Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

RobertKK wrote: »
    That became legal as the main issue was about stopping women from traveling, as freedom of movement would be restricted otherwise.

It had nothing to do with freedom of movement. The EU treaties give us an exemption when it comes to abortion. Try again (and maybe read the X Case judgement first).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Flips sake.
    The Crowd fund is at €244k!!!!

Anyone want to push it closer to that €250k??
    https://togetherforyes.causevox.com/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=cf1

I reckon if we hit 250k tonight we will hit €500k by the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Another 5 posters paid for.
    Total nearly at €250 k.

http://crowdfund.togetherforyes.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

amdublin wrote: »
    Flips sake.
    The Crowd fund is at €244k!!!!

Anyone want to push it closer to that €250k??
    https://togetherforyes.causevox.com/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=cf1

I reckon if we hit 250k tonight we will hit €500k by the weekend!

Now at €249K!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Zerbini Blewitt

An encouraging straw in the wind.

On Claire Byrne (RTE1)
    An Amarach Research/RTE CBL poll of voting intentions of 1,000 people on its smartphone panel yesterday

Repeal 55%
    Retain 19%
    Don’t know 26%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

NuMarvel wrote: »
    Now at €249K!

Well you posted 14 minutes ago. So it's obviously gone up again!!!!!

€255k!!!

Goal has been upped to €400k to get 40,000 Yes posters out there. Crowd funded. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

No, because they can't dare allude to what happens in the reality of an abortion as a helpless foetus is ripped out via forceps.

Which reality are you referring to? Because in the ACTUAL reality the rest of us live in over 90% of abortions happen in or before week 12 of gestation and can be achieved with nothing more than taking two pills.

Have you ever wondered why you anti choice speakers never want to refer to the ACTUAL reality of the vast majority of ACTUAL abortions? Not enough medical tools in it for you to fetishize?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Let me try to sum up the basis of what we are disagreeing on, nozzferrahhtoo. You are insisting that if anyone wants to engage with you on whether a life in the womb is a human being - and therefore deserving rights and protections - they must do so on the basis of a reductivist biologically measurable definition of personhood.

Amazing how you keep wanting to summarize my position rather than give your own, and when you do so you insist on doing so in a way that never actually captures what my position even is.

I have insisted on no such thing. What I DO insist on is that anyone who wants to afford rights and moral concerns to an entity have a coherent basis for doing so that they can articulate. MINE is a definition of personhood that recognizes that sentience is an inextricable element. But I have no way insisted that be anyone elses position. You have shoved that in my mouth for me.

If you see another basis for affording an entity rights, I am all ears. But alas no one on this thread has done so other than to scream taxonomy terms at it in a way that only begs the question.

So it is a bit rich to moan about "other definitions" when no one appears to have actually yet offered any.
    But because that is not how most people think.

I do not believe you are in a position to declare what "most people think". Have you conducted a study? Have you asked "most people"? I doubt it. I think you just enjoy, on numerous occasions, imagining what "many" or "most" people think in a way that wholly suits you. This is far from the first time I have had to call you on that move.

However I suspect if you bothered to conduct an actual study you will find "most people" actually do think that way. Or even if they do not explicitly, they still ACT on it. For example if you ask 1000 people which they would rescue from a burning building if they could only rescue one..... and then offered them several combinations like frog/cat dog/monkey mouse/dolphin or any other combination you like..... and you plotted the results on a graph you will find the choices people make scale 1:1 EXACTLY in relation to the choices capacity for sentience. In fact in many cases their interest in that sentience is such that will often save ONE instance of it (lets say a chimpanze) over MULTIPLE instances of another (say 50 dogs) showing their investment in the capacity for sentience as a whole is such they value ONE instance of a higher form of it more than many lower forms of it.
    Most of us don't see other people as people based on something about them we measure biologically.

This sentence is not grammatically coherent so forgive me if I respond to something you are not actually saying. But if I read it right you are making my point for me. Most of us do not see other people as people based on biological factors, but on sentience factors. I 100% agree. That is basically, in a nutshell, what I have said all along. So much so that I can only assume you have simply grammar farted and mistyped what you meant to say.

I reckon if I put your body on a perfect life support system, and transferred your sentience into a machine that looked like a toaster, and I brought the person who loves you most in the whole world into the room and told them they could take the supported body OR the toaster home to keep forever..... I think we both know which one they would pick AND why they would pick it. They would take YOU home, your sentience, and they would have absolutely no issue with the lack of an underlying biology. Showing that nothing biological, let alone anything in the you tube video you post over and over, is all that relevant at all.
    I think we can therefore agree on one thing. You are out on a limb with this.

First I was "extreme" now "out on a limb". You do like these little phrases but aside from asserting them have failed to make a single one stick at all. I campaign for abortion up to and including week 16. That is right down the middle of the line moderate and average for pretty much every pro choice speaker I have heard or read. So unable are you to rebut the positions I hold, that the sole response open to you seems to be to mischaracterize it with little phrases like this, or by inventing "most people" and declaring to know what they think. Neither of which is impressive or supporting any level of credibility for you in general.
    I think I speak for most of us

And there you go again. You speak for YOU. All the other people you claim to speak for, or to know what they think, you appear to have simply invented to argument ad populum your own positions to...... well to yourself I guess because no one else appears to have bought into it yet.
    when I say that what you just described above is so untenable that it means either your reasoning is faulty or, more likely, at least one of your premises is also untenable.

Perhaps they are! But merely asserting or suggesting they are is not going to reveal that. Nor is imagining some "most people" agreeing with you that they are. To have a rational discourse on this subject you would have to engage in actually showing where and how they are. You appear unwilling and/or unable to do this. And that this is not telling or revealing to you on ANY level shows a lack of introspection I can only urge you to confront.
    And I would offer that the untenable premise is that personhood has a biologically measurable definition.

Interestingly however my position is not based on a fixed or full definition of personhood. Rather I identify ATTRIBUTES that are pre-requisites of it and notice they are absent in a 16 week old fetus. That means a full definition of personhood is not required. A full definition of something is not required if you know some of it's attributes, and those attributes are not present. If someone says "I can not define X fully but I know Y is one of it's attributes" I can then say "Well this thing here does not have Y at all, so whatever this thing is, it is not X".
    (And for those playing at home and feeling that maybe a different definition might work; if you abandon 'personhood begins with regular brain waves/sentience' then all the other definitions -Gastrulation, Early Organ formation, Quickening, Thalamus formation -put the definition of personhood earlier.

The difference is I have offered a wealth of reasoning and arguments as to why sentience is a required aspect/attribute of personhood. You have merely LISTED words like "organ" "thalamus" and left them hanging. You are skipping the important step. Simply asserting a list of words at us still leaves all the work ahead of you to make a link. And as I noted before generally the things you list happen in other mammals too but you are not assigning them "personhood" so you have done a double-fail in that A) You have not linked the listed things to personhood at all and B) you have not explained why other entities with those things do not get personhood. This goes BEYOND the "begging of the question" as a fallacy really.
    all thanked him for it.

Yet is it not funny, and telling, that you continue to A) not actually rebut my arguments just moan about me having made them and B) claim that the majority of my "followers" as you put it do not agree with me despite my posts being thanked and yours not. This just tells me one thing.... you would be better rebutting my points directly, rather than moaning about them or fantasising what you WANT to believe others think about them. As neither of those approaches appears to be getting you.... well.... anywhere.
    Still you've got to admire nozzferrahhtoo's willingness to stick with this all the way

I am genuinely curious about your approach to this conversation. You really do appear to be contriving to demonstrate that you are engaging in it in the worst possible faith. Ignoring one whole post. Then moving from talking with me to talking ABOUT me. And now in a post directly to me you have shifted to talking about me in the third person. I can guess at a few psychological motivations for these moves, but I would not want to assume things as readily as you appear to enjoy doing. So I can but ask.... what is your motivation, goal and intention with these otherwise entirely insipid and crass behaviours?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,021 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

These people donating money for those unsightly referendum posters are deluded. Surely there are other more worthwhile causes to donate your money to (donate to the Irish Cancer Society, ISPCA, etc.), but no, people love to latch on to a timely fad. Does donating your money for these posters mean anything? No. It's just a way for the loony lefties to feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Looney Lefty!! Bull****. I'll have you know that most of my political views would be firmly right wing. I just don't believe it's my business to tell a woman (or anyone) what medical procedures they can or can't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,597 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

RobertKK wrote: »
    and introduce restriction free abortion to 12 weeks, and much longer for certain other areas.

I'm ok with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Madscientist30

amdublin wrote: »
    Now at €249K!

Well you posted 14 minutes ago. So it's obviously gone up again!!!!!

€255k!!!

Goal has been upped to €400k to get 40,000 Yes posters out there. Crowd funded. Amazing.
    272k now!! Truly amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

My "non-political" (as he refers to himself) husband just donated,

I'll be travelling for work for the next week or two so might not get a chance to drop in on the thread, but in a weeks time unless something dramatic changes can I assume we'll still have:

1. Certain posters repeatedly claiming we're voting for unrestricted abortion on demand up to 24 weeks, even though they link to articles showing this isn't the case?

2. Certain posters claiming doctors are only to happy to risk losing their medical licence and potentially being sued by the PLC by forging medical records to allow women have abortions on demand in Ireland?

3. Certain posters taking time off from foaming at the mouth about feminists etc on other threads to complain about people donating for repeal, while ignoring dodgy donations to youth defence et all?

4. Certain posters stating 'facts' without evidence and ignoring questions?

Check ye all out soon and take care

• Registered Users Posts: 16,238 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Looney Lefty!! Bull****. I'll have you know that most of my political views would be firmly right wing.

So's your user name :)

Nearly forgot donation done earlier from wife and I

Small but hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I will make a 5 euro donation to the Together for Yes campaign the next time someone says that Abortion on demand will be the result of repealing the 8th

I will make a 5 euro donation to the Together for Yes campaign the next time someone says that Abortion on demand will be the result of repealing the 8th

It will so.

Don't belive it for a minute but hope you still donate :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

And where it was from the founding of the state up to 35 years ago. And the only reason it moved is because anti-contraception activists were afraid the courts would find that there was a right to abortion in the constitution.

Turned out they were right, but it was only because of the 8th; the very amendment that was supposed to prevent that!
    Not strictly true. What the proponents at the time believed was that change was coming soon and without a prohibition that would not be easily overturned, a liberal government elected on primarily economic issues would force through changes on abortion. The argument for the 8th at the time was that they were afraid of an activist supreme Court, but that was always a bit of a stretch of the imagination.

Given the way the 90's developed politically, it probably was a fair assumption to make wrt access to abortion - one could argue that if it's hands weren't tied the rainbow government would have introduced a limited abortion regime as a first step to opening up availability. Such a policy would have fitted in with that governments over all aims generally.

The 8th therefore generally can be seen as a success by it's supporters - having being the main obstacle to change for the last 20 years when real liberalisation has happened

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

So the way constitutional rights go currently

A. A woman’s right to defend their health while pregnant is at the bottom of the pile, which is trumped by,

B. A foetus’ right to gestate, which is then trumped by

C. A woman’s right to leave the country to have a termination.

So as it stands the constitution says that my strongest right - impossible to be trumped by the conflicting rights of the foetus - is to step on a plane for the purposes of having a termination. But my weakest right, trumped in every case by the foetus’ rights, is the right to vindicate my good health.

Perfectly logical.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,597 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

£250 donated, let's keep this going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

On Claire Byrne (RTE1)
    An Amarach Research/RTE CBL poll of voting intentions of 1,000 people on its smartphone panel yesterday

Repeal 55%
    Retain 19%
    Don’t know 26%

That's very interesting.
    Here's a Claire Byrne /Amarach Research poll from 7th May 2015, two weeks before the Same Sex Marriage referendum
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0507/699465-marriage-referendum/

Yes 78%
    No 16%
    Undecided 6%

And the actual result on 22nd May
    Yes 62%
    No 38%

Don't worry. I'm sure you've got really good posters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

up to 12 weeks, yes. Assuming the proposed legislation passes, repealing the 8th will result in abortion on demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

DubInMeath wrote: »
    I'll be travelling for work for the next week or two so might not get a chance to drop in on the thread, but in a weeks time unless something dramatic changes can I assume we'll still have:

1. Certain posters repeatedly claiming we're voting for unrestricted abortion on demand up to 24 weeks, even though they link to articles showing this isn't the case?

2. Certain posters claiming doctors are only to happy to risk losing their medical licence and potentially being sued by the PLC by forging medical records to allow women have abortions on demand in Ireland?

3. Certain posters taking time off from foaming at the mouth about feminists etc on other threads to complain about people donating for repeal, while ignoring dodgy donations to youth defence et all?

4. Certain posters stating 'facts' without evidence and ignoring questions?

Check ye all out soon and take care

I'm guessing 1 and 2 are directed at me.

While you're away could you find the link I posted that undermines the idea that there would be abortion on demand/request up to 24 weeks.
    It's something I posted right?

And also if there's time could you think about the steps involved in a doctor being struck off for signing a certificate saying s/he believed there was a threat of serious harm to someone's mental health. (Someone who was a willing participant in the enterprise.)

Have a good trip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

That's very interesting.
    Here's a Claire Byrne /Amarach Research poll from 7th May 2015, two weeks before the Same Sex Marriage referendum
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0507/699465-marriage-referendum/

Yes 78%
    No 16%
    Undecided 6%

And the actual result on 22nd May
    Yes 62%
    No 38%

Don't worry. I'm sure you've got really good posters.

Ooh, zing. Dorothy Parker, look out, there’s a new wit for the ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

On Claire Byrne (RTE1)

Repeal 55%
    Retain 19%
    Don’t know 26%

I don't know how much a one off poll like that tells us about sentiment in the voting public. A smartphone panel is going to exclude a significant portion of the generally conservative older voting cohort and over represent a younger non-voting cohort. You then get into performing adjustments to making it representative because it inputs data is flawed.

A few more polls which show the trend will be more telling, than absolute percentages. On the face of it though it looks encouraging for repeal.

Just on the campaign literature and posters, I have to say the contrast between the posters of the different sides is interesting: Yes/repeal are text graphics while no/retain are image/picture heavy. I'm surprised repeal couldn't come up with a positive image/picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

Amazing how you keep wanting to summarize my position rather than give your own, and when you do so you insist on doing so in a way that never actually captures what my position even is.

I have insisted on no such thing. What I DO insist on is that anyone who wants to afford rights and moral concerns to an entity have a coherent basis for doing so that they can articulate. MINE is a definition of personhood that recognizes that sentience is an inextricable element. But I have no way insisted that be anyone elses position. You have shoved that in my mouth for me.

If you see another basis for affording an entity rights, I am all ears. But alas no one on this thread has done so other than to scream taxonomy terms at it in a way that only begs the question.

So it is a bit rich to moan about "other definitions" when no one appears to have actually yet offered any.

I do not believe you are in a position to declare what "most people think". Have you conducted a study? Have you asked "most people"? I doubt it. I think you just enjoy, on numerous occasions, imagining what "many" or "most" people think in a way that wholly suits you. This is far from the first time I have had to call you on that move.

However I suspect if you bothered to conduct an actual study you will find "most people" actually do think that way. Or even if they do not explicitly, they still ACT on it. For example if you ask 1000 people which they would rescue from a burning building if they could only rescue one..... and then offered them several combinations like frog/cat dog/monkey mouse/dolphin or any other combination you like..... and you plotted the results on a graph you will find the choices people make scale 1:1 EXACTLY in relation to the choices capacity for sentience. In fact in many cases their interest in that sentience is such that will often save ONE instance of it (lets say a chimpanze) over MULTIPLE instances of another (say 50 dogs) showing their investment in the capacity for sentience as a whole is such they value ONE instance of a higher form of it more than many lower forms of it.

This sentence is not grammatically coherent so forgive me if I respond to something you are not actually saying. But if I read it right you are making my point for me. Most of us do not see other people as people based on biological factors, but on sentience factors. I 100% agree. That is basically, in a nutshell, what I have said all along. So much so that I can only assume you have simply grammar farted and mistyped what you meant to say.

I reckon if I put your body on a perfect life support system, and transferred your sentience into a machine that looked like a toaster, and I brought the person who loves you most in the whole world into the room and told them they could take the supported body OR the toaster home to keep forever..... I think we both know which one they would pick AND why they would pick it. They would take YOU home, your sentience, and they would have absolutely no issue with the lack of an underlying biology. Showing that nothing biological, let alone anything in the you tube video you post over and over, is all that relevant at all.

First I was "extreme" now "out on a limb". You do like these little phrases but aside from asserting them have failed to make a single one stick at all. I campaign for abortion up to and including week 16. That is right down the middle of the line moderate and average for pretty much every pro choice speaker I have heard or read. So unable are you to rebut the positions I hold, that the sole response open to you seems to be to mischaracterize it with little phrases like this, or by inventing "most people" and declaring to know what they think. Neither of which is impressive or supporting any level of credibility for you in general.

And there you go again. You speak for YOU. All the other people you claim to speak for, or to know what they think, you appear to have simply invented to argument ad populum your own positions to...... well to yourself I guess because no one else appears to have bought into it yet.

Perhaps they are! But merely asserting or suggesting they are is not going to reveal that. Nor is imagining some "most people" agreeing with you that they are. To have a rational discourse on this subject you would have to engage in actually showing where and how they are. You appear unwilling and/or unable to do this. And that this is not telling or revealing to you on ANY level shows a lack of introspection I can only urge you to confront.

Interestingly however my position is not based on a fixed or full definition of personhood. Rather I identify ATTRIBUTES that are pre-requisites of it and notice they are absent in a 16 week old fetus. That means a full definition of personhood is not required. A full definition of something is not required if you know some of it's attributes, and those attributes are not present. If someone says "I can not define X fully but I know Y is one of it's attributes" I can then say "Well this thing here does not have Y at all, so whatever this thing is, it is not X".

The difference is I have offered a wealth of reasoning and arguments as to why sentience is a required aspect/attribute of personhood. You have merely LISTED words like "organ" "thalamus" and left them hanging. You are skipping the important step. Simply asserting a list of words at us still leaves all the work ahead of you to make a link. And as I noted before generally the things you list happen in other mammals too but you are not assigning them "personhood" so you have done a double-fail in that A) You have not linked the listed things to personhood at all and B) you have not explained why other entities with those things do not get personhood. This goes BEYOND the "begging of the question" as a fallacy really.

Yet is it not funny, and telling, that you continue to A) not actually rebut my arguments just moan about me having made them and B) claim that the majority of my "followers" as you put it do not agree with me despite my posts being thanked and yours not. This just tells me one thing.... you would be better rebutting my points directly, rather than moaning about them or fantasising what you WANT to believe others think about them. As neither of those approaches appears to be getting you.... well.... anywhere.

I am genuinely curious about your approach to this conversation. You really do appear to be contriving to demonstrate that you are engaging in it in the worst possible faith. Ignoring one whole post. Then moving from talking with me to talking ABOUT me. And now in a post directly to me you have shifted to talking about me in the third person. I can guess at a few psychological motivations for these moves, but I would not want to assume things as readily as you appear to enjoy doing. So I can but ask.... what is your motivation, goal and intention with these otherwise entirely insipid and crass behaviours?

stop-stop-hES.png

Genuinely brilliant post. You have the patience of a saint

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Bertieinexile, pleas advise, you’re both online, you might answer my question.

During my last pregnancy it was suspected I had placenta accretia (google it). Very luckily, in the end, I did not. However, I was informed that should I get pregnant again, I would have a 70% chance of it occurring.

Statistics on placenta accretia are hard to come by as it is historically a rare complication latterly on the rise. From my own research and from the discussions with my consultant I was told the condition has a 7% mortality rate, a 30% chance of permanent injury to my non-uterus internal organs and an 80% chance I would lose my uterus.

As a result I had a tubal ligation. But no contraceptive is a fail safe. What do YOU advise as my current course of action:

A. Refrain from having sex with my husband until go through the menopause;

B. Have sex with my husband but, should my contraception fail, accept that I would have a 1 in 20 chance of dying, and a 1 in 5 chance of suffering a serious life debititating injury should I bring the pregnancy to full term.

Bear in mind that I have three young children who would be left without a mother if the 1 in 20 chance came to pass.

Your beliefs mean my choice has to be A or B.

Go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

JDD wrote: »
    Bertieinexile, pleas advise, you’re both online, you might answer my question.
    Your beliefs mean my choice has to be A or B.

Go.

where have I ever said that? heres an answer I gave in the previous thread

Do you think women should be convicted for abortions obtained here?
    Me, personally. No. Nor for importing abortion pills, or taking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

where have I ever said that? heres an answer I gave in the previous thread

So your advice is to circumvent the law by illegally obtaining abortion pills and using them?

Wow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/savita-halappanavar-s-father-urges-yes-vote-in-abortion-referendum-1.3457368

Mr Yalagi, a retired engineer, was contacted by The Irish Times on Tuesday

Mr Yalagi said Yes campaigners should his daughter’s image in their efforts to change the State’s abortion laws.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement