Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

My baby was born healthy with a misdiagnosis of a ffa or didn't you read that. The problem I faced was that I could not travel. I would like women with a ffa to be allowed to induce their pregnancies here in our materity hopsitals, on demand to 12 weeks but not unlimited abortion which repealing the 8th will provide

Why is it I was asked to look at the 100s of stories in - In her Shoes and you didn't dare dispute that their stories show how the 8th hurts women. Yet I say the 8th saved my child and you question it. Respectful tactic would be to acknowledge my experience -disagree if you like but please if something doesn't suit your narrative say nothing rather than dispute a horrific experience that I went through.

And people have you believe that this referendum is all about trusting and supporting women..... that should also be amended to..... "supporting and trusting women if it fits my narrative"

so because things worked out you other women should not be given a choice? what a horrible attitude to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

My baby was born healthy with a misdiagnosis of a ffa or didn't you read that. The problem I faced was that I could not travel. I would like women with a ffa to be allowed to induce their pregnancies here in our materity hopsitals, on demand to 12 weeks but not unlimited abortion which repealing the 8th will provide

Repealing the 8th does not provide unlimited abortion!

You didn't answer what I asked you.

No it's not a human being as they are not seen so legally until birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

...on demand to 12 weeks but not unlimited abortion which repealing the 8th will provide...

This is completely false. After repeal, the current laws stand, until the Oireachtas changes them. And they are NOT going to change them to allow "unlimited abortion" after 12 weeks.

Please don't repeat this lie again. It doesn't help your position in anyway to be so misleading or uninformed, and more importantly it doesn't help the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Why is it I was asked to look at the 100s of stories in - In her Shoes and you didn't dare dispute that their stories show how the 8th hurts women. Yet I say the 8th saved my child and you question it. Respectful tactic would be to acknowledge my experience -disagree if you like but please if something doesn't suit your narrative say nothing rather than dispute a horrific experience that I went through.

And people have you believe that this referendum is all about trusting and supporting women..... that should also be amended to..... "supporting and trusting women if it fits my narrative"

I did read that. No need to be snotty about it. Abortions, even if the 8th is repealed, will not be compulsory. If someone with FFA does not wish to have one, they will not have to. I'm afraid your single example does not migrate the suffering of other women though.

Due to the numbers of women who do suffer. I am not disputing your experience. In fact I even said I wasn't. I'm disputing that repealing the 8th would have had any significant impact.

You're actually twisting my words... again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

Repealing the 8th removes the constitutional restriction on abortion, therefore leaving it up to the legislature to decide.

So in theory, though unlikely, a future government could introduce a Chinese type system if they wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Trasna1 wrote: »
    Repealing the 8th removes the constitutional restriction on abortion, therefore leaving it up to the legislature to decide.

So in theory, though unlikely, a future government could introduce a Chinese type system if they wanted to.

Or ban it completely. They could also change whatever laws they like, based on that argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"Unlikely" is understating it by a few light-years.

It would require several referendums and thousands of pages of rewritten legislation to remove all the EU and international treaties that currently prevent us from introducing "Chinese-style" (whatever that is) abortion in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭petalgumdrops

NuMarvel wrote: »
    This is completely false. After repeal, the current laws stand, until the Oireachtas changes them. And they are NOT going to change them to allow "unlimited abortion" after 12 weeks.

Please don't repeat this lie again. It doesn't help your position in anyway to be so misleading or uninformed, and more importantly it doesn't help the discussion.

Contact lawyers for choice who seem to have a different view to you on this? The 12 weeks is merely a proposal, not even a bill. It will need to go in front of the oireactas to pass like any legislation. Changes to norama Legislation does not need the backing or approval of the people.,politicians will make these decisions. I have spent a long time researching this.

The removal of the 8th makes the ammendment unconstitutional and can be challenged in the supreme court. Who have already said that the unborns right to life will cease to exist with the passing of repeal.

I wait in anticipation for you to tell me differently.

Or ban it completely. They could also change whatever laws they like, based on that argument.

Without the 8th a constitutional judgement on a woman's right to medical treatment would almost certainly guarantee a right to an abortion. I've felt something like that would have been unlikely to succeed in the 80s but the Constitution is considered a living document so that interpretation might be considered reasonable now.

And yes, the government can change whatever laws it likes.. It does so, regularly.

• Advertisement

A) Examples of thing politicians can legislate for because there is no constitutional provision stopping them:

Closing all public hospitals
    Repealing drink driving laws
    lowering the age of consent
    increase taxes to 99%

B) Examples of things that politicians are not fecking likely to legislate for despite there being no constitutional amendment

See A.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Without the 8th a constitutional judgement on a woman's right to medical treatment would almost certainly guarantee a right to an abortion. I've felt something like that would have been unlikely to succeed in the 80s but the Constitution is considered a living document so that interpretation might be considered reasonable now.

And yes, the government can change whatever laws it likes.. It does so, regularly.

Gasp! the government will enact laws based on the will of the people as in a functional representative democracy.

You have a problem with the system of government we have - any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Contact lawyers for choice who seem to have a different view to you on this? The 12 weeks is merely a proposal, not even a bill. It will need to go in front of the oireactas to pass like any legislation. Changes to norama Legislation does not need the backing or approval of the people.,politicians will make these decisions. I have spent a long time researching this.

The removal of the 8th makes the ammendment unconstitutional
    and can be challenged in the supreme court. Who have already said that the unborns right to life will cease to exist with the passing of repeal.

how horribly condescending. and the part in bold is just so wrong it hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The removal of the 8th makes the ammendment unconstitutional and can be challenged in the supreme court.
    You are literally throwing words on the screen and hoping that it sounds like a cogent argument. The above sentence makes no sense. Not like, "I don't understand your point", like, "This is a load of words strung together by someone who doesn't understand what most of them mean".
    Who have already said that the unborns right to life will cease to exist with the passing of repeal.
    That's not correct. The supreme court have made no such declaration in regards to what will happen when the eighth is repealed.

You're close, but your wording is so specific that I wonder if you're deliberately miswording it or regurgitating something you heard from a pro-life group.

Have you read the proposals or the wording of the 36th amendment? When you do get back to me. While there may be no appetite to increase or impose a limit beyond 12 weeks, limits will not be placed into our constitution. When we vote on repeal we will never vote again and it will be our politicians who can and will provide for an upper limit. From reading the posts here it seems many people feel the unborn should have zero rights and so the increasing of limits are not beyond the realm of possibility in near future. European average would not be likelt to exceed 18 weeks but limits CAN be moved by the government and not the people
    . This is what repealing an amended does.

A) Examples of thing politicians can legislate for because there is no constitutional provision stopping them:

Closing all public hospitals
    Repealing drink driving laws
    lowering the age of consent
    increase taxes to 99%

B) Examples of things that politicians are not fecking likely to legislate for despite there being no constitutional amendment

See A.

Politicians are doing their best to get a minimum alcohol pricing bill implemented though there is little to no public support for one.

Governments are strongly influenced by their supporters not the public.

The removal of the 8th makes the ammendment unconstitutional and can be challenged in the supreme court. Who have already said that the unborns right to life will cease to exist with the passing of repeal.

Can't have politicians making law...wait isn't that in the constitution too?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Every country in Europe is obviously devastated by now. Even Italy. The Pope has said it, at is fkn peril lol!

I don't hear anything about terminations anywhere now. Does anyone.

The woman's choice,

Politicians are doing their best to get a minimum alcohol pricing bill implemented though there is little to no public support for one.

Governments are strongly influenced by their supporters not the public.

Really Irish Water would disagree with you there.

One of the reasons the vote is happening is because of public out cry over women dying when an abortion could have saved their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Viability.

Can you answer my questions now?

Even if it is a question of viability, it is still the intentional ending of a life, if abortion occurs at a stage of unviability.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    You are literally throwing words on the screen and hoping that it sounds like a cogent argument. The above sentence makes no sense. Not like, "I don't understand your point", like, "This is a load of words strung together by someone who doesn't understand what most of them mean".

This came from Lawyers from choice. Who have said that repeal will make the 8th amendment
    Will make current legislation unconstitutional. But hey they are the pro- choice laywer group.

That's not correct. The supreme court have made no such declaration in regards to what will happen when the eighth is repealed.

You're close, but your wording is so specific that I wonder if you're deliberately miswording it or regurgitating something you heard from a pro-life group.

Outside of article 40.3.3 there is no constitutional protection for the unborn.

Again why assume I'm pro-life because I feel the unborn should have rights at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

I have spent a long time researching this. .

Not long enough if you don't know the difference between legislation and a constitutional amendment. That is literally first semester stuff in law.
    The removal of the 8th makes the ammendment unconstitutional and can be challenged in the supreme court.

Repeal makes nothing unconstitutional, be it in legislation or in the constitution. By definition, anything in the constitution can't be unconstitutional. The present law still stands until it's changed by the Oireachtas. And you've presented nothing to indicate how a challenge to the courts would be successful.

By the way, the challenge would be in the High Court first, not the Supreme Court. They'd only hear an appeal to a lower courts' decision, and even then only if they thought the appeal had sufficient merit to warrant being heard.

Congratulations on getting something right.

Not long enough if you don't know the difference between legislation and a constitutional amendment. That is literally first semester stuff in law.

Repeal makes nothing unconstitutional, be it in legislation or in the constitution. By definition, anything in the constitution can't be unconstitutional. The present law still stands until it's changed by the Oireachtas. And you've presented nothing to indicate how a challenge to the courts would be successful.

By the way, the challenge would be in the High Court first, not the Supreme Court. They'd only hear an appeal to a lower courts' decision, and even then only if they thought the appeal had sufficient merit to warrant being heard.

Congratulations on getting something right.

God I wonder why a pro-choice Lawyer group would spout lies then so?

seamus wrote: »

Reminds me of this. :D:D

DaFcpXMVwAA7VJM.jpg

God I wonder why a pro-choice Lawyer group would spout lies then so?

They're not the ones spouting lies.

Can't have politicians making law...wait isn't that in the constitution too?

Admire your 100% faith In politicians

Gasp! the government will enact laws based on the will of the people as in a functional representative democracy.

You have a problem with the system of government we have - any other suggestions?

I've no problem with our system of government. I was responding to the point that the government could retain the ban on abortion following removal of the 8th, or reintroduce a ban at some future time. The argument I was making was that would be unlikely since a right to bodily integrity would in a modern context infer a right to abortion. This was one of the original arguments for the 8th in 83 - which in the context of the time was a stretch but not now.
    Indeed, any such challenge on the basis of the Constitution could find the idea of term limits unconstitutional.

I've no problem with our system of government. I was responding to the point that the government could retain the ban on abortion following removal of the 8th, or reintroduce a ban at some future time. The argument I was making was that would be unlikely since a right to bodily integrity would in a modern context infer a right to abortion. This was one of the original arguments for the 8th in 83 - which in the context of the time was a stretch but not now.
    Indeed, any such challenge on the basis of the Constitution could find the idea of term limits unconstitutional.

Agreed. Our laws should have a modern context which I gather by looking at other western countries is pro-choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Honestly, if the 8th is repealed, I think it will be all be forgotten about within a few weeks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement