replaced I meant replaced in the starting 11.

Oh I missed Herrera off the list. That’s another one assumed gone.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Jaysus the obsession across the road is real.

Love how they celebrating everything negative about United yet we are still ahead of them and played a game less.

Then they wonder why people laugh when they SLIP.

Standards, isn't it?

We have three trophies in the last two years and we're tearing our hair out wanting to be better.

They have one trophy in the last 13 years, haven't even beaten us in the league in 4(?) years (when we've been shíte) and apparently that's enough to make them walk with a swagger.

Bit sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Jaysus lads, way too early to write off Pogba. If we can play 3 in midfield for a few weeks in a row he would flourish.

Playing 3 in midfield and then switching back to 2 the next game isn't helping.

Mourihno needs to find a system and stick to it.

Shaw, meh I won't be sad to see him leave as long as we sign a top left back to replace him with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

duffman13 wrote: »

Shaw never got dropped Young is the first choice left back and Shaw only got back in because of an injury or suspension iirc.

• Advertisement

Just look at that Chelsea team... Outside of winning the league the experience at the top level in that team is ridiculous:

Morata - Real Madrid
    Pedro - Barcelona
    Favrecas - Barcelona
    Kante - league winner with Leicester
    Hazard- class
    Willian - class

United has a very inexperienced team in comparison to that lineup!

Home to Spurs in the cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Home to Spurs in the cup

I see what ya did there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Home to Spurs in the cup

Spurs are at home :pac:

I see what ya did there!

We can **** em into the away dressing room :D feck with their heads

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

We are due a Wembley Screamer from Jessie anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Home to Spurs in the cup

Be nice to get some revenge on them after our last league game against them. That game was horrible to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Home to Spurs in the cup

Seriously looking forward to it. Going to be a good game at Wembley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Get to wreck spurs dressing room at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Get to wreck spurs dressing room at least

That's your inner Jose seeping out lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

beno619 wrote: »
    Shaw never got dropped Young is the first choice left back and Shaw only got back in because of an injury or suspension iirc.

I never said he was first choice, I said he played a number of games (6 in a row) and played very well. Bar one game in 10 he's played this season we've not conceded.

Jose then bigged up him in two interviews and said he was happy with him and he's preformed well. Shaw was then dropped for Young. By the way, Young has been stinking at points this season aswell as being good at times.

I feel Shaw is being somewhat scapegoated IMO despite the fact he's not been on a losing Utd team this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Just look at that Chelsea team... Outside of winning the league the experience at the top level in that team is ridiculous:

Morata - Real Madrid
    Pedro - Barcelona
    Favrecas - Barcelona
    Kante - league winner with Leicester
    Hazard- class
    Willian - class

United has a very inexperienced team in comparison to that lineup!

Not really. A bunch of United's players would have been there when we won the league, and even ignoring that, I'd say if you added up Ibra and Carricks honours alone, you'd nearly pass all the above out. Then you've the likes of Pogba's titles at Juve, Mata and Matic's at Chelsea, Sanchez with Chile etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

With two Chelsea legends doing the draw,it was never going to end well for us.

Should have been Wright and Zola. No player(s) still playing should be allowed do the draw. Very unprofessional from the FA.

I think some players thrive in certain environments. I don’t think it’s unfair to say that players playing for pool are in a far more forgiving environment then players playing for united.

United are having their best league season in 5 years and fans are still complaining. I don’t know if Liverpool players get stick for similar feats!

It’s not an insult, it’s just a fact. Liverpool fans cant slag united about the amount of money the club spends and then say it’s an insult when we say that united has bigger ambitions and bigger expectations.

Just on fans complaining, I think that's more to do with how the team is playing rather than dsappointment with the league position. On balance, this season I think Liverpool have played better football than United. 2nd and 3rd/4th pretty much give the same rewards too.

At the end of the day, winning big trophies trumps style but we're not at the level of winning major trophies at the moment and the style has been poor, which explains the general frustration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Bret Hart wrote: »

Should have been Wright and Zola. No player(s) still playing should be allowed do the draw. Very unprofessional from the FA.

Seriously??

Just on fans complaining, I think that's more to do with how the team is playing rather than dsappointment with the league position. On balance, this season I think Liverpool have played better football than United. 2nd and 3rd/4th pretty much give the same rewards too.

At the end of the day, winning big trophies trumps style but we're not at the level of winning major trophies at the moment and the style has been poor, which explains the general frustration.

Fans were booing McTominey for a back pass when United were beating Liverpool. That’s ridiculous. Focusing primarily on the style of football does not take account of all factors.

It’s been beaten to death but there is more things pointing to the team being on the up then there are signs that things won’t improve.

titan18 wrote: »
    Not really. A bunch of United's players would have been there when we won the league, and even ignoring that, I'd say if you added up Ibra and Carricks honours alone, you'd nearly pass all the above out. Then you've the likes of Pogba's titles at Juve, Mata and Matic's at Chelsea, Sanchez with Chile etc

Lukaku- Everton
    Rashford
    Lingard
    Martial
    Mata - Chelsea
    Carrick - retiring , long past his best
    Zlatan - 35 years of age!!!!!
    Pogba - sorry but not proven in England and was a free signing for Juve- pressure at united is completely different
    Matic - only player Jose trusts
    Sanchez- arsenal player - quality but struggling to adapt- he will find his feet but can’t be relied on quite yet

My point was that there is a strong settled experienced squad at Chelsea. United’s is in no Way comparable.

It’s not dissing the united team it’s showing how disjointed the club has been and how much work Jose is having to do.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Hmm, apparently Spurs already use the "away" dressing rooms cause The home one is more for the England team as the home team, or something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

adox wrote: »
    Seriously??

I am.Cech shouldn't have been let anywhere near the draw. Unacceptable and very unprofessional from the FA. No player(s) still playing the game should be. Do Uefa allow it ? Fifa ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Bret Hart wrote: »

They're picking numbered balls out of a bowl. Not being asked who they'd like to see play each other. Doesn't really matter.

Fans were booing McTominey for a back pass when United were beating Liverpool. That’s ridiculous. Focusing primarily on the style of football does not take account of all factors.

It’s been beaten to death but there is more things pointing to the team being on the up then there are signs that things won’t improve.

I'm not primarily focusing on the style of football and I certainly don't want Jose gone at the moment. I obviously don't agree with the booing of a young player like McTominay either.

However, I can understand people being frustrated with how the team have been playing.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement