Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Lord TSC wrote: »
    The fact is there's people who will never like Jose. That's not to say there aren't criticisms of Jose that are valid. My personal gripe would be how frustrating it is how many people there are who post once a week when we win and post 20 times an hour after we lose.

I was pissed after the Sevilla gave, and said I didn't have the heart to defend Jose.

But I don't put he majority of blame on tactics today.

The reality is that when Pogba has an off game (which is more often than not), then there is zero creativity from defensive or midfield. That's not a tactics or coaching problem. It's a player problem. Couple that with the fact that Martial and Mata are also prone to dreadful games, and you get games like today.

Jose or not, there's a issue with the squad that still exists. I expect it to be sorted this summer properly, or I'll be on board e Jose out train. But I've long since accepted that we will have games like today until we replace those players.

If I'm honest, based on the squad, based on the football we play, I think Jose has been overachieving and doing a stellar job. He's drilled these games out of them mostly. Under LVG, they were every week. Last year, they were once every third game. Now it's once every seven or eight. Just expect it to be eradicated next year....

what about sanchez, mata, martial, lukaku, lingard, even first half with pogba on the field, everyone getting in each others way, that is a coaching issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

bangkok wrote: »
    what about sanchez, mata, martial, lukaku, lingard, even first half with pogba on the field, everyone getting in each others way, that is a coaching issue

Do you think he is telling them to run into eachother then? Or do you think he is BorgPrime controlling them all?

pjohnson wrote: »
    Do you think he is telling them to run into eachother then? Or do you think he is BorgPrime controlling them all?

he is telling mata to come infield, that is obvious, sanchez isnt playing as a winger, that is obvious... would you agree with that?

sanchez coming in field is coming into pogbas space, young is always cutting back onto his right foot down the left

all off the above is fairly obvious, that is all the managers tactics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Donnarumma with a De Gea style save earlier in the last minute for Milan against Napoli. Option should big Dave decide to head to Madrid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

Son0vagun wrote: »
    He makes a fair point,

I've no problem with the point's made.

My problem is we get into a discussion on who can replace jose after every loss. It's nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Donnarumma with a De Gea style save earlier in the last minute for Milan against Napoli. Option should big Dave decide to head to Madrid

We should be back banging on Atleticos door for Oblak should the worst happen.

would rather just see romero given the number 1 spot, goalkeeper is the least of our issues.

new left back and a decent midfielder should be our no1 priority this summer.

after that would love to see fosu mensah get a start at right back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

limnam wrote: »
    I've no problem with the point's made.

My problem is we get into a discussion on who can replace jose after every loss. It's nuts.

Maybe not replace Mourinho, but he’s mentality and negative game play needs to change. He’s never going to attract big signings with his style of play.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Econ_ wrote: »
    Assuming your hypothesis is correct (I don’t think it is) then that is a coaching problem.

If you a construct a team that is so reliant on one player, that when that player is unavailable or out of form the team falls apart - that is a coaching failure.

Take De Bruyne our of City’s team. Do they fall apart?

Countinho was taken out of Liverpool’s team? Did they fall apart?

I don't watch a lot of City or Pool, so I'm talking from a weaker base of experience here.

City are lucky that their transfer policy over the last few years has paid off; KDB is not only the top of the PL Assists chart, but Sane is 2nd and Silva is 3rd. They were able to build, year on year, on their world class stars. Losing one won't hurt them cause they've spent years bringing in talents to build on their great foundations. They'll probably go and buy another top level creative player this summer too. To add, Sterling is joint 9th, and Aguero is joint 19th. FIVE of the top 20 play for City.

For us, Pogba is 5th in the chart. (Tied with Mkhi, though I'm not sure of the breakdown between us and Arsenal of the 9 assists). After him, we have Lukaku down in joint 13th. Our striker is having to create the chances as well. We have no one else in the top 20.

So its not an exageration to say Pogba is the main creative outlet and without him, statistically, we're poor creatively. I'd imagine Jose would have hoped the likes of Herrera, Martial, Mata, etc could have registered more assists than they have. But trying to compare removing Pogba to removing KDB is foolish because the two teams are in different stages, unfortunately.

If Pogba has a bad game, we're left relying on Lukaku to do something magical. Jose was, presumably, putting faith in players who haven't managed to deliver this year, so I stand by what I said; when Pogba has a bad game, we are creatively devoid. We don't have players capable of moments of magic.

(Sanchez will hopefully contribute more; he's still settling, and had a bad game today after a good one last weekend).

As far as Liverpool and Coutinho, strikes me they knew he was leaving sooner rather than later and thus worked to replace him last year. Hence why Mane (who is incredible form), Sane and Firminho all register up in the assists chart and all three also make the top 20 goalscorers too.

No matter how people want to moan about the money spent, we are not at the same level as City, because under LVG and Moyes, we **** the bed in terms of transfer policies. We spent poorly, and switched philosophies multiple times.

Staying or going, we need more creativity added big time to our midfield alongside Pogba. We also need fullbacks capable of crossing the ball even semi-competently. People can blame coaching all they want, but multiple times today, we had them pegged into their own box and didn't know what to do next. Jose can't run out and physically hit the ball into the box for them. At some stage, the players go out and have to try something.

Blame coaching, whatever, i have zero faith that a team relying on Martial and Mata, for instance, will ever figure out how to break down a packed box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

would rather just see romero given the number 1 spot, goalkeeper is the least of our issues.

new left back and a decent midfielder should be our no1 priority this summer.

after that would love to see fosu mensah get a start at right back

Jorginho and Ghoulam?

• Advertisement

He’s never going to attract big signings with his style of play.

like who ? He got Pogba,sanchez,lukaku,matic,miki.zlatan :confused::confused::confused:

I don't watch a lot of City or Pool, so I'm talking from a weaker base of experience here.

City are lucky that their transfer policy over the last few years has paid off; KDB is not only the top of the PL Assists chart, but Sane is 2nd and Silva is 3rd. They were able to build, year on year, on their world class stars. Losing one won't hurt them cause they've spent years bringing in talents to build on their great foundations. They'll probably go and buy another top level creative player this summer too. To add, Sterling is joint 9th, and Aguero is joint 19th. FIVE of the top 20 play for City.

For us, Pogba is 5th in the chart. (Tied with Mkhi, though I'm not sure of the breakdown between us and Arsenal of the 9 assists). After him, we have Lukaku down in joint 13th. Our striker is having to create the chances as well. We have no one else in the top 20.

So its not an exageration to say Pogba is the main creative outlet and without him, statistically, we're poor creatively. I'd imagine Jose would have hoped the likes of Herrera, Martial, Mata, etc could have registered more assists than they have. But trying to compare removing Pogba to removing KDB is foolish because the two teams are in different stages, unfortunately.

If Pogba has a bad game, we're left relying on Lukaku to do something magical. Jose was, presumably, putting faith in players who haven't managed to deliver this year, so I stand by what I said; when Pogba has a bad game, we are creatively devoid. We don't have players capable of moments of magic.

(Sanchez will hopefully contribute more; he's still settling, and had a bad game today after a good one last weekend).

As far as Liverpool and Coutinho, strikes me they knew he was leaving sooner rather than later and thus worked to replace him last year. Hence why Mane (who is incredible form), Sane and Firminho all register up in the assists chart and all three also make the top 20 goalscorers too.

No matter how people want to moan about the money spent, we are not at the same level as City, because under LVG and Moyes, we **** the bed in terms of transfer policies. We spent poorly, and switched philosophies multiple times.

Staying or going, we need more creativity added big time to our midfield alongside Pogba. We also need fullbacks capable of crossing the ball even semi-competently. People can blame coaching all they want, but multiple times today, we had them pegged into their own box and didn't know what to do next. Jose can't run out and physically hit the ball into the box for them. At some stage, the players go out and have to try something.

Blame coaching, whatever, i have zero faith that a team relying on Martial and Mata, for instance, will ever figure out how to break down a packed box.

they are far from lucky, de bruyne was brilliant in germany, sane imo will be a future ballon dor winner, the best young player in the league right now, their transfer policy is well drilled and targeted. ours seems to be all over the place, sanchez was a player that was not needed, yes he was brilliant at arsenal but has slowed the development of both rashford and martial and i fear martial will be off in the summer.

we also dont attack as a team, you can blame the players but when a team doesnt operate at the same level, that is a coaching/tactics issue.

what the hell does rui faria do anyway, i would lay a lot of the blame at his door, he seems to get a free ride in here as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Maybe its just mates (I am guessing they are) just rubbing it in as you team lost. I do it with all my friends who support different teams to me (Aston Villa, Arsena, Manchester United, Chelsea)

Maybe their monthly data allowance was renewed just in time or else they are still on a high after hammering Roma the other day ;)
    Don't worry,I give as good as I get.

https://sinceliverpoollastwonatrophy.co.uk/league-title/

like who ? He got Pogba,sanchez,lukaku,matic,miki.zlatan :confused::confused::confused:

If anything, the more common criticism against Jose is he nearly exclusively brings in top names, rather than going for the "hidden gems", etc.....

That save from Ben Foster on Lukaku's header, that was another turning point in the game as well as the Herrera penalty decision. It really was a sublime header from Lukaku, I had begun to celebrate the 'goal' and Foster just said 'Stop that shít right now'.

Lukaku could have had another in the first half but for another good stop from Foster. If one or two of those chances hit the net, we would have saw a win today that some would have rightfully referred to as 'clinical' if uninspiring.

Never mind the win. If that game had have finished 0-0 today, I would have just shrugged and looked towards Bournemouth mid-week.

The loss is a stinger though. We don't lose much at home in the league these days, let alone to the bottom team in the league. If I recall correctly, when Huddersfield beat us they were also bottom of the league at the time or very near it.

Seriously, what is the point of that improved record against the Top 6 teams when our record against the bottom 3 worsens? I do like United beating the top teams, but it really is a case of 'One step forward, two steps back' when it comes to some of our results against the bottom teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Another Raiola client. We should be steering away from his influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Lofty123

Econ_ wrote: »
    Where are United going with Mourinho?

Sure he has substantially improved things; he won two trophies in his first season and will comfortably finish in the top 4 this season

But where are you going with him? Can you see much of an improvement on the horizon next season?

The football you've been served up under him hasn't been classic Mourinho.

Mourinho's old teams were physically strong with an effective and functional style. But, critically, they were also consistent and they often had an aura about them - particularly in home games.

Mourinho's teams remain strong and functional but now lack the other attributes that made his teams special - probably because he can't force this generation of players to unquestionably obey his orders to sweat blood for him in the way he could in years gone by.

The choice is that you can give Mourinho another few hundred million that will only incrementally improve performance and results

OR

Take a risk. Sack him and bring in an younger manager with an exciting, modern and proactive style. A manager that will allow Pogba, Martial, Sanchez etc. to be part of a free flowing, attractive and attack-minded team. A manager that will at least project you towards having a style comparable to the excitability of Barca, Madrid, Liverpool or City.

It's not that Mourinho is terrible. It's that United can, and should aim for better.

Do we really have to go through this every single time there's a bad result?
    We wouldn't have to if there wasn't so many of them.

Also, if you think Man United, back up to second in the league, in the champions league next year too, and the most "generous" in terms of contract payments, will struggle to bring in big names, you need to take a step back and really consider your view of what priorities players have when joining a team....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Well they don’t live up to the hype, apart from Zlatan and he was allowed leave for free. The truth is Mourinho hasn’t been able to buy the marquee players he needs to bring UTD to a level the fans demand.

• Advertisement

One major problem today was that the 3rd man running that opened up City last week was abandoned by the players who spent so much time passing around in front of WBA. Even when we got width on the left the ball was played square into traffic. As for width on the right it was the area where attacks go to die with Valencia.
    It's all well and good playing little one two's on the edge of their box but without that third man running through we saw no cutting edge and made it easy for West Brom.

Well they don’t live up to the hype,

That's a completely different discussion. Your point was he wouldn't be able to attract big names. The point is complete nonsense.
    apart from Zlatan and he was allowed leave for free. The truth is Mourinho hasn’t been able to buy the marquee players he needs to bring UTD to a level the fans demand.

I don't think this conversation has anywhere to go.

You've just been given a list....

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

An honest interview from Jose after I give him that-Pogbas a disgrace we need to sell this idiot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Folks, if I could stick my oar in...

The second 45 minutes last weekend was brilliant, but comparing that game to this is stupid.

The challenges West Brom offer are entirely different to City. You need bravery on the ball from players to penetrate, make runs, quick passes, angles in order to get the defence out of position. It honestly doesn't matter how many attacking players José throws on - if Martial keeps coming inside, if Sanchez holds it too long, if Mata keeps playing it safely, if Valencia can't cross etc etc etc - you're simply relying on a set piece, individual brilliance, or Lukaku beating a man in the air out of nowhere, to score. I don't know whether José tells them to play safely, or if the players were cowardly, but the end result was lethargic.

Now normally, José's dream is an early goal. You can be as safe as you want, knowing that the opposition will eventually come out, and they can be picked off. His team is vulnerable when that early goal doesn't come.

City allow you space if you press properly. That's why last week was superb and could work. You can't press the same way against West Brom as they stay deep and offer less natural space to run into.

The team need to learn to be braver against packed defences when that early goal doesn't come. Players are hiding. Lukaku was showing constantly today, constantly in between defenders, constantly asking for crosses. Barely a thing came to him. He did screw a couple up, but still. Salah and Sterling, for example, get multiple chances a game.

Anyway, rambling now.

Zico ! wrote: »
    An honest interview from Jose after I give him that-Pogbas a disgrace we need to sell this idiot

what about all the other players who were awful today? what about the managers "tactics" and subs today?

what about all the other players who were awful today? what about the managers "tactics" and subs today?

Pogba was worse than all that combined

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Hopefully he has a good World Cup and we can flog him back to France. He wouldn't need to put in the same effort week in week out so he can be "world class" again.

Under pep just imagine how a front 3 of Sanchez Rashford and martial would attack. Lingard in behind Matic and pogba. Different animals all together

taken from twitter

Hopefully he has a good World Cup and we can flog him back to France. He wouldn't need to put in the same effort week in week out so he can be "world class" again.

He should join his brother so they can wave to mammy in the crowd every week

Pogba was worse than all that combined

i actually though his passing was fine today, anyone got the opta stats for todays game?

if he has a good world cup, why would you want to sell him?!

• Advertisement

When WBA did come out the so called counter attack was so slow it was like watching LVG performance. Pass into midfield,stop,pass sideways,back to the guy who passed the ball and by the time the ball is up near their box they have everyone behind the ball.
    All the pace and energy shown in last week's 2nd half seemed to be forgotten. It was as if the players felt "ah sure it's only the bottom team". We've seen so many of these performances over the last few seasons so today should not have been a surprise.

if he has a good world cup, why would you want to sell him?!

We get more money for him obviously-you can see by the body language he doesnt want to be there

We get more money for him obviously-you can see by the body language he doesnt want to be there

he does want to be there, that is clear, i dont think he wants the manager to be there though

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Watched the game as i TCaptained Lukaku in fantasy football.

Spoilt for entertainment of late as an LFC supporter. Not coming here to criticise but it seems the odd times I watch Utd there seems to be two main themes.

1. Very slow build up play. Even when there is a chance to break at pace, it just seems to slow and casual. Yes, ball retention is Good but I could sense the frustration in the crowd.

2. Role confusion in midfield. The team is blessed with creative talent but everyone seems to be playing or competing in the same space and there doesn't seem to be a clear strategy or sense of identity. Maybe too much talent / big names and squeezing in instead of really defining the shape.

Obviously the team is strong, well organised and individuals are capable of great things at times hence a solid league position, but overall the team seems weaker than the sum of its parts. Failure of the manager??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

he does want to be there, that is clear, i dont think he wants the manager to be there though

Not how it works though is it?

I mean didnt he leave in the first place because he taught he knew better then fergie about his playing time.

The guy needs to start playing world class football more often to match his world class ego.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

elbyrneo wrote: »

Spoilt for entertainment of late as an LFC supporter. Not coming here to criticise but it seems the odd times I watch Utd there seems to be two main themes.

1. Very slow build up play. Even when there is a chance to break at pace, it just seems to slow and casual. Yes, ball retention is Good but I could sense the frustration in the crowd.

2. Role confusion in midfield. The team is blessed with creative talent but everyone seems to be playing or competing in the same space and there doesn't seem to be a clear strategy or sense of identity. Maybe too much talent / big names and squeezing in instead of really defining the shape.

Obviously the team is strong, well organised and individuals are capable of great things at times hence a solid league position, but overall the team seems weaker than the sum of its parts. Failure of the manager??

Bang on the money with both points.
    The team doesn’t really have an identity. Outside of big games, where Mourinho has come up trumps on many occasions this season with a well executed game plan, there’s nothing other than a load of very good players on a pitch with no direction.
    United would have been better off going in at the break a goal down.

And Jose doesnt want him there either you know the answer if its between the manager and a player getting turfed out dont you?

Its not clear he wants to be there where you getting that from are you even watching the games?

i think so yes.

when you see oxlade chamberlain and the likes excel for liverpool and then the likes of sanchez, pogba, martial struggle for united i think it lies on the managers door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

About the fairest post in here in a long time.

And Jose doesnt want him there either you know the answer if its between the manager and a player getting turfed out dont you?

Its not clear he wants to be there where you getting that from are you even watching the games?

last weekend at city the way he was over at the fans. the way he talks about the club etc

mourinho imo will be gone by the end of next season, i hope pogba wont

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

We should be able to give them a smashing even without Lukaku. Martial is giving out about a lack of playing time, so Id like to see him prove why he should have it. If we can't beat West Brom, and beat them well, without Lukaku, we're in bigger trouble than we realise...

Did I miss anything this afternoon?

Not how it works though is it?

I mean didnt he leave in the first place because he taught he knew better then fergie about his playing time.

The guy needs to start playing world class football more often to match his world class ego.

he was badly advised by an agent that only thinks about lining his own pocket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

No player is bigger than the club. If he's not playing because he doesn't like the manager he should be shown the door.

last weekend at city the way he was over at the fans. the way he talks about the club etc

mourinho imo will be gone by the end of next season, i hope pogba wont

Jose just signed a new contract Pogba is a waste of space and cant last an hour against the worst team in the league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Econ_

If you don’t watch much football outside of United games then how can you compare the quality of football?;

There is a massive difference between United and the likes of City and Liverpool. One is a functioning team with a lot of talented players that’s limited in scope and the others are well oiled, slick, modern and progressive teams.

I also feel you’re overseeing some revisionism when it comes to City; the narrative at the end of Pellegrinni’s time there was that it was a team on it’s last legs, full of aging stalwarts. Guardiola has transformed the mentality and style of that club in a way Mourinho could only dream of. If he had taken the reigns at Old Trafford instead of Mourinho, I’ve no doubt that he’d have United right up alongside the level he has City at now.

United can do better than Mourinho. Much better.

In keeping him they are selling themselves short.

Jose just signed a new contract Pogba is a waste of space and cant last an hour against the worst team in the league

a 1 year extension, just an insurance policy by the club

its funny how after a loss, ALL of the blame seems to lie on Pogbas door. he was taken off after 57min, what about the rest of the game? what about sanchez? Mata? Herrera? Matic poor and slow passing? ashley young, valencia?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

its funny how after a loss, ALL of the blame seems to lie on Pogbas door. he was taken off after 57min, what about the rest of the game? what about sanchez? Mata? Herrera? Matic poor and slow passing? ashley young, valencia?

Plenty of posts here saying other players were sh*te. It’s just nobody else was crying about their favourite player being talked about in a bad way so you probably wouldn’t have noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

OK so hypothetically musing here, IF José were to walk away at season's end? Who'd realistically come in to take over/continue the rebuilding?

I'm curious to hear people's thoughts...

And I swear to Lemmy, if anyone mentions Mauricio Pochettino..

• Advertisement

Plenty of posts here saying those players were sh*te. It’s just nobody else was crying about their favourite player being sh*te so you probably wouldn’t have noticed.

so we should sell them all??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement