Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

astradave wrote:
    Skilllls!

Bangkok must've curled up in the fetal position seeing them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I would be quite happy if Fellaini did extend his stay but I think there is zero chance of that happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

brinty wrote: »
    Bangkok must've curled up in the fetal position seeing them

It was actually a class piece of skill, loved it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

pjohnson wrote: »
    I would be quite happy if Fellaini did extend his stay but I think there is zero chance of that happening.

Yeah I'd be happy to see him stay. We need one cm in the summer but keeping Fellaini would be a good move keep the numbers up in CM.A good squad option to have. If Fellaini leaves probably need to buy 2 CMs in the summer. Anyone think Pereira will come back and play a decent part?
    Matic
    Pogba
    New CM
    Herrera
    McT
    Fellaini

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

If he decided to go to china, fair enough I'd just be a little pissed we wouldn't make any money out of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

New jersey

manchester-united-18-19-home-kit-2.jpg

Just noticed the 85% prediction accuracy so might not be it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I love Fellaini.

He's a great backup player to have. Hard working, a genuine "game changer" (thats not saying he's amazing, but he offers a Plan C when needed)...but I 100% understand at his age, he wants to be starting games and/or looking for the last big pay day.

Will be very sorry to see him go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I love Fellaini.

He's a great backup player to have. Hard working, a genuine "game changer" (thats not saying he's amazing, but he offers a Plan C when needed)...but I 100% understand at his age, he wants to be starting games and/or looking for the last big pay day.

Will be very sorry to see him go.

I thinks hes an appalling player and if we have ambitions to get back to challenging for the important trophies then he should be no where near the first team. If he does stay then bringing him on for the last 5 minutes of a game we are desperate for a goal would be his role and that's it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJC0EmrK4vQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Didn't see this posted. Rafael on leaving United.

http://www.espn.in/football/club/manchester-united/360/blog/post/3459151/former-manchester-united-full-back-rafael-da-silva-talks-to-espn-fc

"Van Gaal is not a bad coach, but I didn't like his character. One day, I was in the canteen waiting to eat. Van Gaal used to speak to us after we'd eaten each day. I had a head injury after a game at Yeovil -- one of the few games I played in that season -- and I was touching my injury. After three or four seconds, he touched my head and said: 'Why don't you respect me?'

"I stood up and said: 'I always respect you. I've never said anything which was disrespectful to you.' I am a patient guy, but I got angry then. I had done nothing wrong. Antonio [Valencia] later said to me: 'You're not going to play again.' Players didn't speak back to Van Gaal. Antonio was almost right; I barely played again. I love Manchester United, but I was so desperate to leave United. Only one man did that because I liked everything about the place. I couldn't handle him anymore."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Rafael was another player who could have been kept on. A good squad option and was sold for a pittance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

xtal191 wrote: »
    New jersey

manchester-united-18-19-home-kit-2.jpg

Just noticed the 85% prediction accuracy so might not be it

It’s supposed to be nearly that except the fade is much nicer, it fades into the black instead of block lines.. from what I have heard anyways

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

yabadabado wrote: »
    Rafael was another player who could have been kept on. A good squad option and was sold for a pittance.

He's always a go to for me on Football Managers when I want a cheap RB back up that the fans love :P

threein99 wrote: »
    I thinks hes an appalling player and if we have ambitions to get back to challenging for the important trophies then he should be no where near the first team. If he does stay then bringing him on for the last 5 minutes of a game we are desperate for a goal would be his role and that's it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJC0EmrK4vQ

You could make a YouTube video for probably any player in the world doing something similar or worse

Villerreal want celtics dembele for 15m, that tierney figure of 8-10m is about right

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Didn't see this posted. Rafael on leaving United.

http://www.espn.in/football/club/manchester-united/360/blog/post/3459151/former-manchester-united-full-back-rafael-da-silva-talks-to-espn-fc

"Van Gaal is not a bad coach, but I didn't like his character. One day, I was in the canteen waiting to eat. Van Gaal used to speak to us after we'd eaten each day. I had a head injury after a game at Yeovil -- one of the few games I played in that season -- and I was touching my injury. After three or four seconds, he touched my head and said: 'Why don't you respect me?'

"I stood up and said: 'I always respect you. I've never said anything which was disrespectful to you.' I am a patient guy, but I got angry then. I had done nothing wrong. Antonio [Valencia] later said to me: 'You're not going to play again.' Players didn't speak back to Van Gaal. Antonio was almost right; I barely played again. I love Manchester United, but I was so desperate to leave United. Only one man did that because I liked everything about the place. I couldn't handle him anymore."

Well now that's an image I didn't need. Any talented posters want to draw that comic :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Well now that's an image I didn't need. Any talented posters want to draw that comic :p

comicshowthecourt1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

MagicIRL wrote: »
    comicshowthecourt1.png

the image gets worse!

the image gets worse!

You asked for it, now you must live with your decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

bangkok wrote: »
    Villerreal want celtics dembele for 15m, that tierney figure of 8-10m is about right

Lol its not the buying club that sets the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,376 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

One person, and personal favourite, who hasn't gotten much comments is good old Phil Jones. I thought he played great yesterday, mad to think it was his first game in what? Over 2 months? I know he had a horror show last time out against Spurs but would love to see him back with a point to prove. Doubt it though.

While Jones played well, one point in particular showed what most United players are lacking - when Rashford got caught badly in a 2vs1 (off a corner or free I think).

He was initially put into a 2vs1 which wasn't his fault but he just stood there as the player he did face up passed it off and ran into the box for the return. Jones covered well and cleared it out for a throw (good play).

The bit that annoyed me was the reaction after it. A slightly miffed look at Rashford.

It was a shocking piece of 'defending' from Rashford. Jones, being the defender that took charge should have been bllcking Rashford out it. Or at least someone should. United have no vocal player calling that crap out and keeping people focused.

The united player chat, they don't order and lead.

• Advertisement

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Features/2018/Apr/Video-Vote-for-your-favourite-Manchester-United-goal-of-the-2017-18-season.aspx?utm_campaign=ManUtd&utm_medium=post&utm_source=twitter

Goal of the Season vote on the official site.

1. Valencia
    2. Matic
    3. Martial

Player of the year voting is up too.

I went for Lingard. Been our most consistent outfield performer.

1. Lingard.
    2. Lukaku.
    3. Matic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

yabadabado wrote: »

Yep always said it about him he was a player we should never of sold especially when he was replaced with Darmian.

For what Rafael lacked in quality he made up for it in passion for the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If Martial was a City player he’d never see the field, he hasn’t really improved since we bought him. The stories of his unhappiness whenever he is dropped are ridiculous because it is always a deserved benching from my view.

If we want to win the league next year I don’t think Martial can be in the team.

If Martial was a City player he’d never see the field, he hasn’t really improved since we bought him

Under managers better able to improve their attackers, maybe Martial would have improved and be the star player he could be, and be playing ahead of Sterling (for example).

I do have questions over his attitude, but I think ignoring the lack of impact Jose has had in getting any of our attacking players playing to their best has to be taken into account. Same to be said regarding LVG as well, imo. I don't think our attackers really benefited under him.

Martial, Rashford, Mkhitaryan, Sanchez, Mata. All players that I think can be better than they have shown for us. Lukaku and Lingard would be the only attacking players I consider to have done well under mourinho.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Goal of the Season vote on the official site..

I went with

Goal of the Season.

1. Matic
    2. Valencia
    3. Rashford

Player of the year.

1. Lingard
    2. De Gea
    3. Lukaku

For the u21s and u18s I went with the 2 Irish lads, although I expect Mitchell and Chong to win them.

Goal of the year Valencia. Player of the year de Gea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

The united player chat, they don't order and lead.
    Above all else Man Utd need a leader to marshall the defence. The difference in Liverpool's performances is like night and day since Van Dijk went in to the back line. He has organised the defenders, bollicked the goalkeeper and the midfielders for not doing the right thing.

Mourinho hasn't such a player at Man Utd. When he first went to Chelsea he brought Ricardo Carvalho from Porto, John Terry later became the player. It's all well and good signing good young defenders like Eric Bailly and Victor Lindelof but they need to be led. Signing an experienced defender and leader like Diego Godin from Atletico Madrid would bring the team to another level. He's old (32) but the man is as tough as nails and you only need him for a couple of years to organise and instill the mental toughness in the younger players.

Matic goal should win that, some cracker of a goal and to complete the comeback.

Actually looking at those, some amount of cracking goals this season

astradave wrote: »
    You could make a YouTube video for probably any player in the world doing something similar or worse

You make a massive playlist for Fellaini

You make a massive playlist for Fellaini

Again, you could make a massive playlist for most players.. he’s really not as bad as some people make out, he is a more than adequate back up. If he was playing 90min week in week out he would need to be improved on in the starting 11.

• Advertisement

Matic goal should win that, some cracker of a goal and to complete the comeback.

Actually looking at those, some amount of cracking goals this season

I dunno how TF Smalling vs City can get on any goal of the season list - doesn't speak well for our goal quality if that is top 10!

Again, you could make a massive playlist for most players.. he’s really not as bad as some people make out, he is a more than adequate back up. If he was playing 90min week in week out he would need to be improved on in the starting 11.

Hes no where near the level required for a team expecting to win the league or Champions League.

Hes one of the worst players to play over 100 games for United.

He can chest down a high ball like no one else, I'll give him that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I dunno how TF Smalling vs City can get on any goal of the season list - doesn't speak well for our goal quality if that is top 10!

It’s there because it was the goal that completed the comeback, no other reason. Sure the other 2 goals in that game were far better :pac:

Hes no where near the level required for a team expecting to win the league or Champions League.

Hes one of the worst players to play over 100 games for United.

He can chest down a high ball like no one else, I'll give him that much.

Not every squad player can be amazing, squad players are usually a step down from the main first 11, but Need to be able to step in and do a job if the first 11 player is missing.. Fellaini is well able to do that. He is also a great Plan B/C to have in games that are not going your way.

Along with all that he brings a level of professionalism and even has shown passion for playing for United.

The bolder part? Why does 100 games even matter.

The below is exactly what I would be thinking
    It’s there because it was the goal that completed the comeback, no other reason. Sure the other 2 goals in that game were far better :pac:

The below is exactly what I would be thinking
    Not how goals should be judged, imo. Should be judged on actually how good they were, not some context around them.

Not every squad player can be amazing, squad players are usually a step down from the main first 11, but Need to be able to step in and do a job if the first 11 player is missing.. Fellaini is well able to do that. He is also a great Plan B/C to have in games that are not going your way.

Along with all that he brings a level of professionalism and even has shown passion for playing for United.

The bolder part? Why does 100 games even matter.

Its rare players as poor as him make it to 100 games that's why I put it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I reiterate this every time the Fellaini debate comes up but I believe he has been the best midfielder at the club for the last 4 odd years. Nearly all of the good performances under LVG were with him in the team and he was crucial to the Europa and FA Cup wins in recent seasons.

Of the 3 managers since Fergie, one signed him and he won over the other 2 when everything pointed to him being shown the door. Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger and Herrera amongst the names brought in seemingly to replace him and bar Herrera he's outlasted them all.

both solid in defence and good, if unspectacular going forward. Covers a lot of ground in the middle so would actually be perfect for someone like Matic to play with and give Pogba a license to be free.

He obviously has limitations but I feel people are too concerned with what he doesn't do rather than what he does.

Not how goals should be judged, imo. Should be judged on actually how good they were, not some context around them.

I don’t think I’d be in the same boat, I would actually use context, how important they goal was and how I felt when it was scored.

For Example, I would have Ole’s goal in 99 up there in MY list, even though it really wasn’t all that but how important that was and the sheer elation that that goal made me feel.

Now that’s not saying that Smalling’s should be there, it’s more an arguement against your context point.

• Advertisement

I don’t think I’d be in the same boat, I would actually use context, how important they goal was and how I felt when it was scored.

For Example, I would have Ole’s goal in 99 up there in MY list, even though it really wasn’t all that but how important that was and the sheer elation that that goal made me feel.

Now that’s not saying that Smalling’s should be there, it’s more an arguement against your context point.

I'd have that Ole goal as a great moment.
    I'd never talk about it as a great goal.

Off the top of my head, Cole vs Barcelona would immediately stand out as a goal of the season from that year.

I suppose I would add some context to a goal - the team/players it is scored against. a well worked team goal vs one of the best teams around will, for me, rank higher, than the same type of goal against a non-league side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Matic goal of the year for me.

Lukaku POTY. New team, new way of playing, style of play not making the most of his best attributes, often playing well outside of his best position, still has 26 goals and 7 assists in competitive games, no brainer imo.

Jessie has been excellent in some games but he hasn't had a consistent run in the team to warrant POTY imo.

DDG when called upon has been as good as usual but he has had less to do this year than previously.

Matic shinned it, drops it down a level for me!

I reckon the Fans Player of the Year will go to Lukaku or DDG, and the Players Player will go to Lingard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Matic shinned it, drops it down a level for me!

Jaysus yer a tough task master Mitch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

That was funny reading back there on the pineapple on a pizza talk, and names beside it.

Was able to see connections to the arguements that happen, think Pogba is good or not, think Mourinho is working or not. That's all been a cover to the real issue we are all going to fall out over.

Pineapple on a pizza. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ah back to the Fellaini stuff....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

TheDoc wrote: »
    That was funny reading back there on the pineapple on a pizza talk, and names beside it.

Was able to see connections to the arguements that happen, think Pogba is good or not, think Mourinho is working or not. That's all been a cover to the real issue we are all going to fall out over.

Pineapple on a pizza. :D

Now that youve thrown your hat in the ring you need to declare your allegiance. #teampineapple

adox wrote: »
    Ah back to the Fellaini stuff....

Not even gonna bite :)

Pineapple is brilliant on everything.

Pizza. Yep.
    Burger. Yep.
    Sweet and Sour Curry. Yep.
    Salsa. Yep.
    Special Fried Rice (Diep). Yep.

Pineapple on a pizza is an utter disgrace.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement