Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

RobertKK wrote: »
    Cristiano Ronaldo's mother wanted to abort him as they were poor, but her doctor didn't support the decision. She said Cristiano knows and from her biography she said "He told me he found out, 'look mum, you wanted to abort and now I'm the one who's pulling the purse string in the house'"
    She had a good doctor and it ended up transforming her life and that of her family.

And the woman whose doctor pushed her not to have an abortion and rather than growing up to be a millionaire footballer the child grew up to be a heroin addict? What about her? Is her life wonderful because she couldn't get the termination she wanted?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

It is a Wordpress site I think. Protectwomenprotectthe8th.wordpress.com

Just to note that Protectwomenprotectthe8th.ie is also theirs, it does a redirect to the wordpress site.

.net .org .com .biz .co.uk all appear to be unclaimed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

SusieBlue wrote: »
    That's totally irrelevant. I know for a fact that at least one poster here will tell you herself she has no regrets and made the right choice for her family with her abortion.
    Posting hyperbole about Ronaldo trying to tug at the heartstrings has absolutely nothing to do with whether Irish women should be allowed a choice or not.

Sounds like you support censorship and abortion stories where the mother didn't go through with it can't be mentioned...doesn't support the narrative that people want I guess.

kylith wrote: »
    And the woman whose doctor pushed her not to have an abortion and rather than growing up to be a millionaire footballer the child grew up to be a heroin addict? What about her? Is her life wonderful because she couldn't get the termination she wanted?

Are you saying heroin addicts should be killed, which would bring far more misery to the mother?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Sounds like you support censorship and abortion stories where the mother didn't go through with it can't be mentioned...doesn't support the narrative that people want I guess.

mention them all you like. they are just irrelevant.

• Advertisement

And your point Is?

Change the name Cristiano Ronaldo to Peter Sutcliffe, Harold Shipman or Charles Manson and tell us you would have still posted that pile of crap :rolleyes:

Because only bad people are allowed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Back with the hyperbole and emotive stories...

Fun times.

A life that brings joy to millions is irrelevant...that would be like saying the life of someone you love is irrelevant as the life itself is irrelevant.

A life that brings joy to millions is irrelevant...that would be like saying the life of someone you love is irrelevant as the life itself is irrelevant.

your stories are irrelevant. there are as many stories to counter it, if not more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Cristiano Ronaldo's mother wanted to abort him as they were poor, but her doctor didn't support the decision. She said Cristiano knows and from her biography she said "He told me he found out, 'look mum, you wanted to abort and now I'm the one who's pulling the purse string in the house'"
    She had a good doctor and it ended up transforming her life and that of her family.

So?

And you've also missed the part where he jokes with her about that, however the context you have it makes it sound serious.

I've told you before, my mother would have considered an abortion with me, if it had been an option.

I'm thoroughly ok with it, and still support Repeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Are you saying heroin addicts should be killed, which would bring far more misery to the mother?

Please point out where I said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I support reasonable, intelligent debate.
    You seem incapable of engaging maturely, your go-to tactic seems to be to use emotive stories and language in an effort to manipulate (who could forget your nephew story) people, and when you're called out on it, you play the victim and cry censorship.

your stories are irrelevant. there are as many stories to counter it, if not more.

So many you name none...

Steve Jobs believed he would likely have been aborted if the US had legal abortion when he was being gestated by his mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,592 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Because only bad people are allowed?

No, I'm saying if any of thier mothers had said that you definitely wouldn't have posted it because a millionaire footballers mother saying that tugs at the heartstrings of some, a serial killers mother saying that doesnt.

It's a nice ploy Robert but people see through those little stories for what they are.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I support reasonable, intelligent debate.
    You seem incapable of engaging maturely, your go-to tactic seems to be to use emotive stories and language in an effort to manipulate (who could forget your nephew story) people, and when you're called out on it, you play the victim and cry censorship.

But that is not the truth.
    If they are emotive then maybe they are touching on something that is deep inside someone and something that is being repressed.
    It is censorship if you don't want certain posts posted, what else can one call it?

So many you name none...

Steve Jobs believed he would likely have been aborted if the US had legal abortion when he was being gestated by his mother.

Your point is?

So many you name none...

So???? Seriously???? What's your point???? You keep posting in this line of thinking, so you must have one??????

But that is not the truth.
    If they are emotive then maybe they are touching on something that is deep inside someone and something that is being repressed.
    It is censorship if you don't want certain posts posted, what else can one call it?

Your posts have zero effect on me, but someone less sure of their position might be guilted into voting your way. Its dishonest.
    I suppose its those people the No side are campaigning to really. Anyone sure of their position can see straight through your tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Is it just me and if so I'll delete the post, but say when Bertie stops posting, Robert KK comes in and when he goes out another one comes in to post. Its like they're on a roster 10 till 2 Bertie, 2 to 6 RobertKK, then Bertie is back and then..... I would block them but I'm having too much fun telling them that I don't care about their chat about UK, Canada etc, about Cristiano Ronaldo's mum - what about Peter Sutcliffes mum - whats the bet she wished she'd had an abortion - their stories are nonsensical.

Repeal all the way - and I'm predicting 70 / 30 for repeal. Bible bashers have no say in my reproductive system

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

What does that really mean though? Why is that an argument against abortion?

• Advertisement

No, I'm saying if any of thier mothers had said that you definitely wouldn't have posted it because a millionaire footballers mother saying that tugs at the heartstrings of some, a serial killers mother saying that doesnt.

It's a nice ploy Robert but people see through those little stories for what they are.

But did their mothers say it?
    I am sure repealthe8th would use them to show why abortion is good. But maybe there is no evidence to back it up that they did want to abort them.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Madscientist30

Is Ronaldo's life worth more because he is a football player? What's your point here? If you are saying that thanks to abortion not being an option a life which brought joy to millions was possible, does that mean that you are in favour of abortion as an option where the life will bring misery to others?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I am sure repealthe8th would use them to show why abortion is good. But maybe there is no evidence to back it up that they did want to abort them.

I am sure repealthe8th would use them to show why the choice to be able to have an abortion is good.

There ya go Robert. Now it's a correct statement.

What does that really mean though? Why is that an argument against abortion?

How many people who would have enriched the world for millions of other people were never let enter the world alive to do so? Their lives instead were viewed as being a problem that needed to be sorted via an abortion.
    We could all be living in a totally different reality but we will never know due to abortion taking millions of lives.

How many people who would have enriched the world for millions of other people were never let enter the world alive to do so? Their lives instead were viewed as being a problem that needed to be sorted via an abortion.
    We could all be living in a totally different reality but we will never know due to abortion taking millions of lives.

And maybe if Hitler's mother aborted Hitler we'd have never had the holocaust.

Again, what is your point?

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I am sure repealthe8th would use them to show why the choice to be able to have an abortion is good.

There ya go Robert. Now it's a correct statement.

There is a slight irony though if one examined it a bit closer but some would not be happy if I said what that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Madscientist30

Imagine if Hitler's mother had had an abortion!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Your point is that women should be forced to go through with pregnancies because there's an infinitesimal chance that the child will grow up to become a multi-millionaire celebrity.

Imagine saying that everyone should be forced to buy lotto tickets whether they can afford to or not?

That's your argument.

January wrote: »
    And maybe if Hitler's mother aborted Hitler we'd have never had the holocaust.

Again, what is your point?

If people respected all life maybe people wouldn't see other lives being expendable.

• Advertisement

How many people who would have made the world considerably worse for millions of other people were never let enter the world alive to do so?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement