Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I wasn't a mother until my first child was born. I was just pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

No I did not, but thanks anyway.

If you think he was saying you were in favour of the No vote in the 2015 referendum, then ya, you did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

RobertKK wrote: »
    Some wouldn’t believe the Gardai are involved over the illegal removal of retain the 8th posters.

https://twitter.com/giftedtim/status/985981154024189953?s=21

Say the Garda would be very interested in this too.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10160261450765608&id=576200607

What's your thoughts on that Robert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

Well then why don't you post videos and articles from organisations advocating a yes vote and a no vote and suggest a discussion about the points they are making.

You could, yourself, just as easily highlight particular arguments made during debates and examine and scrutinize the points made.

Here's one for example.

How does Ruth Coppinger justify - or even get away with stating to Eamon O'Cuiv in the Dáil on 7th March 2017, that a pregnant woman isn't a mother till the baby is born?

Is there any pregnant woman who wouldn't be completely insulted by that comment considering the care and nuture they provide during the pregnancy to ensure the development of the baby?

Her comment got damn all coverage or criticism in the way that it would if a male politician like Ronan Mullen or Danny Healy Rae had said it.

Why is that?

Why didn't Broadsheet or Newsworthy tweet it and write articles transcribing her comments, like they have done with other public representatives?

A pregnant woman does not become a mother merely through pregnancy, to become a mother a woman must give birth.
    Its a quite simple fact really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

NuMarvel wrote: »
    If you think he was saying you were in favour of the No vote in the 2015 referendum, then ya, you did.

He said I wasn't fooling anyone. What do you suppose he meant by that other than insinuate I was one of the people who hopped onto boards to post during the marriage referendum and voted no?

He stated this "Throughout the SSM marriage campaign, boards was visited by many, many posters who were not against same-sex marriage and had no problems with the gays, sure one of their friends owns a pink shirt, but sadly, they had to vote No because the yes campaign was so gay and offensive and in their face all the time."

What else do you think he was insinuating?

• Advertisement

baylah17 wrote: »
    A pregnant woman does not become a mother merely through pregnancy, to become a mother a woman must give birth.

Christ above.

Do you seriously believe that if Ronan Mullen or Danny Healy Rae had said it that they would not have been accused of disrespect and sexism and devaluing women?

Christ above.

Do you seriously believe that if Ronan Mullen or Danny Healy Rae had said it that they would not have been accused of disrespect and sexism and devaluing women?

No. The constitution calls every pregnant person a mother. I didn't call myself a mother until my child was born. Pregnancy doesn't make you a mother any more than being a hospital porter makes you a nurse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Christ above.

??????????

None of the women I know considered themselves a mother until their first child was born. Zero. Zip.

lazygal wrote: »
    No. The constitution calls every pregnant person a mother. I didn't call myself a mother until my child was born. Pregnancy doesn't make you a mother any more than being a hospital porter makes you a nurse.

Well not everyone agrees with you

https://community.babycenter.com/post/a27596905/if_youre_pregnant_are_you_a_mom_poll

A short item on the page above:

"This Mother's Day I wished everyone on my Facebook who is a mother a Happy Mother's Day. This included mothers-to-be. Well, DH (dear husband) didn't acknowlege me at all today. I'm 38 weeks pregnant. His mother asked him what he was doing for me today and he said: "nothing. she's not a mother yet."

"That kind of hurt me. I mean, I am not minimizing the amount of work it is to be a mother when the baby/child is here. But growing this baby is a lot of work too!"

Is a pregnant woman a mother and should she be acknowledged on Mother's Day?

Yes she is and yes she should be.

Technically yes, she's a mother. But she shouldn't expect anything for Mother's Day.

She's not a mother and shouldn't be acknowledged on Mother's Day.

Total Votes: 539 Please login in to cast your vote

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

He said I wasn't fooling anyone. What do you suppose he meant by that other than insinuate I was one of the people who hopped onto boards to post during the marriage referendum and voted no?

He stated this "Throughout the SSM marriage campaign, boards was visited by many, many posters who were not against same-sex marriage and had no problems with the gays, sure one of their friends owns a pink shirt, but sadly, they had to vote No because the yes campaign was so gay and offensive and in their face all the time."

He was saying that you're a person that is pro life who is pretending to be open minded on the topic while posting pro life material. And people did the exact same during the marriage referendum. It's parallels rather than saying you opposed marriage referendum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,017 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Well not everyone agrees with you

https://community.babycenter.com/post/a27596905/if_youre_pregnant_are_you_a_mom_poll

Yes she is and yes she should be.

Technically yes, she's a mother. But she shouldn't expect anything for Mother's Day.

She's not a mother and shouldn't be acknowledged on Mother's Day.

Total Votes: 539 Please login in to cast your vote
    Wow, a poll of 500 people.
    On an American website.
    That's representative of 2018 Ireland ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

It is abundantly clear from the rest of his post that he is saying you are engaging in similar behaviour, not that you voted one way or the other:
    Those people were always going to vote No, they just wanted to shift the blame for their intolerance to the other side.

Likewise here you are posting absolute walls of prolife talking points and videos while pretending that you are on the fence and now threatening to vote No if we aren't super nice to you.

Zubes made no reference to your vote in the 2015 referendum, because it isn't relevant. What's relevant is that you are behaving in a manner similar to some No voters in that referendum as explained by Zubes above.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Wow, a poll of 500 people.
    On an American website.
    That's representative of 2018 Ireland ;)

It doesn't really matter how many took part, the point is nor everyone goes along with the claim made.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

pitifulgod wrote: »
    He was saying that you're a person that is pro life who is pretending to be open minded on the topic while posting pro life material. And people did the exact same during the marriage referendum. It's parallels rather than saying you opposed marriage referendum.

To be honest, given the way he's been treating my post, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the poster knew this but continues to misrepresent it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Christ above.

What?

The only way this sentence makes any sense is if you think becoming a mother inherently increases a woman's value.

A person who is pregnant is not a mother, she is an 'expectant mother' (or simply 'a pregnant woman', or however else she prefers to refer to herself) until the pregnancy ends and the baby is born.

Do we call men whose partners are pregnant 'fathers' or 'expectant fathers' or 'fathers-to-be'?

NuMarvel wrote: »
    It is abundantly clear from the rest of his post that he is saying you are engaging in similar behaviour, not that you voted one way or the other:

Zubes made no reference to your vote in the 2015 referendum, because it isn't relevant. What's relevant is that you are behaving in a manner similar to some No voters in that referendum as explained by Zubes above.

I am asking questions of the arguments being made about abortion.

Is that wrong?

B0jangles wrote: »
    What?

The only way this sentence makes any sense is if you think becoming a mother inherently increases a woman's value.

A person who is pregnant is not a mother, she is an 'expectant mother' until the pregnancy ends and the baby is born.

Do we call men whose partners are pregnant 'fathers' or 'expectant fathers' or 'fathers-to-be'?

Isn't the difference there that the father doesn't have a living being growing inside him?

Anyway you are avoiding the point which is why didn't she receive any criticism, considering if it had been stated by Ronan Mullen you can be sure he'd get criticized.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Women who had had miscarriages but no other children are now mothers according to this. Interesting but I advise not trying to explain this to one of those.

What?

A person who is pregnant is not a mother, she is an 'expectant mother' (or simply 'a pregnant woman', or however else she prefers to refer to herself) until the pregnancy ends and the baby is born.

I like the way you use the phrase "pregnancy ends and baby is born", indicating that the ending of a pregnancy is not an accurate phrase with which to reference abortion.

Isn't the difference there that the father doesn't have a living being growing inside him?

Anyway you are avoiding the point which is why didn't she receive any criticism, considering if it had been stated by Ronan Mullen you can be sure he'd get criticized.

It is a difference certainly, it is not the only difference - the major difference that they share is neither person is a parent until the pregnancy ends and the child is born.

• Advertisement

Women who had had miscarriages but no other children are now mothers according to this. Interesting but I advise not trying to explain this to one of those.

People can call themselves mothers if they want.
    I didn't call myself a mother until my first child was born. I was and still am not solely a mother. No one has to describe themselves as per a constitutional definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

Are you still pretending to be open to a discussion? I imagine Ronan Mullen tends to get more flack because he effectively represents religious orders more so than the actual public. This includes sexist jabs and offensive remarks with the full knowledge he's causing offence.

It is a difference certainly, it is not the only difference - the major difference that they share is neither person is a parent until the pregnancy ends and the child is born.

Well I think that view is disrespectful not to consider that the pregnant woman is a mother because of the way the pregnancy changes the routine and circumstances.

How many times do you need it explained , a fetus is NOT a living human being.
    Get over it and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,017 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It doesn't really matter how many took part, the point is nor everyone goes along with the claim made.
    Yes, of 500 americans, some agreed with you.
    That doesn't help your position. May as well post that some Saudis are anti-repeal.
    +1
    I don't know how many more strawmen the No side can put on the table.

I like the way you use the phrase "pregnancy ends and baby is born", indicating that the ending of a pregnancy is not an accurate phrase with which to reference abortion.

For a person who is keen to seek out truth, you are extraordinarily quick to attempt twist to people's words.

I was attempting (possibly clumsily, and if so I apologise to anyone I've unintentionally hurt) to include situations in which wanted pregnancies end in stillbirth.

How many times do you need it explained , a fetus is NOT a living human being.
    Get over it and move on.

I take it you believe it just starts living after 9 months in the womb.

What could it be only human, a human foetus, that it is created by two other separate humans?

pitifulgod wrote: »
    Are you still pretending to be open to a discussion? I imagine Ronan Mullen tends to get more flack because he effectively represents religious orders more so than the actual public. This includes sexist jabs and offensive remarks with the full knowledge he's causing offence.
    Yup

The same prick who abused Savitas memory by claiming she never wanted to be pregnant!!!
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/ronan-mullen-strongly-criticised-for-comments-on-savita-1.3262015

“If there was abortion on demand she wouldn’t have been in the hospital because she wouldn’t have been pregnant and she wouldn’t have been having a miscarriage.”

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

lazygal wrote: »
    The constitution calls every pregnant person a mother.

Only in the 8th amendment, in the idiotic text we are about to delete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

He didn't say it, and he's not getting abuse, so it's a non argument.

So, seeing as you're on the fence (Hah.) What do you see as the arguments in favour of Repeal?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement