Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Shadowstrife

I called the ESB a few days ago to report all the timber poll posters in my area.

She promptly brushed me off the line. Interesting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Cabaal wrote: »
    Pro life campaigners breaking the law by not only stopping illegally on a motorway to put these up (also illegal) but also then pulling out ladders and walking around.

For a group of people that claim to care about life they are looking to kill themselves and others with such idiotic actions.

Hope they are prosecuted for putting motorists at risk

[img][/img]https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/5198/448288.jpg

Its terrible isn't it!
    https://lovindublin.com/dublin/pro-life-pro-choice-posters-traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Saw a Yes poster today hung at very low height - pretty much at eye level when walking. I've never seen that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Three weeks to go before I am out of this country until 24th May. That was a deliberate choice. Back to vote, but miss the last minute frenzy and the shyte and the posters on the poles too. Yee ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

I'd love to ask an anti-abortion voter, to what lengths they would prevent me from accessing an abortion.

'Tie me up? Physically restrain me in hand-cuffs? Lock me in a cell? '

Nothing is the answer. Absolutely nothing. As long as it doesn't happen in a clinic or hospital here. NIMBY all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭applehunter

Saw a Yes poster today hung at very low height - pretty much at eye level when walking. I've never seen that before.

#midgets4repeal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

#midgets4repeal

The repeal campaign caters to people of all heights, instead of the pro-life one, which is clearly focused on people well over 10 feet tall!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If you have a disability, you're fair game, after your born, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

The repeal campaign caters to people of all heights, instead of the pro-life one, which is clearly focused on people well over 10 feet tall!! :mad:

It makes it easier to look down their noses at all the murderers from up on their ladders :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Derval O'Rourke has just tweeted her support for Repeal of the 8th

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

I called the ESB a few days ago to report all the timber poll posters in my area.

She promptly brushed me off the line. Interesting...

ESB generally do not have poles that line roadways, apart from in towns where ESB hasn't been undergrounded.

Most roadside poles are eir or are council lamp standards.

I have, and it will become a much more common sight as we approach polling day. Pole space will become scarce and you'll have up to 8 posters on some poles on roads in high density areas, like Ranelagh, Rathmines.

There are guidelines on political postering, but they are never adhered to

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

DubInMeath wrote: »

According the WHO
    Over the last 30 years, Ireland’s Maternal Mortality Rate (MMR) has been among the world’s lowest.

Ireland’s average MMR from 1985-2015 was 9
    The uk’s average MMR from 1985-2015 was 11
    http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/193994/WHO_RHR_15.23_eng.pdf;jsessionid=164E786A171B6FD879D9326F512512F1?sequence=1

Out of 183 countries measured by the WHO, Ireland’s ranking for MMR has remained consistently around joint 6th lowest, occasionally rising to 5th and dropping to 7th.
    http://cdn.thejournal.ie/media/2016/08/irelandmmr-4.jpg
    According to the Confidential Maternal Death Enquiry (MDE)
    For the triennium 2011 – 2013,
    the Irish MMR was 10.4 per 100,000 maternities and
    the UK MMR was 9.02 per 100,000 maternities.
    This does not represent a statistically significant difference in MMR between countries
    https://www.ucc.ie/en/media/research/maternaldeathenquiryireland/MDEIrelandDataBriefNo1December2015.pdf
    The WHO find we are a safer country in which to give birth than the uk
    The Confidential Maternal Death Enquiry finds we are statistically as safe.

And the pro choice campaign claims we're not
    We need to repeal the 8th amendment because it is endangering women's lives
    This is a fundamental claim of the pro choice side.
    This is the claim that is supposed to balance people's concern for the lives that will be ended by abortion.

What are you talking about. Do the facts mean nothing? Have you thought this through at all?

B0jangles wrote: »
    Since I was up the street, I took a couple of photos as proof:

d1cVPiw.jpg

All the NO campaign posters are highlighted in red.

UfheSlv.jpg

The ones illegally placed on ESB poles had been cut down this morning, but you can see the remains of the NO campaign poster left on the pole - the colour is identical to the ones still hanging.
    They don't look like ESB poles. The nearest pole is a Garda/council CCTV pole.

The rest look like council lamp standards. Unless they have wires strung between them, they are unlikely to be ESB.

DubInMeath wrote: »
    1 in 5 has been shown to be inaccurate but that's already been pointed out to you so not sure why you still think its a good one.

I welcome the fact that after quite a bit of discussion and the posting of undisputed statistics showing that "1 in 5" is not only true but marginally understates the abortion rate in england - and this being agreed to and pointed out to the rest of you by well informed pro choice posters - you are now reduced to mindlessly defiant denial.

No problem. It just gives me the chance to post the links to the relevant statistics again.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106608004

And although I am loathe to just repeat myself I think the only way to deal with this kind of denial is to post the links again each time it happens.

Your claims mightn't help advance the debate but I'd be delighted if you'd keep on doing what you're doing.

1 in 5 pregnancies in england end in abortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭swampgas

What are you talking about. Do the facts mean nothing? Have you thought this through at all?

The irony ...

Right now the 8th amendment, along with the 13th, and the availability of abortion pills over the internet, means that many Irish women can have abortions but not under Irish medical supervision, either by taking pills bought illegally or by travelling to another country such as the UK.

Women who cannot travel for elective abortions, or who are having medical issues with pregnancy and therefore stuck in a hospital, are defenceless against the way the 8th amendment forces doctors to take additional risks with their lives.

Maybe you can answer a straight question: what difference do you see, in moral or ethical terms, between an Irish woman having an abortion in the UK, and having the same abortion in Ireland?

(I won't hold my breath. And if you do answer, try to keep it brief. A thousand word monologue isn't necessary.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

So what?

Seriously - if 1 in 5 pregnancies are unwanted, why not abort?

What's your solution - ban abortion, and then what? Women will suddenly realise they really do want to be pregnant?

Do you think Irish women will thank you for "saving" them from a decision to have an abortion?
    Do you think they will be grateful that you rode in on your high horse to tell them how to think?
    Do you even care what Irish women think, as long as you can control their bodies while they are pregnant?

This post has been deleted.

That one may be, but the in the upper photo the CCTV pole and to the lamp posts are unlikely to be.

There are ESB poles in Bray and if the person had taken a photo 180degrees in the other direction, the poster would have captured them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

No problem. It just gives me the chance to post the links to the relevant statistics again.

Any stats on how many of those are FFA ?

• Advertisement

So? What's the point?

Given your other posts this statement is just comical.

Yes I have thought this through and I have researched, you made a statement that due to allowing abortion a poster received better care in Ireland than what they would have received in the UK because abortion is legal there, and still haven't provided any evidence of this.

The W.H.O (that's not the rock band just incase your confused again), the UN, even the master of the Rotunda have been critical of Irish abortion legislation and the effects that the 8th has on patient care, but perhaps these aren't the facts your interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

So of the remaining 4 in 5, how many end in miscarriage and how many end in live births?

Maybe if buffoons stopped spreading false info across their posters individuals might be inclined to not tear them down, I saw two women tearing one down on Glasnevin the other day while I was out on a stroll with herself, when I asked were they pro-choice they said no, they just don't feel the posters are appropriately representing their pro-life views - the poster in question was of an aborted 20 something week fetus and how the 8th will allow abortions to this stage to happen (even though it's been unanimously agreed that it's 12 weeks).

Again it hasn't been unanimously agreed that it's 12 weeks.
    I have laid out the argument here that what we are voting on is abortion on demand up to 24 weeks.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106660318
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106698935

And here are some links to posts presenting counterarguments to that, which the poster hasn't eventually given up on.

If you want to deny that we are voting on abortion on demand up to 24 weeks please add something to that list.
    All we need is a link to a post where this killer counterargument was made.

It seems fair to say that, in the end, the entire pro choice claim that Harris's schedule doesn't allow abortion on demand up to 24 weeks comes down to language.
    The uk, where they have abortion on demand on "mental health" grounds, speaks of risk of injury
    Our proposed laws talk of threat of serious harm.

1 Marie Stopes clinics, who don't give a toss what the law in england says, will be responsible for interpreting that difference
    2 In Australia, states where the wording was the even more extreme "threat of serious danger" - and where almost all abortions were caried out on this ground - had abortion rates among the highest in the developed world.

Thanks robarmstrong for the opportunity your post gave me to put this up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I have laid out the argument here that what we are voting on is abortion on demand up to 24 weeks.

FUD again

12 weeks

Again it hasn't been unanimously agreed that it's 12 weeks.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106660318
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106698935

And here are some links to posts presenting counterarguments to that, which the poster hasn't eventually given up on.

If you want to deny that we are voting on abortion on demand up to 24 weeks please add something to that list.
    All we need is a link to a post where this killer counterargument was made.

It seems fair to say that, in the end, the entire pro choice claim that Harris's schedule doesn't allow abortion on demand up to 24 weeks comes down to language.
    The uk, where they have abortion on demand on "mental health" grounds, speaks of risk of injury
    Our proposed laws talk of threat of serious harm.

1 Marie Stopes clinics, who don't give a toss what the law in england says, will be responsible for interpreting that difference
    2 In Australia, states where the wording was the even more extreme "threat of serious danger" - and where almost all abortions were caried out on this ground - had abortion rates among the highest in the developed world.

Thanks robarmstrong for the opportunity your post gave me to put this up again.

No abortion on demand up to 24 weeks, you've said this multiple times and you've been shown to be lying each time.

As said previously and you quoted the following article as support for this opinion, but no where in the article does it state this

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/government-will-seek-to-ban-late-term-abortions-1.3440056

Your just repeating your false statement at this point

<Same old drivel, something something 24 weeks>

Tell me Bertie - why don't you think women can be trusted to decide for themselves (having received medical advice where needed) whether or not they should have an abortion?

What's your fear? What do you think women would do if there really were "unrestricted" abortion?

swampgas wrote: »

Women who... are having medical issues with pregnancy and therefore stuck in a hospital, are defenceless against the way the 8th amendment forces doctors to take additional risks with their lives.
    If there was any truth at all to that wouldn't it have shown up as a higher Maternal Mortality Rate here than in the uk?
    swampgas wrote:
    Maybe you can answer a straight question: what difference do you see, in moral or ethical terms, between an Irish woman having an abortion in the UK, and having the same abortion in Ireland?

(I won't hold my breath. And if you do answer, try to keep it brief. A thousand word monologue isn't necessary.)

I'm pretty sure I don't understand your question.
    An abortion would have the same moral value to me wherever it took place.
    Feel free to clarify what you're getting at.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

What's with the fascination with England? Why not use all of the UK for stats or use France or Germany ?

Is it because they are cherry picking their "facts" or is it the case that they are trying to make some pathetic attempt to appeal to some peoples anti England sentiment?

Given the massive posters they have with parts of a fetus making up the union Jack I'm guessing it's a hate England thing... Utterly pathetic.

• Advertisement

If there was any truth at all to that wouldn't it have shown up as a higher Maternal Mortality Rate here than in the uk?
    If Savita Halappanavar hadn't been affected by the 8th the statistics would look even better. Whatever the stats are right now, repealing the 8th can only make them better.
    I'm pretty sure I don't understand your question. An abortion would have the same moral value to me wherever it took place.Feel free to clarify what you're getting at.

If an abortion has the same moral value anywhere, and abortion is already de facto legal for elective abortions for those with the means to travel, then surely there is no value to restricting where those abortions occur?

If an abortion is going to happen anyway, why do you care where it occurs?

Surely, from a moral perspective, your energy would be better spent campaigning for the UK to ban abortion again?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement