Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'm not niave and I do genuinely believe it will be a landslide victory for repeal.

I've never taken part in a poll; noone I know has ever taken part so I'm not sure they represent a proper cross section of society.

You are naive if you dont take polling seriously. Sorry but you are.

I just hate the idea of people being given the impression this is all over when it's not. There are millions of people still to convince.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I see from the Together for Yes facebook that they have printed a run of 5,000 posters. We should see lots of Yes posters going up. They will be crowdfunding for further printing runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

January wrote: »
    Hundreds of people turned up for a love both rally in drogheda today lol

https://twitter.com/LoveBothDrog/status/980108146134970368?s=19

!!!!!!!!!!

Oh dear god almighty!!!!!

Maybe we will be ok! (The pro repeal side)

I see from the Together for Yes facebook that they have printed a run of 5,000 posters. We should see lots of Yes posters going up. They will be crowdfunding for further printing runs.

Crowd funding will be going live some time next week apparently. I've donated already but I'll be donating again to this I'd like to see more Yes posters up

Good few out canvassing in Dunshaughlin and I believe Dunboyne yesterday.
    Stall set up outside Dunshaughlin Garda station, while two women were marching up and down the main street with a banner and posters. Village is covered with their posters, no sign of any repeal posters yet. Navan the same in terms of posters from what I could see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Are they counting those paper people and the children too young to vote??:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Don't underestimate the NO side

They have their posters up
    They are out there and are visible
    They will be whipping up sentiment using lies and falsehoods (e.g. their posters)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Thanks for that. Reading the comments below was very entertaining.
    The picture of the inauguration crowd had me crying with laughter.

Still very wary about the result. If marriage equality referendum is anything to go by then some of those don't knows are 'shy' no voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭applehunter

Why is it so shocking to you? Lets assume that the pattern in Ireland is similar, 1 in 5 pregnancies ends in abortion (excluding miscarraiges).

Now think of the converse if abortion was completely outlawed/unavailable as you seem to favour...12,000 forced pregnancies a year in Ireland, 12,000 unwanted children being born into often very difficult circumstances. That is much more shocking for me to contemplate, the effect that would have on us as a society. Do you really feel that forcing all these pregnancies to continue is the better option? What are your proposals for supporting these extra lives, financially, emotionally, practically?

Where is your humanity?

I think that an abortion is the killing of an unborn child.

An unborn child that without violence would be walking around just like you or I.

The fact that 1/5 children are being killed is a shocking statistic.

It's no wonder there have been mathematicians out today trying to disprove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Where is your humanity?

An unborn child that without violence would be walking around just like you or I.

Given you think that, what do you think should happen to women who travel or order pills online? tried for murder?

Also, how are your efforts to repeal the 13th amendment going?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

DubInMeath wrote: »
    No where near 100,000 attended but a good few came up from the country for the march, so not all dubs or based in Dublin.

It might be closer than some think, but as long as it's repealed is what matters.

It will be close. Without a doubt. It will be much tighter than the MarRef.

And repeal is not assured.

Given you think that, what do you think should happen to women who travel or order pills online? tried for murder?

Prosecute abortionists not the mothers.

Abortion is wrong. It is the killing of an innocent life.

In Ireland we recognise this and have given constitutional protection to our unborn while also recognising the rights of the mother.
    Also, how are your efforts to repeal the 13th amendment going?

I am not campaigning to repeal the 13th amendment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

In Ireland we recognise this and have given constitutional protection to our unborn while also recognising the rights of the mother.

I am not campaigning to repeal the 13th amendment.

Why not?

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Why not?

Immediacy.

I am campaigning to retain the 8th Amendment.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I’m increasingly convinced the 8th will indeed be overturned. I’d wager there will be a push to get younger voters registered and like the 2015 SSM referendum people will come back home from abroad to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Immediacy.

But it doesn't stop abortions, whereas overturning the 13th actually might.

Also, what about women importing the abortion pill and nobody ever being investigated for that : is that not "immediate" enough for you?

It's a constitutional obligation to stop them, all you'd have to do would be file a complaint with AGS.

Still not interested? Why not?

Or would that be the next step in the event of a win in the "immediate" case?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Where is your humanity?

Where is your humanity? You want to put the "rights" of an unborn baby above the rights of a woman.
    What violence are you talking about? An abortion is a medical procedure. And right now in Ireland, it is a procedure that many women carry out unsupervised after purchasing pills online.
    1 out of 5 children aren't being killed, would you stop with the nonsense. You don't understand the difference between a child and an unborn baby.

Repeal the 8th. Give women the freedom to choose how to proceed with their pregnancies. Give women the right to complete medical care throughout their pregnancy in Ireland.

Also, "abortionists" are medical professionals who provide medical care to women who need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

The only right of the mother that's recognised is her right to life, and prosecuting her doesn't breach that right.

For most illegal abortions in Ireland, the "abortionist" is the mother. If you really believe abortion is the killing of an innocent life, then there's no
    reason you wouldn't want to see the person who carried out that killing prosecuted.

Unless you've gone soft on crime?
    Immediacy.

The 13th Amendment has been in place for the last 25 years. Have you said or done anything about it in that time?

And if the referendum doesn't pass, and the 8th remains in place, will you do anything about the 13th afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Madscientist30

Why is it so shocking to you? Lets assume that the pattern in Ireland is similar, 1 in 5 pregnancies ends in abortion (excluding miscarraiges).

Now think of the converse if abortion was completely outlawed/unavailable as you seem to favour...12,000 forced pregnancies a year in Ireland, 12,000 unwanted children being born into often very difficult circumstances. That is much more shocking for me to contemplate, the effect that would have on us as a society. Do you really feel that forcing all these pregnancies to continue is the better option? What are your proposals for supporting these extra lives, financially, emotionally, practically?

Where is your humanity?

I do have humanity, that is why I think forcing 12,000 extra children a year into the world is extremely inhumane for the women involved, the children and society as a whole. The vast vast majority of those 1 in 5 are at less than 12 weeks gestation. They are not sentient and do not suffer. I have asked you and numerous others on this thread what your proposals are to alleviate the real and actual suffering that would be caused by forcing pregnancies to continue at all cost. You ignored this question, as if that pain and suffering is unimportant or not worthy of your concern. Where's the humanity in that exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Once again here is what we are talking about, an ultrasound of a child (my term) in the womb at 24 weeks.

And once again here is a case of you ignoring everything I said and asked you and simply repeating your rhetoric unedited in any way. What a fetus LOOKS like should have zero impact on the debate. There is nothing about the SHAPE of something that should mediate our moral and ethical concerns. For example if our technology reaches the point where I could install your sentience onto the physical equivalent of a toaster, that fact you look nothing like a human at all would not in the least bit detract from the mass of moral and ethical concern I should have towards your well being.
    I have had a hard time trying to establish for myself what your views on taking such a life are. That's not because you haven't said what they are but because to me and I think to a lot of people they come across as very extreme.

Discourse is the way to establish what a persons views are. However you did not deign to reply to my last post to you, choosing instead to entirely ignore it. So forgive me if my sympathy for your difficulty is zero. Were I seeing you making the attempt in good faith I would feel sympathy, but the opposite seems to be the case. Especially given your shift from talking WITH me to talking ABOUT me in ways that do not represent me accurately.

However I am genuinely baffled what part of my views is causing you the difficulty. It really is quite simple. I believe rights, and moral and ethical concerns, are in the business of mediating the actions of, and well being of, sentient entities. The fetus is not a sentience entity and never has been. Therefore I have no moral and ethical concerns for it.

If you could zero in on what aspect of that actually causes your difficulties I can certainly elaborate on it.

I certainly do not see what is "extreme" either. We have had a few users of boards.ie claiming that fetus/child has no rights until birth and can happily be killed at ANY point for ANY reason on that continuum.

THAT is extreme but I have little reason to doubt their sincerity. With one exception; a user who touted that nonsense in an attempt to make the pro choice side look bad for years, but as soon as the referendum was announced he instantly shifted his position to the complete opposite extreme and is now claiming no fetus should be aborted ever for ANY non medical reason. Quite the shift and quite the timely one too. Suspect I think.

My positions in comparison to those extremes are very moderate and central on the continuum. And my positions do not appear to differ from many pro choice speakers here AT ALL. I am just much more expressive about the reasoning I have behind them. My conclusions are pretty average however. What part of arguing for abortion by choice in society up to an ideal of 16 weeks are you seeing as "extreme" here exactly? Is that not what pretty much ever other pro choice speaker here is calling for on this site? OR here? :confused::confused::confused:
    this question of abortions performed on demand up to 24 weeks is not some abstruse and esoteric point. It's exactly what you are being asked to vote on on May 25.

Errrrr no it is not "exactly" what we are being asked to vote on at all. By a long shot. It is of course unclear whether you are lying here, or merely ignorant of what the vote actually is, but it would behoove you and your credibility on the site to change it either way. Especially as all three citations you have offered to back up your scare mongering and paranoia are.... well.... to posts made by yourself.

If you have evidence that the government intend to implement something 100% longer than the recommendations of the Citizens Assembly, or that Clinics will A) appear and B) flout the law.... I am all ears. But assertion of this scare mongering is not going to get me there.

However even if your fantastical and unsubstantiated fantasy were to come to pass..... the reality is that in countries with no abortion at all..... in countries with limits like the UK..... and in countries with VERY flexible (if any) limits like Canada....... when we seek figures on women who have sought abortions we find that consistently 96 to 98% of them seek abortion in or before week 16. Over 92% in fact in or before week 12. So not only do your paranoid concerns appear invalid and unsubstantiated, that are also irrelevant and not really all that concerning.

But it is certainly telling, revealing even, that you can not establish a single argument against what me and others are ACTUALLY campaigning for, so you have to go to extremes we have not espoused to attack that instead. All with nothing but YOUR personal assurances such extremes will come to pass.

But I can make you an open promise. If Repeal happens (of which I have more than small doubts will occur), and if clinics or other outlets start performing abortions past the stage that law says they should be, then contact me. You will find an ally in me on the front lines of campaigning to have their head on a plate in terms of full justice and law.
    But I take it noozzferrahto that, unlike them, you have no objection to the principle, at least, of abortion on demand up to 24 weeks.

I find it superfluous to requirements and given the non-linear increase in complications and issues around later term abortions not all that useful either. I think campaigning for, and enforcing, abortion options at 12 or 16 weeks is more than enough and I see no good reason for giving it solely as an option at 24 weeks. Of course including here the same caveat as before regarding the difference between choosing to have an abortion, and requiring one for medical or other reasons.
    You are heavily committed to the idea of a reductive, scientifically measurable and quantifiable definition of what it is to be a human being. I don't doubt for a minute your sincerity in that or how integral it is to your view of the world and who you are.

I am committed to the well being of sentient entities. No more. No less. The pregnant women is one. The 12/16/20 week fetus inside her is not one. At all. And never has been.
    I'm assuming, because of your focus on 24 weeks, that sentience in this case is reduced to being able to observe regular wave patterns in fetal brain activity on an EEG - or at least it requires that.

That is indeed one of the pre-requisites of consciousness and sentience. And a fetus at, say, 16 weeks pretty much lacks the relevant activity ENTIRELY. An analogy I often use is to radio waves. Imagine in the analogy that Sentience=Radio waves. At 16 weeks the fact is NOT ONLY that there are no radio waves..... but the radio TOWER itself has not even been built yet. So often with abortion we are not JUST talking about places where certain brain activity is absent, but much of the pre-requisites for producing them (the radio tower) is too.
    To be clear I think it highly unlikely any other pro choice poster on here shares these views.

Then they are more than welcome to discuss it with me if they exist, and have any interest in doing so. Your mere invention of them to suit yourself however is as uninteresting as it is suspect and unimpressive. Which is to say: Very. But it is certainly interesting that of all the pro choice posters you speak of, not a single one feels moved to confront me. If this is not at least SOME evidence such people only exist in your fantasy la la land, I am not sure what is.
    Please tell me I'm wrong.

Wrong about what? I am consistent in my views even if no one else is. I am campaigning for choice based abortion up to 16 weeks. You are asking me about an entity at 22 weeks. It is outside the purview of my position therefore. However if a mother in the UK decided, after it's removal from her womb not to put it on life support and to let it die..... like we do with adult patients when we turn their life support off for example...... then I would not be losing any sleep over it. But it is not what I am campaigning for, or interested in seeing, implemented here in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Why? If a woman took her 5 year old out to sea and drowned them, they would face murder charges on their return. Why is this different?

(Answer - everyone knows abortion is nothing like murder).

Edward M wrote: »

In some cases where a woman is pregnant she can still receive cancer treatment when it won't harm the baby e.g.. the lady who is the radio host I can think of her name right now.
    And this is fantastic.

But in other cases, where the cancer treatment is needed for the mother's life, when this treatment will affect the foetus' life the cancer treatment cannot go ahead. And the termination if chosen cannot go ahead in Ireland

This is not good.
    There should be the choice - to made by the mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,581 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

amdublin wrote: »
    In some cases where a woman is pregnant she can still receive cancer treatment when it won't harm the baby e.g.. the lady who is the radio host I can think of her name right now.
    And this is fantastic.

But in other cases, where the cancer treatment is needed for the mother's life, when this treatment will affect the foetus' life the cancer treatment cannot go ahead. And the termination if chosen cannot go ahead in Ireland

It can if the cancer is posing a 'substantial' threat to the woman's life. And 'substantial' is a pretty elastic term...

It can if the cancer is posing a 'substantial' threat to the woman's life. And 'substantial' is a pretty elastic term...

And very hard to define that exact moment. Before it's too late...

The 8th must go

• Registered Users Posts: 16,581 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

amdublin wrote: »
    And very hard to define that exact moment. Before it's too late.

I strongly suspect most medical practitioners treating pregnant women in Ireland basically ignore the 8th amendment and follow international best practice regarding the condition concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Normally I don't have much time for John Oliver but this is spot on ...

I strongly suspect most medical practitioners treating pregnant women in Ireland basically ignore the 8th amendment and follow international best practice regarding the condition concerned.

I don't know... It's against the law as it stands. Because of the 8th amendment.

Either way:
    If they are currently doing it anyway, the 8th must go.
    If they are not doing it, the woman must have the choice, the 8th must go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You would be wrong. Irish maternity hospitals don't really follow the NICE guidelines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

"I remember her worried face,
    “Something's not right”
    “It will be ok, you're just a worrier....”
    I remember the doctors face, reassuring but concerned.
    “I want you to go in to the hospital, just to put your mind at rest”
    I didn't know then, but he knew.
    I remember the nurse doing the scan, I remember her face, she couldn't hide it.
    “I need to get someone in to talk to you.”
    I remember their faces. In that sad little waiting room of lost causes.
    They talked about statistics, about waiting, about everything but the truth, the horrible realisation that was acknowledged by averted eyes.
    I remember the dawning reality that we were completely alone when the doctor told us, in a measured tone, that he couldn't advise us, couldn't talk about our options.
    I remember looking at the calendar. Sixteen weeks.
    I remember everyone had an opinion. Especially me, and I remember the instant I knew, I understood, that no ones opinion mattered, we hadn't the right to ask, to lecture, to impose, to beg, to threaten. There was only one opinion that mattered.
    And that was hers, and hers alone.
    I remember making the arrangements, booking the flight, making the appointment.
    Nineteen weeks. They did a scan.
    A stranger in a strange country finally told us the truth.
    It was something to hold onto, the right decision, but in truth it offered no salve.
    Get it done, and go home and bury our sadness with a foetus that never was, and tell no one.
    We never knew we could bring her home. No one told us.
    They asked if we could donate the unborn child for medical research. A rare case.
    It was easier that way. No one need know.
    I remember her face the next day.
    I carried the bags, hugged her, wiped her tears. It was all I could do. Be strong.
    I remember getting on the plane. Everything will be ok once we get home. Wont it?
    We lied to ourselves because there was no one else to lie to.
    I remember the tears, the panic, the heartache that hurt when the plane took off. I didn't expect that. No one told me.
    No one told me that leaving her over there would hurt the most."

https://www.facebook.com/RepealTheEighth/photos/a.142348133106279.1073741828.142243109783448/158030514871374/?type=3&theater

The 8th affects everyone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement