Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Econ_ wrote: »
    No takers on this?

Seems many here are not asking themselves the hard questions.

I have it on very good authority that Jose is the greatest manager of his generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I'd probably give it to Matic based on the season as a whole. He's slumped a bit now near the end, but he was brilliant for the first two thirds.

DDG didn't have much to do until recent times.

I'd give it to lukaku to be honest he has been a workhorse for us and could still get 30 goals it's a long time since we have had a player like him and he has only missed 2 games all season.

Liam O wrote: »
    Celtic will know that they'll probably have the likes of Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal and maybe some others from the continent to bump up the price, I think people in here are seriously underrating how highly he's rated.

Perhaps.

Who was the biggest transfer fee out of the SPL?

I have it in my head it was Barry Ferguson to Blackburn, or was yon goalie the Keane signed more expensive?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

jayo26 wrote: »
    I'd give it to lukaku to be honest he has been a workhorse for us and could still get 30 goals it's a long time since we have had a player like him and he has only missed 2 games all season.

Yeah. I considered him but felt he might just have been a bit too patchy to get the nod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Perhaps.

I have it in my head it was Barry Ferguson to Blackburn, or was yon goalie the Keane signed more expensive?

Think Wanyama was 12.5m to Southampton.

Perhaps.

Van dijk and wanyama both around 15 million. gordan would be if you adjusted for inflation 10 million back them was massive for a keeper

Yeah. I considered him but felt he might just have been a bit too patchy to get the nod.

He had November and December but he has been reliable apart from that.

De gea has had his downtime too as had matic.

Spurs dropping points to Brighton. Keeps us well ahead of them despite the loss at the weekend.

Spurs dropping points to Brighton. Keeps us well ahead of them despite the loss at the weekend.

Wait till you see us not take advantage tomorrow night.

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    Wait till you see us not take advantage tomorrow night.

I'm comfortable enough with our Top 4 prospects considering some of the silly points the likes of Spurs and Chelsea are dropping. That said, I'd be quite disappointed if we failed to hold onto second place.

The team needs a win tomorrow night in that respect. They did great work in the 5 or 6 league games leading up to the West Brom defeat. Anything less than a win tomorrow night will see a lot of that good work rendered useless. To pick up 18/18 points in games against the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool and City, only to get 0 or 1 point out of 6 against West Brom and Bournemouth, that would be utterly shít for our second place credentials.

To be honest, that West Brom performance and defeat has left me uneasy about how tomorrow's game will go. I'd like to think that we'll see a 'response', but with this team I can't help but wonder if there's worse to come tomorrow night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

adox wrote: »
    On the managerial side, I’ve been disappointed a bit with Jose despite the forward steps the club have taken overall. I know what we get with him and I’m ok with that as a means to an end but the European ties for me were a watershed moment. Never had I seen such cowardice over two legs. It bordered on disgraceful the lack of ambition shown. Lack of ambition that seems to suit a lot of these players fine.
    I'm curious to know who are Man Utd's strongest leaders on the pitch? In Ferguson's time there were leaders through out the spine of the team but I can't think of any now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Talisman wrote: »
    I'm curious to know who are Man Utd's strongest leaders on the pitch? In Ferguson's time there were leaders through out the spine of the team but I can't think of any now.

I heard if we play an exact formation , with Specific midfielders behind him and everybody retweets one of his new hair cut announcements, Pogba just might be that guy...

How will poch win the league with us if he keeps dropping points to the **** teams

On a more serious note how do people rate spurs first team versus uniteds. If you were purely to base the discussion on talent and not about the money spent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Castles saying that sources close to de Gea say there's been no offer, no talk, and the player is frustrated and bemused at this non traction on things.

• Advertisement

Two weeks ago Rashford was "disillusioned", now DDG is "bemused". The journos are clearly pulling their descriptive words from fantasy novels at this stage.

I wonder if DDG will become "enchanted" with the thoughts of a move to Real Madrid this Summer, or if Jose will "banish" much deadwood from the squad.

On a more serious note how do people rate spurs first team versus uniteds. If you were purely to base the discussion on talent and not about the money spent

Alderwereild (sp), Eriksen, Dembele and Kane would easily get into our team in their current positions. Imagine big Rom up front with Kane alongside him. :eek: Prolly a few more that would be there or thereabouts too, certainly on current form anyway.

It will be interesting to see what happens to their team should Madrid come calling for Ponch. They are unlikely to ever properly challenge for the league considering those above them so if he leaves it's not difficult to see the bigger names angling for a move. Considering those mentioned above could probably double their salaries by moving to us or City for example it's a real possibility.

Levy has been a hure to deal with historically, wtf would he be like with them having a new stadium to pay for coupled with arguably the best striker in the world playing for them and likely attracting suitors amongst the richest clubs in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Alderwereild (sp), Eriksen, Dembele and Kane would easily get into our team in their current positions. Imagine big Rom up front with Kane alongside him. :eek: Prolly a few more that would be there or thereabouts too, certainly on current form anyway.

It will be interesting to see what happens to their team should Madrid come calling for Ponch. They are unlikely to ever properly challenge for the league considering those above them so if he leaves it's not difficult to see the bigger names angling for a move. Considering those mentioned above could probably double their salaries by moving to us or City for example it's a real possibility.

Levy has been a hure to deal with historically, wtf would he be like with them having a new stadium to pay for coupled with arguably the best striker in the world playing for them and likely attracting suitors amongst the richest clubs in the world.

Their whole back 4(5 including Sanchez) are a way better unit than anything we put together. Bailly probably the only one on par with the CB.

God I what I would give to have Dembele in our team. He is the most underrated player in the league..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Son and alli would get into our team as well

Pochettino wouldn't indulge Pogba anyway. Dele/Eriksen have solid teamwork and track back which is the opposite of Pogba's needs.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    Pochettino wouldn't indulge Pogba anyway. Dele/Eriksen have solid teamwork and track back which is the opposite of Pogba's needs.

Not one of their players have “freedom” from defensive duties, even Kane is asked to help out defensively, they defend as a unit and attack as a unit.. I do have questions about their energy levels, though that’s an argument for a different day.

astradave wrote: »
    Not one of their players have “freedom” from defensive duties, even Kane is asked to help out defensively, they defend as a unit and attack as a unit.. I do have questions about their energy levels, though that’s an argument for a different day.

Yeah they appear to tire out but they are very much a team. Its amusing how Poch's biggest fan is also Pogba's.

Yeah they appear to tire out but they are very much a team. Its amusing how Poch's biggest fan is also Pogba's.

I admire poch for the team he has built, the style of play all while he has played at wembley all season and has had a limited budget.

Mourinho has a much worse "team" now than he did 2 years ago. Dont even know what style we are trying to play. As jose said himself, "Masters of complication"

bangkok wrote: »
    I admire poch for the team he has built, the style of play all while he has played at wembley all season and has had a limited budget.

Mourinho has a much worse "team" now than he did 2 years ago. Dont even know what style we are trying to play. As jose said himself, "Masters of complication"

Pound for pound who do you think has more talent in their 1st team not on form just on talent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

And we are still well ahead of them :pac:

Fair play to poch for getting spurs working as a team, with no pressure on them to achieve or win anything and still being behind us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

VW 1 wrote: »

Fair play to poch for getting spurs working as a team, with no pressure on them to achieve or win anything and still being behind us.

He doesn't have the luxury of spending what Mourinho has spent or offering the salaries Mourinho can offer. They may well knock us out of the FA Cup this weekend.

Pound for pound who do you think has more talent in their 1st team not on form just on talent

First 11...

De gea

Tripper

Bailly

Alderwield

Rose

Matic

Dembele

Pogba

Erikson

Kane

On talent alone final spot prob martial although sanchez son and alli are all better all round footballers

VW 1 wrote: »

What pressure is there on mourinho to win this season?? Top 4 seems to be acceptable by most

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Being somewhat realistic if they were for sale in the morning then Rose, Alderweireld,Eriksen and Dembele would all add a huge amount to the starting 11.
    Of course Kane and Alli would also be huge additions but are playing in positions we are somewhat OK in.

Add those 4 into our starting 11 and it is immediately a much more balanced team.

Can't beat a bit of fantasy football:D

First 11...

De gea

Tripper

Bailly

Alderwield

Rose

Matic

Dembele

Pogba

Erikson

Kane

On talent alone final spot prob martial although sanchez son and alli are all better all round footballers

So if Pochettino has arguably a more talented first 11 or certainly one that is on par isn't it somewhat worrying (as a proposed future United manager) he is trailing behind Jose in the league

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    Being somewhat realistic if they were for sale in the morning then Rose, Alderweireld,Eriksen and Dembele would all add a huge amount to the starting 11.
    Of course Kane and Alli would also be huge additions but are playing in positions we are somewhat OK in.

Add those 4 into our starting 11 and it is immediately a much more balanced team.

Can't beat a bit of fantasy football:D

Dembele is apparently off to China in the summer. Saw a headline as such yesterday.

Eriksen is awesome, but would just solidify the Pogba conundrum; he's a #10 so would keep Pogba in the 2 man mid.

Alderweireld and Rose though genuinely could be getable.

So if Pochettino has arguably a more talented first 11 or certainly one that is on par isn't it somewhat worrying (as a proposed future United manager) he is trailing behind Jose in the league

Not really, our squad is much bigger than spurs as well so we have players to fill in come suspension/injury.
    do a comparison on spend and see the difference. Also watch the game this saturday and the difference will be clear

I've just realized how unbearable this thread will be if Spurs, specifically Poch, beat us this weekend.

Like, worse than usual when we lose....

I've just realized how unbearable this thread will be if Spurs, specifically Poch, beat us this weekend.

Lets get over tonight first :)

Not really, our squad is much bigger than spurs as well so we have players to fill in come suspension/injury.
    do a comparison on spend and see the difference. Also watch the game this saturday and the difference will be clear

Its just an interesting thought for me, like sure United spent loads of money and much of it wasted over the years and one of the reason Pouch is touted is he does things on a budget but if he has a team/squad that is on par or above Uniteds, shouldn't spurs be performing much better then Jose United if he is the manger people make him out to be.

Its all a bit subjective but its another way to look at things and probably a better way then money spent when looking at managers and how well their teams do.

Its just an interesting thought for me, like sure United spent loads of money and much of it wasted over the years and one of the reason Pouch is touted is he does things on a budget but if he has a team/squad that is on par or above Uniteds, shouldn't spurs be performing much better then Jose United if he is the manger people make him out to be.

Its all a bit subjective but its another way to look at things and probably a better way then money spent when looking at managers and how well their teams do.

To me, Poch has the benefit of having had a few years longer to shape his team, as well as a more consistent transfer policy over that longer period.

Thats not to dismiss coaching altogether. Obviously building the unit is the responsibility of the manager.

But there's a long term damage caused by our lack of transfer vision between Fergie retiring and now (buying players for three different managers with different philosophies), and a character problem with players who aren't gelling well together. Its partially why I back Jose fully in the transfer window, in a bid to let him solidify the team as a unit. We've still got remenants of past regimes and individuals who need the team built around them to succeed.

Spurs are greater than the sum of their parts. Pool too. All the players are on the same page. We don't have that luxury. We're still ahead of them in the league, mind. But we'd be doing better, imo, if we can build a team where everyone is dedicated not just towards individual success but the team as a whole....

Dembele is apparently off to China in the summer. Saw a headline as such yesterday.

Eriksen is awesome, but would just solidify the Pogba conundrum; he's a #10 so would keep Pogba in the 2 man mid.

Alderweireld and Rose though genuinely could be getable.

Eriksen plays a lot on the right though alli through the middle. Would love to see us sign eriksen he can actually cross a ball as well

Am I the only who doesn't get excited by Danny Rose?

28, 24, 18, 7

Thats his 77 league appearances over the last 4 seasons. He is also 27 which is a bit off putting but I could totally accept him being LB if he didn't miss so many games injured/unfit and be seem to be getting worse with age.

De gea on pfa team of the year. Aguero also made it for the first time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Eriksen plays a lot on the right though alli through the middle. Would love to see us sign eriksen he can actually cross a ball as well

So you want to by Eriksen and play him on the flipping right? What the actual fück..

So you want to by Eriksen and play him on the flipping right? What the actual fück..

Gotta keep Pogba dave no matter what.

Am I the only who doesn't get excited by Danny Rose?

28, 24, 18, 7

Thats his 77 league appearances over the last 4 seasons. He is also 27 which is a bit off putting but I could totally accept him being LB if he didn't miss so many games injured/unfit and be seem to be getting worse with age.

I’d much rather Tierney.. I don’t think Rose is all that tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Talisman wrote: »

There are none.

It wont be a massive shock if it does happen as the teams arent a million miles apart in terms of league position.

Its the likes of the result at the weekend that make my blood boil.

We should be kicking on now at this final stretch of the league and securing second place but yet we are losing at home to WBA.

Finishing second this season is a lot different imo than finishing third or fourth(despite the same reward of CL football).

City are champions and have been well gone from the rest for a long time. If we can finish as the next best(which is all we can have hoped for for the last few months) then that is a real boost for the club and hopefully something to be built on and more progress. It would be a pretty good end result considering the very mixed an often disappointing season we have had.

• Advertisement

Where he has played the majority of his football this season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

adox wrote:
    There are none.

I think Lukaku is showing signs of growing into one.

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    I think Lukaku is showing signs of growing into one.

Possibly but we need a leader or leaders further back the pitch.
    The collective collapse when going behind happens way too often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

What you guys think of the PFa team of the year ?
     I find it strange that they always pick defenders on positions as in the best right back ,the best left back and the two best centre backs but then it goes out the window, No left winger in it this year and no proper centre midfielder why ? Surely they should decide a formation and put in the best players in each position or is that to straight forward ?
     If you wana pick the best 11 players regardless of position why always pick a proper back four ?

Those sanchez stats at the end are quite shocking!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement