Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Just donated. The lies and dishonesty I'm seeing here pushed me over the line. Thanks to all the informative posters here.

I'll be voting to repeal. It's the humane thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

These people donating money for those unsightly referendum posters are deluded. Surely there are other more worthwhile causes to donate your money to (donate to the Irish Cancer Society, ISPCA, etc.), but no, people love to latch on to a timely fad. Does donating your money for these posters mean anything? No. It's just a way for the loony lefties to feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Personally, I already donate money on a regular monthly basis to several charities that are close to my heart and which have had a personal impact on my life and on my family. So I don’t take kindly to anyone questioning my charitable motivations.

As a woman, this campaign’s result will affect any pregnancies that I have. I think that’s a good enouch reason to support this cause. So go away with you what-aboutery. It’s a red herring.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

These people donating money for those unsightly referendum posters are deluded. Surely there are other more worthwhile causes to donate your money to (donate to the Irish Cancer Society, ISPCA, etc.)

Firstly for some people the two are not mutually exclusive. Donating to one thing does not mean you are not also donating to another. Perhaps YOU only care about one thing at a time. Many of us have rather diverse and large attention spans however.

Secondly how are you measuring relative merit exactly? We are talking about a referendum that could influence the choices, freedoms, well being, and rights of approximately half our citizens.

Thirdly what is your issue with posters? The you tube channel "Crash Course" recently started a course on media literacy for the lay man that might benefit you. Much as we might like to pretend otherwise, media and advertising WORKS.

Fourth, what is "deluded" exactly about merely having different priorities than you? Because that is, essentially, all you are whinging about. People do not share YOUR priorities and the sole explanation for this you can possibly come up with is to assume some level of mental deficiency or error on their part? A whole dose of getting over yourself would likely be required if that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

These people donating money for those unsightly referendum posters are deluded. Surely there are other more worthwhile causes to donate your money to (donate to the Irish Cancer Society, ISPCA, etc.), but no, people love to latch on to a timely fad. Does donating your money for these posters mean anything? No. It's just a way for the loony lefties to feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

The people who need abortions ARE cancer patients and abused children and women.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

No wonder Marie Stopes phone women at home who have decided not to have an abortion, and offer them a new appointment.
    Ah the Daily Mail.
    One of the finer scientific publications.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Do the Yes posters even mention abortion?

Just donated. The lies and dishonesty I'm seeing here pushed me over the line. Thanks to all the informative posters here.

I'll be voting to repeal. It's the humane thing to do.

Killing human life is humane...or the unborn are killed humanely?

erica74 wrote: »
    Ah I'm annoyed, I didn't even think about donating in someone else's name, I just used my own name! Anyway, €50 donated, I was afraid I wouldn't make it in before they surpassed their next target, I think they're at nearly €190,000 already and, as someone else said, there will be a bit influx as people head home for the evening.

Keep reposting the link

https://togetherforyes.causevox.com/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=cf1

It is very open to abuse as one just has to click they are in Ireland, so illegal foreign donations can be accepted.
    When one goes to the address section, the default setting is United States. Very open way to get donations that are fraudulent.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Killing human life is humane...or the unborn are killed humanely?

Are woman just incubators to you?.

Are woman just incubators to you?.

For many women they don't see themselves an an incubator when they have a separate life in their womb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Wow the Together for Yes crowd fund is up at €215k

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Taken from the Pro Life Longford page:
    ONT BE FOOLED Do you honestly think it is going to stop at the eighth amendment.
    No. It is only the beginning.
    Next stop. The second Amendment.
    Then the 5th Amendment......
    Until there s nothing left...
    So get up
    Rise up.
    Nd defend your Constitution.
    It belongs to you.
    If nd when your Constitution is gone nd you hav no Rights left
    Well. We are right bak where we started.
    With nothing. ZILCH.
    The Eight Amendment is only the bsttle
    The War is for our Constitution.

I think the Americans running the page have their Constitutions mixed up...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭garbo speaks

No, because they can't dare allude to what happens in the reality of an abortion as a helpless foetus is ripped out via forceps. The yes posters would rather be all clean and happy, like some sort of green party promotional material.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭swampgas

No, because they can't dare allude to what happens in the reality of an abortion as a helpless foetus is ripped out via forceps. The yes posters would rather be all clean and happy, like some sort of green party promotional material.

garbo speaks garbage.

For many women they don't see themselves an an incubator when they have a separate life in their womb.

No I asked you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

That's not what happens during an abortion even one at 16 weeks.

They don't need to. The slogan is

Sometimes a private matter needs public support.

No I asked you.

Aren't we suppose to trust women?
    I know lots of women who don't view themselves or other women as incubators when pregnant.

January wrote: »
    They don't need to. The slogan is

Sometimes a private matter needs public support.

Totally avoiding the issue at hand.

On the contrary, they're targeting the issue at hand without all the emotional fluff around it.

• Advertisement

No they're not. They're just not using emotive wordings or images in their campaign. Or lies. Unlike the no side....

On the contrary, they're targeting the issue at hand without all the emotional fluff around it.

So avoid that an unborn life is killed as it is emotive and might make people think twice, with fluff about killing the unborn is a private matter that needs public support.

Aren't we suppose to trust women?
    I know lots of women who don't view themselves or other women as incubators when pregnant.

How do you view them?

Considering your voting no. Your happy to force a raped woman carry to term?.

So avoid that an unborn life is killed as it is emotive and might make people think twice, with fluff about killing the unborn is a private matter that needs public support.

We are voting on repealing the 8th. The "killing the unborn" is emotive fluff.

January wrote: »
    No they're not. They're just not using emotive wordings or images in their campaign. Or lies. Unlike the no side....

It is lies about by the Yes campaign to make out that people who could be born but instead had their lives snuffed out is a private matter, all these lives add up and do have a public impact over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

It is lies about by the Yes campaign to make out that people who are could be born but instead had their lives snuffed out is a private matter, all these lives add up and do have a public impact over time.

Abortion is happening anyway. Thousands of women go to England, and unknown amount order the pill online, and an unknown (though thankfully less than before) self induce an abortion through dangerous means. Thinking otherwise is just burying your head in the sand.

We are voting on repealing the 8th. The "killing the unborn" is emotive fluff.

False, what the yes side wants is to avoid talking about the unborn, it is like the elephant in the room when they talk about the issue, everything bar what abortion actually does.

It is lies about by the Yes campaign to make out that people who could be born but instead had their lives snuffed out is a private matter, all these lives add up and do have a public impact over time.

Again with the emotive language. An abortion is a private matter between a woman and her doctor. It doesn't snuff out life it stops a foetus from developing in the womb.

Stop with the hysterics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

And once again here is a case of you ignoring everything I said and asked you and simply repeating your rhetoric unedited in any way. What a fetus LOOKS like should have zero impact on the debate. There is nothing about the SHAPE of something that should mediate our moral and ethical concerns. For example if our technology reaches the point where I could install your sentience onto the physical equivalent of a toaster, that fact you look nothing like a human at all would not in the least bit detract from the mass of moral and ethical concern I should have towards your well being.

Discourse is the way to establish what a persons views are. However you did not deign to reply to my last post to you, choosing instead to entirely ignore it. So forgive me if my sympathy for your difficulty is zero. Were I seeing you making the attempt in good faith I would feel sympathy, but the opposite seems to be the case. Especially given your shift from talking WITH me to talking ABOUT me in ways that do not represent me accurately.

However I am genuinely baffled what part of my views is causing you the difficulty. It really is quite simple. I believe rights, and moral and ethical concerns, are in the business of mediating the actions of, and well being of, sentient entities. The fetus is not a sentience entity and never has been. Therefore I have no moral and ethical concerns for it.

If you could zero in on what aspect of that actually causes your difficulties I can certainly elaborate on it.

I certainly do not see what is "extreme" either. We have had a few users of boards.ie claiming that fetus/child has no rights until birth and can happily be killed at ANY point for ANY reason on that continuum.

THAT is extreme but I have little reason to doubt their sincerity. With one exception; a user who touted that nonsense in an attempt to make the pro choice side look bad for years, but as soon as the referendum was announced he instantly shifted his position to the complete opposite extreme and is now claiming no fetus should be aborted ever for ANY non medical reason. Quite the shift and quite the timely one too. Suspect I think.

My positions in comparison to those extremes are very moderate and central on the continuum. And my positions do not appear to differ from many pro choice speakers here AT ALL. I am just much more expressive about the reasoning I have behind them. My conclusions are pretty average however. What part of arguing for abortion by choice in society up to an ideal of 16 weeks are you seeing as "extreme" here exactly? Is that not what pretty much ever other pro choice speaker here is calling for on this site? OR here? :confused::confused::confused:

Errrrr no it is not "exactly" what we are being asked to vote on at all. By a long shot. It is of course unclear whether you are lying here, or merely ignorant of what the vote actually is, but it would behoove you and your credibility on the site to change it either way. Especially as all three citations you have offered to back up your scare mongering and paranoia are.... well.... to posts made by yourself.

If you have evidence that the government intend to implement something 100% longer than the recommendations of the Citizens Assembly, or that Clinics will A) appear and B) flout the law.... I am all ears. But assertion of this scare mongering is not going to get me there.

However even if your fantastical and unsubstantiated fantasy were to come to pass..... the reality is that in countries with no abortion at all..... in countries with limits like the UK..... and in countries with VERY flexible (if any) limits like Canada....... when we seek figures on women who have sought abortions we find that consistently 96 to 98% of them seek abortion in or before week 16. Over 92% in fact in or before week 12. So not only do your paranoid concerns appear invalid and unsubstantiated, that are also irrelevant and not really all that concerning.

But it is certainly telling, revealing even, that you can not establish a single argument against what me and others are ACTUALLY campaigning for, so you have to go to extremes we have not espoused to attack that instead. All with nothing but YOUR personal assurances such extremes will come to pass.

But I can make you an open promise. If Repeal happens (of which I have more than small doubts will occur), and if clinics or other outlets start performing abortions past the stage that law says they should be, then contact me. You will find an ally in me on the front lines of campaigning to have their head on a plate in terms of full justice and law.

I find it superfluous to requirements and given the non-linear increase in complications and issues around later term abortions not all that useful either. I think campaigning for, and enforcing, abortion options at 12 or 16 weeks is more than enough and I see no good reason for giving it solely as an option at 24 weeks. Of course including here the same caveat as before regarding the difference between choosing to have an abortion, and requiring one for medical or other reasons.

I am committed to the well being of sentient entities. No more. No less. The pregnant women is one. The 12/16/20 week fetus inside her is not one. At all. And never has been.

That is indeed one of the pre-requisites of consciousness and sentience. And a fetus at, say, 16 weeks pretty much lacks the relevant activity ENTIRELY. An analogy I often use is to radio waves. Imagine in the analogy that Sentience=Radio waves. At 16 weeks the fact is NOT ONLY that there are no radio waves..... but the radio TOWER itself has not even been built yet. So often with abortion we are not JUST talking about places where certain brain activity is absent, but much of the pre-requisites for producing them (the radio tower) is too.

Then they are more than welcome to discuss it with me if they exist, and have any interest in doing so. Your mere invention of them to suit yourself however is as uninteresting as it is suspect and unimpressive. Which is to say: Very. But it is certainly interesting that of all the pro choice posters you speak of, not a single one feels moved to confront me. If this is not at least SOME evidence such people only exist in your fantasy la la land, I am not sure what is.

Wrong about what? I am consistent in my views even if no one else is. I am campaigning for choice based abortion up to 16 weeks. You are asking me about an entity at 22 weeks. It is outside the purview of my position therefore. However if a mother in the UK decided, after it's removal from her womb not to put it on life support and to let it die..... like we do with adult patients when we turn their life support off for example...... then I would not be losing any sleep over it. But it is not what I am campaigning for, or interested in seeing, implemented here in Ireland.

Let me try to sum up the basis of what we are disagreeing on, nozzferrahhtoo.

You are insisting that if anyone wants to engage with you on whether a life in the womb is a human being - and therefore deserving rights and protections - they must do so on the basis of a reductivist biologically measurable definition of personhood. They might have a different biological definition than you but that is the only kind of disagreement you will allow as valid.

I don't accept your restriction of the discussion to those grounds.
    Not because you are ending the whole mind body debate before it even starts.
    But because that is not how most people think.
    Most of us don't see other people as people based on something about them we measure biologically.
    You seem to accept that is the reality of how the rest of us are but you also think we are all mistaken.
    And it is consistently amazing to me how many people simply do not know. They think what they think because they think it. No other reason than that. And the only thing more baffling than that reality, is the fact that this does not seem to bother them at all. That their most cherished opinions has no basis in argument, evidence, data or reasoning and their only defence of it is to become emotional or hostile.

I think we can therefore agree on one thing. You are out on a limb with this. And that fact is really lit up in neon when you say
    You are asking me about an entity at 22 weeks. It is outside the purview of my position therefore. However if a mother in the UK decided, after it's removal from her womb not to put it on life support and to let it die..... like we do with adult patients when we turn their life support off for example...... then I would not be losing any sleep over it.
    If you want a rational argument I'd offer one based on reductio ad absurdum.
    I think I speak for most of us when I say that what you just described above is so untenable that it means either your reasoning is faulty or, more likely, at least one of your premises is also untenable.
    And I would offer that the untenable premise is that personhood has a biologically measurable definition.
    (And for those playing at home and feeling that maybe a different definition might work; if you abandon 'personhood begins with regular brain waves/sentience' then all the other definitions -Gastrulation, Early Organ formation, Quickening, Thalamus formation -put the definition of personhood earlier. Voting yes would be voting to take the lives of tens of thousands of these human beings.)

Finally the quote from nozzferrahhtoo above, about a woman ending the life of a 22 week premature baby in an incubator, was the last thing in his post. It wasn't hidden, it was the culmination of his argument.
    And right underneath
    Call me Al, crustybla, DubInMeath, Fizzlesque, frag420, January, PopePalpatine, Simi, swampgas and Yeah_Right
    all thanked him for it.
    I don't want to stick anyone with views that aren't theirs but unless each of them somehow make it clear that this is not actually their view the obvious thing is to assume it is.

Still you've got to admire nozzferrahhtoo's willingness to stick with this all the way
    The harpoon was darted; the stricken whale flew forward; with igniting velocity the line ran through the grooves;- ran foul. Ahab stooped to clear it; he did clear it; but the flying turn caught him round the neck, and voicelessly as Turkish mutes bowstring their victim, he was shot out of the boat, ere the crew knew he was gone. Next instant, the heavy eye-splice in the rope's final end flew out of the stark-empty tub, knocked down an oarsman, and smiting the sea, disappeared in its depths.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement