Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Comments

Also we already have restrictive laws in place and will most likely still will with a ban on late abortions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Your methods are... different... :pac:

It made me laugh out loud which isn't a bad thing at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

amdublin wrote: »
    It made me laugh out loud which isn't a bad thing at all

The funny thing is is that this is what will happen for many an undecided voter out there in the days and hours before they vote and many will go with the last opinion/anecdote they heard....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

I genuinely dont believe Robert and Bertie are the same person. The posting style is not the same at all. There are a lot of people in Ireland like Robert and Bertie who think pro life. I actually really wouldnt label some of the pro life people here as rereg trolls.

Sorry I wasn't clear enough. What I meant was Bertie, RobertKK and thee glitz are on a roster - 3 different people - one poster seems to post prolife stuff for 2 or 3 hours, then they disappear and another prolife poster posts for a period of time, then they disappear and another prolife poster comes on. To me it looks like a co-ordinated roster.

Now I could be talking to the birds like RobertKK (he's talking to martians apparently) but thats how it seems to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

DubInMeath wrote: »
    thee glitz wrote: »
    So what is the appetite to legislate for stricter laws than proposed around here?

What's this got to do with your statement that rape victims, FFA are a happy convenience for people wanting repeal

If the proposed legislation was stricter than it is ie. not allowing for abortion for no reason, but dependent on an assessment of reasonability, then there would be more support for repeal, making it more likely that abortion would be made available where deemed 'required'. Instead, we see the case for abortion for any / no reason pushed as necessary to ensure that those who do reasonably need it have it available.

it would appear that you don't have much in the way of compassion for them.

I'd like to see stricter proposed legislation than there is so that more people would be comfortable about voting to repeal, hope I've changed your opinion of me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

So what is the appetite to legislate for stricter laws than proposed around here?

What's this got to do with your statement that rape victims, FFA are a happy convenience for people wanting repeal

If the proposed legislation was stricter than it is ie. not allowing for abortion for no reason, but dependent on an assessment of reasonability, then there would be more support for repeal, making it more likely that abortion would be made available where deemed 'required'. Instead, we see the case for abortion for any / no reason pushed as necessary to ensure that those who do reasonably need it have it available.

it would appear that you don't have much in the way of compassion for them.

I'd like to see stricter proposed legislation than there is so that more people would be comfortable about voting to repeal, hope I've changed your opinion of me.
    No woman should be required to give a bizxybody like you a reason for exercising her right to bodily autonomy.
    Her body her rights her business
    #trustwomen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,512 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

reasonable to who, exactly? to you? why should anybody apart from the woman involved get a say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I

It was only a few pages ago you were saying that pro-choice were telling children born from rape to kill themselves, and that pro-choice think rape cases themselves are a happy convenience. I don't for one second believe that you are in any way interested in trying to get the 8th repealed.

Any woman who chooses to have an abortion will have a reason to do so and I don't believe it would be a trivial matter to them to do so, so I don't see where your getting your abortion for no reason argument from. What' exactly is no reason in your opinion?

I would hope most sensible people have no issue with a woman obtaining an abortion for her own personal reasons within the purposes 12 week time frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Simi

If the proposed legislation was stricter than it is ie. not allowing for abortion for no reason, but dependent on an assessment of reasonability...

An assessment of responsibility? Are you suggesting we form tribunals to adjudicate how worthy a woman is of receiving medical care?

What would be the level of proof a woman would need to provide to satisfy YOU that she is deserving of an abortion? Would women need to provide bank statements, character references, medical records, evidence of contraceptive use?

No woman wakes up in the morning and decides 'oh I think I'll have an abortion today for no reason.' She has a reason and that's all that matters. She should never have to explain it or justify it to people like you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Any woman who chooses to have an abortion will have a reason to do so and I don't believe it would be a trivial matter to them to do so, so I don't see where your getting your abortion for no reason argument from. What' exactly is no reason in your opinion?

I would hope most sensible people have no issue with a woman obtaining an abortion for her own personal reasons within the purposes 12 week time frame.
    Well, your first mistake was assuming women are able to think for themselves. Clearly they are not. Therefore, choice is a bad thing. The silly girls will go and get abortions for no reason, not even knowing why they are doing it a bit like buy an iPod when they first came around, then will regret it for the rest of their lives. We men need to save them from their own delicate minds and thick skulls you see, and they will thank us for it when that little bump on their bellies is being sent to it's very first foster home.

I think that should clear the matter up.

Thanks Billy, you just proved to the wife that she has the wrong opinion of me and I'm actually very trusting of all people and a bit naive :-)

Do you really think that there cam ever be a situation of "no reason" for having an abortion?
    I'd say 'I just want to' is equivalent to 'no reason', certainty a subset of 'no good reason'.
    Do you have children?
    Not sure - I've 1 so?
    Do you know people with children?

I know at least 3 people who have kids.
    Any child, no matter how wanted upends every aspect of a woman's life, both during pregnancy and afterwards.
    Yes - that's being a parent.
    Not wanting to be pregnant is a very good reason for wanting an abortion as is not wanting to have a child.

Not wanting to be pregnant or have a child explains why you'd want an abortion. But how can you justify it?
    Are you so dismissive of women's hopes, dreams, lives and struggles that you can call not wanting to be pregnant no reason?

My boss, her boss, are women, doing a great job - I wouldn't class myself as a misogynist.

Do you really think that there cam ever be a situation of "no reason" for having an abortion?
    I'd say 'I just want to' is equivalent to 'no reason', certainty a subset of 'no good reason'.
    Do you have children?
    Not sure - I've 1 so?
    Do you know people with children?

Any child, no matter how wanted upends every aspect of a woman's life, both during pregnancy and afterwards.
    Not wanting to be pregnant is a very good reason for wanting an abortion as is not wanting to have a child.

Not wanting to be pregnant or have a child explains why you'd want an abortion. But how can you justify it?
    Are you so dismissive of women's hopes, dreams, lives and struggles that you can call not wanting to be pregnant no reason?

My boss, her boss, are women, doing a great job - I wouldn't class myself as a misogynist.
    The misogynistic arrogance of you demanding that any woman "justify" her decision.
    Who do you think you are to demand any woman justify her decision to small minded bizzybodies like you
    How does my wife or daughters decisions become any of your business?
    #rejectmisogyny
    Embrace Repeal

It was only a few pages ago you were saying that pro-choice were telling children born from rape to kill themselves

I never did. Got issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Has anyone seen any prochoice posters or anything around where they live? I live just outside Waterford City and I haven't seen a single prochoice poster. All I see are those 3 stupid vans driving around with their antichoice nonsense on the sides.

erica74 wrote: »
    Has anyone seen any prochoice posters or anything around where they live? I live just outside Waterford City and I haven't seen a single prochoice poster. All I see are those 3 stupid vans driving around with their antichoice nonsense on the sides.
    No
    I live in Dublin 14 and see nothing but the anti-woman posters,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Nothing around Cavan or Longford either that I've noticed.
    The only thing I've encountered so far are people handing out pro life leaflets after a football match in Cavan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Zerbini Blewitt

Of course, you wouldn’t. I’d say not a single pro-lifer in the country believes he/she is a misogynist – even those who would be of the view that the death of a woman is not sufficient grounds for allowing an abortion.

Those who are not pro-life (not pro forced-incubation) can clearly see that all pro-lifers (even the mildest) are misogynists (re: first trimester).

One either believes that a woman has the rights of any citizen that have evolved over the past 1,000 years of history or you believe she becomes state property or a vessel who must be discriminated against and have important rights & protections stripped away from the moment a pregnancy test result comes in.

It is a binary thing; There is no wriggle room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,098 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The national campaign has no posters up anywhere yet for various reasons.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Nothing in Clonmel either that I can see.

What I have come across online is the Together for Yes FB pages - I'm liking them all, spreading the truth that way. I'm particularly delighted to see older people, who voted for this amendment in 1983, now being prochoice as they see the misery that the amendment has caused.

Repeal all the way = no busybody has any say in my body autonomy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I never did. Got issues?

Yes, you did.
    did you ask them why they haven't killed themselves yet?

What issues do you think I have, exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

Is it just me and if so I'll delete the post, but say when Bertie stops posting, Robert KK comes in and when he goes out another one comes in to post. Its like they're on a roster 10 till 2 Bertie, 2 to 6 RobertKK, then Bertie is back and then.....
    Is that 10 o'clock Irish time or 10 o'clock in New York?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭citygal93

Article in today's independent on this: 'This is completely unacceptable' - Toy shop apologises as abortion referendum material delivered inside catalogues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

baylah17 wrote: »
    No woman should be required to give a bizxybody like you a reason for exercising her right to bodily autonomy.

I am not a big Varadkar fan, but I did like this quote on how abortion will be after the 8th is repealed:

"No longer an article of our Constitution, but rather a private and personal matter for women and doctors".

baylah17 wrote: »
    Her body her rights her business
    #trustwomen

trustwomen what? The logical conclusion from your post, and previous, is that you're against any restrictions on abortion. I appreciate that, unlike many, you answered my question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

The national campaign has no posters up anywhere yet for various reasons.

What are the various reasons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Not sure - I've 1 so?

Just because a crisis pregnancy hasn't knocked on your door yet, doesn't mean it never will.
    I can say with total confidence that there will be a day where you will be glad that people like me voted Yes for people like you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

From pro-choice people? Zero. The proposed legislation is already a compromise between the pro-choice side and the more conservative on the Citizen's Assembly:

48% have recommended that the termination of pregnancy without restriction should be lawful up to 12 weeks gestation age only.
    44 % have recommended that the termination of pregnancy without restriction should be lawful up to 22 weeks’ gestation age only.
    8% have recommended that the termination of pregnancy with no restriction to gestational age.

The pro-life crew seem to be betting the house on defeating the amendment in the Referendum. I have not heard word one from their side about the legislation to follow.

If they lose the referendum, it will be hard for them to fight on given that the outline of the legislation has been well-flagged and will effectively be authorised by the Yes vote.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

What are the various reasons?

Lack of funds is the main one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement