Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

NuMarvel wrote: »
    And yet, here's what two of their members say on a public blog:

So on one hand a public post that clearly says it won't be unconstitutional, and on the other a poster claiming she's got an email that says otherwise. I wonder which one is more reliable...

There is no context at all to what is her email

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭volchitsa

This post has been deleted.

Yes they do, they go to Italy it seems.
    More Catholic hypocrisy. Malta and Ireland, I mean, not Italy.

Though Italy have their own issues too it seems, with doctors being "encouraged" for their careers to declare themselves conscientious objectors. A woman died recently in Sicily, in very similar conditions to Savitta, because all the gynecologists available in that hospital were conscientious objectors.

As explained before after my CVS yes I did want to travel. Do I really need to keep saying this, are you equally pushing people for their reasons why they did/didnt travel.
    To be fair you have opened up about your story so I dont know why you didnt accept questions.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Lawyers for choice also told me this but the message they sent me was shot down and accused of spreading fear. That's the problem wirh pro life and pro choice cannot see the argument of the middleman

No

There was no context to what you put up here.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

No

There was no context to what you put up here.

I have no idea how the eighth amendment "saved" her baby. And what she's outlined re prenatal testing isn't like anything I've heard before.

• Advertisement

But what if 15 or 18weeks as choice is too liberal for some. The middleman being the voter like myself that supports unrestricted to 12 weeks, unrestricted for health grounds and ffa

This is exactly what is being proposed!

Terry Pratchet

Screenshot from lawyers for choice attached

Eh yes but we dont know what question you asked?

Terry Pratchet

You are right in your analysis,, the yes posters are very kinda soft compared to the no posters- & just incase anyone asks me no Im not referring to any graphic imagery or anything, for example take this new no poster, its hard hitting blunt & getting right to the point a lot better compared with the soft approach of the yes posters.

448199.jpg

That poster looks illegal. No printer/publisher name.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

https://mobile.twitter.com/NursepollyRgn/status/985280763942916096

Again with the lying... She's a minor so won't be naming her here either but they seriously need to stop.

January wrote: »
    https://mobile.twitter.com/NursepollyRgn/status/985280763942916096

Again with the lying... She's a minor so won't be naming her here either but they seriously need to stop.

I Hope she stops lying.

• Advertisement

Who are the YES going to put forward for debates?

I would imagine
    Ailbhe Smyth, Grainne Griffin, Orla O'Connor, Simon Harris would be the main ones and then you would have lots of others; Ivana Bacik, Una Mullally, Josepha Madigan, Lynn Ruane, Jan O'Sullivan, Brid Smyth, Clare Daly, TFMR campaigners, Niall Behan, Mary Lou McDonald, Catherine McGuinness, Peter Boylan, Rhona Mahony.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭petalgumdrops

lazygal wrote: »
    I don't understand why a doctor in Crumlim got involved. All Dublin maternity hospitals have experts in foetal medicine who are involved in cases where possible or probable abnormalities are identified.
    And the eighth amendment saves no babies, FFA or otherwise. My decisions regarding my babies were what "saved" them.

I wasn't going to bother repying to you but seen as you insist on reading what you choose I'll try to dumb it down for you. Horse burger put a link from Dr. P McPartland that will explain the process of diagnosis a little better as you seem you seem to think you have all the answers.

Q... "Why would a doctor in Crumlin get involved?"
    because they have a consultant there that specilalises in genetic counselling. Seems quite a normal process.

I wasn't going to bother repying to you but seen as you insist on reading what you choose I'll try to dumb it down for you. Horse burger put a link from Dr. P McPartland that will explain the process of diagnosis a little better as you seem you seem to think you have all the answers.

Q... "Why would a doctor in Crumlin get involved?"
    because they have a consultant there that specilalises in genetic counselling. Seems quite a normal process.
    Can you provide a timeline of events in your pregnancy?
    It's difficult to understand why you had a non routine anatomy scan at 12 weeks. And which tests you had which were sent to a lab in the UK which contacted you directly.
    If this is your story you've chosen to share, why do you need to link to someone else's post? Why can't your own story be clarified?

RobertKK wrote: »
    The Gardai are investigating after lots of No posters were illegally taken down.

The esb took a lot down for safety reasons. Councils took a lot down because the posters were illegal.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

In my own local area , the Tidy Towns organizations have asked both campaigns not to put up posters.

Guess which campaign did as they were asked?

Guess which campaign ignored the request and is putting up posters anyway?

http://wicklownews.net/2018/04/tidy-towns-groups-are-asking-for-posters-not-to-be-erected-during-referendum-campaign/
    http://wicklownews.net/2018/04/south-wicklow-together-for-yes-to-support-tidy-towns-will-not-erect-posters-in-towns-around-wicklow-county/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

That poster looks illegal. No printer/publisher name.

I'm guessing it's in the very small print in the top right hand corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

RobertKK wrote: »
    Maybe the shadowbanning on twitter of pro-lives of the mother and unborn baby accounts is helping to block out people seeing the illegal activity.
    There is evidence of twitter helping the repeal side.
    Just as the government is with Leo Varadkar telling people to fund the yes side, organisations who get tax payers money openly supporting the yes side. Inclusion Ireland who get near all their money from taxpayers were the latest who want to exclude the unborn life.

I have seen plenty of pictures on twitter, but I follow numerous accounts which are shadow banned.

Is that from another theliberal article?

I hear there are gangs going around beating up people canvassing for repeal. You haven't heard it because it's being censored.

NuMarvel wrote: »
    I'm guessing it's in the very small print in the top right hand corner.

Sorry yes. That one looks ok. A lot of love both posters that I have seen appear to be illegal.

Terry Pratchet

Is that from another theliberal article?

I hear there are gangs going around beating up people canvassing for repeal. You haven't heard it because it's being censored.

Well I heard gangs of burly nuns armed with bicycle chains disguised as rosaries are openly attacking repeal canvassers and shouting at them to say their prayers :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭petalgumdrops

volchitsa wrote: »
    See here's the thing (one of them anyway), you seem to be claiming that you were in direct contact with a London lab that advised you differently from your own doctor in Dublin. Are you really saying that a lab technician told you to terminate your pregnancy, or do you mean you contacted a doctor in the UK after (or before??) the doctors in Ireland gave you this diagnosis, and if so, did the UK doctors really advise you to terminate without a consultation and before a placenta mosaic had been ruled out?
    That's not been my experience of antenatal testing.

Please go back and actually state at what point I said a Lab called me? Fetal Medicine consultants spoke with me after labs processed my CVS.

If you bother to actually inform yourself insted of spouting crap and disputing/twisting everything I said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,769 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

B0jangles wrote: »
    Well I heard gangs of burly nuns armed with bicycle chains disguised as rosaries are openly attacking repeal canvassers and shouting at them to say their prayers :mad:

Wait till you see the lay people with the flamethrowers saying they will burn for eternity.

Please go back and actually state at what point I said a Lab called me? Fetal Medicine consultants spoke with me after labs processed my CVS.

If you bother to actually inform yourself insted of spouting crap and disputing/twisting everything I said.

Who told you to have a termination?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Look I'm sorry if you feel you've said enough to be believed, but to be blunt, you chose to share your story not just as personal experience, but as an illustration of why the 8th needs to stay.

That's a big claim to make, so it's not unreasonable for people to expect you to spell out how exactly that makes sense, because so far what you've said doesn't show any such thing.

volchitsa wrote: »
    Look I'm sorry if you feel you've said enough to be believed, but to be blunt, you chose to share your story not just as personal experience, but as an illustration of why the 8th needs to stay.

That's a big claim to make, so it's not unreasonable for people to expect you to spell out how exactly that makes sense, because so far what you've said doesn't show any such thing.

I'm extremely unclear as to why testing initially took place, and the timeline thereafter. And how the eighth amendment, rather than a personal decision, stopped anyone having a termination in this case.

You know you could easily end all these misunderstandings if you'd just explain the basic timeline of what happened when.

Entirely your choice of course, but you did introduce your own experience as a justification for retaining the 8th. Personal experiences in which the 8th amendment can be 100% credited with a positive effect on a specific individual seem to be quite rare, so people are naturally interested in the specifics of how it helped you.

"extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" as they say

• Registered Users Posts: 23,769 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I dont think theres much point asking. It just keeps changing while still not providing any reason HOW the 8th got involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

B0jangles wrote: »
    In my own local area , the Tidy Towns organizations have asked both campaigns not to put up posters.

Guess which campaign did as they were asked?

Guess which campaign ignored the request and is putting up posters anyway?

http://wicklownews.net/2018/04/tidy-towns-groups-are-asking-for-posters-not-to-be-erected-during-referendum-campaign/
    http://wicklownews.net/2018/04/south-wicklow-together-for-yes-to-support-tidy-towns-will-not-erect-posters-in-towns-around-wicklow-county/

Same in Cobh as well ..one side went ahead and put up posters. When somebody pointed it out they received abuse.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kencurtin/status/985150931913314304

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Please go back and read my story John. My lab results were done in England. They have phones they can contact me without me physically being there. My story was clinically interesting based on its rarity

This suggests the lab contacted you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Just passed an antichoice poster outside Kilmeaden in Waterford, anyone who knows the area will know of the very large posters (you could nearly call them billboards, they're HUGE) attached to a trailer near the roundabout, going on for the last 2-3 years now.
    The one up now has a picture of a foetus with the words "11 weeks, one of us". It made me laugh. Do you antichoice people have any idea how stupid these posters are?
    We are Borg, your biological distinctiveness will be added to our own, resistance is futile:pac: THAT IS LITERALLY WHAT YOU ANTICHOICE PEOPLE WANT:pac:

• Advertisement

erica74 wrote: »
    Just passed an antichoice poster outside Kilmeaden in Waterford, anyone who knows the area will know of the very large posters (you could nearly call them billboards, they're HUGE) attached to a trailer near the roundabout, going on for the last 2-3 years now.
    The one up now has a picture of a foetus with the words "11 weeks, one of us". It made me laugh. Do you antichoice people have any idea how stupid these posters are?
    We are Borg, your biological distinctiveness will be added to our own, resistance is futile:pac: THAT IS LITERALLY WHAT YOU ANTICHOICE PEOPLE WANT:pac:

I saw that slogan too - can they really not heard how much like a cult chant "ONE OF US" sounds?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement