Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

Worth it to protect my daughter's.

I lived there for 28 years, worked, paid taxes and raised a family so wether you agree or not I'm entitled to return to vote.

We're coming back to vote and there isn't a thing you or anyone can do about it.
    There isn't a thing I can do about it, true.

You are entitled to return, but you are not entitled to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

This is fascinating. They have a Polish Outreach Team and a full time UK employee.

And here they are bossing Irish people not to come home :-/ While paying for someone to encourage their voters to come here

https://irishelectionliterature.com/2018/04/09/family-life-8th-amendment-letter/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Trasna1 wrote: »
    Home to vote for marriage equality was almost entirely for the yes vote, as I witnessed as a resident who was landing in Dublin airport the day before the vote. So let's not distort what actually happened.

Yes, the campaign was 'come home to vote yes'. BUT the issue with having a campaign along these lines is that it also reminds people who want to vote the opposite way that they can probably come home to vote too.

Being in Dublin Airport on the day gives you no insight into how many people came back and voted no.

And this issue is much more divisive than the MarRef. Feelings run much higher on both sides. So the coming home to vote contingent will likely be split fairly evenly. I don't see it being a major determinant in the outcome.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Yes, the campaign was 'come home to vote yes'. BUT the issue with having a campaign along these lines is that it also reminds people who want to vote the opposite way that they can probably come home to vote too.

Being in Dublin Airport on the day gives you no insight into how many people came back and voted no.

And this issue is much more divisive than the MarRef. Feelings run much higher on both sides. So the coming home to vote contingent will likely be split fairly evenly. I don't see it being a major determinant in the outcome.

You have no evidence to back your contention that illegal voting will be evenly split and therefore not matter. But it does matter, any form of fraud is wrong even if the perpetrators of the fraud are on your side.

I can't believe I have to argue the case for people not to commit voter fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,593 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

There isn't a thing I can do about it, true.

You are entitled to return, but you are not entitled to vote.

And yet I will ;)

• Advertisement

You have no evidence to back your contention that illegal voting will be evenly split and therefore not matter.

And you have no evidence that it won't be evenly split. :D You know there was a campaign at the last referendum. But that's it. How did the people who came back into the country for the last referendum vote? Was it 100% yes? Or was it 62% Yes/38% No? I don't know. Do you?

It was pretty obvious that I was speculating in my post. Why would I have evidence?
    I can't believe I have to argue the case for people not to commit voter fraud.

I said earlier that the loophole should be closed. I'm not advocating for a 'Come Home To Vote' campaign. I didn't support if for the MarRef either. But the loophole exists. People will exploit it. That's a reality. There is no sense in fretting about it OR pontificating about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    I was in England a week before the Brexit vote, West Midlands area well away from the London bubble, there were home made Leave banners and placards all over the roadsides. It seemed like very clear majority support for leave

So pretty much the opposite of the big-money professional poster bombing the No crew can evidently afford, wherever they found the money [cough]america [cough]

This new fact based website by Fiona De Londras and Mairead Enright addresses a number of points in this thread raised by many such as Bertie in Exile

https://aboutthe8th.com/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

And you have no evidence that it won't be evenly split. :D You know there was a campaign at the last referendum. But that's it. How did the people who came back into the country for the last referendum vote? Was it 100% yes? Or was it 62% Yes/38% No? I don't know. Do you?

It was pretty obvious that I was speculating in my post. Why would I have evidence?

I said earlier that the loophole should be closed. I'm not advocating for a 'Come Home To Vote' campaign. I didn't support if for the MarRef either. But the loophole exists. People will exploit it. That's a reality. There is no sense in fretting about it OR pontificating about it.
    It doesn't matter what way those that came home to vote illegally voted. The problem is they behaved illegally. That said it was fairly obvious that the home to vote was heavily skewed to yes, and anyone that argues against that was blind to what was going on at the airports in the days before the referendum. It bothered me at that time too even though these people were on my side of the debate.

The problem isn't e what way these people will vote, but that they are voting at all when they are not eligible. In a close contest, which this is likely to be and where the winner is 50%+1 behaviors that call into question the integrity of the vote should be condemned.

If we have people voting illegally and the vote is as close as divorce (9000), with widespread and well publicised voter fraud in addition to a side that won't take defeat lying down, we would be looking at potentially the vote bring declared invalid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

amdublin wrote: »
    I strongly suspect most medical practitioners treating pregnant women in Ireland basically ignore the 8th amendment and follow international best practice regarding the condition concerned.

I don't know... It's against the law as it stands. Because of the 8th amendment.

Either way:
    If they are currently doing it anyway, the 8th must go.
    If they are not doing it, the woman must have the choice, the 8th must go.

Would you say that we need abortion on demand, or just that the 8th must go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The pro-life campaign is screwing up with that "as a doctor, I cannot deny..." ad which keeps popping up online. It's too frequent. I was on one website yesterday reading an article about the Conor McGregor incident last week and they had an ad every few paragraphs, which isn't unusual. But instead of having a bunch of box or banner ads, literally every ad on the page was that god damn video, so in other words I had to hear her say "As a Doctor"... about five times as I scrolled down the article - the videos didn't autoplay until the video was in focus on the page.

This kind of intrusive, over exposure, in-your-face advertising does nothing but annoy people in my experience. The ad itself is insufferable (something about her voice and the whole "I'm an expert, so listen to me" attitude is incredibly grating) but even the best of ads will start to irritate people and cause bad associations with whatever they're advertising if they're so ubiquitous that you're hearing them several times in the space of a few minutes.

They really should have some limit agreed with whatever advertising agency is responsible for spreading the ad online - or use one of the much-maligned cookie tracking systems to ensure that an individual user on the same laptop, in the same browser session, isn't served literally the same autoplaying video ad several times in the space of a few minutes.

That's my view as an armchair/amateur marketing enthusiast anyway. If I was marketing a product of any kind, I sure as f*ck wouldn't do it in a way which was practically certain to piss people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I wanted to come back and vote and almost booked my flight until I checked my voting status and it's not registered.
    Gutted by it.
    On another note, I read today that those that consider themselves Irish citizens within northern Ireland are planning to appeal to our high court that those in northern Ireland should be allowed to vote.
    Now, leaving aside the whole Irish citizenship issue but surely to god allowing another jurisdiction vote in such a referendum would be amazingly stupid?

bear1 wrote: »
    I wanted to come back and vote and almost booked my flight until I checked my voting status and it's not registered.
    Gutted by it.
    On another note, I read today that those that consider themselves Irish citizens within northern Ireland are planning to appeal to our high court that those in northern Ireland should be allowed to vote.
    Now, leaving aside the whole Irish citizenship issue but surely to god allowing another jurisdiction vote in such a referendum would be amazingly stupid?

Yes, it would be. And you’d need to fulfill ordinary residence requirements. Citizenship alone isn’t enough. That’s why people shouldn’t be allowed to jet in just to vote but if they’re still registered it’s too hard to police.

But people who don’t live here and have never been registered and who don’t have enough time to establish ordinary residence by the voter registration closing date? Truly hare-brained stuff.

That’s just mad, isn’t it? All the reporting is just about there not being enough time and some mention of residency requirements. Nothing about it being a different country. I mean, do British citizens living in Ireland long-term or who have never lived in Britain get to vote on British matters?

That’s just mad, isn’t it? All the reporting is just about there not being enough time and some mention of residency requirements. Nothing about it being a different country. I mean, do British citizens living in Ireland long-term or who have never lived in Britain get to vote on British matters?

It's no different really than those that come "home to vote". Those citizens that don't live under the Constitution shouldn't have a say imo, so this should be thrown out.

That said, the Good Friday agreement complicates matters. NI residents qualify for Irish citizenship so they can be considered part of the Irish Nation. How the courts interpret the what is the "Irish Nation" would be key. The argument is ropey enough, but could have some merit. If this got passed it would likely sink the repeal campaign with NI being far more socially conservative than RoI or the rest of the UK.

This is not to mention the political crisis that this would precipitate.

It's no different really than those that come "home to vote".

Yes, I know that. I dealt with that head-on in my post. EDIT: it’s my second to last post to the one you’ve quoted. But I’ve already equated the two things.

Unfortunately people who have lived and voted here and who have then left can get away with it as of now if they are still on the register. What the NI woman who took the case seems to want to do is have it so that citizenship alone is enough. Ordinary residence not required. Seems ludicrous to me but they seem to be taking her seriously.

It’s unlikely to get anywhere. The referendum is only six weeks away.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Not a leg to stand on, the Constitution, which is the ultimate authority on the matter, is quite clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭volchitsa

It would open a whole new can of worms - eg I'm from NI and have always held an Irish passport but no longer live on the island of Ireland at all. But if residence doesn't matter, then shouldn't I also get a vote? In which case how to justify me having multiple rights to vote and other Irish citizens having none?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

This new fact based website by Fiona De Londras and Mairead Enright addresses a number of points in this thread raised by many such as Bertie in Exile

Facts? Don't be preposterous! Bertie and his buddies deal with overthetop nonsensical hysteria only.

I love how all of a sudden antichoice people are all very interested in the rules around voting and voters returning home and also, in the planning act governing the Repeal the 8th mural in Temple Bar. Oh a building funded by the taxpayer is engaging in a political campaign blah blah blah!!
    The referendum will come and go and you won't hear another word from these people about their new found interest in the voter register:pac:

For anyone who missed it http://www.newstalk.com/Together-for-Yes-launch-poster-campaign-for-Eighth-Amendment-referendum
    sometimes a private matter needs public support
    Co-director of Together for Yes, Ailbhe Smyth, says they want to get facts across with their campaign.

"What we're saying is this is private, this is personal, this is not about sloganeering - this is very much about expressing that sense ofwhat's required here.

"That we need good information, good facts and really for people to understand that sense of the privacy and the very personal nature of the decision that is being made here".

Repeal the 8th.

• Advertisement

It's no different really than those that come "home to vote". Those citizens that don't live under the Constitution shouldn't have a say imo, so this should be thrown out.

That said, the Good Friday agreement complicates matters. NI residents qualify for Irish citizenship so they can be considered part of the Irish Nation. How the courts interpret the what is the "Irish Nation" would be key. The argument is ropey enough, but could have some merit. If this got passed it would likely sink the repeal campaign with NI being far more socially conservative than RoI or the rest of the UK.

This is not to mention the political crisis that this would precipitate.

They are free to vote in our elections but they are not resident within the state, hence why I can't vote and I've spent most of life living in Galway.
    I see no reason for a referendum such as this to be tossed around into a jurisdiction which belongs to the UK.
    It would be like Ireland having the right to vote on Brexit.
    Referendum should and just be contained to those citizens which spend the majority of their time in the south.
    I don't seem to recall much noise from the north when we had the Lisbon referendum or the gay marriage referendum.
    I'd be terrified that including those in the north would lead to the pro life campaign winning.

The Government’s proposal is that abortion will be available up to viability of the foetus where two doctors certify that there is a risk to the life of the pregnant woman. If all pregnancies can be deemed to be risking the life of the woman, this suggests that there would be practically no restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

thee glitz wrote: »
    Would you say that we need abortion on demand, or just that the 8th must go?

This is what will happen if the 8th is repealed:
    https://aboutthe8th.com/2018/04/04/will-a-yes-vote-lead-to-abortion-up-to-birth/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Irish citizens should not return to vote

People who are not legally eligible to vote should not vote. I can certainly agree with you on that much. If a result got over turned because of voter fraud then that would be blood on the hands of anyone who committed that fraud.

Anyone who is eligible should absolutely return to vote however, so you have simply phrased this badly here. The mediation point should be their eligibility, not their physical location. Irish citizens can and should of course return to vote.
    furthermore the issue doesn't concern them.

I would say the constitution of the country where they were born, which they may hope to return some day, from where they hold a passport, and to the embassy of which they go to in a crisis, could be said to concern them. And it concerns me to help build the kind of Ireland I would want my children to be able to return to some day.

Maybe it would not concern YOU in that context. But you are not a template for others.

I live in Germany and have done for 10 years so I am not eligible to vote myself. But it would be a mistake to say the election and the result of it does not concern me.

One example of this is the Marriage Referendum Ireland recently had. I was highly involved in this. Including in a project to bus home many eligible Irish voters in the UK. We raised money, put on buses, gave tickets to the buses to said voters at a discounted price (sometimes free depending on their circumstances), and included in the price of the ticket was........ before the buses set off........ a relatively long live debate on the Referendum with speakers invited by both sides to represent them.

The result of that debate, comparing a precount to a postcount, was that most of the undecided were swayed to vote yes and some of the no voters too. I would say in no uncertain terms that the yes side destroyed them in the debate.

There were also a minimum of 5 yes voters who were eligible to vote but not in a financial position to. I personally ensured they got home. So while I could not vote yes myself, there are 5 yes votes in that referendum that would not have been there but for me.

And you think I should not have had any of that influence or concerned myself with it? Not at all. I will always concern myself with it, and no one is going to be stopping me any time soon.
    They should campaign for or against abortion in the countries they are resident in.

The two are not mutually exclusive. I campaign for issues here AND in Ireland. And sometimes in countries I have not even visited. I have for example done some work for the FFRF in the US. I have never set foot on US soil and probably never will. We are a global culture now and the idea I should only concern myself with my own locality is an archaic and nonsense philosophy.

amdublin wrote: »

Any word on if spurious mental health claims would be covered by these limited grounds?

Any word on if spurious mental health claims would be covered by these limited grounds?

Yes

https://aboutthe8th.com/2018/04/09/will-abortion-be-available-on-mental-health-grounds-post-repeal/

Terry Pratchet

One example of this is the Marriage Referendum Ireland recently had. I was highly involved in this. Including in a project to bus home many eligible Irish voters in the UK.

How did you determine if they were eligible to vote?

You could have saved some money and hassle by polling the net voting intention and just sending that many people back. Maybe you did?

I do think it is fascinating that you have people hopping up and down about pro choice people coming home to vote but not the fact that Family and Life has a full time employee in the UK organising people in the UK to come home to vote. Slight double standards.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

How did you determine if they were eligible to vote?

I would prefer to say so as not to undermine the same cautionary moves in the future by revealing them. Suffice to say it was by no means 100% and a significant quantity of it was taking their word for it. But the measures we did do were random enough and interesting enough that I feel confident the majority were eligible.
    You could have saved some money and hassle by polling the net voting intention and just sending that many people back. Maybe you did?

I believe in maximizing the number of voters. I believe democracy works better that way. So I would have no interest in your proposed approach. Further since we included a fair representation debate in the price of the ticket, the results of a debate are more honest the more minds the debate is performed to.

Not that the debate finished the moment we stepped down from the podium. A robust and energetic and respectful debate continued on the trip. I would be naive to assume that did not influence some votes en route too.

I believe in, almost to the point of religious worship, the power of human discourse. The most amount of discourse among the most amount of people will generally be the ideal you will find me striving towards.

I am not sure how you are doing your workings however on the maths of merely sending back a proportion of voters. For example if I had in the buses 300 yes voters and 100 no voters, mathematically what representation would you have me send back to Ireland to save time and expense? Not 3 and 1 I hope? Or do you mean I should have just sent back 200 yes voters and left the rest behind?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

The Government’s proposal is that abortion will be available up to viability of the foetus where two doctors certify that there is a risk to the life of the pregnant woman. If all pregnancies can be deemed to be risking the life of the woman, this suggests that there would be practically no restrictions.

If a woman believes her pregnancy is a risk to her life, and two appropriately qualified doctors agree and say an abortion will mitigate or eliminate that risk, then I am happy to trust that woman and her doctors.

Spurious claims? No. Mental illness that presents a serious risk to a pregnant woman's health, as certified by two qualified doctors? Yes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement