Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Trasna1 wrote: »
    The majority of my posting in this thread has been in relation to questionable campaign activity by both sides and how this makes them both rotten.

No, most of it has been bragging about how perfectly neutral you are, as if that was a virtue rather than a sign of utter ignorance of current affairs.

You have yet to point out any questionable activity by the Yes campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Call me Al wrote: »
    There was an excellent fly-on-the-wall documentary series recently enough on the Birmingham Children's hospital NICU.
    The focus was around paediatric life and death situations, the related ethical decisions and how they were arrived at, and the involvement of parents and medical staff in coming to these decisions.
    It was very realistic in paring back to the fundamentals of quality of life versus basic existence when coming to the harsh ethical decisions that these families make.
    And they make them everyday all over the world. I'm sure they'd do anything not to be in the position of having to do this. But they are.

So no i dont judge any parent in that situation whatever the age of their child.

I saw that program. It was heart wrenching.
    The poor parents in some of the cases covered they didn't want their child in pain but they just didn't want to give up either. The medical staff were incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

I dont understand the push for abortion but yet people are very against the death penalty? Its ok to scramble babies in the womb but not ok to hang murderers and child molesters? I think if we have one we should have the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Over €410k raised by crowd funding.

I swear it'll be half a million by the weekend!

https://togetherforyes.causevox.com/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=cf1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Call me Al wrote:
    There was an excellent fly-on-the-wall documentary series recently enough on the Birmingham Children's hospital NICU. The focus was around paediatric life and death situations, the related ethical decisions and how they were arrived at, and the involvement of parents and medical staff in coming to these decisions. It was very realistic in paring back to the fundamentals of quality of life versus basic existence when coming to the harsh ethical decisions that these families make. And they make them everyday all over the world. I'm sure they'd do anything not to be in the position of having to do this. But they are.

Call me Al wrote:
    So no i dont judge any parent in that situation whatever the age of their child.

Oh I agree, I was wondering how he thinks all of us who believe that it's a decision for the next of kin no matter what age the patient is have somehow missed the point. If you choose to "love both" should that not also mean that you support both through difficult situations and don't try dictate what is right or wrong to anyone in that awful position.
    That probably wasn't clear there is no sarcasm emoji!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

You are not going to like campaigning if you have to explain the same thing over and over. I never claimed to be an expert, not have I spread any mistruths. The majority of my posting in this thread has been in relation to questionable campaign activity by both sides and how this makes them both rotten.

I'm not a new poster here btw, I've been around here for years

Well, duh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

jugger0 wrote: »
    I dont understand the push for abortion but yet people are very against the death penalty? Its ok to scramble babies in the womb but not ok to hang murderers and child molesters? I think if we have one we should have the other.

The death penalty is the state deeming that a person shouldn't be alive because of their crimes.
    Abortion is required for many reasons.

There's a difference.

What happened to your previous account?

Who got thread-banned 7 days ago?

The death penalty is the state deeming that a person shouldn't be alive because of their crimes.

There's a difference.

Yeah and the majority of the reasons are because they just dont want a baby.. not because they were raped or because of a dangerous medical condition, they just dont want one so they get to give it a little "death penalty". It makes more sense for criminals to be given the death penalty as they are a danger to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

almost 300 pages discussing topic which personal individuals should be able to make it themselves if in that situation, id understands if it was some sort of forced decision to be made on someone, but now even in most cases one can take trip to uk and have abortion no questions asked.

Do people really become so small brained that government has to dictate every life choice someone makes ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

You are not going to like campaigning if you have to explain the same thing over and over. I never claimed to be an expert, not have I spread any mistruths. The majority of my posting in this thread has been in relation to questionable campaign activity by both sides and how this makes them both rotten.

I'm not a new poster here btw, I've been around here for years

In fairness, the answers to your questions have been can be found throughout this or the other thread, in some shape or form. I can appreciate it's a large thread at this stage, but similarly, I'm sure you can appreciate the frustration posters experience when they're answering the same questions over and over again.

In any case, your questions have been answered. Do you need clarity on anything said or have any other questions about the referendum?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

I sometimes wonder why these pro-life fundamentalists aren't protesting outside a woman's house once a month when she menstruates or stoning a bedroom window every time some young lad has a ****.

Taking their argument to the nth degree surely they see these processes as the destruction of the building blocks of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

There's a difference.

Yeah and the majority of the reasons are because they just dont want a baby.. not because they were raped or because of a dangerous medical condition, they just dont want one so they get to give it a little "death penalty". It makes more sense for criminals to be given the death penalty as they are a danger to society.
    The point is no woman should be required to give a reason or excuse her decision to terminate a pregnancy as it's nobody else's business.

Trust women
    Repeal the Oppressive 8th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

No, the majority of reasons is, they're not ready, they don't want kids at all, they cannot afford kids, or another kid, they have health implications that may make a pregnancy difficult or life threatening if it were to continue.

Although, they just don't want a baby is a valid reason for them to have an abortion.

There' are hundreds of reasons why women have abortions, all of them are very valid.

baylah17 wrote: »
    The point is no woman should be required to give a reason or excuse her decision to terminate a pregnancy as it's nobody else's business.

Trust women

It is the fathers business as you are killing his child too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Even if the father raped the woman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

What if he agrees? What if you don't know who he is? What if he doesn't want to have any input? What if he says it's your decision you make the best one for yourself?

And even if he doesn't agree it is still the womans final decision because ultimately she is the one who is pregnant and if she doesn't want to be she shouldn't be forced to remain pregnant.

Nobody is killing children by the way.

baylah17 wrote: »

Trust women

No
    The only one who can currently be compelled to carry an unwanted pregnancy is a woman
    The only one whose health is placed at risk is a woman
    All of the primary victims of the 8th have been women
    #trustwomen
    Repeal the 8th before it kills any more women

• Registered Users Posts: 22,017 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It is the fathers business
    It is, but less so than the woman as he does not have to carry the pregnancy potentially against his will
    as you are killing
    no one is killing anything
    his child too.
    It's not a child as it hasnt been born yet

So way to miss the point (I'm a man Btw)

January wrote: »
    What if he agrees? What if you don't know who he is? What if he doesn't want to have any input? What if he says it's your decision you make the best one for yourself?

And even if he doesn't agree it is still the womans final decision because ultimately she is the one who is pregnant and if she doesn't want to be she shouldn't be forced to remain pregnant.

I dont mind abortion, Im not against it at all, I just dont like that the abortion crew are against the death penalty. Heinous crimes should be punished with death. It makes no sense to me that people are for baby termination but not scumbag multiple offenders? Have you ever watched an abortion? It is killing, I can link you a video if you'd like?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

It makes no sense to me that people are for baby termination but not scumbag multiple offenders?

But what about the father of the multiple offender? Killing his child is ignoring his rights!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,017 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I dont mind abortion, Im not against it at all, I just dont like that the abortion crew are against the death penalty. Heinous crimes should be punished with death. It makes no sense to me that people are for baby termination but not scumbag multiple offenders? Have you ever watched an abortion? It is killing, I can link you a video if you'd like?
    No need for a video.
    I've seen the reality thanks. In a cold steel bowl in the UK.

It is not killing. You cannot kill that which is incapable of living. It is the end of a pregnancy which could have, one day, been a child. But it is not a child at that point. Not a baby, a child, a bundle of joy, a human life, any other term of endearment the anti choicers are forcing down our throat today.

January wrote: »

No
    It's not kill g and the 8th amendment has nothing to do with the death penalty other than it is the 8th which has sentenced Savita and many other women to death.
    Cop yourself on.
    Trust women
    #The 8th amendment is killng women
    REPEAL IT NOW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

My new favourite kind of poster is the one who acts just like a pro-lifer and spouts the same garbage but claims to be completely undecided on the matter or even pro-choice. Seem to be a lot of them in here lately and it's endlessly entertaining as they seem to think they're fooling anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

jugger0 wrote:

We've all seen it pal! Most of us have had a Catholic education. I know what abortion is, I know how it works, I've been attending the marches for more than half my life. I want the 8th repealed regardless of what legislation if any comes next

But what about the father of the multiple offender? Killing his child is ignoring his rights!

Listen if you want to kill babies thats fine, I really dont mind its your choice. I just think its a double standard that there is no death penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭optogirl

if you want to kill babies thats fine

If ignorance is bliss you must be permanently ecstatic.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement