Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

I am looking forward to answering that JDD.
    I want to do it justice.
    I just don't seem to have as much time as a lot of people here for posting.

Soon as I can.

Thank you.

I have to say, I don't agree with your viewpoint, but I do appreciate that you keep things civil and make an attempt to put your viewpoint across in a cogent manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

http://crowdfund.togetherforyes.ie/?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=cf250

Don't forget to donate, if you are in a position to. If you can't donate money, donate time, if you're not in a position to donate time, post online, contribute to the discussion, contribute to the education of people who may not be fully informed on the topic and the FACTS around abortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

It's up at €366k now. The target is now €500k. Imagine that they aimed to raise €50k And when a load of people who support repealing donate tens, twenties and fifties it could add up to half a million euro.

It's just phenomenal.

I think we can do this. It makes me really hopeful for May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Somebody asked earlier about poster costs. My father was involved in the 2011 general election for one of the main parties. I asked him today and he said the large posters cost €20. They are very expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

This post has been deleted.

He said the posters alone were €20. The plastic ties were extra and I guess the volunteers weren’t paid.

Here seriously if anyone is questioning the cost of stuff why dont you go off and get involved in the campaign and see for yourself and support on the ground. Online is not the place for questioning it.

They're not flimsy paper posters like! My dad has a couple from a referendum a few years ago patching a hole on his shed roof!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

A3 (or larger) corriboard printed in colour isn't cheap, no matter what the discount for quantity.

Kinda shows the disparity in financing, from the get go, the No posters were up and all over the country the morning after their campaign went "live", whereas Repeal posters are still rare, and relies on crowdfunding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

I just don't seem to have as much time as a lot of people here for posting.

It's quite interesting to extract the posts and visualise it. One poster had 18 comments in this thread alone one day.

thee glitz wrote: »
    It's quite interesting to extract the posts and visualise it. One poster had 18 comments in this thread alone one day.

You sound quite judgemental.

Funny that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

so? some people have a lot of time on their hands!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

thee glitz wrote:

Yet you took the time to count?

amdublin wrote: »

You sound quite judgemental.

Funny that

You'll have to appreciate the irony there...
    so? some people have a lot of time on their hands!

Well yes, I can see that! It's interesting what insights you can get from a semi-structured dataset if nothing else.
    Yet you took the time to count?

I didn't actually count them, but built a little thing to do most of the work.
    Sentiment analysis would be interesting too, and moreso justifiable if I use any of it for a college project.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

You'll have to appreciate the irony there...

Well yes, I can see that! It's interesting what insights you can get from a semi-structured dataset if nothing else.

I didn't actually count them, but built a little thing to do most of the work.
    Sentiment analysis would be interesting too, and moreso justifiable if I use any of it for a college project.

You cannot serious judge people for posting more than once a day when you have taken the time to actually count out people's posts... worse that you "built a little thing" to do it

You cannot serious judge people for posting more than once a day when you have taken the time to actually count out people's posts... worse that you "built a little thing" to do it

I'm not at all - there's a similar thread here somewhere where I've at least 120 posts. I don't think anyone's got that many here yet, not far off though.

If you're interested in more than a handful of users (and I'm not specifically interested in any), it's quicker to automate it. As I hinted at, I'm currently studying analytics.

I'm not at all - there's a similar thread here somewhere where I've at least 120 posts. I don't think anyone's got that many here yet, not far off though.

If you're interested in more than a handful of users (and I'm not specifically interested in any), it's quicker to automate it. As I hinted at, I'm currently studying analytics.

Where, Cambridge? (Harhar, I made a funny.)

This is seriously petty. Luckily, it nakedly comes across that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Was it me? Please let it have been me!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

For those joining us late...

I put up a video of a 23 week old premature baby.
    https://youtu.be/2RQ8ks-UH0E?t=22s
    I said he is now a healthy 3 year old. You can even look up the parents account on youtube and see video of him playing.

nozzferraahhtoo said that
    ....if a mother in the UK decided, after it's removal from her womb not to put it on life support and to let it die...... then I would not be losing any sleep over it.
    I asked how much support there was for that view among the pro choice posters on here

And I am shocked that
    ELM327 (thanked by captbarnacles), Poster ...., (thanked by erica74), Professor Plum, (thanked by baylah17, January, Madscientist30, SusieBlue) and January (thanked by baylah17, ProfessorPlum) have all said they agree.

ELM327 wrote:
    I agree with the post, I would not lose sleep over it.
    .... wrote:
    I certainly wouldnt lose any sleep over it.

Ok - to be clear - you are asking if people would be comfortable with the idea of withdrawing life support for a baby born at 22weeks?

If that’s the question, well then of course the answer is yes. That is a very reasonable course of action, and I would support any parent if that was their choice.

In fact it is policy in several countries not to resuscitate extremely premature infants. In countries where it is not a direct policy, in most circumstances, it is an option given to parents of extremely premature infants not to provide supportive measures, just ‘comfort care’. I fully agree with this scenario.
    January wrote:
    I'd also have absolutely no problem with it either for the same reasons stated above by Professor Plum.

nozzferrahhtoo was thanked for his original statement by
    Call me Al, crustybla, DubInMeath, Fizzlesque, frag420, January, PopePalpatine, Simi, swampgas and Yeah_Right

So far January is the only one of those we have heard from (DubInMeath is away)

Maybe this is just the very extreme end of the pro choice view.

Is there any other pro choice poster on here ready to agree that you shouldn't lose sleep over someone taking the life of that child hooked up to tubes in that incubator.

I am fascinated by what response we will have had by tomorrow afternoon.

_Dara_ wrote: »

This is seriously petty. Luckily, it nakedly comes across that way.

That's not what I was going for at all. Not sure how I've upset anyone.
    January wrote: »

No names! I don't know what your stats are but it's very easy for anyone to find out - I just did it for a few posters for proof of concept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

amdublin wrote: »
    They're not flimsy paper posters like! My dad has a couple from a referendum a few years ago patching a hole on his shed roof!

#RepealTheRain

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

January wrote: »

15 posts in your first day (24 hours) on the thread,

search/submit/?user=100029&thread=2057852825&sort=oldest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Have to pro life camp literally bought every web ad they can.

I'm being bombarded with save the 8th ads everywhere, on every site and app I visit. Seriously if I see another image of an unborn fetus...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

You actually counted people’s thanks...really?

Get a life or get laid but do something other than geeking about on people’s posts!

And in case you’re wondering I am all for repealing the 8th, I trust women to make the right decision and wait for it, waaait for it......I have paid for three abortions in the last ten years for women I didn’t make pregnant, they were friends who found themselves in a situation they couldn’t handle and because they could not get the help they required in Ireland they had to go to the UK and I’m proud to say I helped them and I will do it again if needed!

I said he is now a healthy 3 year old. You can even look up the parents account on youtube and see video of him playing.

I asked how much support there was for that view among the pro choice posters on here

And I am shocked that
    ELM327 (thanked by captbarnacles), Poster ...., (thanked by erica74), Professor Plum, (thanked by baylah17, January, Madscientist30, SusieBlue) and January (thanked by baylah17, ProfessorPlum) have all said they agree.

Call me Al, crustybla, DubInMeath, Fizzlesque, frag420, January, PopePalpatine, Simi, swampgas and Yeah_Right

Is there any other pro choice poster on here ready to agree that you shouldn't lose sleep over someone taking the life of that child hooked up to tubes in that incubator.

Hey Bertie, great to have you back again!
    Any chance you could answer some questions instead of posting the same thing over & over again?

frag420 wrote: »
    You actually counted people’s thanks...really?

its listed under the post, (not this one, obviously, but others)

Reati wrote: »
    Have to pro life camp literally bought every web ad they can.

I'm being bombarded with save the 8th ads everywhere, on every site and app I visit. Seriously if I see another image of an unborn fetus...

ads are based on search / browsing history...

If the best course of action, as decided by the mother (and father) of the child, and their doctors is not to proceed with support, and provide comfort care instead, I'm ok with that.

Jesus, it's not an easy decision for anyone to make, but it's their decision.

This isn't hate, this isn't dehumanising, it's having a bit of empathy for those involved.

And you keep banging on about that child that was scanned at 22 weeks, and is now a 3 year old. Cool, absolutely delighted for them. I doubt there's anyone here that isn't.

Noone is asking for MANDATORY abortions, but anyone that finds themselves in a difficult position should have necessary care available to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

And I am shocked that

I don't think it's extreme in supporting parents in withdrawing life support of that's what the wish to do. I'd support any adult making the same decision for their next of kin if that's what they decided was best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Why do you keep spouting the same thing over and over.

You're just trying to emotionally maniputalte anyone who will listen.

What does it matter who thanked what post over a hypothetical question you asked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement