Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

A big deal of info relating to the effect of the 8th and the possible outcome of repeal can be seen on this website: https://aboutthe8th.com/

I highly recommend reading the FAQ. Whatever info you had beforehand was way off

Hey thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭optogirl

....... wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

This poster actually enjoys watching this kind of stuff

'I'd say its curiosity for the most part, people getting run over by trains, disintegrated by explosives, decapitated, sniped in the head, ran over by a tank, burned to death.. its stuff you don't see everyday. Also at the start it was a macho thing, i'd feel like a wimp if i didn't watch them. '

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

jugger0 wrote:
    Do you really think most women will sit and watch a video of baby dismemberment? Its so horrific if I was to post it I would be banned immediately.

Do you realise how condescending this comes across? We're not silly little women with notions, we know what happens we know what abortion is we don't need you to come along with your video to "educate" us

optogirl wrote: »
    But haven't you posted on other threads about enjoying watching that kind of thing? Beheadings, people being burned & maimed - your faux horror at a surgical procedure is just ridiculous

hahahaha you little creeper.

Sure look, I am voting yes. I was just horrified that people were voting for that kind of thing to be done to an unborn child, now that I know the truth and its done with a neat little pill I will still be voting yes... just far less horrified about the ordeal.

This poster actually enjoys watching this kind of stuff

'I'd say its curiosity for the most part, people getting run over by trains, disintegrated by explosives, decapitated, sniped in the head, ran over by a tank, burned to death.. its stuff you don't see everyday. Also at the start it was a macho thing, i'd feel like a wimp if i didn't watch them. '

Still better than Fair City.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭optogirl

jugger0 wrote: »
    hahahaha you little creeper.

Sure look, I am voting yes. I was just horrified that people were voting for that kind of thing to be done to an unborn child, now that I know the truth and its done with a neat little pill I will still be voting yes... just far less horrified about the ordeal.

You are voting yes but are horrified that other people are voting yes. It just gets more nonsensical by the second. And yes, hands up, I did go creeping but just because I couldn't believe you were for real and were perhaps a habitual troll. It turns out you're not a troll. I'm not sure what the word is for your particular malaise.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Did you not earlier say it was hypocritical for someone to be in favour of abortion but against the death penalty.

Yet you dont see your own hypocrisy in enjoying videos of death and dismemberment of adults but claiming to be horrified at abortion videos?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hey look...at the end of the day it's another person trying the scare tactics and being proved wrong. So that's something at least.

I dont enjoy them, they are horrible but it is humanity in its most vicious form, so it is like watching a nature documentary. And I dont like watching people being killed, cartel and Isis members dont count.

You are voting yes but are horrified that other people are voting yes. It just gets more nonsensical by the second. And yes, hands up, I did go creeping but just because I couldn't believe you were for real and were perhaps a habitual troll. It turns out you're not a troll. I'm not sure what the word is for your particular malaise.

Yes, voting yes while ignoring the actual procedure, thats what I thought was strange... but turns out I was wrong and I accept that. I was always going to vote yes but now I do so with even greater ease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Im not trying to scare anyone, I just think its a big deal and people should know what happens.

Another "Yes voter" who thinks abortion is horrific and thinks everyone should watch gory videos and agree.

Hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Do you really think most women will sit and watch a video of baby dismemberment? Its so horrific if I was to post it I would be banned immediately.

As I said, in a post you thanked me for but do not appear to have read, such videos are not even remotely representative of well over 92% of abortions. And for those to which it is relevant they are likely having to have an abortion for reasons outside their control or desire and they are therefore already upset enough without having to view the sordid details of the procedure.

Statistically the number of women having the type of abortion you describe, who are doing it for reasons that are not entirely outside their control and desire, is almost none. So the question remains then who exactly is it you feel needs to see such things and why and what relevance does it actually have to anything?

I reckon you A) do not know and B) do not care what the answers to those actually are. What your agenda is is to make abortion so emotive that you cajole "no" votes out of people you are unable to actually offer arguments to.

As I said, in a post you thanked me for but do not appear to have read, such videos are not even remotely representative of well over 92% of abortions. And for those does whom it is relevant they are likely having to have an abortion for reasons outside their control or desire and they are therefore already upset enough without having to view the sordid details of the procedure.

Statistically the number of women having the type of abortion you describe, who are doing it for reasons that are not entirely outside their control and desire, is almost none. So the question remains then who exactly is it you feel needs to see such things and why and what relevance does it actually have to anything?

I reckon you A) do not know and B) do not care what the answers to those actually are. What your agenda is is to make abortion so emotive that you cajole "no" votes out of people you are unable to actually offer arguments to.

I have no agenda, I came in here talking about something I didnt know enough about.

I do like your replies though, they are very civil and non insulting. You should be a politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Yeah and the majority of the reasons are because they just dont want a baby.. not because they were raped or because of a dangerous medical condition, they just dont want one so they get to give it a little "death penalty". It makes more sense for criminals to be given the death penalty as they are a danger to society.
    Do you think that people who don’t want to have children would be good parents?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,134 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have no agenda, I came in here talking about something I didnt know enough about.
    It didnt stop you talking about it insistently and incoherently though...so thats the main thing...well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Perhaps you do not. That is certainly a possibility. However if so then you seriously need to change your approach to this topic. People tend to judge what you are based on your words and actions, not based on how you describe yourself. And every post so far gives the impression of literally dripping with agenda. So denying that agenda is likely to leave people very much unconvinced.

The citizens assembly have recommended legislation that offers abortion by choice up to week 12. Abortion up to and even BEYOND week 12 are medical. They are simply using a pill.

The video you are touting therefore is not relevant to anyone or anything here. Generally the only people having the type of abortion you are describing are doing so for reasons they can not control and they are already likely suffering for it.

There is ZERO benefit in making such women, who are already in distress and pain and remorse and more, aware of the intricate bloody details of the procedure. The lack of empathy and basic humanity it would require to do that is literally disgusting.

Hell we do not even tend to show the details of more mundane surgery to people who are about to have it. Why in the name of all that is good do you think we need to do so here? Would you force someone about to have a limb removed to watch a video of such a procedure, all the blood and tendons and bone and cauterization and more? Are they not in enough distress and pain already?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭swampgas

Perhaps you do not. That is certainly a possibility. However if so then you seriously need to change your approach to this topic. People tend to judge what you are based on your words and actions, not based on how you describe yourself. And every post so far gives the impression of literally dripping with agenda.

The citizens assembly have recommended legislation that offers abortion by choice up to week 12. Abortion up to and even BEYOND week 12 are medical. They are simply using a pill.

The video you are touting therefore is not relevant to anyone or anything here. Generally the only people having the type of abortion you are describing are doing so for reasons they can not control and they are already likely suffering for it.

There is ZERO benefit in making such women, who are already in distress and pain and remorse and more, aware of the intricate bloody details of the procedure. The lack of empathy and basic humanity it would require to do that is literally disgusting.

Hell we do not even tend to show the details of more mundane surgery to people who are about to have it. Why in the name of all that is good do you think we need to do so here? Would you force someone about to have a limb removed to watch a video of such a procedure, all the blood and tendons and bone and cauterization and more? Are they not in enough distress and pain already?

I've had eye surgery - double orbital decompression in fact. There's a video of the procedure on youtube. There is no way on earth I could watch it. (I tried - I got about 5 seconds in.) It's very very disturbing for non-medical people to watch, but without it I'd be blind. So "hard to watch", "icky", and "gory" have nothing at all to do with good/bad, and nothing at all to say about whether a medical procedure is appropriate or not.

Is there anything that can be done about blatantly misinforming posters? Saw an anti-repeal one today that claimed abortion up to 6 months, which is total lies.

It is the fathers business as you are killing his child too.
    He can insist the pregnancy continues when he can carry it to term.
    I dont know how else to describe it.. disemboweled, eviscerated, decapitated etc
    Not a medical abortion. Inform yourself. Stop spreading lies.

Already have, thanks all the same. When I was 14. Nuns made us watch it. Still pro-choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The video I seen is not fake, it is not just one video, it was very disturbing.

I had open heart surgery as a child. Watching videos of that online is not pleasant.

I also had surgery to correct a detached retina in which my eyeball was popped out and a plastic strip attached to the back of my eyeball. Watching that procedure on YouTube was fun.

Our internal workings are not pretty. Women bleed 5 days every 4 weeks and during that time we see blood and other matter. It’s not pretty but it happens. Any video of any surgery will be upsetting to some.

dudara wrote: »
    I had open heart surgery as a child. Watching videos of that online is not pleasant.

I also had surgery to correct a detached retina in which my eyeball was popped out and a plastic strip attached to the back of my eyeball. Watching that procedure on YouTube was fun.

Our internal workings are not pretty. Women bleed 5 days every 4 months and during that time we see blood and other matter. It’s not pretty but it happens. Any video of any surgery will be upsetting to some.

Only every 4 months? Lucky you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

kylith wrote: »
    Only every 4 months? Lucky you! :D

I wish :) Weeks dammit

• Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I have given 50 quid to the yes campaign the other day, not exactly millions, but think we should all try to help as every little helps.:o

For the "pro life" campaigners I do sympathise, but nothing will change for you even if yes wins. It just means women will have more choices which is a good thing for all women no matter what your view is on the upcoming vote.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,597 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I dont enjoy them, they are horrible but it is humanity in its most vicious form, so it is like watching a nature documentary. And I dont like watching people being killed, cartel and Isis members dont count.

So killing is bad but some killing is good? So you're not pro-life at all you're pro "let's say this to wind people up"?

There's a name for people like you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

I am looking forward to answering that JDD.
    I want to do it justice.
    I just don't seem to have as much time as a lot of people here for posting.

Soon as I can.

Hi Bertie.

Five comprehensive detailed posts on this thread in the last 24 hours, yet you still haven't had time to answer my post.

I'm still waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

JDD wrote: »
    Hi Bertie.

Five comprehensive detailed posts on this thread in the last 24 hours, yet you still haven't had time to answer my post.

I'm still waiting.

He's waiting on a reply from head office so he can copy and paste it to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭applehunter

C'mon Bertie, they're waiting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement