Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Econ_

Are posters confident that Mourinho will improve United next season to an extent where they could challenge City and significantly close the gap between themselves and the top European teams?

If yes, why?

If no, do you think he should be replaced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

yabadabado wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be 2 defensive midfields along side Pogba.

He needs one sitting midfielder and a workhorse midfielder to do all his work for him so he can have zero responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

pjohnson wrote: »
    He needs one sitting midfielder and a workhorse midfielder to do all his work for him so he can have zero responsibility.

What about the responsibility of creating chances and scoring goals, the hardest thing to do on a football pitch?

Mbappe and Thiago are 2 of citys 3 transfer targets this summer. We should def compete with them for Thiago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I don't think he should have zero responsibility but I'd agree with the two CMs needed. Matic is already there to be the sitting midfielder so the big issue now is to buy a cm who will get the midfield 3 to click.
    I'd expect United to he linked to dozens of CMs over the next few months, I've no idea really who I'd like to see join just gotta hope Jose/Ed get it right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

bangkok wrote: »
    Mbappe and Thiago are 2 of citys 3 transfer targets this summer. We should def compete with them for Thiago

Isn't he way over 30?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Isn't he way over 30?
    Wrong Thiago, its Alcantara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

The absolute priority for Mourinho this summer is two proper full backs, not converted wingers. The best crosser of a ball in the club is lukaku and you want him on the end of them not the start. The speed and intensity has to increase by 100% as well. Build up is so slow and pedantic I think I could play at times. How can any player find space at the pace we play ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Wrong Thiago, its Alcantara

More of a leather guy myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/Jon_LeGossip/status/986195573970735104
    According to RMC, it is the end of the line for captain Thiago Silva & Javier Pastore with PSG. https://twitter.com/culturepsg/status/986186773083705344

Barcelona line up £60m bid for Manchester United attacker Anthony Martial https://dailym.ai/2qEv8bz

Juve duel with Bayern Munich for Martial, Lagazettadelasport.

• Advertisement

The absolute priority for Mourinho this summer is two proper full backs, not converted wingers. The best crosser of a ball in the club is lukaku and you want him on the end of them not the start. The speed and intensity has to increase by 100% as well. Build up is so slow and pedantic I think I could play at times. How can any player find space at the pace we play ?

To be honest I think we could have the best full backs in the world but if we don't sort out what shape the team is going to be in midfield it's a waste of time.

I'd have another central midfielder up there as important as full backs the way I see it my prefer if priority is

Central midfielder
    Left back
    Right back
    Right wing
    Center back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Tbh, the more time goes on, the more I think RB, LB, CM and RW area about equal priority right now. We need all four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/ScotsmanSport/status/986253033314181120

Manchester United confident of landing Kieran Tierney for £10m, according to reports.

Manchester United confident of landing Kieran Tierney for £10m, according to reports.

That's our right winger sorted then ;)

jayo26 wrote: »
    To be honest I think we could have the best full backs in the world but if we don't sort out what shape the team is going to be in midfield it's a waste of time.

I'd have another central midfielder up there as important as full backs the way I see it my prefer if priority is

Central midfielder
    Left back
    Right back
    Right wing
    Center back.

Yeah I'd probably agree with that order but all 5 need to be signed. The shape of the team is badly off.

10m?

I was expecting at least double that. That would be a lovely piece of business.

Is 10m not a very low figure all things considered. Don't get me wrong I'd be happy to see him signed but would expect the fee to be near double 10m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

What we need in players is huge workrate and ability to take the ball and have balls in first place.

I have been shocked by some of the performances this season.

Is 10m not a very low figure all things considered. Don't get me wrong I'd be happy to see him signed but would expect the fee to be near double 10m.

I guess it's the joys of buying from a club like Celtic who will just take anything? Maybe they will want a larger sell on clause?

It's Celtic. 10m to them is very healthy.

12m would be the most I expect to see United pay for him

• Advertisement

Id say if you offered 8m with a few add ons celtic would accept

They would once was decent add ons and clauses.

2m for 50 app 2m for champions league qualification. Done :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Wouldn't be too gone on Tierney as a full back and think the link is more to do with we always get linked with Celtic products. If we did sign him though I'd fully expect at least another year of predominantly Young at LB.

CB and CM are still our biggest needs; two of each most likely required with one of the CM's being a rotation option. We don't have a single CB that the better teams aren't able to expose and drag out of position and we don't have the midfield balance to move the ball properly through the phases. The midfield issue is partly to do with how much of the role is chaperoning the centre of defense and if we were to manage to form a more competent CB partnership it would in part solve our lack of ability to constructively move the ball up-field when we regain possession. Unfortunately this is seldom a problem that can be fixed in the off-season alone.

A lot of our woes over recent seasons has stemmed from this necessity to both tailor too much of our shape and movement and, commit too much of players responsibilities towards how we behave as a defensive unit. People's opinions of Chris Smalling under LvG being case in point. I think it's fair to say we have enough attacking talent on the team, but what they're lacking right now is a player capable of linking play and intelligently probing opposition defensive lines that could give them freedom. RW is a non-issue imo as in most cases it just appears to be a cry for attacking symmetry for attacking symmetry's sake and in others ignores the issues in order to fulfill the love affair people have with wide attacking 433 in their heads despite what ends up in front of them.

All that said, if it were possible to spend £90 million on a first touch for Lukaku I'd do it in heartbeat :pac:

Moussa Dembele was valued at well over 20million in January

Tierney has a longer contract, more raw potential and is Glaswegian academy graduate so probably has quite a high affinity for Celtic, so unless he starts getting tetchy not a hope he is sold for under 20m.

Hes also captained Scotland internationally so his career is going quite well atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

2m for 50 app 2m for champions league qualification. Done :)

41XBNK10CGL._SX315_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Sorry, lads :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Econ_

Econ_ wrote: »
    Are posters confident that Mourinho will improve United next season to an extent where they could challenge City and significantly close the gap between themselves and the top European teams?

If yes, why?

If no, do you think he should be replaced?

No takers on this?

Seems many here are not asking themselves the hard questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

No takers on this?

Maybe people would be more keen to answers questions about Mourinho from someone less obsessed with Mourinho?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Tbh, the more time goes on, the more I think RB, LB, CM and RW area about equal priority right now. We need all four.

Or just play Sanchez on the right, Shaw at LB and then suddenly down to 2 :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

What we need in players is huge workrate and ability to take the ball and have balls in first place.

I have been shocked by some of the performances this season.

Totally agree but wouldn’t even call it a huge work rate, just a normal work rate. The amount of teams we have played this season who seem to get to the ball first and move it quicker than us, no matter what level they are at has been shocking. Sometimes it has looked like the opposition has had an extra player on the field.

I think at this stage it’s a cultural thing within this group of players and one that Jose now seems to be trying to fight(dangerous game to play). I think numbers wise we may see somewhere around 6 players shipped out in the summer(including fringe players). That may still not be enough to shake that culture from the squad.

I know it’s a bit mad to say because we are still sitting second in the league but, I think the squad is a bit of a mess and needs a lot of work. We have lots of very talented footballers but a lot of them don’t seem to have the mental resolve or desire to function as a unit at this level. Speculating but I’m sure they subconsciously feed off it from each other and exasperate it.

On the managerial side, I’ve been disappointed a bit with Jose despite the forward steps the club have taken overall. I know what we get with him and I’m ok with that as a means to an end but the European ties for me were a watershed moment. Never had I seen such cowardice over two legs. It bordered on disgraceful the lack of ambition shown. Lack of ambition that seems to suit a lot of these players fine.

I think Jose is on thin ice and has been since those Euro ties. The fan base I suspect are starting to slowly turn against him a bit while at the same time I think he is in the process of making a lot of enemies in the squad. I don’t blame him for that at all. While I do lay blame at his door I blame the players more.
    His now (seemingly) public “war” with them I think will make or break him and fairly quickly. It’s a huge gamble he’s taking with it, especially as fans are getting on his case now with the likes of the WBA display and result but I get the feeling he is just sick to the back teeth with a lot of these players and is rolling the dice to bring it all to a head.

Who the winner will be who knows? For once I hope it’s the manager. Never have I felt so disconnected from a group of Utd players. I can probably count on one hand the anmount of players I have any real affection for.

No takers on this?

I want pochettino :)

No takers on this?

Edit: After seeing your thread quoted below forget I even tried to interact with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

No takers on this?

I mean, that's literally been what's being discussed for several weeks now. It's THE main topic of conversation since the Sevilla game....

Probably the most creative 'Are X and Y done' threads in a while in fairness...

• Advertisement

Is that a fancy way of saying he is a busted flush.... God dam lefties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

Tour was announced this afternoon with glamour ties against Ac Milan, Real Madrid and Liverpool

Moussa Dembele was valued at well over 20million in January

Tierney has a longer contract, more raw potential and is Glaswegian academy graduate so probably has quite a high affinity for Celtic, so unless he starts getting tetchy not a hope he is sold for under 20m.

Hes also captained Scotland internationally so his career is going quite well atm.

He was valued at 18m.

And who signed him at that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

No takers on this?

It’s the Man Utd Boards way ;)

• Advertisement

He was valued at 18m.

And who signed him at that?

You claimed Celtic would happily take 10m for him. I was merely pointing out they aren't pushovers or LOI when it comes to taking any pittance.

Hell Virgil Van Dijk cost Southampton 11.5m and that was 2 - 3 years ago before fee's really inflated rapidly. Dembele has only two years left on his deal and the club rejected Brightons offers while Tierney has twice that and you think Celtic will happily take less?

astradave wrote: »

Its our clique way

astradave wrote: »

Ah...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

No takers on this?

already answered this before. I'm not here to be summoned to answer your questions when you want answers and want to have a pop at people who don't hop to for your questions.

You claimed Celtic would happily take 10m for him. I was merely pointing out they aren't pushovers or LOI when it comes to taking any pittance.

Hell Virgil Van Dijk cost Southampton 11.5m and that was 2 - 3 years ago before fee's really inflated rapidly. Dembele has only two years left on his deal and the club rejected Brightons offers while Tierney has twice that and you think Celtic will happily take less?

I think they would take anything over 8m with good add on Yes.

It depends on few factors of course but 8-12m with the few usual add ons is what I wo8ld see him go for. His stock is rising and of course we may not even be interested.

Any decent Celtic player down years seemed be linked with us. Very few sign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

I think they would take anything over 8m with good add on Yes.

It depends on few factors of course but 8-12m with the few usual add ons is what I wo8ld see him go for. His stock is rising and of course we may not even be interested.

Any decent Celtic player down years seemed be linked with us. Very few sign

The late Liam Miller was possibly the last?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Around £12m is about right for a defender from the SPL.

If Dembele who is a striker and has gotten a decent amount of goals is valued at £20m then that would be an accurate price for a highly rated defender.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

De Gea is gonna be our player of the year again isn’t he? 4th time in 5 years, sigh.

Around £12m is about right for a defender from the SPL.

If Dembele who is a striker and has gotten a decent amount of goals is valued at £20m then that would be an accurate price for a highly rated defender.

Celtic will know that they'll probably have the likes of Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal and maybe some others from the continent to bump up the price, I think people in here are seriously underrating how highly he's rated.

rekluse wrote: »
    De Gea is gonna be our player of the year again isn’t he? 4th time in 5 years, sigh.

I'd probably give it to Matic based on the season as a whole. He's slumped a bit now near the end, but he was brilliant for the first two thirds.

DDG didn't have much to do until recent times.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement